Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

It's great when you come across a film that you have barely heard of and it turns out to be a hidden gem. Netflix and Amazon are great for these kind of films and Hunt for the Wilderpeople really is a cracking little film.

This is the story of city kid Ricky , who gets a fresh start in the New Zealand countryside. He quickly finds himself at home with his new foster family. When a tragedy strikes that threatens to ship Ricky to another home, both he and Hec go on the run in the bush. As a national manhunt ensues, the newly branded outlaws must face their options: go out in a blaze of glory or overcome their differences and survive as a family.

We all know the acting qualities that Sam Neill has and he is great in this but the star of this particular show is Julian Dennison who plays Ricky. Rarely have I seen comedy timing from a kid like he has in this film.
    I laughed out loud several times during this movie which is unusual for me and comedies.
    The one liners are brilliant and that credit has to go to New Zealand director and screenplay writer Taika Waititi .
    I usually cringe when I hear that a movie is "feel good" but not in this case.
    Recommended

8 out of 10

https://youtu.be/dPaU4Gymt3E

Cracking film, watched it a few times and still laugh. V enjoyable. It wasnt mainstream but it was high up on a lot of Film of the Year awards for 2016 i believe.

If you like that check out What We Do In The Shadows by the same director (Taika Waititi), spoof documentary about a group of vampires, similar comedy style. V funny.
  • Options
    Watched Bone Tomahawk last night. Good film but absolutely brutal at times. One death scene in particular is going to stay with me for a while. Good characters v well acted, not for the lighthearted.
  • Options

Icarus

Russia is a big topic in the news at the moment and as per usual their integrity is in question. If you ever had any doubt that the Russians haven't changed their attitude from the Cold War you only have to see Icarus to see that dishonesty and corruption is rife and it comes right from the top.

This film starts of with amateur cyclist , Bryan Fogel Intending to prove that sports doping testing can be rigged. He contacts Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov, the head of the anti-doping laboratory that tests Russian Olympians. As Fogel tries to beat the tests, he becomes closer with Rodchenkov and uncovers the biggest scandal in modern sports history, thereby exposing both of them to physical and legal danger.

What struck me about this film is the scale of the doping that has been going on in Russia and for how long. There is no doubt now that it has been happening and that's because it had come the horses mouth - Rodchenkov.
    You can't help but like the man despite his part in almost destroying Athletics and you do worry for his future.
    As a piece of entertainment , Icarus is fascinating without particularly being gripping. It could do 20 minutes being trimmed off.
    This film won best documentary at this years Oscars and while it doesn't feel like an award winner it certainly deserves a viewing just to see the pure front of the Russians.

7 out of 10

https://youtu.be/qXoRdSTrR-4
  • Options
    Almost 20 years old but watched Magnolia last night. A day in the life of several characters who seemed to be linked in one way or another.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Almost 20 years old but watched Magnolia last night. A day in the life of several characters who seemed to be linked in one way or another.

Utterly bizarre film. I really liked it but it's one I hesitate to recommend because it's not to many people's taste.
    I love the start of it, featuring ridiculous coincidences, and the recurrent number 82 through the film. The ending can be too much for some though.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    IdleHans said:

1StevieG said:

Utterly bizarre film. I really liked it but it's one I hesitate to recommend because it's not to many people's taste.
    I love the start of it, featuring ridiculous coincidences, and the recurrent number 82 through the film. The ending can be too much for some though.
    Yeah that ending was bizarre and I guessed it was either referencing the coincidence of the story of the diver or the other ridiculous event at the beginning of the film or some sort of biblical reference which I had to look up ( which also relates to the number 82 ) and I am still slightly none the wiser for it.
  • Options
    It's a wet bank holiday so I might watch it again while I wait for Roland to get lost.
  • Options
    Isle of Dogs
    If you like animation you have to see this film from Wes Anderson. A story about dogs being banished to an island following an outbreak of illness - themes of fake news, deceit and battling against adversity. Superb animation and excellent script. Loved it. 9.5/10
  • Options

Isle of Dogs
    If you like animation you have to see this film from Wes Anderson. A story about dogs being banished to an island following an outbreak of illness - themes of fake news, deceit and battling against adversity. Superb animation and excellent script. Loved it. 9.5/10

Did you think it a kids film though?
    It is a very clever film no doubt but the children in the cinema seemed a bit baffled by it.
  • Options
    On Body and Soul
    A brilliant, touching and subtle funny film really should of got the 'best foreign film' in the Oscars. The location of an abattoir gives the film's akward love story a real edge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Isle of Dogs

It is a very clever film no doubt but the children in the cinema seemed a bit baffled by it.
    No it's not a kids film. The trouble with animation is people immediately think its for kids - the film itself is very dark in places and the theme of the film is complex.

I have no idea how the film has been promoted or what audience it was aimed at. It's certainly not like Disney.

