Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton v Charlton - Match Thread (Post Match Views from Page 9)

Comments

• From The Argus:

Albion boss Gus Poyet believes his side deserved more from tonight's 2-0 defeat to Charlton Athletic at Withdean.

Although his side have dropped into the relegation zone, Poyet believes Albion controlled the game and now need to replicate that performance on Saturday against Exeter.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "We should have got something out of the game. I didn't think there was much between the two teams.

"The way we played was the best since Southampton and it was a great team effort and team understanding.

"I thought we controlled the game, but Charlton played their own game and they got the three points so there is nothing to complain about.

"Now the question is if we can play at the same level at the weekend, because if we play like that on Saturday I'm sure we are going to win.

"If we play like that for the season we will get lots of points."

Albion have had a gruelling fixture list since Poyet arrived, but the Albion boss is satisfied to pick up three points against the 'big four'.

"Since I became manager we have played Southampton, Leeds, Norwich and Charlton. Some people can say three points is not good enough, but they are all good teams and I'll take the three points and look forward in the season."
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]From The Argus:

Albion have had a gruelling fixture list since Poyet arrived, but the Albion boss is satisfied to pick up three points against the 'big four'.

"Since I became manager we have played Southampton, Leeds, Norwich and Charlton. Some people can say three points is not good enough, but they are all good teams and I'll take the three points and look forward in the season."

Baptism of fire for Poyet since taking over as manager at Brighton. He couldn't have had a tougher first 4 fixtures.
    But only 3 points out of 12.....? Not good enough, Poyet OUT !

;o)
  • Interesting to see how other clubs see us ...... one of the 'Big Four'.

We are the Charlton 'Massives' ......lol
  • Had a few pints in the pub by Hassocks station as thats where fellow lifer Afternoon Delight had parked the car, easy journey to the ground, and thankfully no rain.

It was a good 3 points earned last night as we had to absorb lots of pressure but i'm pleased we have another away win at last.Sadly I had no idea who scored the second as i was unsighted in the away end a quarter of a mile away.

Total tit of a ref who feeling guilty about callling the game off in plymouth seemed determined to make this one last as long as he could.

Overall a nice evening out
  • Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but who was the bloke watching our game on Sky Sports last night? Truely woeful, didnt know anyones name!!!...i mean, do a bit of research before you go on air. Dopey.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but who was the bloke watching our game on Sky Sports last night? Truely woeful, didnt know anyones name!!!...i mean, do a bit of research before you go on air. Dopey.

Kevin Watson:
    Was with Parky at Reading and Colchester.
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but who was the bloke watching our game on Sky Sports last night? Truely woeful, didnt know anyones name!!!...i mean, do a bit of research before you go on air. Dopey.

Kevin Watson:
    Was with Parky at Reading and Colchester.

Cheers. He's an absolute cheese.
  • Watson was Parky's first signing at Col U and part of his promotion side.

Now first team coach at Luton which perhaps explains PPs comment that he'd watched Luton many times this season.

I wonder if Watson is doing some "unofficial" scouting for us?
  • Thought Watson did OK for what must have been one of his first TV punditry appearances.

OK he pronounced Basey Bassey but otherwise he was OK. Better than Dean "rabbit caught in headlights" Windass
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Thought Watson did OK for what must have been one of his first TV punditry appearances.

OK he pronounced Basey Bassey but otherwise he was OK. Better than Dean "rabbit caught in headlights" Windass

Windass cracks me up. Speaks like someone has taken his teeth out.

That Watson really got to me though. He only knew Nicky Forster and Deon Burton. Only to forget Deons name when he came off!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• From our somewhat distant viewpoint:

Not one to set the pulses racing, but an efficient, resillient away performance where we vitally struck first and went on to see it safely out, threatening to pinch a third if really needed. Delighted again by the bravery of the whole defensive unit, constantly blocking and closing down. Brighton delivered plenty into the box, but rarely got behind us, for which both full backs (and their respective wingers) deserve full credit. Robbie got one punch wrong but was always courageous, particularly rushing into oncoming forwards, and has another clean sheet to his name.

Positive to go with two wingers, who worked tirelessly until Lloyd appeared knackered on about 75 mins; Bailey & Semedo gave them the platform to push on. Both forwards put a lot in, running to close down and to make themselves available despite not having a real physical presence.

Perhaps, as much as a slight difference in quality, we had a little too much nouse for them last night. Baring in mind the enforced changes, I thought we showed a good level of maturity that could be vital in clinching away games where there's not a lot between the sides. We're unlikely to run amock too often, but might just eek out enough of these to clinch that second spot.
  • Agree with most on here re last night's match. Not our finest hour IMHO & thought the Albion looked pretty dangerous going forward in the first 30 mins or so. But the difference was that we took our chances .

I guess this is one of those results Parky might describe as having " ground out " and it's the win that matters in the end. And it was remarkably dry and windless for a change.

Regarding the view from the away end, of course it left a lot to be desired and there were ongoing discussions as to who had scored - the tannoy was useless.In fact, the banter was the highlight of the evening at times especially when the 2 Sodjes were on the pitch & the verbal battle with the home fans for the dubious honour of who hates Palace more.....

4 matches to follow now against sides beginning with "S". All winnable of course and with confidence riding high in the squad, for once, we might actually enjoy the Xmas period .

