Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Boy Erased is about as different as it gets to your other options there. 

A slow drama and not a lot happens, but excellent performances and an interesting true story. With a brilliant ironic twist at one point. 
  • Options
    Watched the Sherlock Holmes guy Ritchie version for the first time last night.

Only ten years old!

Thought it was Excellent.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Boy Erased is about as different as it gets to your other options there. 

A slow drama and not a lot happens, but excellent performances and an interesting true story. With a brilliant ironic twist at one point. 
    Yeah I like the deeper films and I'd been looking forward to seeing Boy Erased for a while but my wife needs a lot of convincing. She didnt like 3 billboards for example which I loved, she thought Wind River was unpleasant, which it is but brilliant so it's easier to stick to the more box office stuff. So I'll probably end up watching Boy Erased on my own at some point 

• Options
    Watched the Sherlock Holmes guy Ritchie version for the first time last night.

Only ten years old!

Thought it was Excellent.

There's actually 2 in the series , they're both really good.
    The 2nd one is game is shadows .
  • Options
    Farmageddon was clever but not funny.  Shame.
  • Options
    “Parasite.” 

Korean movie that won the Palme d’Or this year at Cannes. Jaw droppingly great movie that about a poor family weaselling their way into a wealthy family with ever-worsening results. Funny, well-shot, and the most timely movie about the state of the world today. The best movie I’ve seen this year and I can’t imagine any movie between now and year-end catching it. Unreal that Cannes got it so correct. 10/10
    What a film. Watched it tonight.
    Original, interesting and well paced, the couple of hours flew by.
    The mix of tension, intrigue and comedy were perfect.
    99% on rotten tomatoes and 8.5 on IMDb are well deserved, as was the Palme d’Or obviously.

if you intend on seeing it, make sure you avoid all spoilers for this one. It really is worth going in not knowing anything.
  • Options
    “Parasite.” 

Korean movie that won the Palme d’Or this year at Cannes. Jaw droppingly great movie that about a poor family weaselling their way into a wealthy family with ever-worsening results. Funny, well-shot, and the most timely movie about the state of the world today. The best movie I’ve seen this year and I can’t imagine any movie between now and year-end catching it. Unreal that Cannes got it so correct. 10/10
    99% on rotten tomatoes and 8.5 on IMDb are well deserved, as was the Palme d’Or obviously.

if you intend on seeing it, make sure you avoid all spoilers for this one. It really is worth going in not knowing anything.
    Where did you see this mate?
  • Options
    Excited for Parasite too. 

Farmageddon was clever AND funny AND moving, shame on YOU! 
  • Options
    “Parasite.” 

Where did you see this mate?
    Watched it from the android box.
    Seen this morning it won't be released in the UK until February now, despite US release last month.
  • Options

Haloween 2018- 6/10 , some good bits, but also was a bit slow and predictable. Not quite up to the original but was watchable, probably wouldn't recommend it though.

Fractured - Netflix - 3/10 - persisted with it but awful, was a bit all over the place but nothing really that great. I heard some good reviews but it wasn't my cup of tea, something quite different so might suit some people. Acting pretty awful too

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry We Missed You
    Latest film from Ken Loach detailing the effects on a family in the North East of zero hours contracts and the Gig economy. A bleak tale of how workers rights continued to be eroded.

Some very powerful scenes in the film which shows the struggle of an ordinary family trying to hold things together. 8/10
  • Options
    White Boy Rick - not sure if this has been mentioned already but just watched on sky. It stars Matthew Mcconaughey and is about a 15 year old who becomes the youngest informant ever for the fbi. It’s a true story and is a good watch. Great sound track too. 8/10.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    The King ... 5/10

Maybe I'm being harsh, the trailers like any other show only the best of any film... Hell I've seen many a film where it would be better to watch nothing but the trailer because the rest of the film is bloody shit!! - I question if I'm being harsh about the King (a Netflix film about Henry V) because its based on the Shakespeare plays rather than genuine events that it covers

