Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• edited July 2023
    Just watched Extraction 2 on Netflix.

Not bad, more of a beer and popcorn Saturday night movie that goes at a pace which is bloody exhausting for the first hour. Not an academy award winner but okay. 
    Just watched it. Pile of shite.

Some of the action scenes were impressive, but they went on for so long in the end I didn't really care if the "good guys" died or not.

And how many times can one man get shot, stabbed, blown up, be involved in car crashes, train crashes and still walk away. Yeah, yeah, I know that's just how this type of film is meant to be but it's just exhausting and overall a pretty poor film.
  • Off_it said:

Not bad, more of a beer and popcorn Saturday night movie that goes at a pace which is bloody exhausting for the first hour. Not an academy award winner but okay. 

Some of the action scenes were impressive, but they went on for so long in the end I didn't really care if the "good guys" died or not.

And how many times can one man get shot, stabbed, blown up, be involved in car crashes, train crashes and still walk away. Yeah, yeah, I know that's just how this type of film is meant to be but it's just exhausting and overall a pretty poor film.
    *****SPOILER ALERT !!! ******
  • Off_it said:

How so?

It was a generic comment. People were getting shot, stabbed, blown up, etc multiple times and just carrying on like it was a scratch.
  • Off_it said:

I would look forward to a film like this a few years ago. But now have totally lost interest in this genre. The lead character never gets killed so basically there's nothing new or interesting there. A formulaic type of film just slightly more realistic than the superhero franchises I would assume.

Or maybe I should post this on the "You know you're getting old when..." thread instead🤣
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

How so?

It was a generic comment. People were getting shot, stabbed, blown up, etc multiple times and just carrying on like it was a scratch.
    Bit touchy this morning, Offy ! 

SO sorry - should have put a smiley face .
  • If it turned out that Extraction II was produced entirely by AI I would not be surprised. It is almost 100% derivative.

Ever since John Wick we're seeing more and more movies driven by the stunt co-ordinators. I knew before I looked that this one would have been directed by a former stunts guy. They're good visual storytellers, but they're not much cop when it comes to adding anything new to a story. Just something new to stunts. 

And the stunts are amazing, even better than most of us will realise (they'll do a stunt breakdown on Corridor Crew and it will be hugely impressive) but the script is designed purely to drive more fights and action. And it's almost entirely built on tropes and cliches from a million other films. There's no effort to do anything remotely interesting with the plot or any of the characters. The bad guy's son is the best example of this, while the bad guy himself is driven by such a simple idea that it doesn't jive with what he gives up to achieve his goal. 

As Mr Grumpy said above, the amount of bullets and knives some people take in that film is so stupid that I think it just comes down to laziness. It's lazy to say "well it's an action movie, deal with it!" when it's just not necessary to paint the story into a corner like that. 

It's entertaining and very competently produced but I did get bored and watch it in three sittings.  
  • I thought the opening act of Indy 5 was excellent. I am not enamoured with where they put the character, but that's okay. The prelude sequence and the call to action were all very good. Some of it is a bit forgettable, which is unusual for an Indy movie, and I wasn't a fan of the final sequence but based on the reviews and the fact that it's bombing at the box office I was expecting a lot worse. It's way, way better than Crystal Skull at least! I mostly thought it was strange that they didn't build on Indy's retirement or age a great deal. It's referenced a bit but I thought they would embrace his age a lot more which makes it feel a bit hollow. It was a chance to put a seal on the franchise and I don't think they took it.  3/6

• I've been looking forward to Oppenheimer because a. I'm a Nolan fan and b. haven't been to the cinema due to Covid for quite a long time. But it looks like I'll have to watch it at home later this year: I automatically assumed this film would be released in China because every Nolan film since Inception was but then last week I noticed a lack of releasing information and then today I learned that it has explicit sex scenes (unusual for a Nolan film)... guess that basically kills the possibility of a theatrical release here. *sigh*
  • Got round to seeing Asteroid City last night and thought it was pretty poor IMO, I generally quite like Wes Anderson films but don't love them but this one was just a bit too much for me. 

Probably didn't help that we watched Isle of Dogs on Saturday night which I hadn't seen before and I absolutely loved that. Think it's my favourite of all of his films now
  • Sponsored links:

• Just back from seeing Indiana Jones.
    So glad I made the effort to go & see it at the cinema (40mins away).
    It had everything you want from a Jones film with lovely nods to previous adventures.
    The ending got me right in the heart.

Wonderful 🥰
    I agree. Went to see it last Sat with my youngest daughter. We both found it very entertaining and it never lagged at all. I thought ending was great.
  • Asteroid city!!!
    Awful Awful Awful film! 1-45 of my life I won't get back! Stellar cast but bloody hell if there was some kind of subtle nuances I am obviously too thick to get it!!

I enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom 
  • Grovenuts said:
    Asteroid city!!!
    Awful Awful Awful film! 1-45 of my life I won't get back! Stellar cast but bloody hell if there was some kind of subtle nuances I am obviously too thick to get it!!

