Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Really looking forward to seeing 1917 when its out.
    yup, looks quite impressive
  • edited December 2019
    Worried 1917 might just be a First World War version of Saving Private Ryan

Regardless it looks interesting and really want to see it as there arent enough WW1 films for my liking, difficult I know with the mundane life in the trenches
  • New David Copperfield film out in January, looks a lot of fun. 

Dev Patel, Peter Capaldi, Tilda Swinton, Hugh Laurie, Ben Whishaw, etc. 
  • Looking forward to 1917 and Jojo Rabbit.
  • Put my review off Star Wars on the Star Wars thread and covered it with a Spoiler Alert, so will just put on here

8/10 best of the last 3 movies
  • Marriage Story - 

Quick summary, Adam Driver and Scarlett Johanson going through a divorce and increasingly become at each other throats as they fight over custody of their young son. It sounds like some cheesy romcom with a predictable ending but it is far from that trust me.

Both the lead roles in this, and the small supporting cast, are excellent, driving the story with long shot scenes and monologues. This will definitely be up for some awards, its a moving story with some very intense and emotional scenes. One I would watch again for sure. I would imagine if you have been through a similar experience yourself it could really be a bit of a tearjerker.

Bit of a must watch for me 
  • Chris Hunneysett from The Daily Mirror reviews Cats - (it ain't purrfect) :neutral:

This big budget big screen version of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical is only saved from catastrophe by the quality of its cast, most of whom deserve so much better.

The threadbare plot sees a tribe of cats get together in a ruined theatre to see which cat will be chosen to ascend to the 'Heaviside Layer', i.e. heaven, and come back to a new life.  Idris Elba's evil cat, Macavity is desperate to be chosen, and is kidnapping his competition and dumping them on a barge in the Thames.

Director Tom Hooper has form with musicals, I've only just recovered from his 2012 adaption of Les Miserables, and now he's returned to terrorise me again with this.

Judi Dench, Ian McKellen and Idris Elba do their considerable best to make it bearable, James Corden and Rebel Wilson are a unique form of horror at the best of times, and Jason Derulo maintains his reputation as an American Olly Murs.  And you'll have to brace yourself for the unrestrained vigour with which Jennifer Hudson belts Memory, a performance which will linger in your ear drums for a long while.

The 1980s synth-heavy production of the music is put to shame by Taylor Swift's additional new song, Beautiful Ghosts, which is an oasis of quality, especially when heard alongside to Lloyd Webber's turgid and interminable tunes.  And even being given a diva's introduction at the beginning of the show's best original number, Macavity - The Mystery Cat, she should still be looking for a new agent for having allowed herself to be involved in this kitty litter of a flick.

I've no idea why they've squandered so much money on the 'digital fur technology', as it still looks as if the cast are leaping around in makeup and furry costumes. At least the set designers seemed to have fun.

Fans of musical theatre will possibly lap it up, though the kids in my preview screening were noticeably quiet throughout, and it left me feline embarrassed for all concerned.

Cats is released in UK cinemas on December 20, 2019.

• Cats looks like my idea of hell. 
    This 
  • Sponsored links:

I can't remember a film I've been less inclined to watch. 
    Mama Mia maybe
    Mama Mia maybe
    Close run thing but at least that seems to look normal.

As much as I hate ABBA and films that try and crowbar a thin plot to fit around songs. 
  • Taking my daughter to see Cats - can't wait!
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Just watched ‘Awake’ on Netflix. Up there with one of the worst films I’ve seen. So many plot holes and even worse acting. 
    Mind if I ask how you came to choose that film? 
    My missus has a lot to answer for when it comes to fill choice.

I usually don't mind Jonathon Rhys Myers (Loved The Tudors) and it said 'Thriller' so i gave her the benefit of the doubt. 

She fell asleep after 25 minutes.
    I interviewed him a little while ago. He was in a furious mood cos he’d had a plane rage incident the day before, and interviewers were told not to mention it. But the people before me - The Daily Mail - did, naturally, so he lost his shit and I was asked to try and be upbeat and cheer him up. It was a tricky one. 

I had to film and ask the questions, so I brought a friend along and told him to make sure that the camera was all okay during the interview. I asked the right sort of questions and that helped him not be a total misery. We talked for about 20 minutes, it went pretty well all things considered.  

