Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Warsaw vs. Charlton - 2nd Jan 2010 - GAME CALLED OFF AT SILLY O CLOCK

Comments

• Options
    Shocking, you would have thought they would have learnt! even worse considering they appeared v confident this morning it would be going ahead.

Happy New Year from all at Walsall FC...
  • Options
    Ok they are not a prem club. but this always looked dubious.. should have been called off this morning at the latest, Charlton should put in a protest about this to re-imburse the fans, wont happen...... If there are sections dangerous now why were they not deemed this way earlier.......
  • Options
    A bit unfair to blame Walsall FC - the referee makes the decisions. By the sound of it the club did their best to let the game be played. Walsall is in the middle of the country and away from the moderating influence of the sea, so temperatures tend to be lower than nearer the coast.
  • Options
    Lot of pissed off people at watford gap.

Glorious sunshine and not even cold by the way
  • Options
    Oh well few of us will be down the pub about 3 if anyone wants a beer
  • Options
    just got to hope wycombe turn over norwich now to take away their advantage over us.
  • Options
    arn't they both in cup games today?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]Best get over there quick, it may sell out with the onslaught of Addicks and Warsaw fans wanting to watch a match!

going to the wycombe game today has to be more attractive to us hasn't it. don't want to be doing stinking premiership games anyway!
  • Options
    yep its a league game... bollo* we will lose 2nd spot now
  • Options
    Glad to see that the OS is up to its usual speed...no announcement of the game being off and it's at least one hour after just about every other source confirms otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got as far as Preston in horrendous traffic and would never have made Walsall by kick off, so for us it was a good result but commiserations to the rest of you.

For the team proberly the best outcome as it gives them time to get more players fit, just hope Wycombe do the business.

Come on you Choirboys, or is it Chairboys?
  • Options
    Gutted for those who made the trip. Though on the playing side, an extra week to get Dailly, Burton, Richardson and Youga fit might not be a bad thing.
  • Options
    I got as far as Sandbatch when I found out. Only 20 miles in. Could have been more. Annoyed but what can you do?! Remember Newcastle in 2005? Now that was far from funny.
  • Options
    that is two consecutive weeks whereby after an early inspection, paased on both occasions, the pitch has later been deemed unplayable. In between temperatures would have risen. Are Walsall promising the officials too much or putting undue pressure on them to play the game ? With no gate income for three weeks now maybe they are feeling the pinch and desperate to play to generate income. Questions seriously need to be asked of Walsall. Maybe Lambert was right last week and that it was unsafe to play on. Once can be put down to bad luck etc, but twice ?
  • Options
    At a half empty villa park to watch a couple of massive clubs and their squad players ;-)
  • Options
    Does seem a joke. Having seen the forecast and bearing the problem last week it seemed to me to be a nailed on certainty to be called off. I can't understand how the ref could have been so confident at 9.30am.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes bing I agree...(despite the slight concern of a later inspection), reports from the earlier one indicated that he just wanted to dot the i's and cross the t's to confirm it would go ahead.....it all seemed very promising at 9.30..only to go tyt's up by 12.00....UGH!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I can't understand how the ref could have been so confident at 9.30am.

because 'It'll be ok Mr Ref, we have twenty people working on the pitch, even the Chairman is out there, we'll put twenty braziers on the pitch and light them and whilst we are roasting our chesnuts the pitch will be thawing out. Also, if we can't get the game on we won't be able to pay the wages this week and children will go hungry'.

'Oh, okay' says Mr Ref. 'I'll give you until 12pm when we'll have another inspection'

'Fine Mr Ref, it will be playable don't you worry'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I can't understand how the ref could have been so confident at 9.30am.

because 'It'll be ok Mr Ref, we have twenty people working on the pitch, even the Chairman is out there, we'll put twenty braziers on the pitch and light them and whilst we are roasting our chesnuts the pitch will be thawing out. Also, if we can't get the game on we won't be able to pay the wages this week and children will go hungry'.

'Oh, okay' says Mr Ref. 'I'll give you until 12pm when we'll have another inspection'

'Fine Mr Ref, it will be playable don't you worry'

lol was u there, sounds quite accurate

also apologise for anyone who made the trip and who was on the way but wat can u do?
  • Options
    Just got back - made it as far as M40 J11.
    I did enjoy listening to the York City team coach saga on the radio though, so it could have been worse I suppose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    0-0 half time at Carshalton v Sutton. Big derby game. It's cold and I'm bored.
  • Options
    Made it as far as Watford Gap where there were plenty of pissed off looking Charlton fans, 5 hours, £40 of petrol all cause the ref was not brave enough to call it off at 9.30am.

Tinpot club - your third tier English football and can not even get a 3pm game on. I am watching Beckenham Town play - they managed to get their game on for goodness sake!
  • Options
    the pitch must have been so much worse at 12 45 than 9 30 musn't it ? erm ? £40 out of pocket on petrol and 5 hours of wasted time - I really would like to see th walsall grounsman and the referee explian that to me face to face !
  • Options
    The ref actually opted not to make a final decision at midday so he could have another look at 12.30pm when the Walsall staff had done more work on the frozen bit. I think he was doing his best for Walsall, but it's a poor way to treat our fans.
  • Options
    4 20 and still no newsflash from charlton the game is off - it would have been nice to have hadan email newsflash - might have saved a bit of time and petrol until radio announced it
  • Options
    so we do get our coach fare back dont we airman,how do i go about claiming it back.Just got back in left house at 8.15am this morning with a cheesed of 8 year old in tow who has been bored senseless on a coach all day.Also have a friend with a very disappointed son who was going to be mascot.
  • Options
    Norwich winning 1 -0
  • Options
    We lost pools panel gave it as a "home win" :o(
  • Options
    Just got back.

Was in the home car park by one to get into the Saddlers Club early - not a happy bunny to be told of the postponement - especially as the ref had said it should be ok at 9.30am.

Spoke to one of the groundstaff - he said Parky was happy for it to go ahead (unlike Lambert last week, who he heard say "youre not thinking of the safety of my players")

Anyone want to buy my programme?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]so we do get our coach fare back dont we airman,how do i go about claiming it back.Just got back in left house at 8.15am this morning with a cheesed of 8 year old in tow who has been bored senseless on a coach all day.Also have a friend with a very disappointed son who was going to be mascot.

As promised.