Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Do you mean Bob Geldof ? I wasn’t aware Dylan had anything to do with Band Aid . 
    Dylan was involved in the US version. 
    I know he was , I remember him singing his part in the song but he said he was involved in Band Aid which is news to me . 
    Didn't spot that. It could have been that Geldoff called him and he gave him some advice or something? 
  • Options
    Our monthly film night at the village church (should have been last Friday but, you know, Six Nations 🤣) saw us watch ‘Women Talking’.

Wowsers. Some epic acting from Claire Foy and Jessie Buckley. A true story originally in Bolivia but set in an Armish type community. Women led to believe they were raped/attacked by demons when all along it was the men of the community who drugged them.

For a few of the geezers in attendance I think it was uncomfortable viewing but by golly, I loved it for the acting and cinematography alone.

And I had a giggle when the one and only swear word was corrected by one of the woman. We weren’t struck by lightening 😂😂

I really loved this film beautifully crafted and very moving , I was in bits both times I watched it.
  • Options
    The Iron Claw.  American wrestling film. 

Far better than I expected. Far more about the family than the wrestling. 

• Options
    The Whale, little odd really I thought but it'll appeal to some.
  • Options
    The Outfit - recently added to Netflix but believe it’s a couple years old. Quite a stylish twisty little film. Mark Rylance is excellent.

7.5/10
  • Options
    The Whale, little odd really I thought but it'll appeal to some.
    Is it a blue?
  • Options
    The Outfit - recently added to Netflix but believe it’s a couple years old. Quite a stylish twisty little film. Mark Rylance is excellent.

7.5/10
    I really enjoyed primarily because of him
  • Options
    edited February 13
    Just watched... "Still - A Michael J Fox Movie"... its on AppleTV

Basically a Documentary that combines both his career as an actor, and his battle with Parkinson's

Really good viewing
  • Options

Basically a Documentary that combines both his career as an actor, and his battle with Parkinson's

Really good viewing
    Wish it wasn’t on Apple.
    I have the book.
    But I’m too scared to read it 😞
  • Options

Really good viewing
    Wish it wasn’t on Apple.
    I have the book.
    Its not really a Sob Story type of Documentary

He's had 30 (?) years to reflect on the illness, but seems to take it all in its stride to be fair
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 13

Really good viewing
    Wish it wasn’t on Apple.
    I have the book.
    Its not really a Sob Story type of Documentary

He's had 30 (?) years to reflect on the illness, but seems to take it all in its stride to be fair
    That makes me feel a bit better.
    But guilty for being a complete coward when he clearly is not.
    Thanks FA x
  • Options
    American Fiction. Interesting angle, funny in bits and overall a pleasant watch. 7.5/10
  • Options
    edited February 14
    Jessie said:
    American Fiction. Interesting angle, funny in bits and overall a pleasant watch. 7.5/10
    Agree with this except I think I'd give it an 8. Wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did, which always helps, but an enjoyable watch. Not a comedy per se but made me laugh more than most 'comedies' tend to, and the story was decent with enough threads to keep me interested. You can see what's coming to an extent but the fun is in how it's going to play out. Interesting ending(s) too. The time passed very quickly. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Jessie said:
    Agree with this except I think I'd give it an 8. Wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did, which always helps, but an enjoyable watch. Not a comedy per se but made me laugh more than most 'comedies' tend to, and the story was decent with enough threads to keep me interested. You can see what's coming to an extent but the fun is in how it's going to play out. Interesting ending(s) too. The time passed very quickly. 
    The book it's based on, Erasure by Percival Everett, is really great. Me and my partner had a feature script loosely based on the book that we almost definitely can't do anything with now, but I'm happy that they did the book justice with American Fiction. Thought Jeffrey Wright was perfectly cast, especially.
  • Options
    The Promised Land
    Out today
    Go see it
    It is very good!

5 stars from the Financial Times!

https://www.ft.com/content/2a3fe20e-0631-4c1d-aaa0-f67b71cef8a2
  • Options
    One for the fans I guess,, Bob Marley one love, plenty of music we liked it a lot.
  • Options
    One for the fans I guess,, Bob Marley one love, plenty of music we liked it a lot.
    Just seen it too. 

Personally the stage play in the west end a few years back I thought was better as more of his story. 

But decent enough. 
  • Options
    edited February 16
    Recently enjoyed one love and Priscilla plus Ferrari was quite good too. Not been for years, but we really have started to enjoy our local (ish) independent cinema.

• Options
    I wnjoyed 'One Love' - a lot better than I expected. A great soundtrack.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that’s watched All of us strangers?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Am I the only one that’s watched All of us strangers?
    No. I really enjoyed it. Quite an interesting story and, as expected, very well acted by all involved.  
  • Options
    Some film trivia. The waterfront at Charlton was recently turned into the waterfront of New York for a scene for the new 'A quiet place'
  • Options
    A Quiet Place you say? They could have just used the east stand
  • Options
    We watched a decent film on Netflix last night called Black and Blue. A New Orleans wpc witnessing cops killing a drug lord and then trying to pin it on her.

Once you get to the incident it is quite gripping
  • Options
    Wicked Little Letters with Olivia Colman. 

Very funny. Typical quaint British comedy. 

Expect it will be a TV film come Christmas but worth a watch. 

• Options

Saw it today - very enjoyable. An easy film to watch.
  • Options
    edited February 25
    The Iron Claw

Now as you may know, I'm in the industry and went to see this last night.

Zac Efron is really a rather good actor.  It's a brutal film.  I loved it.

I researched having watched and there's been some poetic license applied - mainly because the family curse is beyond belief.

Watch it.

Efron is astounding as is his father in the film, played by Holt Mcallanny.
  • Options

Saw it today - very enjoyable. An easy film to watch.
    Likewise, saw it today and enjoyed it. Shame it has attracted a load of criticism for being "historically inaccurate" - loads moaning about the casting of an asian actress to play the policewoman.....
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    The Iron Claw

I researched having watched and there's been some poetic license applied - mainly because the family curse is beyond belief.

Watch it.

I believe they actually ended up taking several characters/people out of the script because it would just seem too unbelievable for one family to be THAT unfortunate.... except that they actually were.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    The Iron Claw

Watch it.

I believe they actually ended up taking several characters/people out of the script because it would just seem too unbelievable for one family to be THAT unfortunate.... except that they actually were.
    We watched it last night, it was brutal! Couldn't belive how the guy who plays lip in the US version of shameless and Carmy in The Bear bulked himself up for his role.but also, Zac Efron, holy shit that guy must have been living off dumbells and pure protein. 

Holt McAllany was also brilliant ably assisted by the always excellent Maura Tierney. 

It isn't a nice film, its a dark, tragic, bleak film but a great story told in a very refreshing un-hollywood way.