Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

brentford v charlton - post match views

13»

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]I just looked this up: Record attendance: 39,626 v Preston North End, FA Cup 6th Round, March 5th, 1938.

Pretty unbelievable when you consider that's getting on for 5 times todays gate.[/quote]

There used to be a decent-sized terrace where the away stand now is, sold in the 80s during a previous debt crisis.
  • Options
    Omo again for me had another improving the game, but the one thing that stood out to me was how on song Nicky Bailey is at the moment. Has been our best player by an absolute mile of late and is getting better and better
  • Options
    Did anyone else notice how up for taking the penalty JJ was. I thought he was going to fight the whole team for the ball. Had to be sheperded away.
  • Options
    Has Nicky Bailey had his left arm amputated??
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]20091228_16_gyi0059200443.jpg
  • Options
    also Ben Strevens who played with Bailey at Barnet telling the keeper where he would put it and the keeper not being too far away.
  • Options
    Copying facility doesn't appear to be working? in any event, the Griffin Park capacity has been affected by the conversion of the home terrace into what's now that tiny double-decker stand we were in yesterday, the sale of a large part of what was the away terrace and introduction of all seats. I read somewhere in the last week that Brentford were the eighth best supported home team in the old First Division at one time in the 30's. They have been outside the top flight since the end of the second world war. Just imagine being sleeping giants for 64 years! You know we would all be Bees fans if we grew up in West London.
  • Options
    i thought that se10 on first look
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Purely as a matter of interest, how did Bostock play for Brentford? I see he was subsistuted after an hour and as noone has mentioned him yet, I presume he wasnt really in the game?

Was never in the game. Got booked for a late tackle on Bailey. Would be better off staying on loan at Brentford as I can't see him getting anywhere near the first team at tottenham at the moment.
  • Options
    Got subbed early as he was going off otherwise, got away with an outrageous body check on the far touchline about 2 mins before he was subbed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Took my dad yesterday. He's not a Charlton fan as such but has seen a handful of our matches over the years. In fact, the last time he saw us lose was in the FA Cup Semi at Fulham in 1946!!! He thought Dickson, Bailey and Sam looked the main men for us. I agree...and I'd also make a sly bid in January for Brentford's No.32 Legge. Raw non-league talent....who gets his head on everything!!! Another Sodje in the making I feel.

Anyway...just for the crack, my dad's complete Charlton viewing record is;

The Fulham semi 1946...lost 1-2 and he sat on the tube afterwards with Ronnie Rooke who got both Fulham goals.

Arsenal away won 5-2 !!!! Hans Jeppson hat-trick.

Man City away 1954 won 5-1 !!!!! Firmani hat-trick and Bert Trautmann decked a Charlton player in the tunnel afterwards.

Huddersfield away exactly 10 years prior to yesterday's match...won 2-1..Hunt and John Robinson's pile driver. And as he remarked to AshTray in the pub beforehand...it was the first time he'd seen Charlton and Sam Bartram hadn't been in goal!!!!

PS: And for those who can't believe Brentford were once quite a big club....me dad once got locked out of Griffin Park along with thousands of others when Derek Dooley (goal scoring sensation of the day) visited with Sheff Wed (I think). The biggest crowd I've been in at Brentford was 18,000....in Div 4 in 1979.
  • Options
    that's a great picture
  • Options
    1905, sue and Ian at the back there im sure.
  • Options
    can you spot yourself oohahh?
  • Options
    Literally just cut me off past the pillar on the left.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]can you spot yourself oohahh?

That's Oohahh with the Santa hat right at the front - LOCKED ON FACT!
  • Options
    whats jonjo doing ready to run on from behind the goal?
  • Options
    OohAhh's the one doing the head count at the back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]can you spot yourself oohahh?

OohAah is actually Curbs' user name on CL.
    He always sits in the Director's Box with Peter Varney.

;o)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    couldn't get a ticket (un)fortunately
    i was working
    it's christmas
    family committments
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks to MOG's generous offer of two tickets and a frantic rush from Norwich via Sydenham, to Griffin Park, I got there about twenty minutes late! The first half action that I saw had us on top without doing anything spectacular.

Dickson came close towards the end of the first half with a lob and looked lively. D'Urso was at his "look at me I'm the ref" worst in the first half, booking Semedo when most could see their players movement deliberately took him in Semedo's path.

It was disappointing to concede so early in the second half. Those who could actually see what happened, did better than I, perhaps I should have gone to Specsavers!

We upped our game after the goal and the penalty was good reward for the pressure we were bringing. Indeed a couple of minutes earlier we had a decent shout turned down.

Somehow though we let Brentford back into it and they came close when a free kick struck the underside of the bar.

The final few minutes saw us on the attack again but we couldn't deliver the killer ball. The players looked tired towards the end on a heavy pitch.

I felt a draw was a fair result and it was a point won.

As for the ground, well I spent the first half (what was left of it) in the lower tier on the terraces, and the second half in the death trap of the upper tier with its one exit, squeezed into the seats with no leg room. Glad we didn't have to evacuate the stand for a fire or something as there would have been hundreds incinerated or crushed trying to get out - it took us 6 or 7 minutes to file out of the exit and down the uneven stairs.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8434172.stm
    Didnt realise we had a couple of those chances!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8434172.stm
    Didnt realise we had a couple of those chances!

Yep, according to the commentator, " the East vs West London derby ..."

Anyone notice that the ball wasn't on the penalty spot as Bailey blasted his penalty?
    That goalmouth was like a ploughed field!
  • Options
    Dicko's goal would have been lovely... if it had gone in.