Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• If you haven’t seen Living, starring Bill Nighy I would highly recommend it. Best British film I’ve seen for some time.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9051908/
  • Watched The Founder last night, the story of how McDonald’s was formed. It’s seven years old but well worth a watch 

A solid 8 out of 10
  • Watched Air in the week.  Thoroughly recommended.   Script was funny, tight and entertaining.

Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Jason Bateman all excellent.

A film that you know the ending of yet gripped throughout. 

• My daughter and I went to see Renfield on Friday. Gory as hell but great fun. Nicholas Cage camping it up as Dracula was great.
  • se9addick said:
    If you haven’t seen Living, starring Bill Nighy I would highly recommend it. Best British film I’ve seen for some time.

My partner and I booked to see this at the BFI about a month ago. Unfortunately she didn't check the booking and what we actually got was the original black and white subtitled Japanese version from 1952. It was actually pretty good....

• se9addick said:
    If you haven’t seen Living, starring Bill Nighy I would highly recommend it. Best British film I’ve seen for some time.

My partner and I booked to see this at the BFI about a month ago. Unfortunately she didn't check the booking and what we actually got was the original black and white subtitled Japanese version from 1952. It was actually pretty good....

Amazing! Sounds like a fortuitous mistake.
  • se9addick said:

Loved this film. 
  • edited April 2023
    se9addick said:

I enjoyed it. The wife hated it. It’s rare that we have such polarising taste.
  • se9addick said:

Where can you watch this please?
  • se9addick said:

Where can you watch this please?
    I watched it on Amazon 
  • Sponsored links:

• Seven kings must die - the film finale of the last kingdom. Remained consistent in standard with the show, a fun watch like the show if you’re into that period of history. Bit unsure with the creative decision to make a historical figure gay though. 
  • Converting a successful series and truncating the normal 10 hour runtime of the series into a 2 hour film was always going to be a struggle and the end it result felt rushed and pretty disappointing.

Seven Kings Must Die would have been much better as a sixth series to develop the characters - not sure of the reasons behind the choice to make it into a film instead. It was nice to see Uhtred and a smattering of characters from the series even if they were just thrown in with a couple of lines and it at least leaves the show wrapped up.
  • Converting a successful series and truncating the normal 10 hour runtime of the series into a 2 hour film was always going to be a struggle and the end it result felt rushed and pretty disappointing.

Seven Kings Must Die would have been much better as a sixth series to develop the characters - not sure of the reasons behind the choice to make it into a film instead. It was nice to see Uhtred and a smattering of characters from the series even if they were just thrown in with a couple of lines and it at least leaves the show wrapped up.
    Definitely a rushed and somewhat messy conclusion to what was a very good period series. 

As for the introduction of a gay couple, I don't have any issues with being gay, I've got dearly loved family members who are, however it's Netflix pandering to what it perceives as a fashionable audience. It seems every Netflix production they put out at the moment has a gay couple wedged into it...on this occasion it was clumsy, poorly told and somewhat unnecessary in my opinion. 
  • Beast - Idris Elba vs a lion seeking revenge. Pretty much just that premise will tell you if it's a film you are interested in or not. Not one to think too deeply about but worse ways to kill a couple of hours and mostly avoids characters doing blatantly stupid things just so they can be killed.
  • Two films today. Rye Lane, definitely worth your time, cleverly written rom com, and Harold Lloyd's Safety Last, 100 years old and still fab. 
    I like that double bill! Would def agree on Rye Lane, a great film to see at the cinema, doubly good if you can see it in South London. 
    Tripley good at PeckhamPlex on Rye Lane.
  • Chunes said:
    Watched Licorice Pizza on Amazon Prime this weekend, the Paul Thomas Anderson film. Didn't realise until the end that the female lead is Alana Haim, from the band HAIM (with her family played by her real family), she is fantastic! Her co-star is also Phillip Seymour-Hoffman's son. It's a lovely film about growing up and falling in love in 70's Los Angeles with a few big laughs.   

meldrew66 said:
    se9addick said:

I enjoyed it. The wife hated it. It’s rare that we have such polarising taste.
    We watched Licorice Pizza when it came out.  I really enjoyed it, Ms AA really didn't.  It's quite common that we have such polarised views.  (I didn't realise at the time that Licorice Pizza is slang for an LP).

