Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poor Old Gazza

124»

Comments

• Options
    Nice post wheresmeticket. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    24 red said - 'There is however almost certainly no gene 'for' addiction, it's way more complicated than that and it is as misleading - and potentially dangerous - in terms of treatment as the 'disease' mindset. I agree of course that some people are more prone to addiction than others but it doesn't mean they are simply victims either of a disease or their genes (not that I think you were suggesting that).

Some researchers think AA works as a form of peer pressure. That sounds right to me and it is a useful lesson in how to deal with addiction in that it shows how important the social context is for encouraging and dealing with addiction. Weight Watchers works in a similar way.'
    You are right, I certainly wasn't suggesting this and I agree with your comments about the potential dangers There is an undoubted highly complex interaction of genetics and social environment, and it will certainly not be fully understood in my lifetime, if ever. The problem with AA and WW is that they only seem to work provided people keep going. Certainly the failure rate from WW is quite alarming in that it seems to turn the majority of its members into yo yo dieters, with the added consequences of adding yet more feelings of failure. Very vicious cycles. If it did become possible to 'turn on' a gene, or repair a 'faulty' one, then I would see this as a useful extra tool, nothing more than that. But I fear it's all too late for Gazza, Len Glover #88, was spot on.
  • Options
    The sentencing of former footballer Paul Gascoigne for drink-driving has been adjourned after he failed to show up at court.

Newcastle Magistrates' Court was told that Gascoigne had checked himself into a rehab clinic in the south of England.

He had previously admitted driving while more than four times the legal alcohol limit, after being stopped by police in Newcastle on 8 October.

District Judge Stephen Earl adjourned proceedings until 9 December.

He said: "He is not here because he has decided to put himself in for treatment, that's the bit that causes me concern."

"Who's running the show?"

He warned Gascoigne's solicitor that if he failed to show up he would be sentenced without a probation report, or locked up in order to get a report.

"The court will have its process," he added.

Stephen Andrews, defending, said he first became aware of the difficulties about attendance when a meeting, pre-arranged for his Darlington office on Tuesday, did not take place.

"The situation is that I received information through the course of the last 48 hours advising me that Mr Gascoigne has been readmitted into a rehabilitative institution in the south of the country," he said.

"This information came to me via a representative of his management company."

The 43-year-old Tyneside-born former England midfielder is due to stand trial next month for allegedly drinking and driving in North Yorkshire in February, a charge he denies
  • Options
    So sad my best mate died from drink.I hope somehow the poor lad comes back from this terrible illness.
  • Options
    same here and that horrible family stop cashing in on him with there newly found celebrity status
  • Options
    Missed court today after booking himself into rehab http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-11728764 court are not happy bunnies