Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brighton vs. Charlton (1/12/09) - Poll, Views, Team, Rambles

WSSWSS
edited November 2009 in General Charlton
After having a rest on quite a few of our rivals (including this week’s opponents) Charlton should be ready and raring to go against Brighton on Tuesday night.

After scoring 10 goals in the past 3 games we should be going into this game full of hope and expectation to win. However, with no away win in the league since August we really need to start picking up maximum points on our travels because every time we lose or draw in the away fixtures we are increasing the pressure on winning our games at The Valley (we’re doing OK in that respect of course).

Palace’s greatest rivals are sitting a single place above the League One relegation zone and after the initial ‘bump’ that Gus Poyet’s arrival gave them with wins against Southampton and Wycombe, the two following league fixtures saw them lose to two of our closest rivals in Leeds and Norwich conceding 7 goals and scoring only one. We need to meet this benchmark.

You can’t really see many changes from the team that started against Bristol Rovers last week unless they are enforced (Elliot in goal for the Sheffield Utd bound Ikeme). Although Jonjo looked out-of-sorts for parts of the game on Tuesday I fully expect Parky to give him another chance by the seaside. The lack of info on Kelly is in my mind "no news, good news", although Richardson looks on his way back regardless.

One decision that needs to be made is do you sacrifice the passing of Llera for the aggression of Sodje of the Sam variety. May be controversial, but I’d stick with Llera.

Goals are being spread amongst the team recently, confidence should be running high so all we need to do is top it off with a hard fought 2-0 win.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Charlton win, although Brighton have been a bit unpredictable of late.

Randolph (assuming Elliot is still unfit) should get a start, hopefully Richardson back and Racon will be raring to go after a week off.

--Randolph--
    Richardson-Sodje-Dailly-Basey
    --Semedo--
    Sam-Bailey-Racon
    Burton-Mooney

With Akpo Sodje on the bench.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    sodje question x 2.

Sam to return? Does Dailly need a rest or is he too important?

Akpo to start or stick with mooney and Burton?

Otherwise stick with a winning side bar injuries.

1 nil win to the Addicks
  • Options
    Elliot, Richardson and Sodje to return for Ikeme, Basey and Llera if all are fit.

If Kelly doesn't make it then Basey keeps his place.

Shelvey can't just have one game, should be kept on.

Akpo stays on the bench, another 30 min cameo in preparation for what should probably be a full home debut against Southend.

I put down a draw. Can't see our winless streak away from homing coming to an end until Stockport...
  • Options
    Basey is playing very well at the moment, ISaw ........solid, intelligent and effective performances,
  • Options
    Sam S back, we need strong defenders away, even at the cost of some creativity, Youga or Richardson at RB, if Richardson back Kelly at LB. Sam at LM and Waggy at RM, with the two swapping over, Mooney & Burton to start, would love to start Akpoe, but who do you drop.

This is a must win for me, as we have too many breathing down our necks
  • Options
    Every single match is a must win, Kap ......compared to a must draw or must lose match.

;o)
  • Options
    we throw away a two goal lead 2-2
  • Options
    sixteen nil.......
  • Options
    Sorry, whos on 4 bookings.........
    know its mainly the defenders...........?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Sorry, whos on 4 bookings.........
    know its mainly the defenders...........?

Youga
    Llera
    Dailey
    Semado
    McLeod
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks JH2.
    Is worth one or 2 of these getting a late booking on Tuesday to make sure they're not all suspended at the same time ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Thanks JH2.
    Is worth one or 2 of these getting a late booking on Tuesday to make sure they're not all suspended at the same time ?

But that's cheating MoG ;-)
  • Options
    I wouldn't go as far as to say this a 'must-win' but it's really time we start cementing ourselves in the top 2 as Leeds have done, rather than simply being the current leaders of a chasing pack of 3 or 4. I feel right now we have the form and fixtures to push on and give ourselves some breathing space in leaner times, so we need to start winning some away games.

2-0 Charlton
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]I wouldn't go as far as to say this a 'must-win' but it's really time we start cementing ourselves in the top 2 as Leeds have done, rather than simply being the current leaders of a chasing pack of 3 or 4. I feel right now we have the form and fixtures to push on and give ourselves some breathing space in leaner times, so we need to start winning some away games.

2-0 Charlton

yup, agree with that.
  • Options
    Difficult match with Slade in charge they were a bit all over the place. Personally I'd look to start with 4-5-1.

As much as I'd like to rest Dailly, he and Burton are the two most crucial players in however we play. Both those players would be first on my team sheet. Maybe just maybe I might rest Dailly for a few games in winter, but only against weak teams and if we were playing two a week and fitness wise he was struggling; fortunately that appears far from the truth. I do think, with regards to spare finance, that we need to look at bringing in another central defender who is a positional rock as I'd be massively feardul of a Llera and Sodje partnership.
  • Options
    Don't change a winning team assuming everyone is fit.

