Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Goosebumps 2 : haunted halloween

Saw this with my daughter - enjoyable film that's well paced. If you want a film for kids for halloween it's not a bad choice. 6/10
  • Can only black actors assume the role of Othello ?

Feel this is a slightly different point to the James Bond question, although I do see your point, as the race of Othello's character is repeatedly referred to throughout the play and is an important character trait. Whereas, as Jimmy pointed out, Bond's character does not have a defined skin colour as far as I am concerned.
  • Can only black actors assume the role of Othello ?

Feel this is a slightly different point to the James Bond question, although I do see your point, as the race of Othello's character is repeatedly referred to throughout the play and is an important character trait. Whereas, as Jimmy pointed out, Bond's character does not have a defined skin colour as far as I am concerned.
    Who cares who plays James Bond - I'm assuming those who write the screenplay are free to do with it as they want.
  • @JiMMy 85 agree on Transformer Last knight, all previous ones i watched on a week off when i was off work and enjoyed but didn't get into it at all. Really dislike the fact Mark Wahlberg plays lead and we lost the original lead and megan fox.

Dark knight rises - The one with Bane is quality watch it every so often, The Dark Night is very good with Heath ledger great performance as the joker. Great films :)
  • Bad Times at the El Royale

A group of strangers meet up at a rundown hotel with a dark past and the secrets of the characters unfold as the film progresses. Set in the late 60s it's a Tarantino style film and it captures the feel of the time.

Cast includes Jeff Bridges, Dakota Johnson and a British actress Cynthia Eviro who seems to be developing a high profile in the US.

Not the most original but very watchable. 7/10
  • Saw Dogman last.night. Superb from lead actor although ending was a bit disappointing.
  • I saw Bohemian Rhapsody a few days back now- I quite enjoyed it, and find a lot of the reviews to be excessively harsh.

Rami Malek a definite standout though, did very well to portray Mercury.

Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it.

Was a little disappointed at the inaccuracies in the plot though. He wasn’t diagnosed with AIDS until well after Live Aid and they didn’t reform for the gig, they’d been on a world tour leading up to it, which was one of the reasons they were so on top of their game that day.

Having been at Live Aid and blown away by them on the day, I always go a bit misty eyed when I see the footage and tonight was no exception.
  • Yep. I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night and I loved it. A couple of the inaccuracies bugged me a bit. The first American tour used the Fat Bottomed Girls track before they had even recorded Bohemian Rhapsody, which left me wondering whether they had skipped one of the most fundamental moments in their history. The bit about the Aids announcement seemed a fair enough story change as they clearly wanted to leave the film on the high of Live Aid, and still include him telling the band what was coming to him health wise.
    But basically I loved the film, found it too short and was also misty eyed by the end. The audience all applauded at the end, and most were still seated at the end of the credits enjoying the music. To give a little context, I was a huge Queen fan from hearin Killer Queen the first time to when the released Hot Space and I found other music (the New Romantics were hitting their stride) so this film covers the best years of Queen for me. But I cannot really understand some of the criticism the film has recieved, it's a really enjoyable ride from start to finish and one of the best films I've seen this year.
    8/10
  • Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody last week and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. it was good that they didn't shy away from the inner frictions in the band and I thought the performances were very good. Rami Malik got Freddy Mercury's voice and mannerisms very well, although in the first instance he did look like he was wearing a pair of comedy teeth. Strangely when he was playing the first incarnation of Freddy I thought he looked a bit like a young Mick Jagger, anyone else think that? But the shorter hair, moustache Freddy was spot on. Thought the actor playing Brian May was also very good.

It was also good to finish on Live Aid and this bought back some great memories and indeed a lump to the throat. I know on this forum Queen are a bit Marmite but IMO Mercury was an outstanding frontman with an unbelievable voice and as Live Aid showed they could also be a proper kick ass rock and roll band as well. The film is well worth a look for anyone who's interested in music.
  • Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody last week and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. it was good that they didn't shy away from the inner frictions in the band and I thought the performances were very good. Rami Malik got Freddy Mercury's voice and mannerisms very well, although in the first instance he did look like he was wearing a pair of comedy teeth. Strangely when he was playing the first incarnation of Freddy I thought he looked a bit like a young Mick Jagger, anyone else think that? But the shorter hair, moustache Freddy was spot on. Thought the actor playing Brian May was also very good.

It was also good to finish on Live Aid and this bought back some great memories and indeed a lump to the throat. I know on this forum Queen are a bit Marmite but IMO Mercury was an outstanding frontman with an unbelievable voice and as Live Aid showed they could also be a proper kick ass rock and roll band as well. The film is well worth a look for anyone who's interested in music.

Am going to see it again this weekend - looking forward to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• PETERLOO

Latest film by Mike Leigh about the massacre in 1819 of pro democracy protestors in Manchester by British troops. It was a pretty disturbing event and the authorities tried to cover it up.

The film is a little too long but it gets the horror of the events across and illustrates the contempt of the ruling classes. An interesting watch. 7/10
  • edited November 2018
    Also saw BoRhap (as kids these days would call it) last night and enjoyed it a lot. Was funny to see the contemporary critics' comments on the track itself. Just shows what critics know.

