Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

Polar -

Watched this on Friday night, another Netflix special which had been recommended to me by a few mates, based on a graphic novel I believe and you could tell with a number of larger than life characters. The storyline is similar to the John Wick storylines in a way - an ex-hitman trying to retire and chaos ensues (No dogs were harmed thankfully). The scenes are pretty wacky and it took a bit of getting used to, if you aren't enjoying it within the first 15 minutes you may as well turn it off because it doesn't calm down. It has a pretty strong cast with Mads Mikkelson, Matt Lucas, and Katheryn Winnick. Overall found it pretty enjoyable although didn't leave a particularly lasting impact. 7/10

Just watched it and agree with your review. Although, spoiler alert, you might not be entirely accurate regarding the dog situation.
  • Options
    Watched Vice. Slightly disappointed. Similar style to The Big Short (which I absolutely enjoyed) but a little over-done I think. The film feels like a compilation of events without much insight/depth/analysis. There isn't much eye-opening information that I didn't already know or hadn't heard of. 7/10.
  • Options
    Watched a documentary-film on Netflix called ‘Abducted in Plain Sight’. For such a serious and sensitive subject, its one of the strangest stories I’ve ever heard. Worth a watch.
  • Options

Watched a documentary-film on Netflix called ‘Abducted in Plain Sight’. For such a serious and sensitive subject, its one of the strangest stories I’ve ever heard. Worth a watch.

Heard a lot about this, might have to give it a watch.
  • Options

Bob Mortimer mentioned this on his Ahletico Mince podcast today . I’ll check it out .
  • Options
    Also watched Abducted in Plain Sight. If it wasn't true you'd think it was far-fetched. Tough in places owing to the subject matter, but thought it was gripping. No real spoilers, but WTF with the parents!?!

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JamesSeed said:

Green Book . A wonderful film ( and a true story ) about a unique relationship between two very different people . Superb performance from Mahershala Ali and Vigi Mortensen and Quite rightly nominated for best picture .
    9 out of 10

I’ve seen all the films nominated now and for me it’s between Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody that should win best picture.

I don’t think Bohemian Rhopsody has the weight or depth to be a best picture winner. Could be wrong. Really liked the film btw.

That made me feel sick
    Give up! Have watched this 3 times now and cannot see the problem(s). What am i missing please?
    52 cuts in 82 seconds. Did it not give you a headache? Its 5 people sitting round a table talking. Not sure why there was the need for it and as the tweet says, i don't have the first clue about editing.
    Wait! I assumed that had been spoofed up to exaggerate the point. That's not really the finished article is it?
  • Options
    Finally watched A quiet place, i would put in a similar bracket as Birdbox 7/10 ( i know i rated bird box 7.5/10 but both probably 7's in hindsight). Kind of odd watching a whole movie with no sound, but it was good and worth the watch. All a bit odd in places but clever, dont think i would watch either again
  • Options
    Carter said:

Finally watched A quiet place, i would put in a similar bracket as Birdbox 7/10 ( i know i rated bird box 7.5/10 but both probably 7's in hindsight). Kind of odd watching a whole movie with no sound, but it was good and worth the watch. All a bit odd in places but clever, dont think i would watch either again

I thought birdbox was insultingly bad, style over substance sheeite

A quiet place I thought was excellent
    I didn't really take it too serious, went in unknown and didn't have A quiet place to compare too so it probably was totally different to anyone else. Not saying its a great film but i think peoples opinions can be based on comparing to something similar. I agree it was definitely dragged out a bit which probably makes it painful/ shit, good idea and good acting. Not one i would recommend still , like A quiet place (IMO)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched Green Book tonight and have to say i really enjoyed it. A very touching film, and almost frightening that life was like that in the US so relatively recently
  • Options
    Venom - good popcorn movie but not on a par with either Deadpool films ...
  • Options
    Can You Ever Forgive Me

A biographical drama about the impecunious biographer, Lee Israel (Melissa McCarthy) who, aided and abetted by her friend and drinking buddy, Jack (Richard E. Grant), became a serial forger of letters from deceased authors and playwrights. An interesting and unusual story, I found it humorous, well scripted and very well acted by the co-leads. Overall, an engaging and entertaining film - 8/10.
  • Options
    Cheers, @Blucher, got this one on my to watch list. Good to get a review from someone whose opinion I've found to be a reliable guide.
  • Options

Abducted in Plain Site - agree with others here definitely worth a watch. When the dad admitted his 'misdemeanors' I nearly spat my dinner out!

