Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• We saw an Anime called 'Suzume' in the cinema this weekend, it was pretty bonkers but enjoyable. Still not sure on what was going on for a few bits/characters in it though!
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3

Went to see it with my daughters - an enjoyable and entertaining watch. Lot better than I expected.
    Watched this last night. Felt a bit messy but an enjoyable film overall. A lot better than a lot of the Marvel output since Endgame but that's not difficult.
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3

Went to see it with my daughters - an enjoyable and entertaining watch. Lot better than I expected.
    Do you need to have seen and be familiar with the previous films to fully enjoy this one or does it stand up on its own?
  • meldrew66 said:
    Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3

Do you need to have seen and be familiar with the previous films to fully enjoy this one or does it stand up on its own?
    It was okay for me without seeing the previous films.
  • edited May 2023
    Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant. I absolutely loved the first hour or so of this film, had me totally mesmerised. Then it went a bit James Bond. Still a film I really enjoyed and thought about since.
  • Got a Sky movie freebie last week - Shazam. Not normally our cup of tea, but free and my Wife and I really enjoyed it. So a few days after we went to watch the follow on at the cinema "Shazam Fury of the Gods". Again really enjoyed it and would recomend both to anyone who likes that type of thing.
  • Just watched 23 Walks on Netflix.
    Lovely wee film where the stars were most definitely Tilly (a GSD) & Henry (a Yorkie).

Very easy watch.
  • edited May 2023
    Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant. I absolutely loved the first hour or so of this film, had me totally mesmerised. Then it went a bit James Bond. Still a film I really enjoyed and thought about since.
    I watched this film last Sunday and enjoyed it. The plot doesn't seem entirely realistic but nevertheless a very well made film and definitely worth a watch. By the way, it doesn't look like a typical Guy Ritchie film at all.😆
  • Crater - Disney's latest offering.

Think 'Stand By Me' but in space. Good little family movie.
  • Super Mario Bros - 6/10 - Watchable, as i have always been into all the games, i thought it would be a bit better and i would get into more than i did. Still not terrible 

Evil Dead Rise 7/10 - Quite enjoyed this, a bit crazy and farfetched, not scary but worth a watch.

• Sponsored links:

• saw Super Mario last night. Had not planned to, but went in open minded. Enjoyed it, it flew by and offered up a fair few laughs along the way. Thought these brother characters were supposed to be Italian (ridiculously haven’t played the game), but looks like they are Americans with Italian heritage? My boy thought they should be Italian hence why I am asking…

SISU is a film which interests me. Anybody seen it? 
  • Fast & Furious.

Well it certainly was fast, and furious.

You know what your’re getting to a point with this genre, park your brain at the door, and away you go, certainly ridiculous at points, but I enjoyed it, and would see it again, 2 more films to make in the series.
  • saw Super Mario last night. Had not planned to, but went in open minded. Enjoyed it, it flew by and offered up a fair few laughs along the way. Thought these brother characters were supposed to be Italian (ridiculously haven’t played the game), but looks like they are Americans with Italian heritage? My boy thought they should be Italian hence why I am asking…

Yeah, I personally really enjoyed it. Very over the top with its blood and gore but I thought it was an engaging watch. You get the vibe that the director was inspired in a similar manner that Tarantino was when he directed Inglorious Bastards. 
  • mart77 said:
    saw Super Mario last night. Had not planned to, but went in open minded. Enjoyed it, it flew by and offered up a fair few laughs along the way. Thought these brother characters were supposed to be Italian (ridiculously haven’t played the game), but looks like they are Americans with Italian heritage? My boy thought they should be Italian hence why I am asking…