Anyway, on to last night.  Went to see How to Blow Up a Pipeline.

Special Branch were there, taking photos of all the punters.

It's an interesting film, well acted, mainly by people I'd never heard of before.  I would say it wears its environmentalist heart on its sleeve but makes the case that there aren't any easy answers.  Well worth a watch.

Watched it today. Agree about character development but that was always going to be a struggle with only a couple of hours to play with.
    Never a big fan of a film off the back of a long running series. It never does them justice.
    Al in all I thought it was ok.

Watched it today. Agree about character development but that was always going to be a struggle with only a couple of hours to play with.
    Never a big fan of a film off the back of a long running series. It never does them justice.
    Al in all I thought it was ok.
    This is my worry about the Peaky Blinders film.
  • Watched the Portable Door. Was entertaining enough but was a tad disapointing given the acting talent. I understand the book it is based on is all about the wit in the telling so a narrator may have helped. 6.5 out of 10.
  • Went to see A Thousand and One last night, possibly the best new film I’ve seen this year   (https://m.imdb.com/title/tt12427158/).
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched Nobody on Netflix last night, if you like a good bit of action this is a must to watch, Easily an 8 out of 10 .
  • Finally watched Red Sparrow -  Good movie and Jennifer Lawrence acted really well in it. Few too many Americans being Russians, but well worth the watch.
  • No Time to Die premiered on RTE One last night.

I’ve never liked Craig as Bond. Hubby is his number one fan.

First time we both agreed.

Worst modern Bond film ever.
    Absolute pile of steaming poo.
  • Peter Pan and Wendy - the latest "live remake" courtesy of Disney. Putting the debate about remakes in general aside I actually thought this one wasn't too bad, and did actually try to add something new rather than just retreading old ground.

Only real problem is Peter (the character and the actor) is pretty dull, Jude Law is trying for a more "human" Hook but honestly needs just a bit more ham and both overshadowed by Wendy who was actually very good but can't save the whole film.

6/10, solid enough but not spectacular.
  • Watched My Neighbour Adolf on Sky Cinema last night. Really enjoyed it. Has a bit of a Wes Anderson feel to it. Black comedy, but is actually pretty touching in places. Holocaust survivor who has settled in Brazil in the 1960s becomes convinced that Hitler has moved in next door and sets out to prove it.
  • Watched the film ‘The unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry’ there’s  been lots of trailers on the Telly, and on the surface there are laughs to be had, but he lost his son to suicide, so wouldn’t recommend to anyone that has been through this, I didn’t realise this was going to be in the film.
  • Saw today One Fine Morning French film by director Mia Hansen Love which has just come out. Superb, one of best new films I've seen for a long time. Lea Seydoux is great in it. Real warmness to it but very sad at the same time. Like a continuation/saga of life. 
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3

Went to see it with my daughters - an enjoyable and entertaining watch. Lot better than I expected.
  • edited May 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Peter Pan and Wendy - the latest "live remake" courtesy of Disney. Putting the debate about remakes in general aside I actually thought this one wasn't too bad, and did actually try to add something new rather than just retreading old ground.

Only real problem is Peter (the character and the actor) is pretty dull, Jude Law is trying for a more "human" Hook but honestly needs just a bit more ham and both overshadowed by Wendy who was actually very good but can't save the whole film.

6/10, solid enough but not spectacular.
    We watched that with the kids, agree on about 6/10, fine, just a bit dull.

Then we watched Hook, I loved it as a kid but always assumed I was just the right age and it's probably shite.

Still loved it now.  Dustin Hoffman is so good as Hook.
  • Saw The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry yesterday. Me and only two others in cinema. Maybe I'm not target audience but I found it very cheesy.