Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton v Charlton - Match Thread (Post Match Views from Page 9)

Comments

• Glad Omo turned in a decent shift. Always thought he had to be struggling with match fitness
  • Norwich the ones to watch now...but as long as we keep winning, it doesnae matter...:-)
  • what games will sodji miss re his ban ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]what games will sodji miss re his ban ?

Is Sodje banned as I thought he was one of the few not on four bookings going into this?

If he is banned it will be Stockport - providing the game goes ahead as their last two home games have been called off so could be Millwall. Really hope he is not banned
  • Just got back from work, read the whole match thread and just seen the goals on SSN, Good result, from mayb not a great game.

Good to see Basey having another good game, and waggy gettin a goal
  • semedo is banned after reaching 5 cards I think
  • Sodje isn't banned as he wasn't on 4 bookings, but unfortunately Semedo now is after getting booked tonight
  • I hoped for this in the pre-match thread:

"I wouldn't go as far as to say this a 'must-win' but it's really time we start cementing ourselves in the top 2 as Leeds have done, rather than simply being the current leaders of a chasing pack of 3 or 4. I feel right now we have the form and fixtures to push on and give ourselves some breathing space in leaner times, so we need to start winning some away games.

2-0 Charlton"

So extremely pleased with that. Norwich don't look like slipping up at the moment so it's going to be very important to pick up wins on our travels.
  • Deeeon deeeon-deon deon
    Deeeon deeeon-deon deon
  • [cite]Posted By: Screamer[/cite]Sodje isn't banned as he wasn't on 4 bookings, but unfortunately Semedo now is after getting booked tonight

Well, at least Semedo will be available for the Millwall match
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]

2-0 Charlton"

So extremely pleased with that. Norwich don't look like slipping up at the moment so it's going to be very important to pick up wins on our travels.

Bang on the nail, Sussex!
    Any idea what this weekend's lottery numbers are ....?

I feel just about ready to live a millionaire's lifestyle. ;o)

Perhaps, Norwich are also looking at us and thinking, "Bugger, just when we thought their wheels were falling off, Charlton now don't look like slipping up at the moment".
  • Well done to your boys again could have done with Norwhich slipping up like Huddersfield though, Just got in from Oldham and must say it was a stroll especialy with what Grayson did with the team, not one of these players started the game tonight.
    Higgs
    Hughes
    Parker
    Naylor
    Kisnorbo
    Johnson
    Robinson
    Doyle
    Snodgrass
    Becchio
    Beckford
    Grella
    Kandol

I honestly cannot see us losing too many games with the squad we have and despite people on here probably thinking im on a wind up i would like to see Charlton go back up as well, roll on the Derby with Huddersfield saturday.
  • 4 games ago MK Dons were going well ........ and level on points with us.
    Now they are 9th with the same points.

Just goes to show that in football nothing can be taken for granted.
  • Charlie MacDonald scored the winner for Brentford against Clochester tonight.

Cheers, Charlie ..... thanks for the favour!
  • cheers Oakey.

You've certainly developed a decent squad seeing the list of all those not starting tonight. You should on paper, walk it. But on paper we should have got promoted two years, and on paper stayed up last year, and spectacularly failed on both counts. Anything can happen, and you only need a bit of bad luck a couple of games in a row and before you know it, the nerves and the anxiety kicks in. We've seen it happen first hand.

As for us, well chuffed with that. I'll admit to having almost zero interest ahead of tonight. Whether it is because i don't class the Withdean as a football stadium, or the fact i didn't expect us to win, i don't know. But as Clem said, this was a banana skin that has been avoided.

Won't get carried away, they've won only once in their last seven, however it is essential we keep ticking away, and we really needed a win on the road. Well done lads, and really pleased for Waggy.
  • WSSWSS
    edited December 2009
    Just got back from the ground (great driving and thanks johnnybev1987).

The game was a poor one. The referee didnt help by having to explain his every decision for about 5 minutes at a time. Overall, it was a hard working, if a bit untidy performance. Brighton probably looked the better team going forward for much of the game without really getting behind the defence. Their main threat came from confusion in the six yard box from our own defence.

Once we got it on the deck we looked a bit better, Wagstaff had a good game and has probably earned himself another start against Southend on Saturday. Both the flanks worked well in tandem with Basey putting in a shift and showing some nice, composed touches and a great cross for Scott's goal. Thankfully for him, Omuzuzi also looked a bit more confident and able. He worked well with Sam, especially going forward. Lloyd, once again seemed to fade with 20/25 minutes to go and Omo had two players to deal with time after time - which he did well.

