Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    I knew I’d seen something else!

IT 2
    So bored. Such a repetitive story. And not remotely scary to me - atrocious CGI (they de-aged the chubby kid with Nintendo 64 graphics and some of the monsters aren’t remotely believable)  and there’s a compete lack of peril - Pennywise dicks around so much without doing any harm. A couple of dead end plot points make it worse. Maybe one or two decent moments - I liked the statue scene - but mostly forgettable. The kids made the story much more believable than the adults.

2/5 
  • Options
    Ad Astra
    Tries to be profound but it isn't and has a ridiculous plot. Can't understand why the reviews are so positive. 4/10
  • Options
    I saw Ad Astra too now you mention it. 

A film that that takes a long, long time to tell a very short story. Looks pretty, is a bit nuttier than you might expect (space cowboys and the monkey thing) and while the themes of loneliness work well, the plot does not. Especially the final third. 2/5
  • Options
    Creed II

Yawnfest, please stop 
  • Options
    The Last Tree
    A film about a young black boy who has to adjust to life in London having grown up with a white foster mother in Lincolnshire. Directed by Shola Amoo its beautifully shot with some excellent acting. It is like a British version of the Oscar winning film Moonlight.

8/10
  • Options
    Judy.

Renee Zellweger’s portrayal of Judy Garland is wonderful to watch. A tearjerker and tragic life.

Very good film.
  • Options
    Watched the Diego Maradona feature length documentary last night on HBO in the States. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and actually felt sad for him at the end. One of those really tragic figures.
    The way things worked out after the 1986 World Cup win (the hand of God), his stint at Napoli, the 1990 World cup and the aftermath of that are fascinating. I would highly recommend it.  
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    “Parasite.” 

Korean movie that won the Palme d’Or this year at Cannes. Jaw droppingly great movie that about a poor family weaselling their way into a wealthy family with ever-worsening results. Funny, well-shot, and the most timely movie about the state of the world today. The best movie I’ve seen this year and I can’t imagine any movie between now and year-end catching it. Unreal that Cannes got it so correct. 10/10
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Watched the Diego Maradona feature length documentary last night on HBO in the States. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and actually felt sad for him at the end. One of those really tragic figures.
    The way things worked out after the 1986 World Cup win (the hand of God), his stint at Napoli, the 1990 World cup and the aftermath of that are fascinating. I would highly recommend it.  
    I enjoyed it too . The sound is especially good . I can’t say I felt too sorry for him but his life was an absolute mess when he was at Napoli which makes what he did on the football pitch all the more amazing . 
  • Options
    El Camino

4/10

I had a nasty feeling I'd be disappointed with this, I was however very excited at seeing what happened to Jesse after Walter set off that anti aircraft gun at the end of the tv programme 

It felt like an episode of the show, Aaron Paul acted well as did Badger and Skinny Pete but it didnt add anything in my humble opinion and whilst it hasnt tainted the show I'm a bit upset that a fantastic opportunity has been wasted. 

I think the ending set up another film but I doubt there will be as this one did not add anything. Frustrating and not something people who haven't watched the show would get even though it is stacked full of flashbacks 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I saw just under 20 films at the London Film Festival Industry Screenings over the last week and a bit.

Most of them were good (say 7/10s) but wouldn’t ordinarily warrant a special trip to the cinema unless you were in the mood or particularly attracted by the subject matter.

The four films that I particularly rated and would recommend are:

La Llorona (‘The Weeping Woman’ - Guatemala)

Drawing upon a dark period in Guatemala’s history, an elderly former general faces trial for the genocide of the indigenous Mayan people which he oversaw during the early 1980s military dictatorship. The family’s luxurious villa effectively becomes a prison, as it is besieged by protesters holding a vigil for ‘the disappeared’. Strange things start to happen following the arrival of a mysterious maid and familal doubts begin to surface about the general’s role. There is a supernatural element in play, although how much is in the mind of the increasingly guilt-ridden and anxious protagonists is not always clear.

