Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Lift.

Easy watch.

7/10
  • Options
    Boys in the boat. 

Based on a true story. 

Decent enough watch 7/10. Feel good sort of film. 
  • Options
    Saw Poor Things last night

Has to be one of the surrealist films I’ve ever seen, but it’s excellent, Emma Stone is absolutely brilliant, a very demanding role to play, Oscar worthy IMO
  • Options
    One Life was incredible, highly recommend.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Saw Poor Things last night

Has to be one of the surrealist films I’ve ever seen, but it’s excellent, Emma Stone is absolutely brilliant, a very demanding role to play, Oscar worthy 

Hopefully get to watch this soon looks good 👍 

• Options
    Lift.

Easy watch.

7/10
    Not bad but a bit up and down at times 
  • Options
    Saltburn 4/10 got itself into a position to be good failed 
  • Options
    Sorry if been mentioned before the last few pages, saw Godzilla minus one last weekend and absolutely loved it. Yes godzilla is in it (obviously) but so much more going on otherwise in the plot, characters and the music in particular is fantastic. It is Japanese subtitled but would recommend - similar to top gun maverick in many ways 
  • Options
    Just watched Napoleon 
    Decant film well Enjoyed it
  • Options
    I watched the Oscar and Golden Globe nominated Spanish film, Society of the Snow on Netflix.It's based upon the Uruguayan rugby team whose flight crashed in the Andes in 1972, leaving the survivors facing a desperate battle for survival. I thought it was well made but too long at 2 hours 24 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wellred said:
    Just watched Napoleon 
    Decant film well Enjoyed it
    I watched it last night too and enjoyed it. I thought Venessa Kirby was outstanding. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Got made to watch Leave the World Behind by my gf.

Now, I wasn’t expecting much, but oh my god what a complete load of bollocks.

In Julia Roberts and the mixed raced daughter, must be two of the most insufferable arseholes to ever grace a movie screen. 

The plot made little to no sense.

2 hours and 20 minutes of my life I’ll never get back and I don’t think I’ll forgive my missus for a while.
    Pretty much what I said, but seems many saw it very differently. 
    I really struggle to see how anyone had something positive to say about it. I’ve seen worse films but this one really irritated me.
    It was dogshit bad mate :)
  • Options
    TEL said:
    TEL said:

In Julia Roberts and the mixed raced daughter, must be two of the most insufferable arseholes to ever grace a movie screen. 

2 hours and 20 minutes of my life I’ll never get back and I don’t think I’ll forgive my missus for a while.
    I really struggle to see how anyone had something positive to say about it. I’ve seen worse films but this one really irritated me.
    Felt like the ending was begging for a sequel. They couldn't even give us a little bit of closure after sitting through 2 hours of shit.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    TEL said:

Felt like the ending was begging for a sequel. They couldn't even give us a little bit of closure after sitting through 2 hours of shit.
    yeah youre right and someone will waste good money on making it and pay Roberts and co some pension money.

• Options
    Saw Ferrari. Great racing sequences but a little long winded to start. 
    But Penelope Cruz is fantastic. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    TEL said:
    TEL said:

yeah youre right and someone will waste good money on making it and pay Roberts and co some pension money.

Maybe you all missed something and need to watch it again when you've forgotten the initial pain?
  • Options
    Watched Race for glory, over the weekend, one for rally fans of a certain era, I loved the action shots but not much of a film really.
  • Options
    I caught the new (ish) Hunger Games yesterday, after my daughter insisted. I have to say  I thought it was excellent. It stands alone fine from the firsth three movies, so you don't need to see the others. Interesting, nicely paced and the characters were generally well done apart form the villainess who was a little overdone. And surprisingly left room for a debate in the car home about what exactly had happened in part 3. Well worth a watch.
    8/10
  • Options
    I watched Michael Fassbender in the Killer at the weekend. What a drag...a story that goes nowhere very slowly.
  • Options
    Rare that I say that I really enjoyed a film but Amsterdam was excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I saw two very good films this week, both of which I'd recommend.

One Life - 8/10

The film is based on the true story of how a young British humanitarian, Nicholas Winton, helped evacuate and save nearly 700 Jewish children in Prague from the Nazis on the eve of World War II. An important story, with very good performances from, amongst others, Johnny Flynn and Anthony Hopkins. I found the film extremely moving.

Cairo Conspiracy (Egypt) - 8/10

A fisherman’s son is awarded a scholarship to study at Al-Azhar, the most esteemed Islamic university in the world, only to find himself a pawn in a conflict between Egypt's religious and political elites prior to the election of a new Grand Imam - a position of enormous political influence. 

I found it an excellent, well-paced and taut political thriller about the corruption of church and state and it reminded me of some of the 'paranoid' thrillers of the 1970s. I can see why it won the award for the Best Screenplay at Cannes in 2022 and also why it caused an uproar in Egypt, where it is banned. Its UK theatrical release was in April 2023 but I think it went largely under the radar. It's available on BFI Player and various other streaming platforms, including Amazon and Curzon.

• Options
    Watched French Exit last night.
    Loved it.
    Pfeiffer was gorgeously wonderful, there was a cameo from Danielle Macdonald of The Tourist fame & a kitty cat.
    Very enjoyable.
  • Options
    The Zone Of Interest.  

I was really up for this one, the story of a German family who had a house next to the infamous Auschwitz concentration camp.

I was walked in late and the screen was black, with really weird music playing, trying to set a scene, I guess.

Best advice I can give about this film, don’t bother with it’s a load of rubbish.

I don’t mind it had subtitles, but half way through the film , the screen when red, and yet more weird music, trying to have some sort of psychological effect.

If Michael Appleton made a film about Auschwitz, this would be it, pile of garbage, no connection, avoid and save yourself a couple of hours of your life.
  • Options
    The Beekeeper. 

Typical Jason Statham film. Harmless fun. Easy watch. 

6/10. 
  • Options
    Watched The Creator tonight.
    Bear in mind I was up at 2.30am for a 6am flight to Laaaaandan Taaaaan, had champagne for breakfast, a Greek feast followed by more pink fizz. I didn't fall asleep.
    But add to the fact I clearly didn't have to be at my sharpest to follow it.
    I enjoyed it.
    An easy watch to end a lovely day.
    I'm not thinking about the football. Don't mention it.
  • Options
    Saw Poor Things yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Weird and funny in equal measure. Excellent performances from Stone, Defoe and Ruffalo.
  • Options
    The Holdovers is absolutely brilliant. Feels like the role Paul Giamatti’s career has been building up to - he’s absolutely perfect for it.

If it wasn’t for Oppenheimer I would imagine it would be winning lots at the Oscars.

Highly recommended. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    The Holdovers is absolutely brilliant. Feels like the role Paul Giamatti’s career has been building up to - he’s absolutely perfect for it.

If it wasn’t for Oppenheimer I would imagine it would be winning lots at the Oscars.

Highly recommended. 
    I agree - an excellent, poignant and very funny comedy, reuniting Alexander Payne with Paul Giamatti 20 years after Sideways. Top performances from the three leading characters and if there's a better supporting turn than Da'Vine Joy Randolph's, I'd very much like to see it.
  • Options
    Watched The Creator tonight.
    Bear in mind I was up at 2.30am for a 6am flight to Laaaaandan Taaaaan, had champagne for breakfast, a Greek feast followed by more pink fizz. I didn't fall asleep.
    But add to the fact I clearly didn't have to be at my sharpest to follow it.
    I enjoyed it.
    An easy watch to end a lovely day.
    I'm not thinking about the football. Don't mention it.
    You really do live in the fast lane don’t you KB