Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Saw 1917 tonight. Thought it was excellent. The single continual shot made it pretty intense. 
  • Options
    Little Women reminded me of Derry Girls. But I've always been a bit weird.
  • Options
    Saw 1917 tonight at the imax. Leicester Square. It doesn’t disappoint, if that doesn’t win an award or two I’ll be very surprised

It has already won two most important awards at this year's Golden Globes: Best Picture and Best Director. It was a bit surprising to some people though. 
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Saw 1917 tonight at the imax. Leicester Square. It doesn’t disappoint, if that doesn’t win an award or two I’ll be very surprised

It has already won two most important awards at this year's Golden Globes: Best Picture and Best Director. It was a bit surprising to some people though. 
    I should have been more specific.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Watched The Irishman on Netflix and loved it. I was finally getting used to the 'de-aging' effects until Pacino's first scene as the young Jimmy Hoffa, when it looked like we were watching PS3 game footage.

Watched The Irishman at the weekend. Very good
    Just watched it, was a little disappointed & feel like they could have done better with that cast, budget and run time*. 

*its still a good film & worth seeing, I maybe just had unrealistic expectations. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Try to not get too caught up in the hype of films anymore, if that’s at all possible.

This did show the squalor, the rats, quite an immersive story, like you were in the movie, the thing that came across to me was the sheer waste of lives for a cause.

Forgot to add, it was 1917 I went to watch.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    hawksmoor said:
    Watched The Irishman on Netflix and loved it. I was finally getting used to the 'de-aging' effects until Pacino's first scene as the young Jimmy Hoffa, when it looked like we were watching PS3 game footage.

Watched The Irishman at the weekend. Very good
    Just watched it, was a little disappointed & feel like they could have done better with that cast, budget and run time*. 

*its still a good film & worth seeing, I maybe just had unrealistic expectations. 
    I watched it a few weeks ago and felt exactly the same. It's a good film but not as great as I expected. I was binging Boardwalk Empire at the same time and was excited to see quite a few Boardwalk actors in The Irishman. Stephen Graham basically played the same kind of character in both.... but very well of course. When I finished The Irishman I went straight back to watching Boardwalk Empire. The series had a quite similar feel to it (Martin Scorsese you know) but was just much better than the film and had a faster pace. My mum fell asleep in the middle of watching The Irishman with me but got excited again when I put Boardwalk back on.  :D
  • Options
    Saw 1917 today. Highly recommend it.
  • Options
    Saw 1917 yesterday. I was a bit disappointed. It was all a bit too surreal for me.
    But, I'm sure the scenes as depicted near and around the front line were pretty accurate. Total carnage.

Interestingly, the person I went with liked it a lot. She said it was like how life is. The challenges. People supporting you. People letting you down. The tenderness. The turbulence. I kind of got that - a bit.  
  • Options
    Saw 1917 straight after yesterday’s game. Went from being on a super high to being reminded what a nightmare mankind faced in the 1st WW. Kind of wanted more action, but you also got enough to remind you of the horror of it, while it taking you on an interesting enough journey. Wouldn’t rush to see it a second time, but will watch it when released digitally. 8/10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not new but currently watching the Babadook.

jeezus! Think I’ll be sleeping with the bathroom light on tonight!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    SX_Addick said:
    Saw 1917 tonight. Thought it was excellent. The single continual shot made it pretty intense. 
    Apparently it’s not actually a single continuous shot, but it’s made to look like it is. Looking forward to seeing if I can spot the joins (there are only a few) when I see it today. 
  • Options
    Not new but currently watching the Babadook.

jeezus! Think I’ll be sleeping with the bathroom light on tonight!
    That's my film....... glad you like!
  • Options
    Carter said:
    The Gentlemen 

8/10 

Hugh Grant is excellent in it, like steals the show excellent. It isn't going to win any awards but I really enjoyed it. All Guy Ritchie's films look good and this did too. The plot doesn't rip up any trees but serves to move things along well. Colin Farrell also steals every scene he is in 

A lot of dickheads in the screening, some prick was vaping, another couple of slags kept talking to each other to the point I asked them to give it a rest. Also the number of people who piss around with their phones in the cinema would be punished by death if I was to ever be in a seat of power. 

