Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

1279280281282283285»

Comments

• No.  End of answer :)
  • Strange Darling

Premieres this Saturday in the UK and releases in the US on Friday.   On general release here 23rd September. 

The best film we've acquired in years.

Promise you!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MukhQbscyjU

• Saw a preview screening of "Cuckoo" last night - released later this week I believe. It was "OK ". End of review :)
    Done pretty well in the US OF A.

Interested to see it
  • Longlegs.
    About a creepy serial killer that isn't present for any of the murders.
    Bit strange In places but on the whole I thought it was pretty good.
  • what to watch tonight

• I caught up with Operation Mincemeat tonight.
    A wealth of British actors.
    I really enjoyed it, mind you I would. Love a bit of intelligence led operations. 
    Really have to admire all those who came up with and actually played out all these missions that saved lives and changed the course of history.
    Marvellous.
  • Really enjoyed Operation Mincemeat, and a bit more hammy but The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare was good fun imo.
  • Really enjoyed Operation Mincemeat, and a bit more hammy but The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare was good fun imo.
    Oh not seen that one, thanks for the tip!
  • edited September 2
    Alien Romulus

I have been looking forward to this more than any film this year. 

As @CL_Phantom said, this one starts off strongly. There's some show-don't-tell stuff in the opening sequence that made me think this was going to be much closer to Alien than the rest of the franchise. Then the cast started to appear, and while the original crew of the Nostromo weren't exactly ugly, they were character actors. And Romulus is populated by a cast that could easily slip directly into a reboot of Beverly Hills 90210. Still, the lead - Cailee Spaeny - is extremely good even if she does look a bit young for it. 

It was disappointing that the first act couldn't maintain the confidence in storytelling that the first scene had, although the cranking of tension is the film's strongest suit. The director is an expert at that stuff and his work on Don't Breathe translates well. 

As the film goes on it becomes clear that we are not watching a smart follow up to Alien - we're watching Alien does The Force Awakens. It's yet another legacy sequel designed to play all the hits. Which is fun, I didn't get bored even if it is massively fucking disappointing. There are a couple of lines of dialogue that made me cringe, and the Alien franchise template is followed to a disappointing degree. 

The ultimate irony that I took from it all is that David Jonsson is exceptional in his role as an android (that's not a spoiler, it's revealed in the second scene) and yet, the inclusion of  

a CGI Ian Holm as Ash shows that no matter how good or bad the effects are, what they cannot do is resurrect the man's abilities. Ian Holm was a wonderful actor, and his performance as Ash is subtle and nuanced, which is why it's so creepy. This film turns him into a pantomime villain, and not only is he spouting out plot in a really ham fisted way, both in his delivery and the way he pops up on TV screens conveniently to help the story along, he's doing it in a way that shows those behind it have no idea how to give an elite performance. And nor should they - but that's why they shouldn't have tried. 

The final act descends in to Alien Resurrection nonsense (a film I actually really like) and I was left wishing that they had the balls to do their own thing. Then again Disney own the franchise now, and treading new ground is something that they just don't want to do too often. Not when they can keep remaking the same shit over and over again. 

4/12
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:
    Alien Romulus

As @CL_Phantom said, this one starts off strongly. There's some show-don't-tell stuff in the opening sequence that made me think this was going to be much closer to Alien than the rest of the franchise. Then the cast started to appear, and while the original crew of the Nostromo weren't exactly ugly, they were character actors. And Romulus is populated by a cast that could easily slip directly into a reboot of Beverly Hills 90210. Still, the lead - Cailee Spaeny - is extremely good even if she does look a bit young for it. 

It was disappointing that the first act couldn't maintain the confidence in storytelling that the first scene had, although the cranking of tension is the film's strongest suit. The director is an expert at that stuff and his work on Don't Breathe translates well. 

As the film goes on it becomes clear that we are not watching a smart follow up to Alien - we're watching Alien does The Force Awakens. It's yet another legacy sequel designed to play all the hits. Which is fun, I didn't get bored even if it is massively fucking disappointing. There are a couple of lines of dialogue that made me cringe, and the Alien franchise template is followed to a disappointing degree. 

The ultimate irony that I took from it all is that David Jonsson is exceptional in his role as an android (that's not a spoiler, it's revealed in the second scene) and yet, the inclusion of  

a CGI Ian Holm as Ash shows that no matter how good or bad the effects are, what they cannot do is resurrect the man's abilities. Ian Holm was a wonderful actor, and his performance as Ash is subtle and nuanced, which is why it's so creepy. This film turns him into a pantomime villain, and not only is he spouting out plot in a really ham fisted way, both in his delivery and the way he pops up on TV screens conveniently to help the story along, he's doing it in a way that shows those behind it have no idea how to give an elite performance. And nor should they - but that's why they shouldn't have tried. 

The final act descends in to Alien Resurrection nonsense (a film I actually really like) and I was left wishing that they had the balls to do their own thing. Then again Disney own the franchise now, and treading new ground is something that they just don't want to do too often. Not when they can keep remaking the same shit over and over again. 

4/12
    Caught Alien:Romolus last week. Wasn't sure what to expect tbh and it was "competent" enough but failed to engage me like some of the others in the series. Perhaps it's just unfair to compare it to its predecessor. I found myself not really bothered about any of the characters but in fairness it did have some decent enough set pieces. 

I suppose if you ignore the plot holes and take it at face value it was OK, but nothing more for me. David Jonsson's character and his performance were pretty good tbh and having only seen him on TV previously I'd expect to see this being his break out role. 
  • edited September 2
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Alien Romulus

4/12

Having read back my review and your own, I was definitely being generous with a score of 6 almost 7, probably a bit of fanboyism and the fact its the first time I've seen one of the films on the big screen, a 5 at best. The overall plot gave us a good enough reason for why "Company wants big bad Alien" at least.

Some of the screen moments that tie back to the previous films almost shot for shot 
    "Reebok close up",
    "Look its a motion tracker"
    "How to use a pulse rifle",
    "Stepping out of the lift ready for war",
    "Slipping on the Astronaut suit for the show down"
    "Blast it out into the vacuum of space" 
    combined with some of the dialogue and man, its like over excited fanfic.

As the film goes on it becomes clear that we are not watching a smart follow up to Alien - we're watching Alien does The Force Awakens 
    - First thing I said upon leaving the cinema "Alien gets the Force Awakens treatment" - deserved better.

Ah well, there's always the TV show to look forward next year......

• Looking forward to the Reagan Movie, although not convinced that Dennis Quaid looks enough like Ron.
  • Sing Sing- 7/10

Has real sadness and happiness to it at same time, about a prison theatre company in Sing Sing prison. All based on a true story. Slightly corny at times, but I really enjoyed it.
  • UEAAddick said:
    Sing Sing- 7/10

Has real sadness and happiness to it at same time, about a prison theatre company in Sing Sing prison. All based on a true story. Slightly corny at times, but I really enjoyed it.
    Just been to see Sing Sing and thought it was excellent. Incredibly moving, with a wonderful lead performance. 
  • Beetlejuice Beetlejuice: if you love the original, as I do, you will love this one too, lots of laughs, a slightly more “sympathetic” Beetlejuice, and a great “wacky” performance by Catherine O’Hara, whilst keeping the Tim Burton tone. 4 stars out of 5.
  • Beetlejuice Beetlejuice: if you love the original, as I do, you will love this one too, lots of laughs, a slightly more “sympathetic” Beetlejuice, and a great “wacky” performance by Catherine O’Hara, whilst keeping the Tim Burton tone. 4 stars out of 5.
    Saw it with my daughter - very enjoyable.