Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Argylle. 

Don’t waste your money at the cinema. 

Was expecting Kingsman style fun. Instead it’s just silly ridiculous and boring. 
    Heard TERRIBLE things
  • Options
    Just watched The Lost City on Netflix.

I probably should hate it cos that Channing fella is all muscle & I really don’t get that. But, I love Sandra Bullock & it really made me giggle it was so silly.

And of course, there was Randy…………come on, this film was perfect for me 😂😂😂
  • Options

I probably should hate it cos that Channing fella is all muscle & I really don’t get that. But, I love Sandra Bullock & it really made me giggle it was so silly.

Watched it a while ago. Harmless bit of fun. 
  • Options
    edited February 5
    Have just finished watching “The Greatest Night in Pop” on Netflix.  It was a truly uplifting and memorable experience.

It was the story of how Lionel Ritchie brought together more than 40 stars - over one night and ending at 7am the following morning - to sing “We are the world” to raise funds for Africa.  It was inspired by Bob Dylan’s Band Aid a month or so earlier, and Bob Dylan was present for this one too.  Quincy Jones arranged the music.

Bruce Springsteen, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Harry Belafonte,  Michael Jackson, Paul Simon, Cindy Lauper were there and many others.  Dinah Ross was the last to leave, in tears, saying she did not want the night to end.
  • Options
    Do you mean Bob Geldof ? I wasn’t aware Dylan had anything to do with Band Aid . 
  • Options
    Do you mean Bob Geldof ? I wasn’t aware Dylan had anything to do with Band Aid . 
    Defo Geldof, along with Midge Ure.
  • Options
    All of Us Strangers - 7/10

Magic realism and ghost stories are not really my thing but I thought this was a well crafted (albeit occasionally confusing) film, with excellent performances from, in particular, Andrew Scott and Clare Foy. Quite how Scott was overlooked in the Best Actor Oscar nominations in favour of, in particular, Bradley Cooper’s impersonation of Bernstein in Maestro is puzzling - or would be but for the fact that his film is pure Oscar bait.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Magic realism and ghost stories are not really my thing but I thought this was a well crafted (albeit occasionally confusing) film, with excellent performances from, in particular, Andrew Scott and Clare Foy. Quite how Scott was overlooked in the Best Actor Oscar nominations in favour of, in particular, Bradley Cooper’s impersonation of Bernstein in Maestro is puzzling - or would be but for the fact that his film is pure Oscar bait.
    Just been to see it this afternoon, thought it was really good. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Blucher said:

You’re obviously not alone in that, given that it’s got 7 Oscar nominations. I thought that Carey Mulligan was very good, as was the concert in Ely Cathedral, but the rest of it left me cold.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    se9addick said:
    Blucher said:

You’re obviously not alone in that, given that it’s got 7 Oscar nominations. I thought that Carey Mulligan was very good, as was the concert in Ely Cathedral, but the rest of it left me cold.
    Oh I was referring to All of Us Strangers. Didn’t actually find Maestro as an amazing as the hype. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw the Holdovers today and totally agree with all the previous positive comments. A thoroughly enjoyable film with great moments of humour. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    Have just finished watching “The Greatest Night in Pop” on Netflix.  It was a truly uplifting and memorable experience.

It was the story of how Lionel Ritchie brought together more than 40 stars - over one night and ending at 7am the following morning - to sing “We are the world” to raise funds for Africa.  It was inspired by Bob Dylan’s Band Aid a month or so earlier, and Bob Dylan was present for this one too.  Quincy Jones arranged the music.

Bruce Springsteen, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Harry Belafonte,  Michael Jackson, Paul Simon, Cindy Lauper were there and many others.  Dinah Ross was the last to leave, in tears, saying she did not want the night to end.
    Also known as the Band Aid B team!
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Watched The Zone of Interest yesterday at the BFI.

7/10. Good but incredibly harrowing as expected. A couple of parts of the film I don't think worked that well, but was still good.