Yeah, I personally really enjoyed it. Very over the top with its blood and gore but I thought it was an engaging watch. You get the vibe that the director was inspired in a similar manner that Tarantino was when he directed Inglorious Bastards. 
    Thanks @m@mart77 Will give it a watch. 👍🏻
  • Watched Return to Seoul at the cinema the other day. Really enjoyed it. The main character was fascinating and despite being an arthouse film, there were some gripping moments as she rediscovered her biological family. Hard to believe the main actress hadn't acted before. 
  • The Killers of the Flower Moon - new Scorsese and Di Caprio film got a NINE minute standing ovation in Cannes. That could mean anything but the trailer looks good.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Also enjoyed Menu. 
    Saw Adam Driver in White Noise. Interesting interpretation of the cult novel, slightly pretentious, definitely a little too long, but possibly the best closing credits I’ve ever seen. 
    Watched White Noise last night.
    I agree about the closing credits. I’ve never heard of the book but I don’t think I’ll be rushing out to read it.
    I think I enjoyed spotting all the 80’s advertising more than the storyline tbh 🤷‍♀️
  • Air, the thing about shoes. Performances and storytelling good enough so that you mostly forget this is a film about getting someone to wear one type of shoe instead of two other types. On Prime, TV is where it belomgs really.
  • The Killers of the Flower Moon - new Scorsese and Di Caprio film got a NINE minute standing ovation in Cannes. That could mean anything but the trailer looks good.
    The book is excellent
  • Air is an interesting one. It's a movie about an underdog company that changed the industry so there is a story there. But it has to get us to root for the biggest sportswear brand on the planet as an underdog. And it may well be that Nike were a relatively small company back in the mid-80s, but I have only ever known them as a leading brand (and I got my first pair in 1986), so it's really hard to feel that underdog spirit for them. And when, ultimately, it's about a marketing team having a successful marketing campaign, with the pivotal speech coming from a marketeer talking marketing bullshit. I have to say, I didn't really give a fuck. 

Affleck directed it, and he really can make a compelling true story movie, but this wasn't exactly hard work for him, especially as it mostly relies on a solid cast, most notably Matt Damon doing a very good impersonation of a chubby bloke. 

• Sponsored links:

think i remember reading di caprio came away from filming convinced it was the best work him and scrosese had done together. Got high hopes for it.
  • Full Time (A Plein Temps)
    Saw this today before the sun came out. Tense film about an overstretched single mother in Paris working an unforgiving job for which she's overqualified while juggling kids, childcare, money worries, transport strikes and an unsupportive ex. Filmed in the style of a thriller with very little in the way of relief, it's unrelenting, filled with bleeping alarm clocks, demanding children and running from train to bus to tube that anyone who's commuted will identify with. It conveys the stress and repetitiveness of the daily grind in a bleak, rainy city - no touristy shots in this. It sounds terrible, but I found myself rooting for the character (Laure Calamy, who I've never seen before) and hoping she could improve her situation. I enjoyed sitting in the dark with a beer and the 90 minutes run time is about right - it passed quickly. A solid 7.            

• Loved ‘The Whale’. Great acting, interesting story and very well made. 10/10
  • Dungeons & Dragons-Honour among theives (not sure where as on stick) 8/10
    Really good fantasy movie, i hadn't really seen much about it but would recommend it for anyone who likes a good fantasy film, really good cast
  • Hypnotic - Ben Afflecks new film. It’s a pretty cool idea with a couple of nice twists. I’m sure there are plenty of holes in the story and Inception it’s not but it’s a decent watch.
  • meldrew66 said:
    Loved ‘The Whale’. Great acting, interesting story and very well made. 10/10
    One of the most overrated films I have ever seen. Samantha Morton was truly awful and I found the film embarrassing to watch.
  • Across The Spiderverse - if you've seen and enjoyed the first one then you'll like this one too, if not you'll be utterly baffled a few minutes in.

That said as a visual experience and a sheer feat of animation this is one of the greatest films I've seen. The fact it has an interesting (albeit very "comic book") plot and good character work as well is just so much the better.

9/10 for me - the point only being dropped for it very obviously being part one of a two part piece. Literally nothing gets resolved at all.
  • The Champions - Good feel good fun.
  • thenewbie said:
    Across The Spiderverse - if you've seen and enjoyed the first one then you'll like this one too, if not you'll be utterly baffled a few minutes in.

That said as a visual experience and a sheer feat of animation this is one of the greatest films I've seen. The fact it has an interesting (albeit very "comic book") plot and good character work as well is just so much the better.

9/10 for me - the point only being dropped for it very obviously being part one of a two part piece. Literally nothing gets resolved at all.
    A 3rd film comes out next year I believe.
  • edited June 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Across The Spiderverse - if you've seen and enjoyed the first one then you'll like this one too, if not you'll be utterly baffled a few minutes in.

A 3rd film comes out next year I believe.
    It does, they started working on it during this one's editing/post-production so the gap will be smaller. I'm really looking forward to it.