So I take the mics off, go over to the camera and... it wasn't recording. My mate hadn't done the one thing he was supposed to do. The feeling that occurred in the pit of my stomach at that moment... wow. That was a horrible memory, I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to share it. But I've typed this now and I'm not wasting the last six minutes. 
    My friend interviewed Alice Cooper once prior to a UK tour, was the only journo in England offered the interview as they had met in the US. Recorded it on a dictaphone and realised the batteries had run out on the train home. Similar feeling to you I imagine. Rang Alice Cooper up and confessed all, invited back the next day to repeat the three hour interview!!
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Just watched ‘Awake’ on Netflix. Up there with one of the worst films I’ve seen. So many plot holes and even worse acting. 
    Mind if I ask how you came to choose that film? 
    My missus has a lot to answer for when it comes to fill choice.

I usually don't mind Jonathon Rhys Myers (Loved The Tudors) and it said 'Thriller' so i gave her the benefit of the doubt. 

She fell asleep after 25 minutes.
    I interviewed him a little while ago. He was in a furious mood cos he’d had a plane rage incident the day before, and interviewers were told not to mention it. But the people before me - The Daily Mail - did, naturally, so he lost his shit and I was asked to try and be upbeat and cheer him up. It was a tricky one. 

I had to film and ask the questions, so I brought a friend along and told him to make sure that the camera was all okay during the interview. I asked the right sort of questions and that helped him not be a total misery. We talked for about 20 minutes, it went pretty well all things considered.  

So I take the mics off, go over to the camera and... it wasn't recording. My mate hadn't done the one thing he was supposed to do. The feeling that occurred in the pit of my stomach at that moment... wow. That was a horrible memory, I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to share it. But I've typed this now and I'm not wasting the last six minutes. 
    My friend interviewed Alice Cooper once prior to a UK tour, was the only journo in England offered the interview as they had met in the US. Recorded it on a dictaphone and realised the batteries had run out on the train home. Similar feeling to you I imagine. Rang Alice Cooper up and confessed all, invited back the next day to repeat the three hour interview!!
    I have to do interviews occasionally and, although thankfully it's never happened to me, I'm absolutely paranoid about it.  I get through way too many batteries as I put fresh ones in every time I use my voice recorder.

I have lost out on a recording where I didn't notice I'd pushed stop by accident, right after I'd pressed start (d'oh!) but was able to cobble things together from other sources in the end.
  • Ms AA and I saw The Lighthouse with Willem Defoe and Robert Pattinson as the Picturehouse surprise film so only a £5.

It's a very good piece of filmmaking but I'm struggling to say I enjoyed it.  We both thought it was perhaps just a bit too bonkers.

Before the film, they showed the trailer, not just the few seconds you get on the TV adverts, for Jojo Rabbit.  The looks even more bonkers but seems really funny, as long as they haven't put all the jokes in the trailer, so I am very much looking forward to it whereas Ms AA isn't.
  • Despite being warned by my brother how bad it was I still couldn't resist watching 6 Underground. Despite the usual impressive action set pieces from Michael Bay it's a massive stinking turd of a film. A complete mess. It's also got the most shameless product placement I have ever seen in a movie. It makes James Bond look subtle.
  • Despite being warned by my brother how bad it was I still couldn't resist watching 6 Underground. Despite the usual impressive action set pieces from Michael Bay it's a massive stinking turd of a film. A complete mess. It's also got the most shameless product placement I have ever seen in a movie. It makes James Bond look subtle.
    I was going to watch this tomorrow until you said it was Michael Bay movie . No thanks 
  • edited December 2019

My top 10 films of this year 

1. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood 

2. The Irishman 

3. Rocketman 

4. Joker

5. Deadwood: The Movie 

6. Dolemite is My Name

7. The Edge 

8. Dragged Across Concrete 

9. Avengers : End Game 

10. Diego Maradona 
  • Sponsored links:

• Best films seen this year for me are:-
    The Irishman
    Diego Maradona 
    Green Book
    Stan and Ollie.
  • Saw the trailer for Tenet at star wars earlier.

Looks blinding.
  • Only seen 2 new films this year.
    Joker & Parasite, both 5 stars.
  • Saw the trailer for Tenet at star wars earlier.

