Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot out for 6 weeks **2009/10 Season**

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]out of interest Dabos, and I respect your point of view, how many of Ikeme's twelve starts for Wolves have you actually seen, and I mean in there entirity not just highlights ?

I have seen Ikeme play once. I have only seen Randolph play once as well. I realise this doesn't give me much to go by!

My main gripe is that the reasons given above for playing Randolph instead of Ikeme are "he deserves a chance" rather than "he's a better keeper". I trust Parky to make the right choice, whatever that may be!
  • Options
    hope randolph gets hes chance,for some reason im worried with him as number one though,not really a safe pair of hands.
  • Options
    Randolph deserves another chance but, like Nolly, I have reservations from my admittedly limited sightings of him in action.
  • Options
    league cup game comes to mind,im worried,but he has to start i guess.
  • Options
    I believe Wolves would only allow Ikeme to come to us knowing he was going to play in the first team.

There isn't really a benefit to Wolves in letting us have him if he won't play.
  • Options
    Randolph was for a long time regarded as the better prospect than Elliot so he can't be that bad, sounds like him and Ikeme are prone to a clanger but lets be honest, whoever plays will get ridiculed here if they make a mistake and people will be having a go at Parky for not going for the other one.
    Parky has a difficult decision to make (like Pardew in april 08 with Elliot and Randolph for Saints), lets just hope whoever plays does themsleves justice
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Randolph was for a long time regarded as the better prospect than Elliot

That is true. His play for Ireland youth nationals pegged him a real prospect and a keeper for the future.
    Elliot has done well, and won over a lot of doubters.
    This is Randolph's opportunity, and he needs to grab it.
  • Options
    Exactly AA.

When Weaver got sent off in the 3rd minute at Argyle, a very nervous Elliot took his place and was all at sea for the first 10 mins. But after making his first save and taking his first cross, he visibly grew in confidence.From then on he put in a very good performance - one stunning full length save in the last few minutes preserved our 2-1 lead and the 3 points.

He should of course have started the next match, with Weaver suspended. Pardew thought differently - no doubt because he personally regarded Randolph as the better keeper. Or was it, with Randolph's cracking Anfield performance and a string of Ireland U-21 caps, he was regarded as the more experienced keeper .... ?

Well, we all know Randolph had a bit of a shocker that day against Southampton.

He's got to be confident in himself that he can seize this chance, regardless of how good a reputation the Wolves' loanee has. 18 months on, he'll know that it's now or never for him at Charlton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Well, we all know Randolph had a bit of a shocker that day against Southampton.

Not his finest moment - but Paddy Spacarthy was as much at fault for the goal.

I think Randy will be fine - in fact I'd say he is one of the better backup keepers in this league!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't see this as a massive problem.

Fans are basically stupid and wrote Randolph off after a dodgy performance in an early game and because we shipped 4 in an away game that most didn't see (he was our man of the match - Brian Laws said this in the PC after the game)... but he got rotated and Robbie did the biz. If Robbie had had a similar start then the gloves could have been on the other hand. Eliott has gotten better and better and deserves the spot, but for long enough the two were seen as completely equal, there's no reason why Darren can't fill in.

Football is a fickle business and he'll know that he's got every chance of taking the spot now, which was never going to happen while Eliott was playing well. Comptetion for places is always good news.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]6 weeks for an abductor muscle? Have we given P45s to all our physiotherapists? I had one many years ago and was back competing in 3 weeks after one visit to a physio who gave me a series of stretching exercises.

If you're reading Robbie, stretch the arm on your injured side over your head and hold. Also grab your opposite foot behind your back and pull down with leg ((carefully).
    youndont stretch a torn muscle maybe a tight adductor/abductor but you need to rest torn muscles!
  • Options
    wouldn't it depend on

1. How bad the damage is

2. Which sport you were playing and at what level

Can't really make a valid comparison otherwise
  • Options
    Surely it must be Randolph on Saturday as he knows all the 1st team players and they know him,whilst he hasn't played in the 1st team he is part of it and trains with it so he must be more at home in the team than Ikeme who has just arrived and doesn't know any of our players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Surely it must be Randolph on Saturday as he knows all the 1st team players and they know him,whilst he hasn't played in the 1st team he is part of it and trains with it so he must be more at home in the team than Ikeme who has just arrived and doesn't know any of our players.

