Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Reviews are positive and the one continuous shot thing really appeals to me. Can not wait.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-reviews/1917-movie-review-sam-mendes-930098/
    The trailer makes me hate the film before I've seen it.  Everything's so clean and bright.  Where's the squalor from living in the same place for four years with bits of dead bodies, lice and rats keeping you company?
  • Options
    Agree about Wes Anderson. The Royal Tenenbaums is one of the biggest pile of crap I’ve ever seen. The only film I like of his is Fantastic Mr Fox. 
    Isle of Dogs was a great film and also liked The Grand Budapest Hotel. 
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, hoofy.  Fantastic Mr Fox, on the other hand, bored me rigid within five minutes.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Chunes said:
    I also watched Jojo Rabbit last night and thought it was fantastic. Best film I've seen this year.

Some real iconic directing moments. Funny. Sad. Taika Waititi showing off his chops. Loved it. 
    Sees film on January 7th, says best film seen this year.  Not a lot of competition, me thinks.

To be fair, it's an excellent film and I think it will take some beating to not be the best film I will see all year.  The acting is spot on, it's hilarious in some places (especially the panzerfaust) and very poignant or sad in others, and having Adolf as your invisible friend is far stranger than the 6' white rabbit in Harvey.

Ms AA, on the other hand, thought is was 'just OK'.
  • Options
    Reviews are positive and the one continuous shot thing really appeals to me. Can not wait.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-reviews/1917-movie-review-sam-mendes-930098/
    The trailer makes me hate the film before I've seen it.  Everything's so clean and bright.  Where's the squalor from living in the same place for four years with bits of dead bodies, lice and rats keeping you company?
    It’s an action thriller set against the backdrop of WW1, rather than a retelling of life in the trenches. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020

'the trailer makes me hate the film before i've seen it'.......what a strange way to approach any movie.
  • Options

'the trailer makes me hate the film before i've seen it'.......what a strange way to approach any movie.
    Trailers are supposed to make you want to see a film, no?  If they fail, why can't it have completely the opposite effect?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:

It’s an action thriller set against the backdrop of WW1, rather than a retelling of life in the trenches. 
    OK, but if you set an action thriller in Greenland would you be OK with it omitting the snow and ice?

I'm not saying you need 100% verisimilitude but the look of the film has driven me away.  Each to their own and that's my position.
  • Options

Trailers are supposed to make you want to see a film, no?  If they fail, why can't it have completely the opposite effect?
    I watched the trailer for Cats. I won't watch the film because it doesn't appeal to me. I can't say 'i hate the film' though because, well, i haven't seen it.
  • Options

I'd hardly say the trailer I saw was all clean and bright. 
  • Options

I watched the trailer for Cats. I won't watch the film because it doesn't appeal to me. I can't say 'i hate the film' though because, well, i haven't seen it.
    That that is the effect of the Cats trailer on you bears no relation to the effect of the 1917 trailer on me.  You could tell me a trailer makes you want to rip your clothes off and rub yourself all over the Ralgex and I'd be fine with that (although I wouldn't want to watch), it would be your response.  Please don't tell me my response to a trailer isn't valid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020

That that is the effect of the Cats trailer on you bears no relation to the effect of the 1917 trailer on me.  You could tell me a trailer makes you want to rip your clothes off and rub yourself all over the Ralgex and I'd be fine with that (although I wouldn't want to watch), it would be your response.  Please don't tell me my response to a trailer isn't valid.
    Calm yourself down. I said it was a strange approach, I didn’t say it wasnt valid.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I have to put Joker in top spot followed by Stan and Ollie. I thought the acting performances in both were mesmerisingly brilliant. Joker had me thinking about it long after and I can't wait to see it again on DVD and see what I might have missed.
  • Options
    Jojo Rabbit 9/10 
  • Options
    I used to run a Coming Soon article for years but since I stopped doing that stuff my experience of watching new films is vastly improved. I’ve gone in totally blind to dozens of films (albeit as a reviewer so not paying my own cash) - no idea if they’re about male ballerinas in Soviet Russia, or monster alligators in Floridian basements. It’s so much better to see a film with no pre-conceptions. Much more fun. 

If you’re paying, or short on time, I realise it’s important to choose wisely, but judging a film from such little information, to me, is mad.
    JiMMy 85 said:

OK, but if you set an action thriller in Greenland would you be OK with it omitting the snow and ice?
    Yes, absolutely. All that matters is what happens from the opening to closing frame. If the move sells the concept of an ice-free Greenland to me, or if it’s an oversight than I can ignore and enjoy what the film is actually trying to do, then yep I’m fine with that. 

