Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Oh and a class soundtrack 
  • Options
    Wicked Little Letters with Olivia Colman. 

Very funny. Typical quaint British comedy. 

Expect it will be a TV film come Christmas but worth a watch. 

Saw it today - very enjoyable. An easy film to watch.
    Likewise, saw it today and enjoyed it. Shame it has attracted a load of criticism for being "historically inaccurate" - loads moaning about the casting of an asian actress to play the policewoman.....
    There is a lot of debate over this. Plenty of historical inaccuracies in loads of films.
  • Options
    Past Lives - a wonderful, quiet, gently moving film with Korean and English dialogue.   The Taste of Things - visually the most beautiful film I've seen in ages. It's set in 19th century France and is about love and food. Great performance by Juliette Binoche.
  • Options
    Holdovers - don’t bother / waste of time and full of cliches. 

American Fiction - highly recommended/ very enjoyable and full of cliches. Deliberately 😉
  • Options
    Oppenheimer - 7/10

I finally got around to seeing this last week. A good film, with some fine performances - especially from Robert Downey Jr. - but I don't feel I got a particularly strong insight into the subject matter's character and motivations. I found the procedural stuff in the last hour a little more interesting. 

La Haine - 8/10

I've been meaning to see this since it came out in the mid-90s and finally got to a screening at the Prince Charles Cinema, which puts on a lot of classics as well as new releases. An excellent film and still highly relevant.

The Taste of Things - 6/10

I enjoy most films that feature food (and Juliette Binoche). 'Babette's Feast' is the all-time classic, although the 2013 Indian film, 'The Lunchbox', also featured some tasty looking grub.

I am probably in the minority, but I was a little disappointed with 'The Taste of Things'. It was beautifully filmed and the food looked scrumptious, but I found the narrative a little thin, especially for a 135 minute film.
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    Past Lives - a wonderful, quiet, gently moving film with Korean and English dialogue.   The Taste of Things - visually the most beautiful film I've seen in ages. It's set in 19th century France and is about love and food. Great performance by Juliette Binoche.
    I really enjoyed The Taste of Things but kept being distracted by my brain pointing out that the guy looks like an old Alfie May...
  • Options
    I enjoyed Past Lives but found Return to Seoul much more impactful. It seems to have flown largely under the radar. 
  • Options
    Watched Battle Over Britain on Prime earlier, thought it was crap and unrealistic.
  • Options
    Evil Does Not Exist- 9/10

Absolutely fantastic it was. Some might find it quite slow, but its about normal everyday life in many ways. Without spoiling it I wasn't sure for a few seconds where the ending was going then it came out of nowhere. One of best endings to film I've seen.
  • Options
    edited March 3
    Just watched "Linoleum"  on Chili movies. If you get the chance watch it, but don't do any spoiler searches as it certainly kept me guessing! Different, and I thought a beautiful film. Released 2023 so not new, but I only just stumbled on it as I had a couple of freebies on Chili. 

Just found this review. 

"Linoleum is 
    not a perfect film. It has some pacing issues, some plot holes, and some tonal inconsistencies. But it is an original and daring film that offers something different from the usual Hollywood fare. It is a film that will make you laugh, think, and wonder."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched Deadpool the other night. Very funny
  • Options
    American Fiction. Funny-ish political commentary. Not Oscar best film material but worth seeing. 
  • Options
    edited March 4
    Watched Dune part 2 on Saturday. It's a massive film. Having not read the book it can be a little overwhelming at times and perhaps not as immediately accessible as the first one. Still a very impressive piece of film making that will require a 2nd viewing from me.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed Dune 2 but do want to read the books now to aid my understanding. A real beautiful film though, perfect for the cinema.

Also watched poor things over the weekend. Absolute bizarre film that I still haven't been able to process if I actually liked it or not. 
  • Options
    Anyone else seen Zone of Interest?

Really interesting, unusual, gripping approach to the subject matter and one that I found myself thinking about again the day after. Perhaps because I was only there myself a couple of months ago.

Special mention for the score (if that's what you'd call it), which in the absence of visual images takes your imagination to places it probably doesn't want to. Also for the thermal imaging sequences which had me fascinated and fearful at the same time.

Not sure about the ending and what it symbolised myself but my goodness what a story and what an approach to telling it.

