Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

Fyre festival docufilm on Netflix.
    Half way through it. In this digital age there must be a fair few chancers out there like this bloke

Nuts isn’t it. Quite how Ja Rule avoided any punishment is beyond me? It!was the obscene amounts of money being branded about that is incredible.
  • Options

Half way through it. In this digital age there must be a fair few chancers out there like this bloke

Nuts isn’t it. Quite how Ja Rule avoided any punishment is beyond me? It!was the obscene amounts of money being branded about that is incredible.
    Yeah how the fuck did he slither out of it?

It also felt like there was a lot more to dig into with the main guy (Billy?). Are his parents rich? What about the link to Chuck Schumer?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    JiMMy 85 said:

Yeah how the fuck did he slither out of it?

It also felt like there was a lot more to dig into with the main guy (Billy?). Are his parents rich? What about the link to Chuck Schumer?
    I didn't get why everyone around him saw him as such a charismatic figure. If I wanted to find a gatekeeper to the world of high end luxury, I probably wouldn't trust a slobby-looking guy in a creased T-Shirt.
  • Options
    See what you mean. I think we didn’t get to see what he was like personally cos of the way the footage they had access to was cut. Seemed to be smiley, overly optimistic and positive and he presumably charmed people. There’s no escaping it - he’d have to be charming to pull off that degree of bullshit.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

See what you mean. I think we didn’t get to see what he was like personally cos of the way the footage they had access to was cut. Seemed to be smiley, overly optimistic and positive and he presumably charmed people. There’s no escaping it - he’d have to be charming to pull off that degree of bullshit.

Yeah, I suppose so. Though I think a lot of that crowd have this deep rooted belief in their own bullshit, as if they forgot they were lying in the first place. A bunch of Rasputin's staring into a big mirror and hypnotising themselves. A lot of enjoyable schadenfreude in the film, really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Based on this thread I watched Escape Room on Netflix. I now discover that there are three films released in the last couple of years with that exact same title, the one you guys were referring to has just come out - the one I saw came out in 2017.

Suffice to say, the one I watched was one of the worst films I have ever seen (I’m not even exaggerating) and I spent most of it thinking “what were those guys on Charlton Life talking about”!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    se9addick said:

Based on this thread I watched Escape Room on Netflix. I now discover that there are three films released in the last couple of years with that exact same title, the one you guys were referring to has just come out - the one I saw came out in 2017.

Suffice to say, the one I watched was one of the worst films I have ever seen (I’m not even exaggerating) and I spent most of it thinking “what were those guys on Charlton Life talking about”!

Must be the same one i watched last year lol awful

ESCAPE ROOM Trailer (2017) Horror Movie, this is the one i watched
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Lw_rcgQtiIE
  • Options

Just caught up with Bohemian Rhapsody tonight and I was blown away . If you sit and watch it and pick holes in it you don’t have a heart .
    It’s a wonderful film that deserves to win the Oscar ( but won’t ) and a fantastic leading performance from Rami Malek .
    10 out of 10

I honestly thought, aside from Rami Malek’s performance, Bohemian Rhapsody was pretty rubbish.

I won’t pick holes in it because I don’t want to appear heartless, but I think a film about Freddie Mercury (his beginnings etc) might be more interesting than a story about Queen that clearly had a lot of influence from Bryan May (that way we’ll be saved from the story of the writing of “We Will Rock You” being given the same amount of time as the writing of Bohemian Rhapsody”).
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Just caught up with Bohemian Rhapsody tonight and I was blown away . If you sit and watch it and pick holes in it you don’t have a heart .
    It’s a wonderful film that deserves to win the Oscar ( but won’t ) and a fantastic leading performance from Rami Malek .
    10 out of 10

I honestly thought, aside from Rami Malek’s performance, Bohemian Rhapsody was pretty rubbish.

I won’t pick holes in it because I don’t want to appear heartless, but I think a film about Freddie Mercury (his beginnings etc) might be more interesting than a story about Queen that clearly had a lot of influence from Bryan May (that way we’ll be saved from the story of the writing of “We Will Rock You” being given the same amount of time as the writing of Bohemian Rhapsody”).
    I appreciate what you say but your wrong :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

10 out of 10

I disagree with what you are saying but will defend to the death your right to say it!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

10 out of 10

I disagree with what you are saying but will defend to the death your right to say it!
    I agree with what you’re saying, but I don’t think you have the right to say it.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Never trust a man that squints 99% of the time.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    My Generation, Michael Caine’s Netflix documentary, is well worth a watch.
  • Options
    Watched Open Range on prime last week. An modern but old fashioned western with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall.
    Really enjoyed it. A traditional style film with landowner vs cowmen in a small town, but engagingly done and with more characterisation than you might expect.
    Michael Gambon as the chief baddie has a painfully awful Irish American accent.
    A very solid 7.5.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