A powerful and poetic film, which I found totally engaging from start to finish. It is likely to be released in the UK in spring 2020.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (France)

A noblewoman on an island in 18th century Brittany hires a female painter to paint a portrait of her daughter for a suitor in Milan. The artist has to work in secret because the daughter does not wish to be married off. A mutual attraction develops and what ensues is a love story against the backcloth of insurmountable social and cultural barriers. 

I thought this was beautifully filmed and acted, with masterful understatement and restraint. It won the Best Screenplay at Cannes and what is not said is every bit as important as what the characters articulate.

It is released into UK cinemas on 28 February 2020.

The Perfect Candidate (Saudi Arabia)

A highly competent young doctor unexpectedly decides to stand for the local council. Assisted by her sister, a wedding videographer, she embarks upon a highly visible and effective campaign, challenging Saudi Arabia’s strict social codes and what is expected of a young woman in the country.

While this did not, in my view, reach the very exceptional level of the director’s previous feature, ‘Wadja’, it is a fine film, which has plenty of humorous moments. Its UK release is in spring 2020.

The Whistlers (Romania)

A corrupt cop has become part of the Bucharest crime syndicate he is meant to be investigating. Under surveillance by his own force, he goes to the island of La Gomera in the Canaries, to learn the art of ‘silbo’ whistling – a secret language used by shepherds that sounds like birdsong and is therefore perfect for keeping messages from his eavesdropping colleagues.

A Romanian take on film noir, with a slick and intricate plot, fine characterisation and plenty of dark humour. I found it thoroughly entertaining from the first moment to the last.

Likely to be released into UK cinemas in early 2020.

It is all totally subjective but the three worst films that I saw were:

The Other Lamb (USA)

This is about a closed community of women and girls ruled over by ‘the Shepherd’, the sole male in a strictly regimented and isolated woodland settlement.

Although it is in the Festival’s Best Film Official Competition, I found it one-dimensional, banal, predictable and cliched - right down to the cult leader’s Jesus look-a-like hairstyle and beard. The lead actress was good but that was about it - 4/10.

The Lighthouse (USA)

A claustrophobic film about a couple of feuding lighthouse men, with Willem Dafoe the baiting slave-driver and Robert Pattinson the bullied lackey. 

I found it pretentious and a classic example of style over substance. There was no meaningful narrative and I was unable to engage with either character (or even the mermaid, who made a couple of brief appearances). The film’s objective is clearly to immerse the viewer in the miserable existence of the lighthouse but I found the images and sound intrusive and extremely irritating. ‘The Lighthouse’ has been critically acclaimed but, for me, it was the worst film I saw at the LFF - 3/10

Released into UK cinemas on 31 January.

Honey Boy (USA) 

Otis is an alcoholic and self-destructive actor who reflects upon his troubled past whilst in rehab. This transports us back to the life of the young Otis and his unstable and abusive father, who acts as his paid chaperone as they travel around for the boy’s acting engagements.

‘Honey Boy’ received a Special Commendation in the Best Film Official Competition, with the Jury commenting that “Its blisteringly honest performances and clear-eyed, inspired direction make this brilliant film an unforgettable experience.”

I found the film self-indulgent, irritating and poorly scripted. There was a complete lack of engagement with the adult Otis (who, in fairness, was barely on screen). The child actor was good but that was the only plus point. The second worst film I saw - 3/10

• Options
    Carter said:
    El Camino

4/10

I had a nasty feeling I'd be disappointed with this, I was however very excited at seeing what happened to Jesse after Walter set off that anti aircraft gun at the end of the tv programme 

It felt like an episode of the show, Aaron Paul acted well as did Badger and Skinny Pete but it didnt add anything in my humble opinion and whilst it hasnt tainted the show I'm a bit upset that a fantastic opportunity has been wasted. 