Centre defence were good - like always and Bailey and Semedo did not control or dominate the centre of the midfield like they should or could. They were bypassed quite a bit but, as seems natural, Mooney and Burton worked their socks off and a great header from Deon put any nerves at rest and got the ball rolling.

Akpo is a great sub to come on - he showed some great touches and wins as many balls in the air as his brother.

Decent performance, well earned and long overdue 3 points on the road. Just need to follow up with another run of 4/5 wins.

God, that ground is ridiculous though. You can't create an atmosphere, you can't see anything up the other end either.

Well done Charlton and Parky, let's push on from here.
  • There is nothing better than coming in from being out, skimming through the match thread to see, WE ONLY BLOODY WON RODNEY............... YES YES YES!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Bang on the nail, Sussex!
    Any idea what this weekend's lottery numbers are ....?

I feel just about ready to live a millionaire's lifestyle. ;o)

Perhaps, Norwich are also looking at us and thinking, "Bugger, just when we thought their wheels were falling off, Charlton now don't look like slipping up at the moment".

I would share Oggy, but I'd rather have 8 million than 4 million and your eternal gratitude, sorry :)

Undoubtedly Norwich are a little annoyed we're no longer an outfit that gets battered by non-league teams, but they're probably just telling themselves to keep winning and the table will take care of itself, so we need to do the same. They have quite a good run of fixtures as well, so it's going to interesting in the coming weeks.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Won't get carried away, they've won only once in their last seven, however it is essential we keep ticking away, and we really needed a win on the road. Well done lads, and really pleased for Waggy.

Brighton might have only won one League game in 7 ........ but they've had 4 really tough games - one after the other, they've had to play Southampton, Leeds, Norwich and Charlton,
  • Your right about the Withdean mate only been once and will never go again they only gave us 900 tickets and you need eyes like a shit house rat just to see the pitch. Good atmosphere tonight though with a crowd of 7700 and of that 4200 were Leeds.
  • Sponsored links:

• McLoed.

Came on, touched the ball twice, stood around watching the game go past him, then trotted off to the changing rooms without a word to his team mates or an acknowledgement to the travelling support as soon as the whistle went - the rest of the squad were meanwhile on the running track to clap us all.

He's really starting to get on my nerves, knowing how much he is being paid.
  • basically wat wss sed, apart from the driving front lol although we did get back pretty sharpish :-) and not through illegal driving

good result did not look like the best of games but then again we did have the worst view ever! seriously if i had knowned wud of bought some binnoculars lol

Cud just about see the play but then guessing the players who scored was a tough one

Just thought i would mention well done to omunzi cos as much as i have criticised him previously i thought he generally had a good game tonighht both getting forward linked up well with sam and getting back, have mentioned on player ratings but feel worth another mention thought was funny seeing him break from the a corner against us and ended up running up the left wing there which was a bit of suprise!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Glad Omo turned in a decent shift. Always thought he had to be struggling with match fitness[/quote]

What!!! Thought he is now banging them in for Palarse............??
  • Like watching Subbuteo. Saw a large cigarette with a yellow hat on the pitch, but gather it was the seagull mascot. Next away day is to Specsavers! No real idea what went on, a somewhat uninspiring match but job done and the three points were a welcome relief. The commentator thanked Charlton for its support in getting their new stadium and looked forward to seeing us again. We all seemed pretty underwhelmed by this idea!
  • went to the game but will have to wait till i get home to watch the goals due to the fact i could see sweet f.a! good needed win though well done u reds
  • edited December 2009
    Very good performance despite the untidy start to the game absorbed everything Brighton threw at us.

Rather surreal setting that Withdean *ground*

Three points is what we got. I am happy.

Good to see a few familiar faces there.
  • pork pie you are a legend mate,good to see you and cant believe you drove down for manc land.
  • edited December 2009
    Cheers Steve.

Only took 5 hours even with the short detour to Coventry to drop Thommo off and the M6 being shut at Stoke plus the ubitiquous Solero, Red Bull and Ginsters stop. That is one top hat you have got. My porkpie hat is still in intensive care after Yeovil town.

It was worth it at the end of the day despite not being able to sell the spare ticket. Another priceless 3 points under our belts. It was not pretty but this will have done wonders for our confidence before our game with Southend. It is great to get the momentum going again as the Carlisle defeat was only a month ago and we all know what happened after that?

See you all at Stockport.
  • Don't you mean Leg end?

lol
  • First clean sheet we've had for almost a couple of months ......Leeds, Oldham matches early October were the last I believe.