Not for everyone tbf but catch it if you can. 
  • Options
    Anyone else seen Zone of Interest?

Really interesting, unusual, gripping approach to the subject matter and one that I found myself thinking about again the day after. Perhaps because I was only there myself a couple of months ago.

Special mention for the score (if that's what you'd call it), which in the absence of visual images takes your imagination to places it probably doesn't want to. Also for the thermal imaging sequences which had me fascinated and fearful at the same time.

Not sure about the ending and what it symbolised myself but my goodness what a story and what an approach to telling it.

Not for everyone tbf but catch it if you can. 
    Yep. Thought it was very good. 
  • Options
    It's top of my watch list at the moment just waiting to get round to it.
  • Options
    My Jermain Defoe film launched yesterday on Prime.

I hope you enjoy it!
    Curbs is in it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B0CN6QV7TM/ref=atv_mv_hom_c_rFu618_awns_2_7?jic=8|EgRzdm9k

• Options
    supaclive said:

I hope you enjoy it!
    Curbs is in it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B0CN6QV7TM/ref=atv_mv_hom_c_rFu618_awns_2_7?jic=8|EgRzdm9k

Saw Curbs in the trailer. Will have a look now I've got bloody covid again. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I hope you enjoy it!
    Curbs is in it.

I watched it yesterday. As a fan I can never forgive him, but he came across as a very nice, rounded person. I enjoyed it as an easy watch. Thank you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do Not Expect Too Much from The End of The World- 4/10

A film from a well known Romanian director named Radu Jude. Knew it would be weird from reading what it was about, but always like to try new things. However, I came out of this just finding it irritating and pretentious. I'm not a huge fan of heavy dark humour anyway, but it was just relentless, that you are like, "OK we get the point". It had some OK ideas in places and I laughed once or twice, but that was it.

• Options
    follett said:
    I really enjoyed Dune 2 but do want to read the books now to aid my understanding. A real beautiful film though, perfect for the cinema.

Also watched poor things over the weekend. Absolute bizarre film that I still haven't been able to process if I actually liked it or not. 
    I love the book (the original one) but it's very long and pretty dense - the films have simplified quite a lot of it (which is a good thing don't get me wrong.)

If you do decide to read the books, only bother with the ones written by Frank Herbert himself.
  • Options
    Copa 71 is a decent doc. Quite emotional and terrible how "men" treated women back fifty years ago. 
  • Options
    edited March 11
    TEL said:
    supaclive said:

I hope you enjoy it!
    Curbs is in it.

Jesus... I caught Covid again around the same time too... How are you feeling now?
  • Options
    I see that ‘20 Days in Mariupol’ is on Channel 4 tonight at 10:30. It’s already on Channel 4’s catch up service but I’ll record it so I can fast-forward the irritating ads. No surprise the film won the Best Documentary Award at last night’s Oscars.
  • Options
    Thanks very much for the tip @Blucher . That was a 'must see', not just because of the bravery of the journalists but the commitment and bravery of the local commander who helped them escape so the story could be told.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    TEL said:
    supaclive said:

I hope you enjoy it!
    Curbs is in it.

Jesus... I caught Covid again around the same time too... How are you feeling now?
    Hi Jessie. 3rd time around for me. This one like a heavy dose of normal flu apart from the fever induced bad dreams. A week in and still positive but feeling a bit better apart from the normal extreme fatigue.  Compared with the first time in March 2020 though, it's a stroll in the park. 

How are you? 
  • Options
    I watched Argylle last night. Don't get me wrong, given the budget and cast the film is a bit underwhelming but given the really negative reviews I was expecting something dreadful. 
    I personally didn't mind it and found it quite entertaining in parts. It is a bit all over the place with plenty of plot holes but overall an enjoyable experience - 6.5/10
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I hope you enjoy it!
    Curbs is in it.

@supaclive
    Enjoyable watch. Interesting that Defoe didn’t comment on the Charlton to West Ham section.
    Was that a conscious decision by him or his sync just wasn’t as interesting as Curbs and Redknapp? 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    supaclive said:

I hope you enjoy it!
    Curbs is in it.

@supaclive
    Enjoyable watch. Interesting that Defoe didn’t comment on the Charlton to West Ham section.
    Was that a conscious decision by him or his sync just wasn’t as interesting as Curbs and Redknapp? 
    I think he feels it was a decision made by his parents......