I think the ending set up another film but I doubt there will be as this one did not add anything. Frustrating and not something people who haven't watched the show would get even though it is stacked full of flashbacks 
    I don’t disagree with any of that. I just enjoyed it all! Was surprised when I realised the timescale it covered, I thought it was going to cover a lot more. I guess ultimately it was about Jessie coming to terms with the trauma and literally / figuratively moving on. And I really liked watching it. 
  • Options
    I enjoyed El Canmino.
    What else was there to add, unless we wanted an hour of what happened to Skyler ?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Carter said:
    El Camino

4/10

I don’t disagree with any of that. I just enjoyed it all! Was surprised when I realised the timescale it covered, I thought it was going to cover a lot more. I guess ultimately it was about Jessie coming to terms with the trauma and literally / figuratively moving on. And I really liked watching it. 
    Yeah I was talking to a mate yesterday and they definitely watched the same film as me but saw it the same as you. Which is cool, and the main reason I like this thread reading how differently different people see the same film. 

He reckoned a film about Saul/Jimmy will be next or that better call saul will overlap and overtake breaking bad which would possibly make El Camino and the reasons for making it seem more logical to my mind 
  • Options
    El Canmino was more like a feature length episode than a film. Not a lot of action, super thin plot, but a way to fill an hour and a half of your life.
  • Options

I loved El Camino, thought it was fantastic but I actually am a Breaking Bad fanboy so probably slightly biased.

I see where people were coming from i.e. like another show.... it did all tie in nicely though and I thought the ending was great.

• Options
    El Camino was a bit Meh for me . I was entertained but was it really any more than an average extended episode of the TV show ? I don’t think so . 6 out of 10
  • Options
    Todd definitely put on some timber in those 5 years didn't he.
  • Options
    Personally thought Joker was excellent myself. Joaquin was just as good as I expected him to be, I just hope they leave it as a Standalone, as I can't picture Joaquin's Joker in a fight with Batman, I don't think it would work properly.

Also watched Green Book this weekend, really enjoyed it and can't see why it got so much stick when it won the Oscars. Admittedly, it wasn't quite as hard hitting as I imagined but it was interesting and enjoyable and I thought it had a strong storyline.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Todd definitely put on some timber in those 5 years didn't he.
    Even Todd’s weight didn’t bother me. It was more about the characters and the story that did it for me. Seeing Skinny Pete and Badger at the beginning felt like seeing an old friend you hadn’t seen for years yet not a day had passed. I was hooked straight back into the Breaking Bad world with all the usual twists and turns that made the TV series so great. I went into it not having any ideas about how it would turn out and at the end I was in bits. Will be watching it again on a bigger screen as the laptop didn’t seem to do it justice. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just got back from seeing Official Secrets. Didn't recall the story it was based on (Katherine Gun) but that was fine by me as it didn't spoil the ending. Thought it was excellent. I had forgotten how annoyed I got about the Iraq war, and it pushed all my buttons. 9/10 for me
  • Options
    Terminator Dark Fate was excellent.
  • Options
    A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood 

Tom Hanks as America’s mr nice guy Fred Rogers. It’s not about him (he doesn’t have an arc) it’s about the cynical reporter who interviews him and gets deeply affected by how sincere Rogers is. 

I enjoyed it. Found the reporter interesting enough to stick with, thought Hanks did a great job of portraying Rogers and the visual flourishes (the studio set is key) fun. Not a taxing film but it definitely makes you want to be a better person once you’ve finished watching it. For me that lasted about 6-7 minutes, at which point I was back on the Tube cursing people for standing in doorways. 
  • Options
    Night Hunter 

4/10

This looked like a really slickly made, expensively produced thriller. In the vein of silence if the lambs, I know this because the synopsis told me so.

Henry Cavill, Alexandra Daddario, Ben Kingsley and Stabley Tucci are some big hitters so all looked promising, and the first 30 minutes backed this up 

Then it's like the writer and director swapped and it turns into a bucket of sloppy, type 7 on the Bristol, muck

It becomes almost like scary movie as a parody. 