Annoyingly people were joining the film 10 minutes in.
  • Options

Changing Tatum is a very good looking bloke but he’s actually very funny. His comedy timing in the jump street films was great.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Blucher said:
    se9addick said:
    Blucher said:

Oh I was referring to All of Us Strangers. Didn’t actually find Maestro as an amazing as the hype. 
    Sorry - attention to detail not my strongest suit !

I see that ‘All of Us Strangers’ won the London Critics’ Circle Award for Best British/Irish film, while Andrew Scott won Best Actor - well deserved.
  • Options

Changing Tatum is a very good looking bloke but he’s actually very funny. His comedy timing in the jump street films was great.
    The "I'm your best nightmare" line still makes me chuckle.
  • Options

I take your word for it Gazza.
    But I won’t be fighting you over him, he’s all yours 😜😘😘
  • Options
    The Bee Keeper, a typical Stathan film but interestingly he pursued a baddie through the American streets before sending him off a bridge about a mile from where I’m sitting here on the Isle of Sheppey. 
  • Options
    Dylan was involved in the US version. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dylan was involved in the US version. 
    I know he was , I remember him singing his part in the song but he said he was involved in Band Aid which is news to me . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Society of the Snow is well worth a watch on Netflix. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Is that the remake of Alive from 1993 ? I've heard good things about it. 
  • Options
    American Fiction - 7/10

I found this an entertaining mix of satire, humour and drama. 
  • Options
    edited February 8
    Chunes said:
    We went to see Poor Things the other night. Completely bonkers and meandering film. Emma Stone & Ruffalo both gave brilliant performances, and it had plenty of laughs. I do like films where it feels like you're being taken into an original world and this is one of those. 
    Went to see it Sunday night at our local Vue cinema. A mate dragged me along as something for two old blokes to do instead of the pub. We've both not done cinema since before lock down so this was a new baptism. 12 people spread out in the dark expanse, probably all wondering if their investment in a ticket was worse than one on the Titanic. 

Christ it was a trip to weirds ville of the highest order. As you suggest, original it is. I'll not give away anything as I watched it without even checking the plot. Whoever wrote it must have been on Acid or something similar.

It reminded me of some of the weird art house films that used to be on tv with a red triangle in the corner. A bit of naughtyness, but with erotica about as enjoyable as watching you parents having a go!

Alice in Wonderland reimagined by Quentin Tarantino. 

Not for those that love Fast & Furious et al. 

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Yeah it is 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Kind of. It's not a direct remake but it's based on the same events.
  • Options
    You People

Went into this expecting a cheesy Jonah Hill and Eddie Murphy comedy. 

Got that and a bit more. Felt relatable, cringey, heart warming and actually I quite liked it. 

Not gonna score it. Probably wouldn't watch it again. Would recommend it 100%. 
  • Options
    Saw The Great Escaper yesterday, thought it was excellent.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Our monthly film night at the village church (should have been last Friday but, you know, Six Nations 🤣) saw us watch ‘Women Talking’.

Wowsers. Some epic acting from Claire Foy and Jessie Buckley. A true story originally in Bolivia but set in an Armish type community. Women led to believe they were raped/attacked by demons when all along it was the men of the community who drugged them.

For a few of the geezers in attendance I think it was uncomfortable viewing but by golly, I loved it for the acting and cinematography alone.

And I had a giggle when the one and only swear word was corrected by one of the woman. We weren’t struck by lightening 😂😂
  • Options
    Saw The Zone of Interest on Friday. I didn't think it was harrowing in the sense that it wasn't one of those films that make you want to look away, but it was an incredibly effective piece of film making. It was terrifying in the sense that it shows you how people could not just turn a blind eye to mass murder and genocide, but actually make sure they and their families were benefitting from it as much as possible. 
    The audio is incredible, and there are some fantasy type scenes inserted that are very unsettling.

Highly recommended. 9/10