Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Not new but saw Big Eyes the other day - fantastic film & a true story to boot. Christopher Waltz gives a brilliant performance as per usual
  • Yes. my family literally had to drag me to see the lego movie - the name alone was a sinker. But I loved it from end to end. Clever, funny and great plot. I loved Batman, and that freaky Princess kitty character. It'll be a hard act to follow though...
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Saw Fantastic Beasts 2 tonight. I’m finding it really hard to explain why it’s so bloody awful. It looks good, has the right ingredients to be a solid franchise movie. And I agree with @LonelyNorthernAddick that there are some great characters... but I think there are too many of them. I think that’s the root of it’s problems.

There are so many subplots that there’s no drive to what’s happening. The pacing is awful. Sometimes characters just appear in new settings and I didn’t know how or why they got there. And they introduce new people right up to the final act, while others disappear for long stints.

And LNA is absolutely right about character turns that don’t make sense. Because there are so many of them, there isn’t enough time to convincingly sell their changes. Newt doesn’t even have an arc, he’s only just the lead character. Johnny Depp just kills time without furthering the story much until the end.

It’s awful, awful storytelling and I’d be really interested to know whose fault that is.

2/5

Hard to give a character an arc when they're basically Jesus with a touch of autism, his characters too perfect, really bugs me for some reason! Think some people love films like this without thinking on it too much because they're super fans of the larger world - Some of the character developments just bemused me.
  • Trailer released for Lion King live action remake

https://youtu.be/4CbLXeGSDxg
  • TELTEL
    edited November 2018
    Bohemian Rhapsody. Not a great film, but not a bad film....took me back to my teenage years quite nicely though, the music...well that spoke for itself. Freddie did come across as being a lonely soul though so well played. Im giving it 7/10 echo what other said too...it did make me feel pretty emotional at the end
  • Ant Man and the Wasp. Watched it on the plane and it did make me laugh...then watched it again on a decent sized screen the other night....if you like Marvel, you cant help but like this. 7/10
  • Sicario 2...bleh, not a patch on the first film which was excellent. 5.5/10
  • Just watched The Greatest Showman. Absolutely loved it.
  • WILDLIFE

Low key film about a family in crisis starring Carey Mulligan and Jake Gyllenhaal set in smalltown 1960s America. The film is seen from their son's viewpoint - played by Ed Oxenbould who gives an excellent performance.

A very melancholy film that captures the atmosphere of the time. 7/10
  • Patrick

We plumped for this yesterday ahead of a quiet place and jigsaw. I'm glad we did, they looked like they would make my arse open.

It's a charming film, it passes the 6 laugh test that Mark Kermode bangs on about. There is never a real sense of jeopardy but I didn't mind that. The lead actress is Jennifer Saunders and Are Edmonsons daughter and she has impeccable comedic timing and carries the film really well. Tom Bennett also stars and he can't appear in anything without taking me back to the episode of phone shop with the space cakes that made me properly laugh. The real star is the ugly little Pug called Patrick who excels at making bad decisions and generally being badly behaved.

The film is full of famous faces of British acting and even Ed Skrien has grown hair for his role as a womanizing vet.

The other star is Richmond Park which features pretty heavily.

It's a harmless film and isn't what I'd normally go for but we both liked it some genuinely funny moments
  • Sponsored links:

• The Christmas Chronicles...

Finally a new Christmas movie that made me smile. Plenty of classics and this deserves to be up there. Childish, fun and Kurt Russell, what more is needed.
  • I caught 'Son of Bigfoot' on cable on friday night. We nearly saw it at the cinema when it was released and I'm happy we found something else as it is dire. Bizarrely, one of the most notable deficiencies is the soundtrack - some of the songs stick out by being so awfull and I can't think of another film I've seen where the music was merely a background element, but so horribly intrusive. The dialogue seemed to have been written by people with a basic grasp of English but no real understanding, and no comedy. Alongside that, the storyline was merely a silly sideshow. I sort of recommend you take a look - ageing hippies may find the music entertaining.
    3/10
  • WILDLIFE

Low key film about a family in crisis starring Carey Mulligan and Jake Gyllenhaal set in smalltown 1960s America. The film is seen from their son's viewpoint - played by Ed Oxenbould who gives an excellent performance.

My film @hoof_it_up_to_benty

Glad you liked. Small but Carey Mulligan is outstanding!
  • supaclive said:

WILDLIFE

It was difficult to watch in places but what made it work was seeing it from the viewpoint of the son. Carey Mulligan showed a woman on the edge who finds a way to keep afloat.
  • supaclive said:

WILDLIFE

Carey Mulligan is a seriously good actress.
  • Dazzler21 said:

The Christmas Chronicles...

Finally a new Christmas movie that made me smile. Plenty of classics and this deserves to be up there. Childish, fun and Kurt Russell, what more is needed.

I'm not a massive Christmas fan, but this does look really good. Glad its paid off. Couple girls in my office already watched it and really liked it.
  • Shoplifters, beautiful film
  • The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Six unrelated stories, told with typical quirkiness. It's exactly what you'd expect a Coen bros. western to be like. Funny, dark, surprising, haunting, gripping. I didn't get distracted at all, at least until the end (the final story is very much a Coen curveball) as the stories zip along and have some brilliant visuals and dialogue ("Pan shot!" / "First time?").

I was surprised that none of the stories connected, I thought something would tie them together. But that's not a criticism. A lack of female characters is probably the only mis-step in an otherwise brilliant film, and by far the best movie Netflix have yet produced.