Some animation is very adult and kids would certainly struggle with it.
  • Options

Isle of Dogs

No it's not a kids film. The trouble with animation is people immediately think its for kids - the film itself is very dark in places and the theme of the film is complex.

I have no idea how the film has been promoted or what audience it was aimed at. It's certainly not like Disney.

Thanks for posting. My grand daughter (8) wanted to see Isle of Dogs but chose Peter Rabbit instead. We both enjoyed Peter Rabbit (7/10- good mixture of action and some laughs) but we'll give IoD a miss.
  • Options

Isle of Dogs

Thanks for posting. My grand daughter (8) wanted to see Isle of Dogs but chose Peter Rabbit instead. We both enjoyed Peter Rabbit (7/10- good mixture of action and some laughs) but we'll give IoD a miss.
    Some kids might like it but I can imagine a lot of youngsters just wouldn't get it. Not really something I'd recommend if you're expecting something Disney.

I would be curious to hear the reaction of any younger children who've seen it as to what they made of it.
  • Options

Isle of Dogs

Some kids might like it but I can imagine a lot of youngsters just wouldn't get it. Not really something I'd recommend if you're expecting something Disney.

I would be curious to hear the reaction of any younger children who've seen it as to what they made of it.
    I saw it last week and the other parents with kids all filed out very quietly looking a bit bewildered*

*I did see it in Somerset though.
  • Options

Isle of Dogs

I saw it last week and the other parents with kids all filed out very quietly looking a bit bewildered*

I wonder if they've ever watched Family Guy....
  • Options

Watched Bone Tomahawk last night. Good film but absolutely brutal at times. One death scene in particular is going to stay with me for a while. Good characters v well acted, not for the lighthearted.

Yeah, know which one you mean.
  • Options
    Did anyone see "A Quiet Place"? Getting epic reviews.
  • Options
    Saw 'Ghost Stories last night - British horror flick based on the theatre production. A very British take on horror which was very atmospheric. Enjoyable but a bit disjointed in its narrative. Paul Whitehouse is excellent.
    7.5/10
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Isle of Dogs

I was thinking of taking the kids to see this tomorrow but I’ve just seen it’s a Wes Anderson film and I despise his work. They are nauseatingly bad in my opinion and yet the critics drawl over his movies . “Emperors new clothes “ is the perfect description for the dross he makes.
  • Options
    Isle of dogs is not a kids film. Was good though (7.5)

Ready player One a bit formulaic in places but good cinema candy, definitely worth a watch (8)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Isle of Dogs

I was thinking of taking the kids to see this tomorrow but I’ve just seen it’s a Wes Anderson film and I despise his work. They are nauseatingly bad in my opinion and yet the critics drawl over his movies . “Emperors new clothes “ is the perfect description for the dross he makes.
    You sound an open minded sort of chap.
  • Options

Isle of Dogs

No when it comes to Wes Anderson.
  • Options

Isle of Dogs

Why is your dislike of him so strong? His latest film is genuinely an interesting piece of animation even if you don't like him.

What directors/recent films do you like as a matter of interest?
  • Options

Isle of Dogs

Why is your dislike of him so strong? His latest film is genuinely an interesting piece of animation even if you don't like him.

I’m not beds but his films tend to be hipster porn and style over substance. The actual stories in his films are quite uninteresting usually. Grand Budapest hotel is the exception as I really enjoyed that.
  • Options
    Anyone seen the latest trailer for Solo: A Star Wars story?

I am biased as I will watch anything Star Wars wise but after loving the last spin off in Rogue One, and seeing this trailer, I am certainly looking forward to it.
  • Options

Did anyone see "A Quiet Place"? Getting epic reviews.

Saw it Sunday, very good film. Wouldn't say it's that much of a horror as such. There's a few jumps, but it's more non-stop tension that horror per se. Great performances from all involved, and it was brave to make a film with so little dialogue. Definitely worth a watch, don't buy snacks if you're a loud eater, everybody in the cinema will hate you lol
  • Options

Isle of Dogs

I’m not beds but his films tend to be hipster porn and style over substance. The actual stories in his films are quite uninteresting usually. Grand Budapest hotel is the exception as I really enjoyed that.
    Have you seen Isle of Dogs?
  • Options
    A Quiet Place is fantastic! Would happily go watch again.
  • Options

A Quiet Place is fantastic! Would happily go watch again.

Seems to be getting excellent feedback - hopefully see it this week.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Isle of Dogs

His films are too geometric for me ( especially Grand Budapest hotel). He relies far too much on making his films look chocolate box like and I find them visually assaulting . I also don't get his humour. It's a shame because some of the actors he gets to star his films are some of my favourites. Gene Hackman ,Bill Murray , Ralph Fiennes , Willem Dafoe etc.. I just hate like the films. I can't help how I feel.
    As for recent films I've seen , I have reviewed them all on this thread.