I'd go with Randolph on the basis that he's been loyal - signing an extension to his contract (or was it a one year deal?) and we've seen the wisdom of drafting in loanees and playing them in the starting XI before they know their colleague's names. Over the last few seasons that has put too many noses out of joint. Give Randolph at least the next two matches and go from there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I'd go with Randolph on the basis that he's been loyal - signing an extension to his contract (or was it a one year deal?) and we've seen the wisdom of drafting in loanees and playing them in the starting XI before they know their colleague's names. Over the last few seasons that has put too many noses out of joint. Give Randolph at least the next two matches and go from there.
    Have to agree with that. Thought about it, can understand why we'd consider starting Ikeme if he's the better player, but if we aren't prepared to give Randolph a chance and use him as the second choice 'keeper we shouldn't have kept him.

He's been criticized for mistakes in the past, but he's never had a proper run of games and as a 'keeper he probably won't be at his peak until his in his 30s.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]6 weeks for an abductor muscle? Have we given P45s to all our physiotherapists? I had one many years ago and was back competing in 3 weeks after one visit to a physio who gave me a series of stretching exercises.

If you're reading Robbie, stretch the arm on your injured side over your head and hold. Also grab your opposite foot behind your back and pull down with leg ((carefully).
    youndont stretch a torn muscle maybe a tight adductor/abductor but you need to rest torn muscles!

Not to repair the muscle but to release the fluid that builds up between the ribs and makes the injury so painful (apparently)
  • Options
    The new keeper will go straight in, never been convinced by Randolph and he will get a couple of outings to prove himself in the cup. You pick the best for the job not on ifthey deserve a chance and my feeling is it will be the Wolves keeper.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I agree with CAFCBourne, Dabos etc. I've never been confident in Randolph - too many David James-esque howlers for my liking. If Ikeme is the better keeper - and I'll trust Parky's opinion on that - then in he goes.

Terrible shame for Robbie - get well soon.
  • Options
    What's the point of paying Randolph's salary if he's not good enough to step in, when needed?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]What's the point of paying Randolph's salary if he's not good enough to step in, when needed?

Umm - i think you might find that most clubs make sure they have at least two fit keepers at all times. We had no money in the summer, so bringing in another keeper was not a priority. Now one of them is unfit, so we need to bring one in. If we can get a BETTER one in on loan, then surely he plays? What's the point of not playing your better keeper if you are trying to go for promotion?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]What's the point of paying Randolph's salary if he's not good enough to step in, when needed?

Umm - i think you might find that most clubs make sure they have at least two fit keepers at all times. We had no money in the summer, so bringing in another keeper was not a priority. Now one of them is unfit, so we need to bring one in. If we can get a BETTER one in on loan, then surely he plays? What's the point of not playing your better keeper if you are trying to go for promotion?

Agree 100% with you there Weegie. The point isn't that Randolph isn't necessary, it's just if a better keeper becomes available I'd rather he play (that reasoning is based on the assumption that Ikeme is better). I think the decision should be based on ability rather than loyalty in this case.

Over to Parky.
  • Options
    "Ikeme qualifies to play for Nigeria but, despite being called into the Super Eagles' squad on several occasions, he is still waiting to feature for his country."

Mate of Sam Sodje's ........ ?
  • Options
    I take it Ikeme is Wolves third choice keeper .... ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I take it Ikeme is Wolves third choice keeper .... ?

Looks like it, Hahnemann gets on their bench at the moment.
  • Options
    Must be pretty bad to have Hahnemann ahead of him!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Parky[/cite]“I’ve spoken to Darren and explained the situation to him,” said the Charlton manager. “He’s frustrated because he wants to be playing first-team football.

“We’ve said to Darren that if he’s not pushing Rob out of the team by January then we’ll look to let him go, possibly on a permanent basis."
  • Options
    “We’ve said to Darren that if he’s not pushing Rob out of the team by January then we’ll look to let him go, possibly on a permanent basis."[/quote][/quote]

Am not surprised Parky will consider letting him go, funny how Elliot goes from the verge of possibly being released to being our undisputed number 1 in 2 years, whereas Randolph goes from potential number 1 and a great performance at Anfield to in reality a 3rd choice League 1 keeper!
  • Options
    I can only imagine Randolph's attitude is not to Parky's liking. We saw it last year at Hereford, and if anyone saw his warm up at Carlisle, he looked so disinterested and like he didn't want to be there.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]funny how Elliot goes from the verge of possibly being released to being our undisputed number 1 in 2 years

look what league we're in , most of our players have found their level ....