Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

Annihilation

This is a story about a biologist , Lena , who's husband barely returns alive from a secret expedition. She then leads an anthropologist, a surveyor , a linguist , and a psychologist into a mysterious, expanding region called the Shimmer where evolution has taken a twisted turn. The all-female team must uncover the area’s monstrous secrets to save Lena’s husband and the world.

This is another Netflix original movie and another really good film from them . Natalie Portman and Oscar Isaac star and you can see Netflix have not scrimped on the production. This looks absolutely fantastic ( especially in Ultra HD) and the special affects are top notch. This is a cross between Sci Fi and horror and has a really interesting concept. Without giving too much away , inside this Shimmer there are beings that don't just kill any humans that enter , they assimilate with them producing hybred beings. There is one scene with a bear that is really cleverly done.
    I really liked this. It crosses genres and rarely disappoints.
    What I also liked is that lot's of horror and Sci-Fi films don't know how to end . This certainly does.

8 out of 10

https://youtu.be/89OP78l9oF0
  • Options

Anyone responsible for The Royal Tenabaums never deserves another chance

One of the few films that I have walked out of or switched off before the end.

It’s up there with the likes of Dude where’s my car and Get Carter (remake) in that respect.
  • Options

Annihilation

This is a story about a biologist , Lena , who's husband barely returns alive from a secret expedition. She then leads an anthropologist, a surveyor , a linguist , and a psychologist into a mysterious, expanding region called the Shimmer where evolution has taken a twisted turn. The all-female team must uncover the area’s monstrous secrets to save Lena’s husband and the world.

This is another Netflix original movie and another really good film from them . Natalie Portman and Oscar Isaac star and you can see Netflix have not scrimped on the production. This looks absolutely fantastic ( especially in Ultra HD) and the special affects are top notch. This is a cross between Sci Fi and horror and has a really interesting concept. Without giving too much away , inside this Shimmer there are beings that don't just kill any humans that enter , they assimilate with them producing hybred beings. There is one scene with a bear that is really cleverly done.
    What I also liked is that lot's of horror and Sci-Fi films don't know how to end . This certainly does.

8 out of 10

I found this a difficult watch mostly because the brilliant, subtle and otherworldly qualities of the 'Southern Reach Trilogy' books have been demolished by this film. I really recommend the books, that move through psychology, environmental science, subtle changes, Sci Fi, horror and cataclysm.

The film seemed to take just a few elements of the film, put in some romance, add some quite corny horror, find a simple predictable childlike ending disregarding the complexity of the novels.

It was originally on general release produced by paramount and then sold to netflix as it wasn't hitting the ratings. I don't get the 'Netflix origin movie' tag on it at all.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Annihilation

8 out of 10

I found this a difficult watch mostly because the brilliant, subtle and otherworldly qualities of the 'Southern Reach Trilogy' books have been demolished by this film. I really recommend the books, that move through psychology, environmental science, subtle changes, Sci Fi, horror and cataclysm.

The film seemed to take just a few elements of the film, put in some romance, add some quite corny horror, find a simple predictable childlike ending disregarding the complexity of the novels.

It was originally on general release produced by paramount and then sold to netflix as it wasn't hitting the ratings. I don't get the 'Netflix origin movie' tag on it at all.
    I didn't realise this came from a book. Very rarely do films live up to books or what perception you have in your head after reading them. It's incredibly hard to transfer a book ( or three books) to celluloid and make it as good . I will have to try to get hold of them.
  • Options

Isle of Dogs
    If you like animation you have to see this film from Wes Anderson. A story about dogs being banished to an island following an outbreak of illness - themes of fake news, deceit and battling against adversity. Superb animation and excellent script. Loved it. 9.5/10

Did you think it a kids film though?
    It is a very clever film no doubt but the children in the cinema seemed a bit baffled by it.
    No it's not a kids film. The trouble with animation is people immediately think its for kids - the film itself is very dark in places and the theme of the film is complex.

I have no idea how the film has been promoted or what audience it was aimed at. It's certainly not like Disney.