10 out of 10

Fantastic film. At one point my nine year old daughter turned round and whispered 'dad, what's bisexual?', to which I replied, 'do you remember when you were asking me about why Millwall fans are the way they are? Well…..'
  • Options
    Did anyone else catch Blindspotting? A character-based comedy/drama about a guy trying to get through his last three days of parole without incident, despite his hot-headed friends best efforts. I just saw it yesterday and thought it was excellent. It must not have had much of a marketing push over here, because I haven't heard anything about it from anyone, but I thought it was better than a lot of the best picture nominated films. Really recommend it.
  • Options
    Just watched BlacKkKlansman. Thought it was a little too long but overall quite interesting. Some parts were very funny. I didn't like the soundtrack though. 7.5/10
  • Options

Just watched BlacKkKlansman. Thought it was a little too long but overall quite interesting. Some parts were very funny. I didn't like the soundtrack though. 7.5/10

The final five minutes of that film are probably the most powerful cinema I’ve ever seen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw "A Quiet Place", on Sky yesterday, thought it was very good, much better than "Bird Box" with Sandra Bullock, which I didnt enjoy, although lots of film reviewers say they are similar, probably just me then.
  • Options
    RedJohn said:

Saw "A Quiet Place", on Sky yesterday, thought it was very good, much better than "Bird Box" with Sandra Bullock, which I didnt enjoy, although lots of film reviewers say they are similar, probably just me then.

No, it's not just you!
  • Options

Yes, Stan and Ollie - I got the wrong title. I have seen good reviews and it sounds like the film does justice to two comic geniuses. IMO the greatest. Maybe I will persuade my wife to go with me tomorrow.

The best double act ever. Abbott and Costello have their moments, particularly the Limburger cheese and Who's on first base sketches, but their body of work is filled with a lot of dross. Morecambe and Wise were peerless on the telly but their films are poor or even worse. The only one who came close to them when they were in the comic heyday was Buster Keaton.

I'm very much looking forward to this film.
    You won't be disappointed, the actor's portrale of them is brilliant!
    Indeed, I wasn't disappointed. It was at times like watching the real Stan and Ollie.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    se9addick said:

The final five minutes of that film are probably the most powerful cinema I’ve ever seen.
    There are so many similarities between the 70's and today, which is really sad. I thought Duke's lines 'America first' and 'Make America great again' were the screen writers' deliberate references to Trump until I just read that they were in fact what Duke himself had said back then! Trump was elected and is still supported by some of the American people so it just shows that their society is still deeply divided and racism is still a very serious problem there.
  • Options

Watched Birdbox on Friday, as others have said, pretty average really. Good ideas, not completely fleshed out, had some promise, not very tense either. Think I will have to watch A Quiet Place now as my flatmate was raving about how good it was, especially in comparison with Birdbox.

@LonelyNorthernAddick Hopefully you've watched A Quiet Place by now and really enjoyed it, especially the bit where she ***** on a ****.
  • Options
    The Favourite - What a strange little film. Not funny enough to be a comedy and as a historical movie it looks at everything through a 21st century lens (even a pointless fish-eye lens sometimes too). It's arch, modern and inaccurate (wtf was the dance at the ball about?!). It's more "Mean Girls" than "Dangerous Liasions" for sure. There's a good performance from Olivia Colman but even she can't save this film from being a generally irritating way to waste two hours.
  • Options

Watched Birdbox on Friday, as others have said, pretty average really. Good ideas, not completely fleshed out, had some promise, not very tense either. Think I will have to watch A Quiet Place now as my flatmate was raving about how good it was, especially in comparison with Birdbox.

@LonelyNorthernAddick Hopefully you've watched A Quiet Place by now and really enjoyed it, especially the bit where she ***** on a ****.
    Shits on a turtle 🐢 ?
  • Options
    About to see Destroyer......
  • Options
    TEL said:

Watched “A quiet place” last night. I enjoyed it. Very intense and stressful, which is down to good acting and great direction. 7.5/10

We've watched it finally today.

One of the best horror films I've seen, due to the setting a lot of the scares are from noises but brilliantly acted from krunt and a pretty un-Hollywood way of doing it

The scene with Emily blunt walking downstairs made my arsehole contract up to approximately my throat. I think visceral is the correct term