Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:

iainment said:

IdleHans said:

The Favourite
    Thought this was extremely entertaining - bawdy, witty, full of arch humour. It made me laugh out loud numerous times. The three leads were superb, with a great supporting cast. The sets were sumptuous, and though the plot was pretty straightforward, it was two hours very well spent. Highly recommended. 8/10.

The dance scene was quite bizarre though.
    You could argue that the whole thing was a bit bizarre - that director's not exactly known for mainstream films, though this one will have much wider appeal than his last couple (both of which I enjoyed, but nowhere near as much as this).
    Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The dance scene does stand out as being very much not of its time but that was, I heard, the director's intention.

The three central performances are great but Olivia's isn't as stand out "That's the Oscar right there" as Cate Blanchett's was in Blue Jasmine.

The duck racing was originally going to be cock fighting but they were told they couldn't even simulate the latter so swapped it for the former. This resulted in a great line being cut: "Gentlemen, shall we get our cocks out?".
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

FIRST MAN

Finally got to a screening of First Man. So glad I managed to see it on a cinema screen, but regret missing it on IMAX. I’m a sucker for Damien Chazelle’s stuff (La La Land notwithstanding).

I was really impressed by how personal it was. Not only in the way Chazelle avoided the fanfare and American histrionics, but how it didn’t feel like we’re watching legends as much as young men living on the edge of death.

Couldn’t help but notice there were lots of close ups, very few establishing or mid-shots. It was as claustrophobic on Earth as it was in space. The performances were subtle, understated - like much of the film - and even though it had to be underpinned by multiple flights, it didn’t get repetitive. The music - especially on the landing - was especially notable. Downloaded the soundtrack as soon as I got out!

Interesting that space was depicted as a black void with no stars. It was shot as though it was filmed in the 60s, I suppose the minimilism and blackness was a part of that, as well as making it more like a void.

An utterly fantastic piece of filmmaking, I haven’t been as blown away by a film in a long time. I can’t wait to see what Chazelle does next.

7/7.

Best review I've scene of this film.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

FIRST MAN

Finally got to a screening of First Man. So glad I managed to see it on a cinema screen, but regret missing it on IMAX. I’m a sucker for Damien Chazelle’s stuff (La La Land notwithstanding).

I was really impressed by how personal it was. Not only in the way Chazelle avoided the fanfare and American histrionics, but how it didn’t feel like we’re watching legends as much as young men living on the edge of death.

Couldn’t help but notice there were lots of close ups, very few establishing or mid-shots. It was as claustrophobic on Earth as it was in space. The performances were subtle, understated - like much of the film - and even though it had to be underpinned by multiple flights, it didn’t get repetitive. The music - especially on the landing - was especially notable. Downloaded the soundtrack as soon as I got out!

Interesting that space was depicted as a black void with no stars. It was shot as though it was filmed in the 60s, I suppose the minimilism and blackness was a part of that, as well as making it more like a void.

An utterly fantastic piece of filmmaking, I haven’t been as blown away by a film in a long time. I can’t wait to see what Chazelle does next.

7/7.

The soundtrack is great! It stayed in my head for a long time after I watched the film.

I don't get your ratings though :joy: what is 7/7? And 4/6?
    I'm not a fan of ratings but why do they have to be out of 5 or 10? If JiMMy wants to do his out of 7 or 6, more power to JiMMy, I say. (Can't get The Undertones out of my head now - https://www.megalyrics.net/the-undertones/jimmy-jimmy).
  • Options
    Nadou said:

Some people think it is slow and long but I loved every minute of ROMA.

It is very slow but it certainly didn't drag. It's an excellent film showing a story from a perspective you don't normally see. A simple story showing the challenges faced by many.

