Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

brentford v charlton - post match views

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]well at least this is the second best ever season and that if we go on making 2 points for a win as you say we are on course for,we'll easily surpass the 1981 effort where we almost threw promotion away and ended up on the modern tally of 84 points.

all to look forward too.

After 24 games, including losing to Millwall ........ that was all on the back of a terrific 14-match unbeaten run, including just 1 draw and 13 wins.

As TK says, that was the best we were .....the next 22 games brought 22 points, equivilent today to 30 points:
    8 wins (including scraping through the final 2 matches)
    6 draws
    8 defeats (including 4 consecutive defeats in the final 6 games)

Having looked unassailable at Christmas so far in front (like Leeds today), we almost blew it and just clung on to 3rd place.

It's the Charlton way .....(!)

[cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]^^ Amazing. A poster even more boring than OohAah.

Having been to almost every match in 1980-81, I found Thread Killer's post brought back a flood of memories.

Clinching promotion at Carlisle having been a goal down - and getting hammered celebrating together on the train all the way back, singing "Mike Bailey, Mike Bailey, Mike Bailey ...." ..... it was what being a Charlton fan was all about.

Especially after the Andy Nelson kami-kazi season the year before!!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite] Didn't realise that ridiculous yellow for Semedo was his fifth..

It was his 6th. He's already served a one match ban for reaching 5. I think 8 is the next ban but stand to be corrected?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Didn't realise that ridiculous yellow for Semedo was his fifth..

It was his 6th. He's already served a one match ban for reaching 5. I think 8 is the next ban but stand to be corrected?

All players on 5 bookings and 8 bookings get the slate wiped clean on March 1st.
  • Options
    Sodje was left on because we needed his extra height at set pieces (there's and ours) and his strength generally. B's caused us problems in the air (as anyone else would have done with today's back line) but on the deck we were fine. Dickson played well but Mackenzie was worth a burst at the end (it nearly paid off). Very disappointed that Wagstaff started instead of Shelvey and he could have easily been taken off in the 1st half. If we can sort the left side in Jan and get in another centre back to cover for Sodje's suspensions (of which there are bound to be more!) we'll be ok. On the whole not bad when you consider all the blokes missing.
  • Options
    nice one stone at least he will be available saturday my player of the year by a mile
  • Options
    Not our best performance, without our first choice back 4 and our top goalscroer was always going to be hard, plus with most out there having to play 45 minutes 2 days ago with 9 men.

Need a win vs Walsall now though.
  • Options
    I seem to remember reading that the 5-yellows ban rises to 10 yellows on January 1 - which doesn't help Semedo and D'Urso's dreadful decision (one of countless....)

Dickson so much better today than previously for us, and Sodje didn't seem to contribute much - they didn't work well together, and most around me (and me!) were expecting McKenzie to replace Sodje.

Good performances all round (apart from D'Urso) on a pudding of a pitch - how many saw the ball stick in the goalmouth mud when Randolph tried to bounce it in the warm-up?

Pity any taller CL folk who were in the seats!
  • Options
    Decent performance in the circusmtances, good shifts by Dickson, Semodo, Llera and the ever improving Omozusi. Bailey was his usual tigerish self, liked the way he insisted on taking the pen. Spring was neat and tidy.

I thought a yellow for the keeper was right. After knocking it past, Dickson would probably not have caught up with the ball to get a shot in. D'urso did annoy me though, I thought we should've had a pen for an earlier handball.

It was great to be on a packed terrace again which made for a good atmosphere. The banter with 'Baldy' was fun while it lasted but a shame the way it ended. I can't comment on our defending for their goal as the net and crossbar of the goal in front of us was in the way.

All in all a 7/10 performance which means we MUST win at Walsall.
  • Options
    Pretty decent point considering it was a patched up side. Dickson bustled well, and I'd like to see him paired with Burton at some point to latch onto Deon's link-up play. It was agonising when that lob drifted just past the post.

I thought Bailey was top drawer today, and most of our best play was through him. Still slightly terrified by Llera, who was lucky to not get a card for leaving a studs up foot in against a Brentford player, and also had a couple of close calls for handball in the penalty area.

