Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot out for 6 weeks **2009/10 Season**

Comments

• Options
    Rob is injured and appears to be out for several weeks. This injury occurred on Monday or Tuesday this week and is his arm. Let's see what happens and for fecks sake support the young keeper if he is used.
  • Options
    IF true then Worner would become back-up to a more experienced loanee. That has been stated from the day he signed.
  • Options
    Need this confirming. He rang Dave Berry live on XFM yesterday morning - did he mentione it then??
  • Options
    Also need title of this thread changing - very confusing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Also need title of this thread changing - very confusing.

agree. Wish a new thread had been started. As B said we need this confirming. Bad news if true.
  • Options
    Last October Parkinson on the signing of Ikeme: “Obviously Wolves want him to play, but there’s nothing written in the contract and I don't want to reveal my team to you today.
    “We’ve brought a keeper in, we think he’s a very good keeper and we'll make a decision before the weekend.
    “Carl can’t play in the Cup next week.
    “Darren is going to play live on ITV, a big game for himself and for us. Darren understands the situation and we’ll just make a decision tomorrow after we’ve looked at both keepers in training.”

Quote from Parky today:

“It is difficult for me to say on that one because I was in this situation last year where sometimes you get a loan keeper and the only reason you can get him is because the club wants him to play."

Just for those who were ultra critical when some of us made the point that Ikeme was always going to play in front of Randolph regardless of what Randy did in training.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Last October Parkinson on the signing of Ikeme: “Obviously Wolves want him to play, but there’s nothing written in the contract and I don't want to reveal my team to you today.
    “We’ve brought a keeper in, we think he’s a very good keeper and we'll make a decision before the weekend.
    “Darren is going to play live on ITV, a big game for himself and for us. Darren understands the situation andwe’ll just make a decision tomorrow after we’ve looked at both keepers in training.”

Quote from Parky today:

“It is difficult for me to say on that one because I was in this situation last year where sometimes you get a loan keeper and the only reason you can get him is because the club wants him to play."

Just for those who were ultra critical when some of us made the point that Ikeme was always going to play in front of Randolph regardless of what Randy did in training.

"sometimes you get a loan keeper and the only reason you can get him is because the club wants him to play"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Last October Parkinson on the signing of Ikeme: “Obviously Wolves want him to play, but there’s nothing written in the contract and I don't want to reveal my team to you today.
    “Darren is going to play live on ITV, a big game for himself and for us. Darren understands the situation andwe’ll just make a decision tomorrow after we’ve looked at both keepers in training.”

Quote from Parky today:

"sometimesyou get a loan keeper and the only reason you can get him is because the club wants him to play"

Dabos - I think you really are clutching at straws here. Following his spell with us Ikeme went on and played for the rest of the season in the Championship for Sheff Utd and QPR. On that basis alone do you really think that Wolves sent a keeper to us to warm the bench?

All this shows is that Parky had no confidence in giving the shirt to Randy. In the same way that he has no confidence in giving the shirt to Worner. The difference is that Randy had League experience behind him and was an U21 International and had been waiting for more than five years for his chance. When it was eventually forced upon Parky to put him in the Team Randy proved his worth but, having already undermined him in October by telling him he could go, he was hardly going to jump at the opportunity to play for a Manager who had previously looked elesewhere.

And who recommended Randy to Craig Brown? Christian Dailly. With their wealth of playing and managing at the highest level should know a decent keeper when they see one.

So we're back to square one now. Scrambling around to find a keeper for tomorrow all because Parky made totally the wrong decision last October. Why did he not just go for someone like Warner on a short term contract to the end of the season, give Randy the job and if it didn't work out he always had someone with experience to fall back on?

Finally, it is somewhat absurd that Parky has no less than six Centre Backs (Dailly, Docherty, Llera, Fortune, Fry & Mambo) as opposed to three for most of last season but only ONE estbalished Keeper. It just simply doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]

Quote from Parky today:

"sometimesyou get a loan keeper and the only reason you can get him is because the club wants him to play"

Dabos - I think you really are clutching at straws here. Following his spell with us Ikeme went on and played for the rest of the season in the Championship for Sheff Utd and QPR. On that basis alone do you really think that Wolves sent a keeper to us to warm the bench?

All this shows is that Parky had no confidence in giving the shirt to Randy. In the same way that he has no confidence in giving the shirt to Worner. The difference is that Randy had League experience behind him and was an U21 International and had been waiting for more than five years for his chance. When it was eventually forced upon Parky to put him in the Team Randy proved his worth but, having already undermined him in October by telling him he could go, he was hardly going to jump at the opportunity to play for a Manager who had previously looked elesewhere.

And who recommended Randy to Craig Brown? Christian Dailly. With their wealth of playing and managing at the highest level should know a decent keeper when they see one.

So we're back to square one now. Scrambling around to find a keeper for tomorrow all because Parky made totally the wrong decision last October. Why did he not just go for someone like Warner on a short term contract to the end of the season, give Randy the job and if it didn't work out he always had someone with experience to fall back on?

