Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

About to see Destroyer......

Once it going thought it was really good.
  • Options

Mary Queen of Scots is so factually incorrect it makes Titanic look like a documentary.

Just seen this. Visually good to look at and Saoirse Ronan delivers another good performance but not as engaging a film as I hoped. Some of the acting was a bit hammy and I think the film could have been a bit darker.
  • Options
    Blackkklansman

The story would be unbelievable if it wasn’t true. It’s an incredibly pertinent film in the Trump America of today, and while I loved the cast and the film’s sense of humour, I never have, and doubt I ever will, like Spike Lee’s style. Some of the visual flourishes broke my suspension of disbelief and I don’t know what they’re supposed to add beyond Lee saying “hey look at me, this is my film don’t forget!”

It’s still a very good movie, I suppose it’s just personal preference.

6/8

• Options
    Saw Roma today and think it's deserving of the first ever foreign language best picture winner.

None of the others really gripped me in the same way, other than Blackkklansman.
  • Options

Saw Roma today and think it's deserving of the first ever foreign language best picture winner.

None of the others really gripped me in the same way, other than Blackkklansman.

Thought Roma was excellent but can't see it winning.
  • Options

I'm inclined to agree, although you never know with the Oscars, especially as there's often a strong political favour. As one critic said, the current impasse about the funding of Trump's wall may encourage some Academy members to vote for a Mexican film.
  • Options

Watched Birdbox on Friday, as others have said, pretty average really. Good ideas, not completely fleshed out, had some promise, not very tense either. Think I will have to watch A Quiet Place now as my flatmate was raving about how good it was, especially in comparison with Birdbox.

@LonelyNorthernAddick Hopefully you've watched A Quiet Place by now and really enjoyed it, especially the bit where she ***** on a ****.
    Still on the list!
  • Options

I Agree . It won’t win . Sadly I think Black Panther will win because we’re still in that sensitive stage where the academy are atoning for their lack of diversity in past decades. Black Panther isn’t even the best Marvel film this year let alone the best film .
  • Options

I Agree . It won’t win . Sadly I think Black Panther will win because we’re still in that sensitive stage where the academy are atoning for their lack of diversity in past decades. Black Panther isn’t even the best Marvel film this year let alone the best film .
    i quite liked Black Panther - a good film, but it would be a bit of a hit for the oscars if a 'good' film was the best of the year. Diversity has become a louder and louder complaint about the Oscars, and with reason. But Black Panther was not any sort of ground breaker - just a decent superhero film, with the same sort of plot that keeps them all chugging. I felt the same way about La La Land, which was also enjoyable (once you got past the first two songs and they introduced a bit of story) and it deservedly didn't win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fyre on Netflix is pretty entertaining - I enjoyed watching it all going disasterously wrong, you can see whats going to happen from the start. The main guy is clearly little better than a flash con artist with no moral code, though I did feel for the local population who got shafted, especially the caterer. Glad to see the other day that she has been reimbursed my a crowd sourcing fundraiser - hopefully the money actually makes it to her!
  • Options

Oscar decisions are often 'political' - deciding the best film is a very subjective decision anyway.

Black Panther is significant in terms of its cast but I'd rather see Roma or failing that Blackkklansman win. Whatever film wins people will moan.

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Blackkklansman

The story would be unbelievable if it wasn’t true. It’s an incredibly pertinent film in the Trump America of today, and while I loved the cast and the film’s sense of humour, I never have, and doubt I ever will, like Spike Lee’s style. Some of the visual flourishes broke my suspension of disbelief and I don’t know what they’re supposed to add beyond Lee saying “hey look at me, this is my film don’t forget!”

6/8

What are your thoughts on 'Do The Right Thing'?
  • Options
    Vice . A film with great intentions but ultimately I think ( and this will sound strange) it will be a little bit too political for the everyday movie goer. Rockwell is excellent as George W Bush and Bale is good too but it it don’t think it win best picture at the Oscars . 8 out of 10
  • Options
    Saw the Favourite today. A quirky and atmospheric film, with some great performances, but an unsatisfactory ending I thought.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Blackkklansman

6/8

It’s been too long since I’ve seen it! We studied it at college, I remember it being a really smart social commentary, but I cannot remember the look and feel of it. Might need a rewatch so I can answer this properly.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Blackkklansman

6/8

It’s been too long since I’ve seen it! We studied it at college, I remember it being a really smart social commentary, but I cannot remember the look and feel of it. Might need a rewatch so I can answer this properly.
    It is one of my favourites, but it does contain all the stylistic stuff that he goes on to use, so I was interested if you thought it works better in that film. I can completely get why people don't go for it, though. And I think he has made some really bad films, along with some really good.
  • Options
    I remember switching off the Ed Norton one halfway through. 25th Hour? That irritated me enough to nope out of there!
  • Options
    Bohemian Rhapsody

Wow. There’s so much wrong with it. The acting (it’s like Pugwall: The Movie), the whitewashing and Brian May positioning himself as the moral centre and brains of the band. And the editing. That this got nominated for an editing Oscar is fucking incredible. There are at least two scenes that are genuinely amateur hour.