The film will have a limited appeal because of its pacing and the way its filmed - I loved it.
  • Options
    Anybody seen Laurel and Hardy yet?
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:

Went and see Stan and Ollie tonight ... having been bought up watching their films - my late father favourites - bought back some great memories while watching it - superb story and brilliant portrayal of them both ...superb acting -

IdleHans said:

The Favourite
    Thought this was extremely entertaining - bawdy, witty, full of arch humour. It made me laugh out loud numerous times. The three leads were superb, with a great supporting cast. The sets were sumptuous, and though the plot was pretty straightforward, it was two hours very well spent. Highly recommended. 8/10.

Hopefully seeing Stan and Ollie on Tuesday and The Favourite on Wednesday. The joys of retirement!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Yes, Stan and Ollie - I got the wrong title. I have seen good reviews and it sounds like the film does justice to two comic geniuses. IMO the greatest. Maybe I will persuade my wife to go with me tomorrow.
  • Options

Yes, Stan and Ollie - I got the wrong title. I have seen good reviews and it sounds like the film does justice to two comic geniuses. IMO the greatest. Maybe I will persuade my wife to go with me tomorrow.

Just on in from seeing in, very good film and the actual portrale of them both is spot on. If you liked Laurel and Hardy then you'll love the film and even if you didn't it's still a good old fashioned type film anyway, worth going to see.
  • Options

The best double act ever. Abbott and Costello have their moments, particularly the Limburger cheese and Who's on first base sketches, but their body of work is filled with a lot of dross. Morecambe and Wise were peerless on the telly but their films are poor or even worse. The only one who came close to them when they were in the comic heyday was Buster Keaton.

I'm very much looking forward to this film.
  • Options

The best double act ever. Abbott and Costello have their moments, particularly the Limburger cheese and Who's on first base sketches, but their body of work is filled with a lot of dross. Morecambe and Wise were peerless on the telly but their films are poor or even worse. The only one who came close to them when they were in the comic heyday was Buster Keaton.

I'm very much looking forward to this film.
    You won't be disappointed, the actor's portrale of them is brilliant!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

IdleHans said:

iainment said:

IdleHans said:

The Favourite

The dance scene was quite bizarre though.
    You could argue that the whole thing was a bit bizarre - that director's not exactly known for mainstream films, though this one will have much wider appeal than his last couple (both of which I enjoyed, but nowhere near as much as this).
    Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The dance scene does stand out as being very much not of its time but that was, I heard, the director's intention.

The three central performances are great but Olivia's isn't as stand out "That's the Oscar right there" as Cate Blanchett's was in Blue Jasmine.

The duck racing was originally going to be cock fighting but they were told they couldn't even simulate the latter so swapped it for the former. This resulted in a great line being cut: "Gentlemen, shall we get our cocks out?".
    Just seen this - very entertaining and funny. I liked the way it was shot and lit - the main leads were good especially Olivia Colman.

8/10
  • Options
    Really enjoyed Stan and Ollie - Coogan and Reilly are perfectly cast, successfully conveying the warmth Stan and Ollie clearly felt for each other despite their falling out and nailing their routines. And their wives are given decent roles too, getting a good number of laughs and adding a new dimension to their relationship. It's quite gently paced, but then I prefer that sort of film.
  • Options
    Had me gripped throughout. Two great lead performances. I can't recall better.
  • Options
    Great post @captainbob
  • Options
    Saw Shoplifters last week and very impressed. Poses questions about family life, but at no time felt heavy, and so well acted, especially the 2 child actors. Curzon and Prince Charles only now i think, in London.
  • Options
    Saw Bumblebee on Saturday with the kids.

Good fun
  • Options
    Mary Poppins Returns
    I caught the Simpsons versión of Mary poppins while working in a hotel one christmas - it had me and the receptionist in stitches. It's way way better than the new Disney film. End to end forgettable songs (song 2 - My wife is dead, and song 12 - Why is my cousin a twat?, are two that stand out). For me Disney are on a real slide lately. Ralph wrecks the Internet and the new Mary Poppins both got good reviews generally, and are hugely overrated in my opinión. Essentially, the film is overlong, and tries to make up for it's lack of plot by including every song the director considered using, regardless of quality. I checked with my daughters on the way out, and they bothcited boredom as a reason they didn't like it. We have a new Dumbo to look forward to this year, but I'll be giving that a swerve, and later on it'll be interesting to see what Frozen 2 comes out like, but at the minute, I'll be avoiding anything new Disney provide. This really wasn't very good at all.
    4/10
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Saw Bumblebee on Saturday with the kids.