Finally, it is somewhat absurd that Parky has no less than six Centre Backs (Dailly, Docherty, Llera, Fortune, Fry & Mambo) as opposed to three for most of last season but only ONE estbalished Keeper. It just simply doesn't make any sense.

But if that really is the case, that we had to play Ikeme, then ANY goalkeeper we'd have got in on loan would've had to play. We had to get a goalkeeper in on loan for the same reason we have got to get a keeper in on loan for tomorrow - we've got no backup. Therefore he got the best keeper in on loan and played him. And seeing that Ikeme is now playing in the Championship and Randolph in the Scottish Premiership, you could argue that Ikeme is the better keeper anyway. I haven't seen enough of either of them to make that call.

I can sort of understand the short term deal argument, but if Parky thought Ikeme was a better keeper than Warner and Randolph then it was the correct call to get him in. Same as for tomorrow - he should get in the BEST goalkeeper he can, regardless of whether that's on a short term deal or on loan.
  • Options
    WSS - could you please get rid of the Carl Ikeme signed from Wolves in the thread title?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Quote from Parky today:

But if that really is the case, that we had to play Ikeme, then ANY goalkeeper we'd have got in on loan would've had to play. We had to get a goalkeeper in on loan for the same reason we have got to get a keeper in on loan for tomorrow - we've got no backup. Therefore he got the best keeper in on loan and played him. And seeing that Ikeme is now playing in the Championship and Randolph in the Scottish Premiership, you could argue that Ikeme is the better keeper anyway. I haven't seen enough of either of them to make that call.

I can sort of understand the short term deal argument, but if Parky thought Ikeme was a better keeper than Warner and Randolph then it was the correct call to get him in. Same as for tomorrow - he should get in the BEST goalkeeper he can, regardless of whether that's on a short term deal or on loan.

The short term fix is where the problem lies namely because it undermined Randy's position for a keeper who was never going to be with us for long. I would go also as far to say that Ikeme played no better in his time with us than Randy did which rather proves that Parky got it wrong. Because we lost someone who would be our number one if only by virtue of the fact that he is no worse than Robbie but also less injury prone.
  • Options
    This is annoying this thread, firstly the title secondly talking about something last season who cares its been done nothing can change it now. all in hindsight personally i dont care, other then if he was to come back which will never happen
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]This is annoying this thread, firstly the title secondly talking about something last season who cares its been done nothing can change it now. all in hindsight personally i dont care, other then if he was to come back which will never happen

Agree we've gone off on a tangent a bit, but the discussion is really about did Parky make a poor decision last season, and has a made a poor decision this season. I think what's happened is unfortunate rather than poor management.

I personally think Randolph would've left anyway, as Motherwell were prepared to guarantee him first team football - something we weren't prepared to do given we had Elliot. Had we guaranteed Randolph the number 1 spot, Elliot may have left.
  • Options
    If only all of us could always get every decision 100% right...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]This is annoying this thread, firstly the title secondly talking about something last season who cares its been done nothing can change it now. all in hindsight personally i dont care, other then if he was to come back which will never happen

Firstly it's not hindsight because it was predicted by some on this thread exactly what did happen.

Secondly, should we ban talking about Jonjo because that's hind sight too?

Thirdly what is hindsight about having SIX current Centre Backs and only one established Keeper?

Agree about the thread title though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]If only all of us could always get every decision 100% right...

Two we know about relating to last season Weggie. Two that might just have made the difference between being in the Championship now instead of League 1. Unless, of course, you believe that playing Randy and Jonjo would have meant relegation!
  • Options
    Nothing has been 'proved', none of us know whether Ikeme had to play or not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Nothing has been 'proved', none of us know whether Ikeme had to play or not.

I think I'd have a better chance of proving it than not. What is clear is that Parky didn't think Randy was good enough and that has been proven wrong. Or do you still think Randy isn't good enough for League 1 but the former Scotland Manager (took Scotland to two Euros I believe) and our Captain cleraly thinks that he is. Unless, of course you regard the Scottish Premier League and UEFA Comppetitions to be a lower standard than League 1.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Nothing has been 'proved', none of us know whether Ikeme had to play or not.

I think I'd have a better chance of proving it than not. What is clear is that Parky didn't think Randy was good enough and that has been proven wrong. Or do you still think Randy isn't good enough for League 1 but the former Scotland Manager (took Scotland to two Euros I believe) and our Captain cleraly thinks that he is. Unless, of course you regard the Scottish Premier League and UEFA Comppetitions to be a lower standard than League 1.

But it cannot be proved either way unless you have a word with Parky/Ikeme/Randolph :)

I do think Randolph is good enough for League 1. I have never denied that. But I don't believe he is streets ahead of Ikeme, and believe Parky made the correct decision in getting the best keeper in he could, and if he had to play him then so be it. Getting in a backup keeper would've left us in the same situation had Randolph then got injured - the backup wouldn't have been considered good enough and we'd have had to have signed someone else. I cannot understand any argument which suggests getting in a keeper not as good as the best available. We've kind of gone against that this season with Worner, but that money saved has probably allowed us to bring in Anyinsah.