I avoid anything made by Wes Anderson ever since I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel years ago😆
  • I refuse to believe anyone likes Wes Anderson films apart from Wes Anderson.
  • Jessie said:
    Grovenuts said:
    Asteroid city!!!

I avoid anything made by Wes Anderson 
    fixed that for you.
  • Marketing budget for Barbie must be crazy, seeing it absolutely everywhere.

Saw the trailer the other day whilst taking the kids to see Elemental, and it looks awful, but they've created the hype well.
  • Marketing budget for Barbie must be crazy, seeing it absolutely everywhere.

Saw the trailer the other day whilst taking the kids to see Elemental, and it looks awful, but they've created the hype well.
    I really don't get the fuss about it. I even saw Oscar nomination being discussed about Ryan Gosling for his performance in this movie. I mean what the hell? He plays a doll.😂😂😂
  • Barbie is getting the kind of marketing campaign you would want for any film. Rye Lane had a shrewd marketing campaign and managed to break a million in the box office, despite being relatively low budget. I'll never understand studios that spend millions producing films that they then cut adrift with no marketing campaign. The streaming model will definitely be compounding this issue.
  • Barbie is getting the kind of marketing campaign you would want for any film. Rye Lane had a shrewd marketing campaign and managed to break a million in the box office, despite being relatively low budget. I'll never understand studios that spend millions producing films that they then cut adrift with no marketing campaign. The streaming model will definitely be compounding this issue.
    HBO's Perry Mason season 2 springs to mind. It looks expensive and must have cost them a lot of money to make yet they did zero promotion for it. I really liked the series so it's a shame it didn't get to a wider audience due to lack of promotion and as a result it got cancelled.
  • Asteroid City. Visually very pretty, great cast, but all a bit “meh”. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    Visually very pretty, great cast, but all a bit “meh”. 
    Copy + paste review from any wes anderson movie ever.
  • Jessie said:
    Marketing budget for Barbie must be crazy, seeing it absolutely everywhere.

I really don't get the fuss about it. I even saw Oscar nomination being discussed about Ryan Gosling for his performance in this movie. I mean what the hell? He plays a doll.😂😂😂
    Have you seen it?
  • Mission Impossible - bloody brilliant.   Never guessed it was over 2 hours.   Loved it.   Mr Cruise really is at the top of his game still.   Excited for Barbie - the industry word on it is phenomenal - but I usually hate Greta Gerwig - always have done, so it might end up being a little too "smart" for the mainstream - however, the marketing has been spot on.   The pre order for tickets huge.   I love Ryan Gosling too, so I'm definitely going to watch it with the missus.

Excited for the Meg 2 also.   Statham and sharks.   Can't beat them!
  • Jessie said:
    Marketing budget for Barbie must be crazy, seeing it absolutely everywhere.

Have you seen it?
    No. I know where this is going... 'You don't judge a film you haven't seen' etc. But I won't be seeing it ever because I've seen the trailer and thought it looked ridiculous. I always think Ryan Gosling is a great actor and should've already won at least one Oscar; Margot Robbie was amazing in I, Tonya and rightly deserved her Oscar nomination; I've watched only one Greta Gerwig film Lady Bird and thought it was OK. However my feelings towards this Barbie film are similar to how Scorsese felt about superhero franchises - which was well explained in his long op-ed on NYT - albeit I suppose Barbie is more interesting and 'innovative'. I'm sure I'm far from the only one that thinks it looks ridiculous and has no interest. :D
  • supaclive said:
    Mission Impossible - bloody brilliant.   Never guessed it was over 2 hours.   Loved it.   Mr Cruise really is at the top of his game still.   Excited for Barbie - the industry word on it is phenomenal - but I usually hate Greta Gerwig - always have done, so it might end up being a little too "smart" for the mainstream - however, the marketing has been spot on.   The pre order for tickets huge.   I love Ryan Gosling too, so I'm definitely going to watch it with the missus.

Excited for the Meg 2 also.   Statham and sharks.   Can't beat them!
    Very long stick recommended.
  • Margot in it. I must watch it. 
  • I saw the Barbie trailer when seeing Indiana Jones.
    I clearly live in a different time zone as I had no idea it was even a thing.
    Then when I saw the actors who were actually in it I thought WTAF 😳 

Absolute nonsense and I doubt I’ll ever see it, even by accident.
    Gosling was Fred in the Scooby Doo stuff wasn’t he? So he has previous for dipping his toe in nonsense but Robbie?
    Very odd.

Gosling was Fred in the Scooby Doo stuff wasn’t he? So he has previous for dipping his toe in nonsense but Robbie?
    Very odd.
    Freddie Prinze Jr. Gosling if off the hook on that one.

Very odd.
    Freddie Prinze Jr. Gosling if off the hook on that one.
    Ahhh sorry, my mistake 🙏🏻