Which is a massive shame because it could have been brilliant 
  • Options
    Joker.

Thoroughly recommend, Joaquin Phoenix, immense and brilliant performance by him.
  • Options
    Joker. Bravura performance by Phoenix but too long and too slow and I found myself thinking "Who cares about a sentimental back story for a comic book character?"
  • Options
    Dr Sleep

I loved it, even though it's a bit crazy. It's a sequel to the book and to The Shining, so it has the look/ feel of the Kubrick film but the nutty elements of the books (which Kubrick largely ignored). Where Kubrick left things a bit ambiguous, Dr Sleep has to go full mystical. And while it's all very Stephen Kingy, I did enjoy it immensely. Some great visuals, some good storytelling and some excellent performances. I have one or two issues that would require spoiling it, so I'll leave them out of it. I wasn't scared, but I was engaged the whole time. 

5/7

• Options
    Terminator: Dark Fate

Meh. It's the third best Termiantor. There a scene with a de-aged Sarah Connor and John Connor and I found myself wanting to watch a film done like that. 

It's certainly an improvement on the last few, and mostly entertaining (although some of the action was confusing as hell). I like that it put strong women front and centre and was believable in doing so. Evil Terminator was pretty good. Even the comic beats could have gone wrong, but were fine. 

I just think to make a sequel to T2 would require the same style. Same music, same cinematography. That kind of stuff. Here, it's a generic action movie with some Terminator flourishes. Perfectly fine but mostly forgettable action movie. I think it needs to end now. 

3/6
  • Options
    Yesterday 6/10

My expectations are in line with the score here, it's a romcom it's a really good concept for a comedy film or just a film full stop. The lead actor was Tanwar in eastenders and he essentially plays the same character here, dour, cynical yet musically gifted. For anyone who gives a hoot what I think who doesn't know the premise, there is a worldwide power cut, like energy cut and our lead ends up being knocked off his bike by a bus and loses a couple of teeth and the world loses their memory of The Beatles. There are a few other things the world has forgotten too which made me laugh. Tanwar then picks up the mantle and starts performing the songs and appearing to the the greatest songwriter since well, Lennon and McCartney and in the modern world this gives us our film. 

It only gets a six because I think some unecessary Richard curtisey stuff was shoehorned in, the romance part was never in real jeopardy as is usually the case with romcoms, and the final act seemed daft, even for a film based on the premise it was. 

Mark Kermode laugh test is just passed but it was not belly laughter it was mildly amused huh huhs. The cinematography was beautiful the whole way through, the actors all did their thing and the film is inoffensive. The part towards the end I definitely didn't find as emotional as was the aim but again, it was nicely filmed 

Wait until this film is free to watch, it will appeal to fans of Richard Curtis films 
  • Options
    Anna and the Apocalypse 

6/10

Me and my wife fell into watching this as she couldn't make her mind up on whether we watched Boy Erased or the new Halloween. So we went for this

Firstly, it's a zombie,  high school, coming of age musical, the premise is funny and interesting even if musicals aren't my thing generally. 

It had some good singing and dancing in, and the songs were silly enough to keep me from switching off, the lead actress looked like a younger Ann Hathaway and I imagine we will be seeing a lot more of her in time to come either in the west end or more films. There are a few laughs, a couple of belly laughs but I'm not sure they were meant to be. It's a 15 I think as there are some fairly graphic zombie killings and a sprinkling of vulgarity

Paul Kaye and Mark Benton are two recognisable faces and Paul Kaye as ever so excellent as the frustrated head teacher who hates everything. 

I quite enjoyed it but it was a film you need to embrace and stick with, it's not deep or insightful or going to change lives and it definitely isn't Shaun of the dead but it was entertaining in an odd way. 

worth watching but I'm sure you will survive if you skip this one