Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Leave the World Behind was almost as long as Napoleon, unlike Napoleon i didn't want it to end.
    Plenty of suspense, a Black Mirror esq film with a good ending, even if it was predictable.
    We've been recommending this one to friends & family.
  • Options
    I didn’t like Saltburn. Weird film, not my cup of tea.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Carter said:
    I've just finished watching Saltburn 

8/10 

Everyone acts well in it, the twist I did not see coming and its not the "big" twist at the end most people will think I'm a bit thick for not getting. 

I did think I was going to throw up at least twice during it. 

It’s not really a twist . It’s just a character trait that unfolds throughout that you don’t see at the beginning. 
    I agree about some of those scenes  . Especially the bath one . 
    How good is Barry Keoghan though. Brilliant performance 

it’s a film that’s stuck in my head since I watched it a couple of weeks ago and that’s usually a good sign in my opinion . 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Leave the World Behind was almost as long as Napoleon, unlike Napoleon i didn't want it to end.
    Plenty of suspense, a Black Mirror esq film with a good ending, even if it was predictable.
    We've been recommending this one to friends & family.
    I really enjoy it. Loved the final scene . 
  • Options
    Saltburn the other night and Wonka tonight.

Two big thumbs up on both from me. Good films, both worth watching.
  • Options
    Watched the first 30 mins of Saltburn with my mum on Christmas day. Big mistake. Two repulsive scenes in that first part. But its very atmospheric and up to then I'd enjoyed the 'set up', I.e. some of the ideas put in place so i was intrigued as to where it was going.

Finished the rest last night on my own. It had a few amusing bits later on, reminding me that it is a comedy. And one more pretty repulsive scene at a grave. Overall no great shakes. Didnt really get anywhere that justified its lavishness and vast production crew. It felt like a film that ate itself. 2/10 for me.
  • Options
    i watched Saltburn with my 13 year old son and my mum and her partner. Slightly challenging cross generational audience but it wasn't a film anyone fell asleep in after dinner and although I kind of agree the shocking scenes were a bit gratuitous in the main it was still a decent dark comedy in the round with some extra nonsense to get everyone talking about it. Worth a watch. My son enjoyed it even if I have had to have a 30 minute debrief after 😂 
  • Options
    Went to the cinema last night with the wife, son and his girlfriend (both 16) and watched Anyone But You.

Been a while since I found any new Rom Com funny but it was surprisingly better than the trailer showed.   

I would fire the marketing team though on the basis the film is infinitely better than the trailer.

7/10 worth a date night.
  • Options
    Saltburn. Very good plot that I didn't see coming 2/3rds of the way through. 

Very well acted by all even though the Parents were totally cringeworthy... I've actually met a few toffs very much of that ilk in the past. 
    Barry Keoghan was very good following up his cameo in Top Boy. 

7.5/10 from me 
  • Options
    Watched Avatar 2 yesterday. Thought it started ok but there was really no need for 3+ hours of it.
    Just found out they are making at least 2 more!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A few films watched over the Xmas period. 

Wonka. Just a really nice film to watch. Everyone is good in it.

Rebel Moon. Crap. Whether the directors cut would make any difference i don't know but its a mess of a film in its current format. 

Indiana Jones. Not too bad but they really should have just stopped at the 3rd film.
  • Options
    Went to see Next Goal Wins at the cinema yesterday. Based on the true story of Dutch manager Thomas Rongen taking on the American Samoa national team job, the worst team in the world. 

After the first 10 minutes I thought I was going to hate it. By the end I had gotten into it and really enjoyed it. It's from the director of Jojo Rabbit and set up as a comedy film.

I'd recommend watching the documentary, Next Goal Wins, as well. It really is quite the story. 

All in all, a decent film although I can see the humour getting on many peoples nerves.
  • Options
    We saw The Boy and the Heron in the cinema recently, the new Studio Ghibli film. Quite enjoyed and it was as beautiful to watch as all the Ghibli films tend to be but not my favourite story overall but still enjoyable. Probably a 6/10.
  • Options
    Prisoners daughter. 
    Interesting film with Kate Beckinsale playing the daughter and Brian Cox the prisoner with terminal cancer who can only get released if his estranged  daughter allows him to live with her under house arrest. 

7/10 it's on Prime 2023 release. 
  • Options

Glasshouse. Three women, a girl and a young man live in a protected bubble fending off people living in the rancid air of the outside world. Nice little twist in the plot. Worth a watch. It's on Prime 2022 release. 
    6/10
  • Options
    Long Story Short.
    Stumbled upon this again on Prime. A really funny story set in Sydney starring Raph Spall and the delightful Zarah Newman. Basic plot about how we can get absorbed in day to day life and miss out on all the more important things. 
    Long time since I laughed a lot watching a movie. 
    8/10

• Options
    Saltburn was okay. Just a little odd. 5.5/10
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Watched it last night and thought it was great!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    5.5 is harsh!
  • Options
    Saw Wonka on NYD with the family. Wasn't expecting much tbh but really enjoyed it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    5.5 is harsh!
    Not really, I never took to the main character and I felt like they were trying to get you to do that. 

Say what you want but for me, some of the scenes were needlessly obscene and didn't suggest that the character was what he was in my opinion. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    5.5 is harsh!
    Not really, I never took to the main character and I felt like they were trying to get you to do that. 

Say what you want but for me, some of the scenes were needlessly obscene and didn't suggest that the character was what he was in my opinion. 
    He was a pervert and a liar and that’s exactly what the scenes suggested. Oh well each to there own. 
  • Options
    5.5 is generous
  • Options
    5.5 is generous
    Probably is IMHO. I though it was trying too hard to be controversial, the parents were an unrealistic parody and the plot wasn't very credible - I couldn't understand how he could do all the things he does without the authorities getting involved. Looked lovely on the screen though and some of the acting was excellent.
  • Options
    Anyone seen, One Life, yet?
  • Options
    I've been looking forward to it for some time. The director James Hawes is the director of the first season of Slow Horses which I quite enjoyed. The subject matter is the major reason why I look forward to the film. And of course Anthony Hopkins is another big reason.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    I've been looking forward to it for some time. The director James Hawes is the director of the first season of Slow Horses which I quite enjoyed. The subject matter is the major reason why I look forward to the film. And of course Anthony Hopkins is another big reason.
    Same reasons for me  @Jessie and its Sir Anthony Hopkins, I'll have you know;)
  • Options
    edited January 5
    Seeing One Life tonight, will let you know. 

Was a thought provoking film. Another outstanding performance from Anthony Hopkins. 

• Options
    Society of Snow.

Really well made film about the Uruguayan rugby team crashing in the Andes in 1972. Incredible what they went through.