Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Mv98Gr5pY&

Hyped for this, thought the worst cos venom's by far my favourite comic book character and spidey villain. Shame its spiderman-less since this isnt a marvel movie, but great to see venom sounding and looking like he should

It is a Marvel movie, just not a Fox, Disney or Universal one. There's a good article about who owns which movie rights here:

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/12/15/marvels-movie-rights-breakdown/

SLIGHT SPOILER WARNING IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE TRAILER
    It's long time since I've read a comic with Venom in it. In the last thing I read he was definitely a villain, has he changed to anti-hero now as in this film?

Re the trailer, another one that shows so much of the story I wonder if I need to see the film.
  • Options
    Watched Money Monster on Netflix. The first ten minutes are truly dire but then it settles down into a decent film. Wife drooled over George Clooney. 6.5/10
  • Options

Hyped for this, thought the worst cos venom's by far my favourite comic book character and spidey villain. Shame its spiderman-less since this isnt a marvel movie, but great to see venom sounding and looking like he should

What is that accent?!
  • Options

What is that accent?!
    Loves a silly voice doesn’t he, all he learned at acting classes...
  • Options

Is this a true story ?

:smile:
    I just asked the same thing!
  • Options
    FUNNY COW

Film set in the 1970s about a working class comedienne in the North of England - loosely based on the life of Marti Caine Maxine Peake is excellent in the central role ably supported by Paddy Considine.

The film is very dark and really takes you back to the 1970s - captures the atmosphere of the time. Lot of interesting actors in the cast including Stephen Graham and Alun Armstrong as an over the hill comedian.

If you like gritty British films I'd recommend this but I don't think it will get a wide release. Worth watching for Peake's performance.

8/10

• Options
    Saw
    Nadou said:

A Quiet Place - very compelling and tense. Not quite sure about the ambiguous ending.

Saw this today & found it very enjoyable in a jumpy kind of way .

Reminded me a bit of Signs and Alien - both my kind of films.
  • Options
    Avengers:infinity war

Found this film a massive disappointment but I'm obviously not the target audience. Enjoyed the last three Marvel films I saw - Deadpool/Logan/Black Panther - but this one was just too busy.

Far too many characters in the film and too much going on. If you don't know the full backstory to the characters then the film will just come across as messy and confusing.

I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy it but it was a long 2.5 hours for me and I would avoid it unless you are properly familiar with the franchise. 4/10
  • Options
    That Venom trailer has 43,000,000 views in 48 hours. Smells like a huge hit on the horizon.
  • Options

FUNNY COW

Film set in the 1970s about a working class comedienne in the North of England - loosely based on the life of Marti Caine Maxine Peake is excellent in the central role ably supported by Paddy Considine.

The film is very dark and really takes you back to the 1970s - captures the atmosphere of the time. Lot of interesting actors in the cast including Stephen Graham and Alun Armstrong as an over the hill comedian.

If you like gritty British films I'd recommend this but I don't think it will get a wide release. Worth watching for Peake's performance.

8/10

I fancy this but don't think I could watch it at the cinema, I may laugh at the wrong bits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

FUNNY COW

8/10

I fancy this but don't think I could watch it at the cinema, I may laugh at the wrong bits.
    It's hard not to laugh at the wrong bits. A lot of it is very dark and given that it's set in the 70s the jokes wouldn't get an airing today. I don't know how anyone under 30 would react...
  • Options
    Watched Hostiles, a western drama starring Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike. I liked the director's previous films Out of the Furnace and Black Mass. This one has a similarity: slow paced but compelling. Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike both give great performances, especially Bale. 8/10.
  • Options
    Watched Manchester by the Sea last night, very slow but keeps you interested. An absolute master class in acting by Casey Affleck, an Oscar well deserved sir!! Worth watching for his performance alone.
  • Options
    Disclaimer - Watched these on the plane to/from Australia, so not the best way to watch films on a tiny screen with crappy audio through shit headphones but nevertheless...