Hope we can pick up a win in this one but fear that we won't as Brighton need the points too.
  • Options
    3-1 Charlton and im not going to predict the team
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    Shelvey can't just have one game, should be kept on. .

Very bad managemant if that is the case
  • Options
    team

Elliot

Youga Sodje Daily Basey

Sam Bailey Semedo Racon

Sodje Burton

Tough choices in there, hopefully Youga will be fit!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]team

Elliot

Youga Sodje Daily Basey

Sam Bailey Semedo Racon

Sodje Burton
    And why out of interest would you make all those changes from a winning team ??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well it was a far from convincing win, lets be honest. Sam Sodje is one of our best players so needs to be playing. Elliot for obvious reasons if hes fit. Racon in as I know theres a great performance coming from him, theres just gotta be and in all honestly theres not many other options for a position noone really wants to play. Akpo deserves a start, but then again wouldn't be fussed to see Mooney play and Akpo come on with half hour left or even earlier if we ain't winning.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]Well it was a far from convincing win, lets be honest. Sam Sodje is one of our best players so needs to be playing. Elliot for obvious reasons if hes fit. Racon in as I know theres a great performance coming from him, theres just gotta be and in all honestly theres not many other options for a position noone really wants to play. Akpo deserves a start, but then again wouldn't be fussed to see Mooney play and Akpo come on with half hour left or even earlier if we ain't winning.

So Racon in because you feel one dayb he'll have a good game,thats interesting. Why does Akpo desevre a start if mooney is scoring? Surely anyone that knows anything about football knows that for a forward confidence is everything. The last thing you want to do with a forward thats scoring is drop him
  • Options
    Well that reason for Racon and cause theres noone better than him to play there.... we need a left winger big time imo

You can turn that on its head though can't you, Sodje has scored in the last two games... not gonna do much for his confidence if he keeps scoring yet not getting starts.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]Well that reason for Racon and cause theres noone better than him to play there.... we need a left winger big time imo

You can turn that on its head though can't you, Sodje has scored in the last two games... not gonna do much for his confidence if he keeps scoring yet not getting starts.

Atrange that 4 games ago Racon was the best center midfielder,now hes the best on the left. Is that not a case of playing your favourite players??? I'm not saying Sodje shouldn't be involved but how many of those games has he started in
  • Options
    Well it's clear you would pick Shelvey there and to be honest both of them have been below par in recent games they have played in. Perhaps Parky will lunge with Shelvey again and give him a chance to regain the promosing form he showed at the start of the season. Personally, I think Racon thought his spot in the team was safe and being dropped like he was is a reality check and he will be raring to impress.
  • Options
    No what you think is clear obviously isn't. I wouldn't pick Jonjo to play there but i dont think Racon deserves a place just because he might have a good game there soon. Neither of them are comfortable playing there but both do a job. I just wondered why you would make so many changes to a team that just won 4-2. Goalie, left midfield who had one cleared off the line by his own player and a forward who scored one and hit the bar... Man managment wise i wonder why you would make such changes
  • Options
    Well goalie because we no longer have the goalie who played... kinda forced...

Shelvey and Racon and Sodje and Mooney are both tricky decisions. I just decided to go with the two I mentioned. I agree that neither Shelvey or Racon are suited to that position but I would just like to give Racon another chance.

Sodje or Mooney, I'll be happy with. Its just Sodjes pace can be the difference in away games like this, get him in behind and we're laughing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]Well it's clear you would pick Shelvey there and to be honest both of them have been below par in recent games they have played in. Perhaps Parky will lunge with Shelvey again and give him a chance to regain the promosing form he showed at the start of the season. Personally, I think Racon thought his spot in the team was safe and being dropped like he was is a reality check and he will be raring to impress.

You can't just drop Shelvey though. What sort of message would that send to him if he's just being used as midfield back-up when another player is a bit off colour? Also, what message does that send to the whole squad IF Racon hasn't been raring to impress in training this week? That he can get his place back regardless.

I'm sure Parkinson will make the right decision on the night. In my mind that's sticking with the same starting outfield 10 where possible.
  • Options
    Was it a solid defending performance against Bristol Rovers then? two goals suggest differently. Sodje misses one game and comes back and you don't put him back in? thats madness. Hes been our best player in numerous games this season.

Well I'd bloody hope Racon is fighting for his place. Shelvey didn't play well enough against Rovers for his spot to be safe for Brighton, like you said im sure Parky will make the right decision.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]Was it a solid defending performance against Bristol Rovers then? two goals suggest differently. Sodje misses one game and comes back and you don't put him back in? thats madness. Hes been our best player in numerous games this season.

Well I'd bloody hope Racon is fighting for his place. Shelvey didn't play well enough against Rovers for his spot to be safe for Brighton, like you said im sure Parky will make the right decision.

He done as well as Rcon on that position made a 95% pass rate do you think Racon done the same? Why do you think he didn't play well enough? What do you think he should have done better. I mean better as in what Racon done in the same position ???