Looks blinding.
    Wasn’t even aware Nolan had a new film
    coming out next year, so thanks for bringing this to my attention. Not much given away in the trailer but certainly excited about it.
  • edited December 2019
    Saw the trailer for Tenet at star wars earlier.

Looks blinding.
    Wasn’t even aware Nolan had a new film
    coming out next year, so thanks for bringing this to my attention. Not much given away in the trailer but certainly excited about it.
      The trailer in the IMAX was not the one you can see on YouTube. It was about 10 mins long and one scene. The hijacking of a packed opera house.
    It was pretty intense. Well up for seeing it.
  • Worried 1917 might just be a First World War version of Saving Private Ryan

Regardless it looks interesting and really want to see it as there arent enough WW1 films for my liking, difficult I know with the mundane life in the trenches
    1917 is nothing like Private Ryan. It’s more like an action thriller that happens to be in WW1! 

6 Underground - I got through seven minutes of that cliched tripe before my eyes had felt like they’d been assaulted enough and I turned it off. I like Ryan Reynolds but Jesus Christ it’d be nice for him to not play Deadpool once in a while. 

Hearing really bad things about Jojo Rabbit but hoping it’s all wrong. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:

1917 is nothing like Private Ryan. It’s more like an action thriller that happens to be in WW1! 

6 Underground - I got through seven minutes of that cliched tripe before my eyes had felt like they’d been assaulted enough and I turned it off. I like Ryan Reynolds but Jesus Christ it’d be nice for him to not play Deadpool once in a while. 

6 Underground.  A Michael Bay film.  Say no more.

Everybody loves a Hitler joke, right?! JoJo Rabbit could be hilarious but I don't think Taika Watiti is as funny as he thinks he is so it could very well be horrendous.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Turned off that 6 underground after 10 minutes gave me a fucking headache. Utter shite.
  • My top tens of the year!

Best

1. First Man
    Came out in 18 but saw it at the cinema in January. Stylish, intense, beautifully shot. Film of the year for me. 

2. Never Look Away
    Not an easy watch by any means, but worth it for the most understated pay off in movie history. Brilliant storytelling. 

3. Apollo 11
    Hard to believe this was entirely shot in 1969. 

4. Once Upon a Time In Hollywood
    QT’s most grown-up movie since Jackie Brown. 

5. Dragged Across Concrete
    Zahler’s movies have big balls, and I’m a sucker for slow paced/ realistic crime thrillers. 

6. A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood 
    Very inventive. Very sweet. Made me be nice to people on the tube for a good 15-20 minutes after. 

7. Knives Out
    Johnson is a hell of a director and he takes a decent script and makes it gripping. Excellent cast helps too. 

8. Doctor Sleep
    Lots of free alcohol before the screening made a difference. Not really a film-friendly novel but thought it did a sterling job of being a sequel to a book and a very different film. 

9. Brightburn
    Not amazing but exactly what I think should happen with superhero movies - make them dark! 

10. Crawl
    A schlocky b-movie but all I knew about it going in was the name, so enjoyed it as a surprise. 

Worst

1. Midway
    My god it’s bad. Annoyed me by being so long and so repetitive. 

2. Once Upon a Time in London
    Cheap and nonsensical - worst storytelling I’ve ever seen on the big screen. Hated it. 

3. Glass
    Just fuck off Shyamalan. How did you mess up an Unbreakable sequel?

4. X-Men: Dark Phoenix
    Nobody involved in this movie, not a soul, deserves an ounce of credit. 

5. Hellboy
    Just a badly made film. Should’ve let Del Toro finish his trilogy. 

6. A Hidden Life
    Fuck off fuck off fuck off. Three hours of pretentious shite. Fuck off. 

7. Pet Cemetery
    So, so bad. I genuinely felt embarrassed for Jason Clarke. 

8. IT 2
    Zzzzzzzzz

9. Gemini Man
    Hilarious CGI, hackneyed script. 

10. Men in Black 4
    This is how not to make a franchise film. Predictable doesn’t cut it - I literally figured out the plot and twist from the poster. 
  • edited December 2019
    6 Underground you have to take with a huge pinch of salt. It is purely a Ryan Reynolds action movie. He doesn't play Deadpool.

Reynolds typecast was set before then around Van Wilder or Two guys a girl and a pizza place, coincidentally it is similar to the character Deadpool