What I won’t do is judge the film based on what a marketing department/ trailer editing house has done with three minutes of footage and a catchy song! 
  • Options
    The Gentlemen
    I normally hate Guy Ritchie films but this is very funny with a good storyline. Hugh Grant is excellent.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Finally finished The Irishman on Netflix yesterday, after warding of my daughters so I could enjoy it without interruptions. great film, really enjoyed it immensely. Well acted (when the lead characters were supposed to be young, they lacked a bit of the spightliness of youth, but all very well done) and a great plot. After Little Women, this was what I needed. Now to see if I can get away to see Knives Out.
    I think the film should have finished when the date went up on the screen, perhaps built up to it more. Instead we got a last hour with the only point made was that all parties died and he didn't blab. Lame.

Anyone watching stop the film when the date comes up and it's a masterpiece.
  • Options
    Jojo Rabbit . As one critic brilliantly put it , “ it’s like a Wes Anderson film set in the third reich “ .

It did little for me . I probably laughed about three times .  7 out out of 10 - Just 

• Options
    The Gentlemen. If you like Guy Ritchie films this wont let you down. Loved Hugh Grants camp character and he had some blinding lines throughout the film. I think Matthew McConaughey grows in stature film by film, he didnt disappoint here either. Charlie Thurnham was good too...finally throwing off his Jax character at last. Good laugh. 7.5/10
  • Options
    I have to put Joker in top spot followed by Stan and Ollie. I thought the acting performances in both were mesmerisingly brilliant. Joker had me thinking about it long after and I can't wait to see it again on DVD and see what I might have missed.
    I'd forgotten about Stan and Ollie.  Certainly one of the best films of last year.

The acting in Joker was top notch but the film overall, whilst quite disturbing, didn't live up to the quality of the central performance.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I used to run a Coming Soon article for years but since I stopped doing that stuff my experience of watching new films is vastly improved. I’ve gone in totally blind to dozens of films (albeit as a reviewer so not paying my own cash) - no idea if they’re about male ballerinas in Soviet Russia, or monster alligators in Floridian basements. It’s so much better to see a film with no pre-conceptions. Much more fun. 

If you’re paying, or short on time, I realise it’s important to choose wisely, but judging a film from such little information, to me, is mad.
    JiMMy 85 said:

Yes, absolutely. All that matters is what happens from the opening to closing frame. If the move sells the concept of an ice-free Greenland to me, or if it’s an oversight than I can ignore and enjoy what the film is actually trying to do, then yep I’m fine with that. 

What I won’t do is judge the film based on what a marketing department/ trailer editing house has done with three minutes of footage and a catchy song! 
    I'll say this and leave it there.

If Greenland being ice free was a part of the film, then fine.  However, if it was an oversight, I'd have trouble with the rest of the film as I'd need the film to be consistent within itself.  In the same way, I can't summon up any interest in 1917 and indeed am actively turned away from it because everyone looks like they've just stepped off a parade ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw my first Korean film ever, Parasite.
    Raving reviews made me watch it and it certainly didn't disappoint.
    If you don't mind subtitles, watch it!
  • Options
    Danepak said:

I'm really looking forward to Parasite.  There's some top notch stuff in Korean cinema
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    I mentioned it here a couple of weeks ago. LOVED it.

Looking forward to people watching it, I'm actually jealous of people that get to see it for the first time.

Only thing I'll say is if you're planning on seeing it don't read too many reviews....incredibly I've seen some that mention a massive spoiler in them.
  • Options
    For Sama
    Watched this last night. Incredible documentary by a journalist living in Aleppo during 2016 and the 5 years previous to that. 
    It’s heavy going, and certainly hasn’t been censored, with a lot of the film based in a makeshift hospital. 

Certainly recommend it. Currently free on channel 4 online. 
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    The original Oldboy is excellent, if you're looking for more adventures in Korean cinema.
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    The original Oldboy is excellent, if you're looking for more adventures in Korean cinema.
    Oldboy is already next on the list of films to watch. Read about it, when I read a preview about Parasite.
  • Options
    Parasite’s director made two of my all-time favourites - Memories of Murder and The Host. 
  • Options

despite my being put off by the trailer and Ms AA not liking war films, we went to see this this evening. 

There are a couple of silly bits but it’s a superb piece of film making by Memdes and Deakin. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020

despite my being put off by the trailer and Ms AA not liking war films, we went to see this this evening. 

There are a couple of silly bits but it’s a superb piece of film making by Memdes and Deakin. 
    I’m glad you enjoyed it AA. Going to see on Sunday.

How did you find the single continual shot?
  • Options
    Saw 1917 tonight at the imax. Leicester Square. It doesn’t disappoint, if that doesn’t win an award or two I’ll be very surprised.