Still, Malek is excellent, some of the song writing montages are well executed and the Live Aid sequence is spot on (it was an open goal so I don’t give too much credit for that).

It’s compelling viewing but I don’t quite know why. It’s technically bad filmmaking. It shouldn’t be anywhere near an awards show (not least with the man who directed the bulk of it being an accused child rapist). It just has something about it I can’t put my finger on. I don’t even know what rating to give it. I’m baffled.

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I remember switching off the Ed Norton one halfway through. 25th Hour? That irritated me enough to nope out of there!

Wash your mouth out with soap and jism!

You have shocked me there, I thought 25th hour was a really smart film in 2003 ish when I first saw it and that Ed Norton was superb along with Barry Pepper, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Rosario Dawson.

Made my wife and in-laws watch 3 billboards last night, or I tried to at least, they need something a bit more mainstream sadly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Bohemian Rhapsody

Wow. There’s so much wrong with it. The acting (it’s like Pugwall: The Movie), the whitewashing and Brian May positioning himself as the moral centre and brains of the band. And the editing. That this got nominated for an editing Oscar is fucking incredible. There are at least two scenes that are genuinely amateur hour.

Still, Malek is excellent, some of the song writing montages are well executed and the Live Aid sequence is spot on (it was an open goal so I don’t give too much credit for that).

It’s compelling viewing but I don’t quite know why. It’s technically bad filmmaking. It shouldn’t be anywhere near an awards show (not least with the man who directed the bulk of it being an accused child rapist). It just has something about it I can’t put my finger on. I don’t even know what rating to give it. I’m baffled.

I know what you mean.
    They made it look like he came back for Live Aid despite suffering from AIDS when apparently he didn’t have any symptoms until later. I suppose it made it more poignant, but it detracted from the film for me.

I thought they edited the music very well though. And I enjoyed the early years stuff particularly.
  • Options
    One Cut of the Dead. An excellent zom-com from Japan where real zombies crash the filming of a low budget zombie movie and then spins off into a meta movie within a movie. Cleverly done, silly and warm-hearted too.
  • Options
    The Mule

Clint Eastwood plays a 90 year old drug mule shipping drugs for a Mexican cartel. Gently paced but entertaining and Eastwood still has a considerable screen presence. 7/10
  • Options
    Missed It said:

One Cut of the Dead. An excellent zom-com from Japan where real zombies crash the filming of a low budget zombie movie and then spins off into a meta movie within a movie. Cleverly done, silly and warm-hearted too.

I loved this, did not expect after the first set piece it would be as full of laugh and heart as it is.
  • Options

Vice . A film with great intentions but ultimately I think ( and this will sound strange) it will be a little bit too political for the everyday movie goer. Rockwell is excellent as George W Bush and Bale is good too but it it don’t think it win best picture at the Oscars . 8 out of 10

Enjoyed it although found the satire a bit overdone in places - didn't find it too political. Bale is excellent as Cheney a truly repellent character who is skilled in exploiting the system.

The murky links between business and foreign policy are touched upon and you can see things under Trump are just following on from this. 8/10
  • Options

Fyre on Netflix is pretty entertaining - I enjoyed watching it all going disasterously wrong, you can see whats going to happen from the start. The main guy is clearly little better than a flash con artist with no moral code, though I did feel for the local population who got shafted, especially the caterer. Glad to see the other day that she has been reimbursed my a crowd sourcing fundraiser - hopefully the money actually makes it to her!

Watched this last night - amazing documentary. Reminded me of the planning strategy for Brexit - just keep pretending all will be okay.

Billy McFarland was about as credible as Donald Trump - amazes me how people were taken in by the twunt.
  • Options
    A Star Is Born

Yep, it's good. Can't argue with anything that's already been said or add too much. Could have been schmaltzy or over-the-top tearjerky, but Cooper has shown himself to be a very credible director capable of sensitivity and subtlety. Especially like how he keeps the camera in close up rather than showing the vast, screaming crowds and such. Not a huge fan of Gaga's performance, it was decent and occasionally wooden, but worth casting to get her voice I suppose. Career best from Cooper.

7/8
  • Options
    Vice was brilliant.
    8/10
  • Options
    Velvet Buzzsaw.
    The latest Netflix original that everyone’s talking about for the wrong reasons and I have to go with the consensus. It’s bloody awful .
    Labelled as a horror / Thriller it’s actually neither.
    What it is is a group of talented actors ( Jake Gyllenhaal , Rene Ruso etc) paid handsomely to act out a terrible movie . The dialogue is embarrassing and characters are so ridiculous you’re never actually sure if it’s meant to be a comedy . The director should never be given work again !
    Avoid
    2 out of 10
  • Options
    What we do in the shadows

A pretty silly mockumentary from a couple of the blokes in Flight of the Conchords, it's about some house sharing vampires in New Zealand. Some proper belly laugh moments, it's not going to win any prizes but it did make me laugh and for a comedy that is all I can ask for.

8/10