• Options
    TEL said:

hawksmoor said:

Also watched Abducted in Plain Sight. If it wasn't true you'd think it was far-fetched. Tough in places owing to the subject matter, but thought it was gripping. No real spoilers, but WTF with the parents!?!

I watched it last night. You really couldn't make this up could you? (Spoiler alert below)

Bizarre behaviour by just about everyone involved........The Mum and Dad both having separate sexual liaison's with the Pedo and the fact they would let a 12 year old girl go with a 40 year old bloke beggars belief....talk about the Family Gullible (or were they?).

I was also left late in the film with the feeling that they decided they could make a profit out of a really awful experience and ended up disliking all of them as much as the Pedo.
    Small town America in the 70’s, they didn’t know what a nonce was. The dad said looking back he can’t believe how gullible they were, but it was a different time. They were all still wrongens though.
  • Options
    Not film but:

Pinter at the Pinter. 
    Pinter 7

A Slight Ache / The Dumb Waiter (with Martin Freeman and Danny Dyer)

Really worth catching. 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Flew to Atlanta, 9 hour flight and watched 4 films. 

Colette. Hmmm was ok, think I dozed off to be honest. Not a fan of Kiera knightly and kept on thinking she was married to Jean Valjean! 

Bohemian Rhapsody. Enjoyed it. Obviously heard the hype and understand why. Got goosebumps at the end. 

Lala land. Haven’t seen it since it first came out and enjoyed it again although still sad for the ending. Love the unscripted style of their conversations and their chemistry. 

Can you ever forgive me? Enjoyed it. Great acting. Would recommend. It finished just as we came into land which was handy. 
  • Options
    Alita: Battle Angel

A Japanese comic book thing turned into a Hollywood movie. I thought the trailer looked rubbish, but I saw it's directed by Robert Rodriguez and written/ produced by James Cameron. That's a combo with a lot of potential, so I gave it a shot. 

It's the future, some war has screwed up the giant floating cities that populated the world and there's only one left. Underneath it is a giant scrap pile and a sprawling junkyard metropolis. There, a doctor finds a cyborg girl in pieces, and puts her back together. She's got no memory but clearly has a violent past. The doctor has a secret life that introduces Alita to a world of bounty hunters, and after that the plot falls to pieces. 

Firstly, it's all set up for sequels, and that messes with the story. We don't really meet the bad guy, so we get 4 or 5 minor villains instead. She meets a cute guy who is smugger than a vegan on a Sunday bike ride, and his plot developments range from mildly interesting to utterly baffling. 

By the end the plot makes almost no sense, and it's a wonder James Cameron has a writing credit. The man knows how to tell a story so this is bizarre. 

I did expect the girl to sit in the uncanny valley, and I was pleasantly surprised to find she was a decent CG creation. The effects were pretty damn good. But beyond that, there's not a lot to see here. 

2/8

• Options
    TEL said:
    Green Book. Great story telling, superbly shot, fantastic acting......film of the year 9/10
    Feel good factor 11/10
    Agree, saw it at the Electric Cinema in Shoreditch (which is a fun place to go) and thought it was one of the best films I’ve seen for a few years. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched three films this weekend.

Crimes of Grindelwald. 4/10 lost interest after about an hour and turned off.
    Mortal Engines. 4/10 again lost interest, clearly had a massive budget, but was poorly executed. Reminded me of tv film in parts.
    The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot. 7.5/10 Great film, completely left field, looks great and isn't really like anything else.
  • Options
    Saw Green Book this evening. Very enjoyable, with excellent performances from the leading 2 and genuine humour. Definitely recommended by me.
  • Options
    Lego Movie2

Quickfire humour and very inventive. Went to watch it with my daughter and thoroughly enjoyed it.   7.5/10
  • Options
    Lego Movie2

Quickfire humour and very inventive. Went to watch it with my daughter and thoroughly enjoyed it.   7.5/10
    I'm hugely looking forward to this film, the first film is right up there in my top 10
  • Options
    Surprised that Roma and The Favourite cleaned up at the Baftas tonight . Both good films but not a patch on Green Book or Bohemian Rhapsody. At least the Lady Gaga Show didn’t win.  
  • Options
    Roma - A black and white film in a foreign language which is basically a self-indulgentfest about the directors childhood and the first scene is 4 1/2 mins long with no dialogue  and is just someone washing the floor. Why wouldn't it win a BAFTA?