Jumanji Reboot of the original with only a brief link to the original really as an excuse to make some $$$, when the trailer first came out I was fuming at the idea of them making a sequel just as a money spinner on the name, but it was actually quite enjoyable. Jack Black was naturally very funny, and the Rock acted his part very well I thought. Not an astonishing film but kept me well entertained for a couple of hours with a few good laughs and had a pretty satisfying ending really. 7.5/10

I, Tonya Very good acting from Robbie and her mother, interesting storyline which engaging characters, the way it was filmed was clever as well. Was funny at parts and you definitely felt sorry for Harding who was only ever really looking for acceptance/affection. The film won't stick with me for a long time but great acting and Director did a good job, can see why awards were thrown its way but I wasn't blown away. 8/10
  • Options

Watched Manchester by the Sea last night, very slow but keeps you interested. An absolute master class in acting by Casey Affleck, an Oscar well deserved sir!! Worth watching for his performance alone.

Michelle Williams is great too. The scene that they meet on the street is heart-breaking.
  • Options
    RAMPAGE
    Saw this with my daughter - possibly the most ridiculous film I have ever seen.
  • Options
    Going to see the new Avengers film on Monday. Absolutely no interest in this genre of film but the Mrs is desperate to go and has no one to see it with. Would normally go with our youngest son but he is working abroad. It's nearly 3 hours long. Oh well, the things we do for love!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Going to see the new Avengers film on Monday. Absolutely no interest in this genre of film but the Mrs is desperate to go and has no one to see it with. Would normally go with our youngest son but he is working abroad. It's nearly 3 hours long. Oh well, the things we do for love!

If it's not your type of film it will really drag....
  • Options
    Caught up on a few films on a long flight.

3 Billboards - thought it was excellent. Actors well deserving of their oscars. Enjoyed it from start to finish.

Death of Stalin - very funny despite the pretty dark series of events it covers. Jason Isaacs the stand out.

Detroit - good but not great. Well acted by Will Poulter but a little disappointed overall given the good reviews when this came out.
  • Options
    Finally got around to seeing Star Wars Last Jedi... Too many attempts at humour.

5/10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BEAST
    Psychological thriller about a serial killer which is set in Jersey. Surprisingly the film works really well - it's very dark and atmospheric and the main characters are both dysfunctional outsiders. Beautifully filmed but very unsettling.

Excellent cast - Jessie Buckley and Johnny Flynn are outstanding. 8/10
  • Options
    Not a new film but Kajaki is on BBC2 at 10 tonight.

Well worth a watch.
  • Options

Well worth a watch.

Is that the one with the lads getting caught in the minefield? Fantastic, very believable and intense
  • Options
    Carter said:

Well worth a watch.

Is that the one with the lads getting caught in the minefield? Fantastic, very believable and intense
    Yes, well worth watching
  • Options
    Carter said:

Well worth a watch.

That’s the one. Based on a true story. One that hasn’t been made too Hollywood either
  • Options

Carter said:

Well worth a watch.

That’s the one. Based on a true story. One that hasn’t been made too Hollywood either
    No it definitely wasn't Hollywood, sometimes I cringe when actors try to recreate squaddie chat and banter and this one started a tiny bit like that but was perfectly executed. The guy who played Gren in game of thrones was brilliant
  • Options

I don't know how Disney can make such high-quality Marvel films.... and such utter shit Star Wars films.

Totally agree. The Star Wars films are awful
  • Options
    I must be in an odd mood lately of the recent films I’ve seen none stood out and overall disappointed.

Death of Lenin. Didn’t laugh much liked Buscemi.

Darkest Hour. Like Oldman as an actor and he did nothing wrong here but as a film lacked oomph.

Isle of Dogs. Watchable but nothing to write home about.

A Quite Place. Liked the idea but a new born baby keeping it quite illogical captain.

You were never really here. Again like Phoenix as an actor but it just felt lacking in something, not sure what.

I often feel storylines are just expecting too much from audiences and lacking in detail about how we reach certain stages in films.
  • Options

I must be in an odd mood lately of the recent films I’ve seen none stood out and overall disappointed.

Death of Lenin. Didn’t laugh much liked Buscemi.

Darkest Hour. Like Oldman as an actor and he did nothing wrong here but as a film lacked oomph.

Isle of Dogs. Watchable but nothing to write home about.

A Quite Place. Liked the idea but a new born baby keeping it quite illogical captain.

You were never really here. Again like Phoenix as an actor but it just felt lacking in something, not sure what.

I often feel storylines are just expecting too much from audiences and lacking in detail about how we reach certain stages in films.

is this the sequel to Death Of Stalin?