Some animation is very adult and kids would certainly struggle with it.
    Thanks for posting. My grand daughter (8) wanted to see Isle of Dogs but chose Peter Rabbit instead. We both enjoyed Peter Rabbit (7/10- good mixture of action and some laughs) but we'll give IoD a miss.
    Some kids might like it but I can imagine a lot of youngsters just wouldn't get it. Not really something I'd recommend if you're expecting something Disney.

I would be curious to hear the reaction of any younger children who've seen it as to what they made of it.
    I saw it last week and the other parents with kids all filed out very quietly looking a bit bewildered*

*I did see it in Somerset though.
    I was thinking of taking the kids to see this tomorrow but I’ve just seen it’s a Wes Anderson film and I despise his work. They are nauseatingly bad in my opinion and yet the critics drawl over his movies . “Emperors new clothes “ is the perfect description for the dross he makes.
    You sound an open minded sort of chap.
    No when it comes to Wes Anderson.
    Why is your dislike of him so strong? His latest film is genuinely an interesting piece of animation even if you don't like him.

What directors/recent films do you like as a matter of interest?
    His films are too geometric for me ( especially Grand Budapest hotel). He relies far too much on making his films look chocolate box like and I find them visually assaulting . I also don't get his humour. It's a shame because some of the actors he gets to star his films are some of my favourites. Gene Hackman ,Bill Murray , Ralph Fiennes , Willem Dafoe etc.. I just hate like the films. I can't help how I feel.
    As for recent films I've seen , I have reviewed them all on this thread.

I thought Grand Budapest Hotel was okay and I liked the animated Fantastic Mr Fox. Isle of Dogs is I think a brilliant piece of animation but if you don't like his style it might be hard for you to watch. Once you take a dislike to an actor or director it's hard to undo - I find it hard to watch anything with Tom Cruise or Owen Wilson in.
  • Options
    Owen Wilson has been in seven Wes Anderson films. (I had to look that up.)
  • Options
    Sort of off topic, but does anyone else make the same mistake watch a film thinking this could have potential. 10 mins in can tell the movie is going to be naff, but still watch it until the end. I have done this so many times, which afterwards i am always like well that was terrible.

Last nights was on demand ' double date' 3/10 - Supposed to be a thriller/comedy but it was probably one of the worst movies, bad plot, bad everything.
  • Options
    'In Between' (Israel/France)

An engaging tale of three admirable young Palestinian women seeking to make their way and shape their own destinies in Tel Aviv, away from the immediate strictures of their families and communities, although the pressures of a traditional, intolerant and patriarchal society are never far away. The dilemma they face is whether or not to make their own lifestyle choices and to run the very real risk of being ostracised from their families and communities should they do so.

There are very strong performances from the three leads (and the cast generally) and Tel Aviv - together with the music and cinematography - provides an interesting and vibrant backcloth. The narrative is a little predictable in parts but that is a relatively minor quibble. The film is poignant, tough, uncompromising and, in parts, amusing.

It also earned Maysaloun Hamoud, the young, female, first -time director the first Palestinian fatwa in 70 years for her depictions of homosexuality, intoxication and drug use. I thought it was very good - 8/10
  • Options

Sort of off topic, but does anyone else make the same mistake watch a film thinking this could have potential. 10 mins in can tell the movie is going to be naff, but still watch it until the end. I have done this so many times, which afterwards i am always like well that was terrible.

Last nights was on demand ' double date' 3/10 - Supposed to be a thriller/comedy but it was probably one of the worst movies, bad plot, bad everything.

It’s very rare that I don’t see a film through no matter how bad it is .
    I remember walking out of the cinema during two films. Drilbit Taylor ( ironically also with Owen Wilson ) and a film called Young Eisenstein which starred a terrible Australian comedian called Yahoo Serious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shrew said:

Annihilation

8 out of 10

I did wonder if this would be any good as I have friends who've read the books and thought the film was a very thin effort in comparison. I hadn't read the books but thought it was OK. I can see why Paramount chickened out and sold it to Netflix instead. It was all a bit too mild. Not scary enough, not clever enough and the alien was not weird or disturbing enough.
  • Options

Fully agree, didn’t enjoy that film at all, although my son loves it.
  • Options

Annihilation

8 out of 10

That bear scene was intense.
  • Options

It’s up there with the likes of Dude where’s my car and Get Carter (remake) in that respect.
    hey.. Hey! HEY! GET OUTTA HERE. The “dude! what does mine say?!” “Sweet! What does mine say?!” Exchange is one I still quote from almost daily...