Film was good, audience a sack of cum
    By far the best Ritchie film I've seen and wotth seeing for the performances of Farrell and Grant. Some very funny dialogue.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    The Gentlemen 

8/10 

Hugh Grant is excellent in it, like steals the show excellent. It isn't going to win any awards but I really enjoyed it. All Guy Ritchie's films look good and this did too. The plot doesn't rip up any trees but serves to move things along well. Colin Farrell also steals every scene he is in 

A lot of dickheads in the screening, some prick was vaping, another couple of slags kept talking to each other to the point I asked them to give it a rest. Also the number of people who piss around with their phones in the cinema would be punished by death if I was to ever be in a seat of power. 

By far the best Ritchie film I've seen and wotth seeing for the performances of Farrell and Grant. Some very funny dialogue.
    Better than Lock Stock and Snatch ?!
  • Options
    Carter said:
    The Gentlemen 

8/10 

Never seen Lock Stock... and thought Snatch was a dreadful film.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    The Gentlemen 

8/10 

That’s why I don’t go to the cinema anymore. I’m not tolerant enough if the modern day arsehole. I just get wound up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jumanji 2

Caught this yesterday, and I wish we'd done it Boxing Day instead of the dire Little Women, which was a real bummer after the Bristol City win. Jumanji is a rolling ride, a lot of fun, doesn't take itself too seriously, and cracking family entertainment. To follow on from the comments above, we treated ourselves to VIP seats, and had to move a grumpy family out of them who had simply moved in with normal tickets, and simply relocated to some other VIP seats, and then chatted all the way through the film. To be fair, it's a bit of a norm for family films - there are always kids who talk, with the exception of the Pixels movie which was so bad it silenced everyone.

Anyway, Jumanji 2 is good fun, and while I couldn't see what they could squeeze out of a sequel after the first one, they actually did a better job. They also left a huge opening for Jumanji 3.

8/10

• Options
    Carter said:
    The Gentlemen 

8/10 

Snatch Dreadful ?? Blimey . 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    The Gentlemen 

8/10 

Snatch Dreadful ?? Blimey . 
    Brad Pitt made it unwatchable for me.
  • Options
    Had me drawn in certainly beyond the halfway mark but then I started to drift a bit and nit pick a couple of points.

Shame really as I thought the film tried to portray scenes of trench warfare in their true horror.

Despite that, I would still give it a 8/10 and recommend it.
  • Options
    Saw the visual feast that is 1917. Some of the camera work is fantastic. So good that after a while you are waiting for the next trick in continual shots. No man's land and the German trench system were brilliantly laid out. But all the visual wonder got a little tedious as the film went on. At least they appear to have employed more extras than were in Dunkirk. Can't quite fathom the title of the film as the story is about a (fictionalised) buddy story involving two Tommies on the Somme, not any of the true awful drama played out in Flanders later that year.    
  • Options
    Try to not get too caught up in the hype of films anymore, if that’s at all possible.

This did show the squalor, the rats, quite an immersive story, like you were in the movie, the thing that came across to me was the sheer waste of lives for a cause.

Forgot to add, it was 1917 I went to watch.
    I didn't think it was Little Women.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    SX_Addick said:
    Apparently it’s not actually a single continuous shot, but it’s made to look like it is. Looking forward to seeing if I can spot the joins (there are only a few) when I see it today. 
    The joins are obvious but only if you think to look for them, which I did having heard there was a single shot effect.  I would say he'd have been better off just shooting it normally rather than going the arty-farty clever dick way.
  • Options
    Saw the visual feast that is 1917. Some of the camera work is fantastic. So good that after a while you are waiting for the next trick in continual shots. No man's land and the German trench system were brilliantly laid out. But all the visual wonder got a little tedious as the film went on. At least they appear to have employed more extras than were in Dunkirk. Can't quite fathom the title of the film as the story is about a (fictionalised) buddy story involving two Tommies on the Somme, not any of the true awful drama played out in Flanders later that year.    
    I thought the film referred to the German withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line in February and March 1917.  Also, the British soldiers talked about some of the Somme action has being 'last year'.  Given that, 1917 makes sense as the title.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited January 2020
    The Two Popes, saw it yesterday, Jonathan Pryce is outstanding 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    The Two Popes, saw it yesterday, Christopher Pryce is outstanding 
    Academy Nominated for best actor today  . Won’t win though - that’s the nailed on category - Joaquin Phoenix all day long .