5/5
  • JiMMy 85 said:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Six unrelated stories, told with typical quirkiness. It's exactly what you'd expect a Coen bros. western to be like. Funny, dark, surprising, haunting, gripping. I didn't get distracted at all, at least until the end (the final story is very much a Coen curveball) as the stories zip along and have some brilliant visuals and dialogue ("Pan shot!" / "First time?").

I was surprised that none of the stories connected, I thought something would tie them together. But that's not a criticism. A lack of female characters is probably the only mis-step in an otherwise brilliant film, and by far the best movie Netflix have yet produced.

5/5

I've had this sat in my list for a few days. I trust your judgement on films and will be watching tonight
  • kimbo said:

Shoplifters, beautiful film

Hoping to see this.
  • Sponsored links:

• kimbo said:

Hoping to see this.
    Absolutely on my list as well - Koreeda's films about families are unsurpassed. He also gets great performances out of children.
  • Carter said:

JiMMy 85 said:

5/5

I've had this sat in my list for a few days. I trust your judgement on films and will be watching tonight
    Let us know what you think!
  • kimbo said:

Just seen this - a very moving film about a dysfunctional 'family' struggling in Modern Japan. Not the image of Japan you'd normally expect.
  • Took my daughter to see Nativity Rocks last night at Bluewater. Not bad but nowhere near as good as the first couple. Doesn't have the original Mr Poppy in it and whilst the guy playing his brother is ok, he was really just doing a poor impression of him throughout.

My daughter loved it though, which I suppose is the target audience (not a bored, hungry 50 year old who was impatiently looking forward to his dinner)

We were the only 2 people in the cinema though
  • We've done bugger all today, my home improvement task of fitting a new outside light has been postponed due to poor weather and a lack of being bothered

We've watched 2 films.

Greatest Showman

I hate musicals as a rule, I don't trust people who like them and I can't stand the illogical nature of bursting into song.

However this film was an absolute treat, Hugh Jackman is hard to dislike and the cast as a whole were excellent. I'm saying this as someone who does not like musicals, it was fantastic. I now know where the 'look out here I cooooome' song that is played on every commercial radio station throughout the day came from and I loved the bearded woman who sang it. I thoroughly recommend this film, suitable for everyone.

Jurassic Park

This was my choice, the cgi blew my mind. Chris Pratt is a great lead and Rafe Spall is a suitably shitty baddie. Bryce Dallas Howard I don't warm to though and she is just scenery here. The dinosaurs are the real stars and the lubatic indo raptor killing machine put in a stern show as did the chaotic headbutter dinosaur.

Nothing ground breaking and the detail about the little girl was pretty rushed and if you had switched off you would have missed quite a major detail in my book but it was rushed and made to feel like a inconsequential sub-plot when in fact it was big shakes

Greatest Showman 9/10
    Jurassic Park 6/10 (dinosaurs 10/10)

• JiMMy 85 said:

5/5

Saw this as well. I liked it but did not love it. I am the only person I know who seems to not like the opening story with Buster.

But the story of the gold prospector played by Tom Waits has me on the edge of my seat and I could have watched a whole movie about just his character.

4/5
  • Watched Tully yesterday. Great film . Very clever twist and and some superb acting from Charleze Theron
  • Carter said:

We've done bugger all today, my home improvement task of fitting a new outside light has been postponed due to poor weather and a lack of being bothered

We've watched 2 films.

Greatest Showman

I hate musicals as a rule, I don't trust people who like them and I can't stand the illogical nature of bursting into song.

However this film was an absolute treat, Hugh Jackman is hard to dislike and the cast as a whole were excellent. I'm saying this as someone who does not like musicals, it was fantastic. I now know where the 'look out here I cooooome' song that is played on every commercial radio station throughout the day came from and I loved the bearded woman who sang it. I thoroughly recommend this film, suitable for everyone.

Jurassic Park

This was my choice, the cgi blew my mind. Chris Pratt is a great lead and Rafe Spall is a suitably shitty baddie. Bryce Dallas Howard I don't warm to though and she is just scenery here. The dinosaurs are the real stars and the lubatic indo raptor killing machine put in a stern show as did the chaotic headbutter dinosaur.

Nothing ground breaking and the detail about the little girl was pretty rushed and if you had switched off you would have missed quite a major detail in my book but it was rushed and made to feel like a inconsequential sub-plot when in fact it was big shakes

Greatest Showman 9/10
    Jurassic Park 6/10 (dinosaurs 10/10)

Im the same with musicals mate but my little girls had me watch The Greatest Showman 3 times this week and I’ve loved every minute of it.
  • Caught the Grinch yesterday - my daughter dragged me to see Bohemian Rhapsody for a third time on sunday and it's still wonderfull. The Grinch on the other hand seemed aimed very precisely at an age group between around 4 and 9 years. I found myself falling asleep for the tail end, and it's really no more than the film deserved. There was a short film featuring the minions before the main feature, which was funnier during its five minutes than the Grinch was throughout. And I'd add if you've seen the Jim Carey version, there is no point in seeing this.
    Wreck it Ralph II (breaks the internet) is out here on thursday - if it can match the highs of the first one it will do well. But I doubt it will be worse than the Grinch.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

5/5

Saw this as well. I liked it but did not love it. I am the only person I know who seems to not like the opening story with Buster.

But the story of the gold prospector played by Tom Waits has me on the edge of my seat and I could have watched a whole movie about just his character.

4/5
    Buster Scruggs - 4/5

I'm not a huge Coen Bros fan, but I found the concept of this interesting. Was not a fan of the opening tale like you Napa, but the gold prospector and the Wagon Convoy were both brilliant I thought, and the last story gave you a lot to think about. Very dark at times, especially with the "Meal Ticket" story. Enjoyable but wouldn't watch again. I kept thinking I saw links though not sure if I was imagining them if i'm honest.