Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• JiMMy 85 said:

Finally watched The Shape of Water. Not terrible but how that won best picture I'll never know. Del Toro is definitely overrated

THE worst film ever to win best picture in my opinion.
    Million Dollar Baby for me. Then Crash and Shakespeare In Love (ahead of Saving Private Ryan!).

I thought Crash was surprisingly good.... Shakespeare in Love though was indeed very average.
  • edited January 2019

JiMMy 85 said:

Finally watched The Shape of Water. Not terrible but how that won best picture I'll never know. Del Toro is definitely overrated

Million Dollar Baby for me. Then Crash and Shakespeare In Love (ahead of Saving Private Ryan!).

I thought Crash was surprisingly good.... Shakespeare in Love though was indeed very average.
    It must be my age, but I'm shocked that no-one mentions Forrest Gump or in Titanic in such illustrious company.

By no means the best films of the year, and, in the case of Titanic, utter shite.

But, then again, I'm a miserable oul fecker.

[Edit. I've only dipped in for the first time in a while, and apologise if I've missed anyone rightly slagging the two off....]
  • TEL said:

Watched First Man at home last Sunday. I didn't know Armstrong was such a private/reserved person. The film was quite sad, and the score notably so too. Very different from other traditional space hero films. But I think it is a good film. 8/10. (Much better than La La Land which I thought was simple and over-rated.)

Very sombre film but well acted 6.5/10
    Yep my dad watched it with me and said it was too somber.
    I thought it was excellent - the sombre mood reflected Armstrong's personality. It got across the danger and claustrophobia of space travel better than any film I've seen.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

It must be my age, but I'm shocked that no-one mentions Forrest Gump or in Titanic in such illustrious company.

By no means the best films of the year, and, in the case of Titanic, utter shite.

[Edit. I've only dipped in for the first time in a while, and apologise if I've missed anyone rightly slagging the two off....]
    I was only 10, 11 when I saw Titanic in the cinema. I must say I loved it. I haven't watched it again since. I'm not sure if I'd like it now. :joy: But I play the soundtrack sometimes.

Not a fan of Forest Gump either.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I was only 10, 11 when I saw Titanic in the cinema. I must say I loved it. I haven't watched it again since. I'm not sure if I'd like it now. :joy: But I play the soundtrack sometimes.

Oh you just had to rub in the fact that you're a young person, didn't you!!!!

I now feel ancient.

Mostly because I am, obviously...

Which is a good thing, as it gives me an excuse for my afternoon naps.
  • Thought the script for Shakespeare in Love was superb. I'd have to look at other films out that year to see if I liked them more.

Despised Titanic. It's the kind of film I think should be an ensemble piece. The Billy Zane, psycho boyfriend, plot really turned me off. In fact I thought it showed a real lack of respect.
  • Yeah, but the psycho husband/scientist in The Shape of Water was also disrespectful to loopy people who torture aliens. Thought the film was okay, but if that was the film of the year, it must have been a bad year for film makers.
  • Because life is like a box of chocolates
  • Because life is like a box of chocolates

Hmmmm... do you have a picture guide telling you what to expect in the near future?
  • Sponsored links:

• How can anyone dislike Forest Gump?!!

It's got some right wing undercurrents going on. I mean, look what happens to the hippy!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Because life is like a box of chocolates

Hmmmm... do you have a picture guide telling you what to expect in the near future?
    No, you get to pick which chocolates are in the box.
  • Laurel and Hardy opening soon. Can't wait.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I now feel ancient.

Haha I need naps during lunch break too! :wink:
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I now feel ancient.

Haha I need naps during lunch break too! :wink:
    Ermmm, I, at least, can claim rapidly advancing decrepitude in my defence. :blush:

Oh, and lunchtime is far too precious to use up in sleep, what with that whole afternoon ahead of me. :tongue:

Speaking as a dedicated Civil Servant.
  • Bird Box - 7.5/10 - Thriller
    Interesting one if you strip it down it isn't the greatest script or doesn't really make you want to watch it. Think its along the same lines as quiet place, kind of predictable too. That said i did enjoy it, with a few clever twists and the acting was very good imo. Worth a watch but wont blow you away.

Interesting one if you strip it down it isn't the greatest script or doesn't really make you want to watch it. Think its along the same lines as quiet place, kind of predictable too. That said i did enjoy it, with a few clever twists and the acting was very good imo. Worth a watch but wont blow you away.

What a world we live in.

What a world we live in.

Haven't seen any memes/ or trends. What are people doing?

What a world we live in.

I wouldn’t put it past people driving blindfolded
  • Game Night-7.5/10 Comedy/action

Watched probably a month ago but not seen a review on here. Good cast, funny all the way through and very easy to watch.
    All very far fetched and predictable, but still decent and funny
  • Sponsored links:

What a world we live in.

I wouldn’t put it past people driving blindfolded
    Wouldn't surprise me if they have been doing this for year some of the people on the roads :wink:
  • Tully Genre Unknown / Possibly comedy? 5/10

Probably being generous here, not even sure why i bothered watching it but save yourself its not really worth it at all.

Story about a new mother, who is struggling to cope with life and has another younger child who is difficult so hires a nanny. They bond, life gets better then its sort of pitters out really, not really sure what they were aiming for.

Sorry got to disagree, imo it was an appalling film, started well enough, but ended up farcical. Another take on a Zombie film, pelt!
    Just spend 2 hours staring at a lamp post instead, its more rewarding. 1/10
  • edited January 2019

Tully Genre Unknown / Possibly comedy? 5/10

Probably being generous here, not even sure why i bothered watching it but save yourself its not really worth it at all.

Story about a new mother, who is struggling to cope with life and has another younger child who is difficult so hires a nanny. They bond, life gets better then its sort of pitters out really, not really sure what they were aiming for.

I loved it . Great twist that I never saw coming .It’s strange how opinions differ so much .
  • Greenie said:

Bird Box - 7.5/10 - Thriller

Sorry got to disagree, imo it was an appalling film, started well enough, but ended up farcical. Another take on a Zombie film, pelt!
    Agree completely. Absolute shite. A Queit Place was much better.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Agree completely. Absolute shite. A Queit Place was much better.
    Cant really disagree, its all about opinions. On the face of it i wasn't overly impressed but then after it went up in my views. looking back i do think its ok but just dragged out, i am contradicting myself but its very split between awful and not bad. The beginning (no spoiler) but the start made it seem like it was going to be amazing but then sort of went slow from there.

Re: Quiet place, i have only watched when i was drunk once and didnt really watch as was round someones house, will need to watch again or properly.

@Bedsaddick very true, i watched it all just really not impressed. Think someone who has been in that position (Mum/Depression) might have related to it more, but other than that i didn't really think much of it.

Watched probably a month ago but not seen a review on here. Good cast, funny all the way through and very easy to watch.

Big fan of Kyle Chandler so watched it several months ago. Some dialogues were quite funny but overall not my cup of tea. 6/10

Watched it on the plane in the Summer - Was glad I had nothing better to do at the time as I thought it was poor.

Watched it on the plane in the Summer - Was glad I had nothing better to do at the time as I thought it was poor.
    Think i need to go back to the drawing board on my ratings :( above average 3/5 :wink:

To be fair i have been told my film taste/ music is shocking
  • To be fair, it started well enough, just got totally ridiculous as it went on.