We're going round in circles now. I haven't got anything else to say.
  • Options

Firstly it's not hindsight because it was predicted by some on this thread exactly what did happen.

Secondly, should we ban talking about Jonjo because that's hind sight too?

Thirdly what is hindsight about having SIX current Centre Backs and only one established Keeper?

Agree about the thread title though.

Funny enough i was going to post on the shelvey thread :P

agree with the 6 CB 1 keeper though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i think if randy had played a whole season we may have got promoted .... parky's choice of no.1 was not right
  • Options
    I think your probably right about the choice of keeper, but I can't help thinking had Elliott been in goal for the penalties he may have done better with them than Randy did with his record of saving them.
  • Options
    agree plaaayer but then you or i couldn't have done worse (in the shootout)
  • Options
    Your not wrong mate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]If only all of us could always get every decision 100% right...

Two we know about relating to last season Weggie. Two that might just have made the difference between being in the Championship now instead of League 1. Unless, of course, you believe that playing Randy and Jonjo would have meant relegation!
    LOL. And all this from the bloke who spent the whole of last season banging on about how Chris Dickson was a quality striker and should have been leading our attack. So surely that's THREE decisions you are adamant Parky got wrong.
  • Options
    As I said in the Luke Daniels thread I don't see the issue with the number of centre backs.

We have four first team centre backs, which is about right. Parky wanted 4 last season but we got by with 3 plus versatile players.

Mambo is a young pro who we have just sent out on loan and gave a game to in the League Cup.

Fry like Martin, Jackson etc is a versatile player. With Fortune still getting fit he's ideal as an alternative at CB, gives us more pace than our other options.

I doubt we're spending much in wages with Fortune on a contract until Christmas, Mambo on his first pro deal and Fry a West Ham reserve.

We didn't necessarily need Fortune but we've potentially got a very good player if he gets fit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]

LOL. And all this from the bloke who spent the whole of last season banging on about how Chris Dickson was a quality striker and should have been leading our attack. So surely that's THREE decisions you are adamant Parky got wrong.

He got two wrong and one right possibly. The two he got wrong might have made a difference. The one he got wrong probably wouldn't. In any case, we're all entitled to get one wrong but two......

In any case having six CBs and only one keeper surely makes it 3-1 to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]As I said in the Luke Daniels thread I don't see the issue with the number of centre backs.

We have four first team centre backs, which is about right. Parky wanted 4 last season but we got by with 3 plus versatile players.

Mambo is a young pro who we have just sent out on loan and gave a game to in the League Cup.

Fry like Martin, Jackson etc is a versatile player. With Fortune still getting fit he's ideal as an alternative at CB, gives us more pace than our other options.

I doubt we're spending much in wages with Fortune on a contract until Christmas, Mambo on his first pro deal and Fry a West Ham reserve.

We didn't necessarily need Fortune but we've potentially got a very good player if he gets fit.

I hear what you say Scoham and can't disagree with much of what you say save the business of not getting in a Keeper who could take over in the likely event of Robbie being injured. When Randy left Parky said that we would get a replacement for him "no doubt". Maybe he meant Worner to be Randy's replacement 'cos he clearly had/ has no faith in either of them and will only get a chance when the situation became/becomes unavoidable.

I hope that Luke proveves his worth and have no problem whatsoever in him going straight into the Team. The Randy situation was all together different and to be honest I have been trying to work out quite why I was so upset with the way Randy was treated. I suppose, ultimately, it comes down to the fact that we are asked to support the development of our kids (which we do through Valley Gold) and that the whim of a Manager who maybe here today and gone tomorrow can undo all that time and investment. And in Randy's case there never was any need for it to happen.and I firmly believe that he has all the credentials to go on to bigger and better things for which we as a Club will get no return.
  • Options

He got two wrong and one right possibly. The two he got wrong might have made a difference. The one he got wrong probably wouldn't. In any case, we're all entitled to get one wrong but two......

Adddick if you want to go down that line why not Daily? Jackson? Doc? Reid? Martin? Burton last season he has got more then just one thing right and at the mo we are in the mix and not doing as bad as people are making out. with the outgoings end of the season and the threat of admin i am settled at the moment he is doing a good job and if we fail to get promoted this year or at least play offs then i will decide that he is not good enough
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]

Adddick if you want to go down that line why not Daily? Jackson? Doc? Reid? Martin? Burton last season he has got more then just one thing right and at the mo we are in the mix and not doing as bad as people are making out. with the outgoings end of the season and the threat of admin i am settled at the moment he is doing a good job and if we fail to get promoted this year or at least play offs then i will decide that he is not good enough

mmmm apart from Dailly and Burton for the first half of last season how many of them have proven themselves to be roaring successes? They might do in time but not yet. Oh and can I add Leon McKenzie to my list - you know the "goalscorer" who was always "so close to being fit" according to Parky but never quite close enough to start a match despite being on the bench for countless games.

As you say the proof will be in the eating and I hope, of course, that Parky takes us up.