There was a bit of a thin selection at the cinema so we ended with "Bohemian Rhapsody". I'm not a fan of Queen by any means, but enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Hardcore Queen fans would probably hate the factual and time-travelling liberties taken all over the place but for the casual non-Queen fan like myself, it did its job well enough.

I also found it amusing to see Sledge and Snafu from The Pacific reunited as glam rockers.
  • Watched two similar films last weekend. Mile 22 directed by Peter Berg starring Mark Wahlberg. Very average film according to critics so I had low expectations. Turned out to be a very entertaining action film and one that I totally enjoyed. 7.5/10

The other one is The Equalizer 2. I didn't watch the previous Equalizer. This one caught my eye as it was listed as similar to Mile 22. I don't think it is as good though. 6.5/10
  • The other one is The Equalizer 2. I didn't watch the previous Equalizer. This one caught my eye as it was listed as similar to Mile 22. I don't think it is as good though. 6.5/10

The Equalizer movies are watchable. Denzel will always be engaging, even if he is too old for this shit.

Still, E2 is... well it's weirdly written more than anything. There are so many sub-plots in it (the kid, the woman neighbour, the old guy and his wife) that even the main storyline gets lost in the final edit.

I guess they were trying to add in more than just Denzel vs the villains, and have his character helping more people. It just didn't hang together. Maybe that's why it was a TV series originally, maybe they can't give Denzel that much today without it getting confused.

Also, it has a terrible case of 'spot the bad guy'.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

The other one is The Equalizer 2. I didn't watch the previous Equalizer. This one caught my eye as it was listed as similar to Mile 22. I don't think it is as good though. 6.5/10

The Equalizer movies are watchable. Denzel will always be engaging, even if he is too old for this shit.

Still, E2 is... well it's weirdly written more than anything. There are so many sub-plots in it (the kid, the woman neighbour, the old guy and his wife) that even the main storyline gets lost in the final edit.

I guess they were trying to add in more than just Denzel vs the villains, and have his character helping more people. It just didn't hang together. Maybe that's why it was a TV series originally, maybe they can't give Denzel that much today without it getting confused.

Also, it has a terrible case of 'spot the bad guy'.
    Totally agreed. It has too many sub-plots that are unnecessary. It's a two hour film but I feel it'd be better if it was just 90 minutes or so.

Yes!
  • Saw Bohemian Rhapsody tonight at the Picturehouse. Really enjoyed it, I mean what's not to like if you're a Queen fan? Saw them at Wembley '86 and they were amazing.
    Rami Malik was very good although too thin for the Live Aid Freddie. The bloke who played John Deacon looked more and more like him as the film went on and in the end was the absolute spit! I knew Mike Myers was in it but had to check the cast at the end credits to see who played, I would never had guessed.
  • Saw Dogman last.night. Superb from lead actor although ending was a bit disappointing.

Loved it. Portrays getting stuck with an arsehole very well, even at the end (that was my perception anyway). Also thought the settings gave a good look into the poverty and depravity of Italian society.
  • Going to see The Girl in the Spider's Web tonight. I don't remember much about Fincher's Dragon Tattoo, and haven't read the books or seen the Swedish movies, so it will be interesting to see if I have the remotest idea what's going on.

Which I suppose is key for this film - I can't be the only one wondering what knowledge I need to have going in... will report back later.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

Going to see The Girl in the Spider's Web tonight. I don't remember much about Fincher's Dragon Tattoo, and haven't read the books or seen the Swedish movies, so it will be interesting to see if I have the remotest idea what's going on.

Which I suppose is key for this film - I can't be the only one wondering what knowledge I need to have going in... will report back later.

I saw the original film The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo and thought it brilliant. Inspired me to read Stig Larssons trilogy and thought they were really good too. The subsequent films played with fire and Hornets nest were not as good and I think were rushed out to make money on the back of the original. The Daniel Craig version of the Dragon Tattoo was surprisingly good as well.

Be interested to what you have to say @JiMMy 85 about the Spiders Web. Might well venture out to see this one.

• JiMMy 85 said:

Going to see The Girl in the Spider's Web tonight. I don't remember much about Fincher's Dragon Tattoo, and haven't read the books or seen the Swedish movies, so it will be interesting to see if I have the remotest idea what's going on.

I saw the original film The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo and thought it brilliant. Inspired me to read Stig Larssons trilogy and thought they were really good too. The subsequent films played with fire and Hornets nest were not as good and I think were rushed out to make money on the back of the original. The Daniel Craig version of the Dragon Tattoo was surprisingly good as well.

Be interested to what you have to say @JiMMy 85 about the Spiders Web. Might well venture out to see this one.

Ditto, SHG.

I'm pretty sure this one has been discussed before but a heads up for Headhunters ( based on the Jo Nesbo book) that's on BBC2 at 11.30pm on Sunday. I'll definitely watch it again.