BTW....Anything you'd like me to pass on to the lads at Sunday's Young Addicks' party ? Something for the popular Mr McLeod perhaps ????
  • It sounds a workmanlike professional performance, the type of game which might prove to be very important in the final reckoning at the end of the season.

If we "lost" two points at home to Oldham we arguably "gained " two points last night from the tone of the radio commentary and comments on here.

Only downside is losing Semedo for the southend game but these things happen.
  • Credit to Parky as everything he seems to have done in the last few (league) games has come off.
    From the subs he has put on at the right time to the formations he's been playing, putting Waggy on last night was a bit of a masterstroke that not many people would have called as he sounds like he had a good game and got the vital second.

Hopefully Soufffend will be on a bit of a downer come the weekend after the beating they took last night.
  • edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21, 2 December 2009 [/cite]If you can still pick up points when you are not playing well, you will do well still

Hence Leeds, and us being top two we have both put in some sore shifts but we are still doing very very well!
  • From OS

Charlton midfielder Jose Semedo will miss Saturday's League One clash with Southend United at The Valley after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season in the 2-0 win at Brighton & Hove Albion on Tuesday night.

Accumulated suspensions previously used to take effect after seven days (unlike red cards, which took effect immediately), but the rule has now changed and Semedo, who scored his first Charlton goal in the 4-0 triumph at Tranmere Rovers in August, will be forced to sit out the date with the Shrimpers.

The Portuguese star has been a key figure for the Addicks this term, but picked up a fifth booking at the Withdean Stadium for a foul on Glenn Murray.

Referee Gavin Ward, who also booked Sam Sodje, Rob Elliot and David Mooney on Tuesday night, indicated Semedo's yellow card was for a high boot which caught Murray on the shoulder.

Semedo's place against Southend is likely to be taken by Matt Spring, Therry Racon or Jonjo Shelvey, although Christian Dailly can operate as a defensive midfielder if required.

Dailly is one of several Addicks walking a disciplinary tightrope, with the Scotsman, Miguel Llera, Izale McLeod and Kelly Youga all just one booking away from a one-match ban.

Hope Dailly doesn't end up missing the Spanners game by getting booked soon.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]......with the Scotsman, Miguel Llera ......... just one booking away from a one-match ban.[/i]

I didn't know Llera was a Scotsman .....?
    Though with a surname spelt like that, he could of course be Welsh!
  • Think Watson was struggling with all the stop starts.

He did call Burton ''the other guy'' though
  • Racon rather than Spring in for Semedo on Saturday purrleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • I wouldn't mind either Spring or Racon in for Semedo, preferably Racon - but Spring is good to watch, not afraid to shoot and it influences others to have a pop, and when Bailey does.... that can't be bad. ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Spring in for the holding rile for me, Done a decent enough job against huddersfield and leeds to warrant it.
  • Come on then to the guys that were their what chants went about?
  • Agree that the whole thing was a bit surreal. Ian Cartwright had about right, it felt like they were playing at Sutcliffe Park.

Brighton should have scored first from the corner that smacked teh bar before Rob gave the ball an almighty right hook to clear it before they followed up, and they moved the ball about very well to feet adn with pace, whereas we seemed to be knocking Garry Nelson balls into channels and hoping. Dailly and Sodje did well keeping them 20 yards out and thankfully their shooting from distance was dire.

In the end their keeper made a brilliant double save (from Akpo?) and we could have been won by more.

Banter was very funny. We can see you holding hands. I was buying teh tea at the time but my girlfriend told me teh entire Brighton stand refused to give the ball back for a throw-in for ages, winding the stewards right up. Very amusing.

Wheels on teh bus, though. I mean, who still sings that?
  • [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK[/cite]Come on then to the guys that were their what chants went about?
    Nothing in particular - it was very quiet in fact.
  • [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK[/cite]Come on then to the guys that were their what chants went about?

The usual "we can see you holding hands" etc and the expected "stand up if you hate Palace" sung in unison.

My favorite was "old MacDonald had tourettes Eee iiii Eee iii C--T".
  • Luckily I watched the game from the open seating on the side - view was decent enough. Felt for our lot behind the goal though - must have been getting on for 200 yards from the back of that stand to goal at the far end, so God knows what they saw of our goals!

Thought 2-0 flattered us at half time. Without creating too much in the way of chances, Albion had much the better of the first 25 mins. Then we managed to get a bit more of the ball, started playing in their half and showed our quality. Text book header by Deon from a perfect delivery by Bailey and the 2nd was quality - great awareness by Sam and a inch perfect pass through to Basey, who couldn't have put in a more dangerous cross and Waggy did the rest.
    As expected Albion put us on the back foot for the first 20 mins after the break, but they seemed to run out of gas and we really began to look dangerous on the break, some good movement and passing, but just lacking that clinical edge to the finishing. No complaints though - for the most part we looked well organised & the commitment was excellent.

Had to laugh when Elliott was booked for time wasting - nobody could have delayed play more than that referee last night.
  • Heard a great line when the ref gave a decision to the locals

"He's given into Brighton PIER pressure"
  • best chant was the one about the police woman and policeman who looked quite close, forgot how it went but something to do with going home tonight

although that sed atmosphere wasnt that great, but partly due to how far from the pitch we were. no stands to echo our chants and was bit cold so wasnt our most vocal performance. was still a good laugh though and worth going to even with the view, although i hope we dont play them next year as doubt i would go to that crappy thing they call a stadium next time!

• didnt mention the fans at all 'tut tut'