Waggy was poor and had little effect on the game, whilst Sam looked classy while having little effect on the game
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]
    Waggy was poor and had little effect on the game, whilst Sam looked classy while having little effect on the game

That seems to sum up our 2 wingers .......sometimes.

On their day, they've both been match winners.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will write more tomorrow but what was it like 'upstairs' today? Terrace was bouncing.
  • Options
    from the little i could see from the terrace we seemed to have controlled most of the game and finished strongly pushing fo the winner.

Thought Dicko caused problems, did well to gain the penalty, surprised when he was subbed.

Crowd was superb, good effort by all.

Loved the baldy banter (see other thread) and the half-price banter with the Bees keeper.
  • Options
    One point that probably needs making ..... is Omo's game on game improvement.

Where he was many peoples ' scapegoat a few weeks ago, now he either doesn't get mentioned or certainly doesn't get the credit.

Against Swindon, his movement, touch and passing to feed Burton on the floor, setting up Jonjo's goal was sublime.
    Didn't anyone notice? Fortunately the cameras did.

Seems again today, he was one of the most effective players.
    Comments?
  • Options
    Yes Elliot was very tidy and looks like his confidence has improved greatly. Took the ball round people a couple of times today, I would like to see him overlapping Lloyd more often though.
  • Options
    he really is improving,could have a gem there
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I just looked this up: Record attendance: 39,626 v Preston North End, FA Cup 6th Round, March 5th, 1938.

Pretty unbelievable when you consider that's getting on for 5 times todays gate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]One point that probably needs making ..... is Omo's game on game improvement.

Where he was many peoples ' scapegoat a few weeks ago, now he either doesn't get mentioned or certainly doesn't get the credit.

Yep, was thinking exactly that on the way back. Looks like he could even do a job at centre back if he had to.

He's only on loan, right? Parky might have difficulty raising the funds to keep him though, when he's got Richardson and Solly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]One point that probably needs making ..... is Omo's game on game improvement.

Yep, was thinking exactly that on the way back. Looks like he could even do a job at centre back if he had to.

He's only on loan, right? Parky might have difficulty raising the funds to keep him though, when he's got Richardson and Solly.

Loan as Fulham hold his registration which means they want a fee. The fact he can double up as a centre-half should help his chances of signing though. Anyone seen him play centre-half?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]

Loan as Fulham hold his registration which means they want a fee. The fact he can double up as a centre-half should help his chances of signing though. Anyone seen him play centre-half?

He's not under contract though...... which is why he was so unfit when he first came here.
    But under 24, so Fulham perhaps might want a 'young player development fee'.

I believe he played centreback for Norwich against us in the cup last season.
  • Options
    sorry, but all five in our car thought Omozusi was pants, me included. Going forward he is ok but defensively he is a disaster and his positional play atrocious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]sorry, but all five in our car thought Omozusi was pants, me included. Going forward he is ok but defensively he is a disaster and his positional play atrocious.

Well, that's certainly another point of view, Large.

Not seen anyone else say that, so far?
  • Options
    Omozusi didn't do much wrong today. Was alot better defensively and more effective going forward than Basey was today.
  • Options
    i heard he played another solid game,i even thought he came out of the millwall game ok,and thats saying something
  • Options
    Certainly getting better with every game now. Thought he had another solid game today
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]sorry, but all five in our car thought Omozusi was pants, me included. Going forward he is ok but defensively he is a disaster and his positional play atrocious.

I bet that journey was a barrel of laughs!
  • Options
    Andy D'Urso was rubbish. We would have won that if it wasn't for him.

Llera was magnificantly aeornuatical as usual. Shame about the linesman - apparently he smelt of wee.

We should play without officials; it would be so much better.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

I bet that journey was a barrel of laughs!

lol
  • Options
    lol off it
  • Options
    Purely as a matter of interest, how did Bostock play for Brentford? I see he was subsistuted after an hour and as noone has mentioned him yet, I presume he wasnt really in the game?
  • Options
    'you'll never play for tottenham'