My missus must hate me
  • Options

Did anyone see "A Quiet Place"? Getting epic reviews.

Saw it Sunday, very good film. Wouldn't say it's that much of a horror as such. There's a few jumps, but it's more non-stop tension that horror per se. Great performances from all involved, and it was brave to make a film with so little dialogue. Definitely worth a watch, don't buy snacks if you're a loud eater, everybody in the cinema will hate you lol
    agree with it not being a horror, you knew every time a 'scary' bit was coming up

that didn't stop it from being a brilliant film though, completely different from anything I've seen before and really well executed
  • Options
    edited April 2018

hey.. Hey! HEY! GET OUTTA HERE. The “dude! what does mine say?!” “Sweet! What does mine say?!” Exchange is one I still quote from almost daily...

My missus must hate me
    Hahaha....Classic. That’s up there with the Robert De Niro monologue in taxi driver. :smiley:

Dude....Sweet....
  • Options

Not a new film but watched 'Young Offenders' last night. Such a daft, likeable, funny film.

Watched it a couple of weeks ago. Very funny but not overly original. I’ve heard the TV show is poor by comparison.
  • Options
    Went to see Isle of Dogs to get out of the rain in Marseille, so actually went to see Iles des Chiens. Really good if very strange. As others have said, it’s not a kids’ film just because it’s animated (a bit like Grave of the Fireflies in that respect).
  • Options

Not a new film but watched 'Young Offenders' last night. Such a daft, likeable, funny film.

Watched it a couple of weeks ago. Very funny but not overly original. I’ve heard the TV show is poor by comparison.
    It's not quite as good but I still really enjoyed it.

• Options
    Again not a new film but we watched 'What We Did on Our Holiday' last night - it's by Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin who write 'Outnumbered', and has a similar feel, famiy life, 3 kids saying funny stuff if the kids are slightly less dryly smart arsed.

Billy Connolly as their Grandad being effectively Billy Connolly is great.

Won't spoil it if people haven't seen it but there's a bit halfway through which guides the rest of the film that I found hilarious. Was decent before that but so funny from then on.

It's on Netflix, would recommend it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just back from Death Wish. I thought it was good/average. Turn your brain off at the door type thing. I've not seen the original, but would recommend this.
  • Options
    Watched Isle of Dogs last night, nothing big that is going to stay with me afterwards but found it a complete visual delight. I thought the script, its delivery, the design, animation and humour were all brilliant.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Watched Isle of Dogs last night, nothing big that is going to stay with me afterwards but found it a complete visual delight. I thought the script, its delivery, the design, animation and humour were all brilliant.

It's one of the best animated films I've seen - very clever and very inventive.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Okja. A slightly barmy and enchanting film about a young girl who has grown up with a breed of pig that are supposed to solve the worlds food shortage. Tilda Swinton, Jake Gyllenhaal and Paul Dano are all deliciously over the top or mildly bonkers. Gives you plenty to think about afterwards regarding our attitudes to farming animals for food ( although yearning for a bacon sarnie was probably not meant to be one of them! ).
  • Options
    Not a film, but watched "The Defiant Ones" on Netflix earlier and thought it was one of the best things I've watched in a long time.
  • Options

To The Bone

As far as i am aware I have never knowingly met anyone who suffers from Anorexia Nervosa . The only reference that springs to mind is a Louis Theroux documentary i recently watched called Talking to Anorexia where he followed a group of patients in North London clinic. The main thing that struck me about all the girls he interviewed is that it was unlikely that they were ever going to lead a normal life again and most would never get better . To The Bone highlights this well.