I'm not going to lie; I've never read those plays that cover Agincourt etc. so in this instance the film could be extremely true to its origins

But as someone who has always enjoyed reading about History (mostly Military) its a film that has a shocking amount of inaccuracies that surely dont need to be inaccurate because Henry's invasion of France in 1415 was such an interesting period!!... Now I may be biased as he's one of my favourite authors but Bernard Cornwell's novel on the battle is a perfect example of how the events can be turned into a decent story

Of course though I'm waffling about something that "Hollywood" has never cared about - The cinematogrophy of the inaccurate battle is excellent but for me its a film that needlessly drags on a bit too much at times - Robert Pattison as the Dauphin tried his best speaking bad English as a "frenchman" but come the end was more that of Peter Sellers as the Pink Panther rather than someone in a serious situation!!

As a plus point Timothee Chalamet is someone for me who comes out of the film with great credit though, and is an actor I'll certainly look out for in the future

Jojo Rabbit (by Taika Waititi; Thor; Ragnorak Director) is another I cant wait to see and is one film I'm really looking forward to from the trailer, just hope it doesnt leave me with the same disappointment
  • Options
    Watched Queen of Hearts, which won an award at Sundance.
    Farking hell. Very, very dark. Scandinavian cinema at its best.
    Mother has an affair with her 17 year old stepson.
    Uncomfortable to watch, but a very very good film with great acting.
    Certainly not a family movie though.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Bit old but I saw Annihilation on Netflixs this morning after a mate recommended it. I then saw it again this evening.
    Great film, utterly absorbing, and one of those that leaves you wondering what exactly you just watched. Shades of Kubricks 2001 at the end, and a nod or two to Alien and Prometheus, but this was a really good watch.
    9/10
  • Options
    Got to be said; most if not all the Netflix originals films are turkeys. They spend money on talent, getting big names to play the roles - and seemingly nothing on scripts and directors. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Got to be said; most if not all the Netflix originals films are turkeys. They spend money on talent, getting big names to play the roles - and seemingly nothing on scripts and directors. 
    Martin Scorsese's The Irishman being one exception?
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Valley11 said:
    Haven’t seen it yet. Have you?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Jessie said:
    Valley11 said:
    Haven’t seen it yet. Have you?
    Nope. But it is rated highly on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes. Can't say anything about the script as I've not seen it but definitely great director.
  • Options
    The King ... 5/10

Maybe I'm being harsh, the trailers like any other show only the best of any film... Hell I've seen many a film where it would be better to watch nothing but the trailer because the rest of the film is bloody shit!! - I question if I'm being harsh about the King (a Netflix film about Henry V) because its based on the Shakespeare plays rather than genuine events that it covers

I'm not going to lie; I've never read those plays that cover Agincourt etc. so in this instance the film could be extremely true to its origins

But as someone who has always enjoyed reading about History (mostly Military) its a film that has a shocking amount of inaccuracies that surely dont need to be inaccurate because Henry's invasion of France in 1415 was such an interesting period!!... Now I may be biased as he's one of my favourite authors but Bernard Cornwell's novel on the battle is a perfect example of how the events can be turned into a decent story

Of course though I'm waffling about something that "Hollywood" has never cared about - The cinematogrophy of the inaccurate battle is excellent but for me its a film that needlessly drags on a bit too much at times - Robert Pattison as the Dauphin tried his best speaking bad English as a "frenchman" but come the end was more that of Peter Sellers as the Pink Panther rather than someone in a serious situation!!

As a plus point Timothee Chalamet is someone for me who comes out of the film with great credit though, and is an actor I'll certainly look out for in the future

Jojo Rabbit (by Taika Waititi; Thor; Ragnorak Director) is another I cant wait to see and is one film I'm really looking forward to from the trailer, just hope it doesnt leave me with the same disappointment
    I watched this last night and agree with your review.

Also, let’s just say the French aren’t happy about it. Read an article on the Telegraph website and they are seriously pissed off about how they are portrayed and how well Henry V comes across. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2019
    The King ... 5/10

I watched this last night and agree with your review.