However, those making the trip to Mansfield the following day will no doubt be in the land of nod by then....
  • Reference Bohemian Rhapsody: yes agree comments about the Mick Jagger mannerisms early in the film. Thought the film was a little safe but then it was overseen by the two people who fiercely protect the Queen legacy. The last 20 mins were full of chronological nonsense but saved by the brilliant replay - move for move - of that unforgettable July afternoon when Freddie stole Live Aid.
  • Bad Times at the El Royale

A group of strangers meet up at a rundown hotel with a dark past and the secrets of the characters unfold as the film progresses. Set in the late 60s it's a Tarantino style film and it captures the feel of the time.

Cast includes Jeff Bridges, Dakota Johnson and a British actress Cynthia Eviro who seems to be developing a high profile in the US.

Not the most original but very watchable. 7/10

Really enjoyed the movie, big Jeff Bridges fan. Cynthia Eviro was excellent and what a voice. I agree with @hoof_it_up_to_benty not overly original but a really good watch. My missus also loved the fact Chris Hemsworth spent most of the time with his top off. Despite that I’d give it 8/10
  • Apparently Watership Down has been remade as a TV series being shown this Christmas.
  • edited November 2018
    The Girl In The Spider’s Web

I’ll preface this by saying that I’ve never read the books, I’ve only seen the Fincher movie, which I don’t remember very well. Also, I’m horrendously arachnophobic. The latter point is less of an issue, the spiders in this movie are spindly and they don’t bother me for some reason.

I remember the Dragon Tattoo movie being a character piece against the backdrop of a complex conspiracy of some sort. This sequel requires little to no knowledge of that movie, mostly thanks to the fairly obvious lines of exposition, delivered when required.

The plot is designed in a way that’s beginning to make me cynical of modern blockbusters. I don’t know if it’s the way movies are written nowadays, or if it’s experience. Everything is tied up a little too nicely. Either way, there’s little mystery here. Maybe one character takes a turn I didn’t expect, he’s a sub-plot kinda guy anyway. He's also capable of homing in on clues to a ludicrous degree. There are a few contrivances that are hard to ignore.

The biggest criticism i have is reserved for Lisbeth. Nicely played by Claire Foy, although the character has depth, she’s become a female Jason Bourne. The shit she pulls off here is ridiculous. Her knowledge of airport security and the mechanics of vertical lift bridges is overplayed.

Still, it's a slick Hollywood thriller (it's shot beautifully, plenty of snow and silhouettes). The audience is not asked to figure anything out but it is perfectly entertaining - I have to say I enjoyed it and on the bright side, it's a good movie for strong female characters who call the shots.

I just expected something a bit more challenging from the franchise. It’ll make more money than the last one, it just won't stand out as anything more than a blockbuster thriller.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

The Girl In The Spider’s Web

I’ll preface this by saying that I’ve never read the books, I’ve only seen the Fincher movie, which I don’t remember very well. Also, I’m horrendously arachnophobic. The latter point is less of an issue, the spiders in this movie are spindly and they don’t bother me for some reason.

I remember the Dragon Tattoo movie being a character piece against the backdrop of a complex conspiracy of some sort. This sequel requires little to no knowledge of that movie, mostly thanks to the fairly obvious lines of exposition, delivered when required.

The plot is designed in a way that’s beginning to make me cynical of modern blockbusters. I don’t know if it’s the way movies are written nowadays, or if it’s experience. Everything is tied up a little too nicely. Either way, there’s little mystery here. Maybe one character takes a turn I didn’t expect, he’s a sub-plot kinda guy anyway. He's also capable of homing in on clues to a ludicrous degree. There are a few contrivances that are hard to ignore.

The biggest criticism i have is reserved for Lisbeth. Nicely played by Claire Foy, although the character has depth, she’s become a female Jason Bourne. The shit she pulls off here is ridiculous. Her knowledge of airport security and the mechanics of vertical lift bridges is overplayed.

Still, it's a slick Hollywood thriller (it's shot beautifully, plenty of snow and silhouettes). The audience is not asked to figure anything out but it is perfectly entertaining - I have to say I enjoyed it and on the bright side, it's a good movie for strong female characters who call the shots.

I just expected something a bit more challenging from the franchise. It’ll make more money than the last one, it just won't stand out as anything more than a blockbuster thriller.

Jimmy, I seem to remember reading on a thread that you're involved in the film industry. May I ask in what way?
  • Only on the periphery, @captainbob. Used to work in marketing/ press/ editorial. Now I just do reviews and press junkets on the side. Not much money in it, sadly. Too many people are happy to do it for free!

@supaclive is your industry man on here.
  • Widows. Enjoyed this and would recommend. But wouldn't say it's a 'good' film. There were a couple of things I was left questioning and a number of promising areas not explored further, but overall i thought for such an ambitious film, plot wise, it was captivating, and i was impressed.
    As an aside, busy, noisy cinema (cineworld, 02). I would ban popcorn etc at a stroke. Think next time I should go a good while after a release date and avoid the late Saturday showing!
  • Seeing it tonight mainly just because I haven't been to a film for ages.
    No popcorn for me though, just four tubes of pringles and a bag of crinkly wrapped sweets.