This is the story of Ellen , a young anorexic who has spent the better part of her teenage years being shepherded through various recovery programs, only to find herself several pounds lighter every time. Determined to find a solution, her dysfunctional family agrees to send her to a group home for youths who are also suffering with their own problems.

This isn't the most hard hitting of films considering the subject matter. For the most part , the story is told in a light hearted manner and with humour. Lily Collins is extremely good in the lead roll and the fact that she had to lose so much weight to play the part is impressive. British actor, Alex Sharp is also very good as the love interest but there is a dark side to this movie. No , not the mental illness that Ellen is suffering but the fact that they cast " Mr Wooden" Keanu Reeves in the roll as the doctor. It's one of the worst bit's of miss casting I've seen in a while.
    Overall it's not a bad film I just feel at times it could have been a little more edgier.

7 out of 10

https://youtu.be/705yRfs6Dbs
  • Options

Rampage

I really like Dwayne Johnson . He's funny , charismatic and perfect for the big screen ,so why when I look back at what films he has starred in , i can't find one that I particularly like?
    This includes Rampage which my oldest son dragged me along to see today.
    Just read the synopsis that Fandango.com puts up about the film and you might see why I wasn't taken with it.

A silverback gorilla, a wolf and a reptile grow to a monstrous size after a rogue genetic experiment goes wrong. Primatologist Davis Okoye soon joins forces with the military to prevent the mutated beasts from destroying everything in their path.

Sounds stupid? well it's even more stupid than it sounds.
    This is a film that you could spend all day long picking holes at so it's best to shut the brain off at the door if you are going to get anything out of this.
    Incidentally my son is 15 and he loved it . I'm 50 this year and felt the opposite so you can see who this film is really aimed at.
    As I said before , I like Dwayne Johnson but I look forward to the day he puts his muscles away and does films with a little bit more substance and a little less CGI.

5 out of 10

https://youtu.be/wXGkeTEdUDM
  • Options

Isle of Dogs
    If you like animation you have to see this film from Wes Anderson. A story about dogs being banished to an island following an outbreak of illness - themes of fake news, deceit and battling against adversity. Superb animation and excellent script. Loved it. 9.5/10

Did you think it a kids film though?
    It is a very clever film no doubt but the children in the cinema seemed a bit baffled by it.
    Saw it recently and enjoyed it. Visually excellent, very detailed and stylistically fabulous (sometimes it's all Wes Anderson does). But unusually for him this had a reasonable story line and script. 7.5.

But NOT a kids film, especially judging by the behaviour of the five fidgety little bastards of 12 or so who'd been dumped there by a parent who'd clearly fucked off for some peace and quiet leaving them to rustle and slurp their way through a film that was way over their heads.

Anyway, they're dead now.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Rampage

I really like Dwayne Johnson . He's funny , charismatic and perfect for the big screen ,so why when I look back at what films he has starred in , i can't find one that I particularly like?
    This includes Rampage which my oldest son dragged me along to see today.
    Just read the synopsis that Fandango.com puts up about the film and you might see why I wasn't taken with it.

A silverback gorilla, a wolf and a reptile grow to a monstrous size after a rogue genetic experiment goes wrong. Primatologist Davis Okoye soon joins forces with the military to prevent the mutated beasts from destroying everything in their path.

Sounds stupid? well it's even more stupid than it sounds.
    This is a film that you could spend all day long picking holes at so it's best to shut the brain off at the door if you are going to get anything out of this.
    Incidentally my son is 15 and he loved it . I'm 50 this year and felt the opposite so you can see who this film is really aimed at.
    As I said before , I like Dwayne Johnson but I look forward to the day he puts his muscles away and does films with a little bit more substance and a little less CGI.

5 out of 10

https://youtu.be/wXGkeTEdUDM

My kids can’t wait for this one but that’s because it’s based on a late 80’s computer game that I still had a working version of when they were bubba’s and they remember playing as nippers.
    I’m sure it will be shit but if one of the monsters gets an electric shock from eating a teevee we’ll all go home very very happy :smile:
  • Options
    Anybody seen Ghost Stories - saw the stage show and would be interested in going to watch it in the cinema if it is any good.