Also, let’s just say the French aren’t happy about it. Read an article on the Telegraph website and they are seriously pissed off about how they are portrayed and how well Henry V comes across. 
    Oh the French will be pissed with whatever we do, still remember them being annoyed when Eurostar was first built because trains ran from France into Waterloo Station which they saw as a slur

Any film produced which shows them having their arses kicked with always result in a complaint

I'm just pleased that there are more than enough of them :)
  • Options
    I also watched Terminator Dark Fate on IMAX

As someone previously commented, much better than the previous one, the plot was alot more simple although Schwarzeneger seems to be shoe horned into the movie, the idea of him regretting his past and trying to live a human life was a bit ridiculous.

Not a bad effort but same old bollox.  4/10
  • Options
    We don’t have Netflix or any other streaming platforms so rely on free-to-air movies which we copy from time to time.  Occasionally we come up with an absolute cracker like WHIPLASH which we watched last night.

It was made in 2014 and one 3 academy awards, a bafta and others. For anyone who likes big band jazz and the drums especially it’s a treat for sure. The film will stay copied so I can watch time and again the spectacular finale.

its about a music conservatory and an award winning band with the most ruthless and foul-mouthed mentor as its leader.  Front and centre of the story is a young man striving to become the worlds best drummer.  Great stuff.

Sorry this is out of place as a latest film but it’s an oldie and a goodie.
  • Options
    We don’t have Netflix or any other streaming platforms so rely on free-to-air movies which we copy from time to time.  Occasionally we come up with an absolute cracker like WHIPLASH which we watched last night.

It was made in 2014 and one 3 academy awards, a bafta and others. For anyone who likes big band jazz and the drums especially it’s a treat for sure. The film will stay copied so I can watch time and again the spectacular finale.

its about a music conservatory and an award winning band with the most ruthless and foul-mouthed mentor as its leader.  Front and centre of the story is a young man striving to become the worlds best drummer.  Great stuff.

I'm delighted that it is an option on the GCSE Film Studies course that I teach, within the US Independent component. I chose 'Whiplash' from the shortlist available and it's gone down very well indeed with my Year 11 students. In case you are interested the other films that I chose were 'Submarine', 'Tsotsi', 'Slumdog Millionaire', plus a comparison of 'Invasion of The Body Snatchers' (1956) with 'E.T.'  They also have to produce their own 800-1000 word screenplays for a scene from a film (we do horror) and a shooting script for one minute of action. It's a lot more challenging than Film Studies used to be; I'd say it's on a par with English Literature which I also teach.
  • Options

Cracking film. 
  • Options
    Saw The Irishman on Sunday - pretty much what you would expect from a Scorcese film with De Niro, Pesci, and Al Pacino, quality acting and a good storyline but the 3.5hr playtime was definitely indulgent, could've cut half hour/hour easy which would've made the middle portion a bit sharper. Last 30/45 mins were particularly good.

Worth noting that my GF managed to stay awake throughout AND enjoyed it and paid attention (rare!), although I think it helped that we watched it in the cinema, if we'd watched it on Netflix at home she probably would've got distracted in the middle portion so I think it was better to see it in the 'big screen' setting. 
  • Options
    Saw The Irishman on Sunday - pretty much what you would expect from a Scorcese film with De Niro, Pesci, and Al Pacino, quality acting and a good storyline but the 3.5hr playtime was definitely indulgent, could've cut half hour/hour easy which would've made the middle portion a bit sharper. Last 30/45 mins were particularly good.

Worth noting that my GF managed to stay awake throughout AND enjoyed it and paid attention (rare!), although I think it helped that we watched it in the cinema, if we'd watched it on Netflix at home she probably would've got distracted in the middle portion so I think it was better to see it in the 'big screen' setting. 
    When is it on general release? 
  • Options

On Netflix at end of month 
  • Options

I'm living in Northern Ireland, I saw it at a quirky University theatre (which is actually really nice despite how it sounds) - but it's had one or two showings a night at most local cinemas to me if i'm honest