Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Veterans team international match proposal

The regulars on here will be familiar with me posting on here but now for something completely different.

I play for a veterans team here in the Jura region of France. It's a beautiful mountainous region, easily accessible from Geneva airport (snow drifts permitting -;).

Being the only non-French member of the team, my team-mates have put it to me to organise a match against an English team. I think that they rather fancy a trip to England but if we make it a two legged affair then it could also be a good trip for a veterans team in England.

Does anyone on here play for, or know anyone who plays for a veterans team?
Would any of you on here want to form a Charlton Life veterans team?

If I'm going to go to the trouble of organising this then ideally I'd like it to be with someone on here that I 'know' or a group of Charlton fans. Obviously I like the guys I play with here and so I don't want to get them mixed up with anyone who's going to cause them trouble (e.g. anti-French stuff) or not take it seriously and turn up with only ten players or pissed from the night before, when I've organised for us to fly over for a match. That said I don't want to frighten anyone off - my team here aren't that serious - we play for the fun of playing essentially - and that's the spirit of this proposal: a good enjoyable, sporting exchange.

Comments

• Hi Jimmy.
    I'm, erm........qualified as a veteran, lololol .......... and I'd love to come over to play in France!

I've been part of the Charlton Life team which has played a number of friendly matches during the past couple of seasons (Charlton Charlie & AFKA have "managed" it). We've got a fair number of over-35s who've been involved, so could already have the nucleus of the side.

So, who's up for it ?
  • How old do you have to be to play Vets?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Hi Jimmy.
    I'm, erm........qualified as a veteran, lololol .......... and I'd love to come over to play in France!

I've been part of the Charlton Life team which has played a number of friendly matches during the past couple of seasons (Charlton Charlie & AFKA have "managed" it). We've got a fair number of over-35s who've been involved, so could already have the nucleus of the side.

So, who's up for it ?

I was until Jimmy stipulated,
    1, Will not turn up with 10 men...... 8
    2,Take it serious.......................9
    3, Turn up Pi55ed......................10
    On a scale of 1 to 10,
    10 being the most likely ;)
    But then again if the Clough and Taylor of CL world are picking the team I wont get a game anyway ;(
  • Sounds good to me
  • I'm 34, but easily pass for 35 :-)
  • What about organising a CL match against these guys before a home game, and then take them on to the match after?
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]What about organising a CL match against these guys before a home game, and then take them on to the match after?

That sounds like a great idea. We're going to have a Christmas dinner together next Saturday so I could put that idea forward to them. I might suggest the Yeovil game on February 20th as I'm already coming back myself for that one, but I think that it might be a bit short notice.

If it's possible to get a Charlton Life veterans team together, that would be great.

So far we've got:

Oggy Red
    Uncle
    Charlton Charlie?
    AFKA?
  • We've got some more decent Vets like Ketters, Glass Half Empty, Dave Storry, Dave Mehmet and others.

I'm afraid AFKA is going to tell you that it's a bit of a shame, but he's not. erm ...... quite old enough!

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]We've got some more decent Vets like Ketters, Glass Half Empty, Dave Storry, Dave Mehmet and others.

I'm afraid AFKA is going to tell you that it's a bit of a shame, but he's not. erm ...... quite old enough!

;o)

But my team won't know that. With his dodgy knee I'm sure they'd believe him to be at least 40 ;-
  • Sponsored links:

• Feb 20th is my birthday Jim and i will have turned 35 and old enough to play in a vets team sounds quality idea to me then proper pish up after no wine drinking though
  • not the 20th Im sponsoring a rugby match and cant go that game
  • I doubt it will be 20th February to be honest. I think that's a bit soon to organise at this end. More likely in April when there are some tasty matches at The Valley. Then we could have a return game in May (if you fancy it).

I take it that we can add nth london addick and northstandsteve to the list then.

Before this really gets off the ground however, I need someone to volunteer to organise it at your end. I've already whispered AFKA and Charlton Charlie.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]We've got some more decent Vets like Ketters, Glass Half Empty, Dave Storry, Dave Mehmet and others.

;o)

i'm only 21 oggy ;o) count me in
  • [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]We've got some more decent Vets like Ketters, Glass Half Empty, Dave Storry, Dave Mehmet and others.

;o)

Thats right Oggy! and I'm his younger brother ;)
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]We've got some more decent Vets like Ketters, Glass Half Empty, Dave Storry, Dave Mehmet and others.

;o)

but i got all the hair !!! ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]

;o)

but i got all the hair !!! ;o)

Only just, Lol ;)
  • So we've got:

Oggy Red
    Uncle
    Glass Half Empty
    Dave Mehmet
    Charlton Charlie?
    AFKA?

Who's willing to organise this at your end?
  • Sorry jm, only just seen this. Well definately be up for organising a game and can get a side out easily if combined with a home game. No probs getting a pitch. Work out your dates from the fixtures and well go from there
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't we rename the thread:

"Charlton Life FC qualify for Europe"

See, OohAah ......AFKA is about to achieve what Curbs couldn't do.

;o)
  • Aren't you usually allowed a certain number of under-age players in most Vets teams? If so, how many are you allowed?
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Sorry jm, only just seen this. Well definately be up for organising a game and can get a side out easily if combined with a home game. No probs getting a pitch. Work out your dates from the fixtures and well go from there

Excellent. I'm going to ask the team on Saturday evening about dates.

I will suggest the Yeovil game on Feb 20th but it will more likely be much later - either the Norwich or Leeds game.

Does anyone know who I should contact at the club to arrange group tickets for the match?
  • [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]Aren't you usually allowed a certain number of under-age players in most Vets teams? If so, how many are you allowed?

None if they are any good ;-
  • [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]Aren't you usually allowed a certain number of under-age players in most Vets teams? If so, how many are you allowed?

Your not normally allowed any
  • I wouldnt worry uncle - you'll be fine.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I wouldnt worry uncle - you'll be fine.

Bloody cheek !! I will be if you aint running the bloody line
  • We need to all be wearing the same kit especially for the away leg. Also what about some kind of trophy ? I'm sure i could sort one out,it could be a yearly event then if it all goes well.
  • Soemhow don't think I'll pass for 35! I got asked for ID to buy a lottery ticket the other week!
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Soemhow don't think I'll pass for 35! I got asked for ID to buy a lottery ticket the other week!

Yeah i have that problem