Good fun

Saw it with my daughter - enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Watched Birdbox on Friday, as others have said, pretty average really. Good ideas, not completely fleshed out, had some promise, not very tense either. Think I will have to watch A Quiet Place now as my flatmate was raving about how good it was, especially in comparison with Birdbox.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry to Bother You

This is the satire from Boots Riley, the rapper, avowed communist and activist, about a young black guy who deploys his ‘white voice’ to succeed in telesales. An interesting premise and there were some amusing scenes in the film. For me, however, its second half became just a little too preposterous - 6/10
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Blucher said:

Sorry to Bother You

This is the satire from Boots Riley, the rapper, avowed communist and activist, about a young black guy who deploys his ‘white voice’ to succeed in telesales. An interesting premise and there were some amusing scenes in the film. For me, however, its second half became just a little too preposterous - 6/10

6 is generous . I like Lakieth Stanfield but this did nothing for me .
  • Options

Blucher said:

Sorry to Bother You

6 is generous . I like Lakieth Stanfield but this did nothing for me .
    Saw this as well - film lost its way at the end.
  • Options
    The Front Runner
    Film documenting the downfall of Senator Gary Hart who tried to stand as the Democratic presidential candidate in 1988. His campaign was derailed when allegations of an affair surfaced in the press - Hugh Jackman plays the evasive Hart and its an interesting insight into the background of a campaign 7/10
  • Options
    Ghost Stories on Netflix is decent. Paul Whitehouse and Martin Freeman with cameos. Worth a watch although could have been executed better. 7/10
  • Options
    Just in from The Favourite. Not sure what I expected and not sure it was at all what I expected!

Plot very thin. Strong use of music. All a bit of a luvvie film by luvvies for luvvies. Not sure the warning of "Strong sex" was quite necessary - when all it amounted to was a leg rub! Excellent acting - quite a performance by Olivia channelling her inner Timothy Spall.

Now just catching up with the fact that it seems to be reasonably accurate historically.

We're a funny old bunch, aren't we?
  • Options

Just in from The Favourite. Not sure what I expected and not sure it was at all what I expected!

Plot very thin. Strong use of music. All a bit of a luvvie film by luvvies for luvvies. Not sure the warning of "Strong sex" was quite necessary - when all it amounted to was a leg rub! Excellent acting - quite a performance by Olivia channelling her inner Timothy Spall.

Now just catching up with the fact that it seems to be reasonably accurate historically.

We're a funny old bunch, aren't we?

I forgot about the 'strong sex' warning, definitely seems prudish in hindsight.

I quite liked it, but thought it was actually his least funny film, despite being marketed, essentially, as a comedy.

• Options
    Aquaman

I had three hours to kill. This made it feel like I’d wasted four or five hours of my life, so I was pretty disappointed to come out and find I still had an hour to spare.

It’s not Batman & Robin bad. Or even the worst of the DC crop. It’s just a nonsensical CGI eye-fuck with a plot that didn’t engage me on any level. That the lead character is the comic relief doesn’t help. I hated it, but understand why people like it - it’s not incompetently bad, and teenagers will get a good bit of popcorn fun out of it. I just don’t want to watch another second of it.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Aquaman

I had three hours to kill. This made it feel like I’d wasted four or five hours of my life, so I was pretty disappointed to come out and find I still had an hour to spare.

It’s not Batman & Robin bad. Or even the worst of the DC crop. It’s just a nonsensical CGI eye-fuck with a plot that didn’t engage me on any level. That the lead character is the comic relief doesn’t help. I hated it, but understand why people like it - it’s not incompetently bad, and teenagers will get a good bit of popcorn fun out of it. I just don’t want to watch another second of it.

Just as I suspected. Jimmy suffers so others don’t have to !