Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Winter Olympics 2010 - Vancouver

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]one word... LUONGO.
    LOL - I could be between the pipes in this game and Canada would walk it - absolutely destroying Obitchkin and his cronies here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]one word... LUONGO.
    LOL - I could be between the pipes in this game and Canada would walk it - absolutely destroying Obitchkin and his cronies here.

Ha ha - terrible defence from the ruskis so far. Not sure the Swedes or Yanks will give it up so easy.
  • Options
    Time for some Canadian pride. Gold and silver in women's bobsleigh, silver in women's short track relay, bronze for the world's only multiple medallist in both Summer and Winter Games (Clara Hughes - what an athlete she is, even at 37) on the long track 5K.

Oh, and the hockey team showed up and the Russians were dispatched in Spurs v. Wigan fashion.

All in all, the good day we've been waiting for...that is all.
  • Options
    God almighty this hockey final is going to be awesome.
  • Options
    nhl94.jpg
  • Options
    Some big hits going in on Crosby so far! Come on Canada!
  • Options
    gonna really miss this has been cracking watching it at 3 am each morning whilst feeding Scarlett the beeb really do cover things like this well wonmt here me saying this to often
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]gonna really miss this has been cracking watching it at 3 am each morning whilst feeding Scarlett the beeb really do cover things like this well wonmt here me saying this to often

gotta wonder about having Matthew Pinsent as an analyst on the ice hockey though!
  • Options
    I don't know much about ice hockey at all, but I'm loving this.
  • Options
    Bloody Hell !
    The players got good eyesight or what ?
    I'm having trouble following the ball on HD !
    And them refs !!
    Nutters !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Extra Time & Penalties..........
  • Options
    Is "tied up" an ice hockey euphemism for "slammed into the plexiglass by one or more opponents"?
  • Options
    game over!
    Well done Canada
  • Options
    Get in! Sid the Kid! Pens rule!
  • Options
    Does anyone know how Ireland did in the uphill?
  • Options
    I am ashamed to say, despite living here, I missed most of it, though with a perfectly good excuse as I was taking my daughter to her ski-racing lessons.

Very pleased for Canada, a great victory - although the magnitude of the achievement has to be seen in the context of the fact that there are only really a very small handful of serious contenders in the sport. Great to put one over the Septics though & a great Olympics for Canada gold medal wise.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I am ashamed to say, despite living here, I missed most of it, though with a perfectly good excuse as I was taking my daughter to her ski-racing lessons.

Very pleased for Canada, a great victory - although the magnitude of the achievement has to be seen in the context of the fact that there are only really a very small handful of serious contenders in the sport. Great to put one over the Septics though & a great Olympics for Canada gold medal wise.
    Dunno about that. It's a lot more competitive than women's hockey that's for sure. I reckon there are six, possibly seven countries who, going into the tournament, would think they had a decent chance of winning it - Canada, USA, Czech Republic, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia and Russia. How many teams would you say have a reasonable chance of winning the world cup in football? Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Argentina, Holland - maybe Portugal? Seems about the same sort of odds to me.Now there's no way women's hockey should be a medal sport - but I think having seven teams competing for a gold medal is acceptable - despite Canada probably expecting to be favourites every time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I am ashamed to say, despite living here, I missed most of it, though with a perfectly good excuse as I was taking my daughter to her ski-racing lessons.

Dunno about that. It's a lot more competitive than women's hockey that's for sure. I reckon there are six, possibly seven countries who, going into the tournament, would think they had a decent chance of winning it - Canada, USA, Czech Republic, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia and Russia. How many teams would you say have a reasonable chance of winning the world cup in football? Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Argentina, Holland - maybe Portugal? Seems about the same sort of odds to me.Now there's no way women's hockey should be a medal sport - but I think having seven teams competing for a gold medal is acceptable - despite Canada probably expecting to be favourites every time.

I just think in terms of depth of squad the Canadians and USA are so far ahead of the others - the gap is much wider than that between the top 10 footballing nations. The other hockey countries having a smattering of stars it's true but the total dominance of the NHL is reflected in the inevitable final we got..not diminishing Canada's achievement in anyway though, a nation of 30m overcoming one of 304m is absolutely fantastic.
  • Options
    Oakster, no doubt that Canada (more so than the Americans) had far more depth than any other team in the tournament, and Canada 2 (if permitted) could likely medal, but Domenik Hasek (amongst others) has proven that all it takes is a hot goalie, and a so-so team can win the tournament. Short tournaments + single knock out = unpredictability. The fact that the Russians have been home for a while shows that.

That said, I suspect that the Russians might make a better showing in 2014...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What an absolute disgrace of a so called Olympic event.
    How dare the Olympic flame even get close to it.
    Miniscule crowds at the actual events, the UK sends over 50 competitors and all their assciated baggage trainers etc and in return we get one medal and a number of personal best 23rds. What a joke.
    Predominantly white, rich, European or European-descended competiord earning Olympic medals for minimum effort in events denied to the vast majority of the globe.
    Well done to S Korea and China for adding at least a smidgen of difference, and to Japan who won 5 gold when they hosted it.
    Have the games, but for goodness sake drop the Olympic title - it fails to meet the Olympic ideals.

The IOC should drop it, and focus instead on the paralympics
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with Montana's statement.

How can any competition in which half the events are basically a variation of sledding be considered an Olympiad.

I really hope very, very little tax payers money was spent on team GB.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]What an absolute disgrace of a so called Olympic event.
    How dare the Olympic flame even get close to it.
    Miniscule crowds at the actual events, the UK sends over 50 competitors and all their assciated baggage trainers etc and in return we get one medal and a number of personal best 23rds. What a joke.
    Predominantly white, rich, European or European-descended competiord earning Olympic medals for minimum effort in events denied to the vast majority of the globe.
    Well done to S Korea and China for adding at least a smidgen of difference, and to Japan who won 5 gold when they hosted it.
    Have the games, but for goodness sake drop the Olympic title - it fails to meet the Olympic ideals.

The IOC should drop it, and focus instead on the paralympics

Bloody hell Floyd, who's took the jam out of your donut this morning?!
  • Options
    The British target was 3 medals of any colour which hasnt been achieved since 1936.
    And it has cost us over 6.5 million quid in funding alone.
  • Options
    The same bugger who pissed on my cornflakes, VG!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]it has cost us over 6.5 million quid in funding alone

But where did that money come from ? If it's private sponsors then whatever, it's their cash to waste. If it's tax payers money then that is very different.
  • Options
    Doesnt a lot come from the national lottery?
  • Options
    As I say, I am happy for the clique to have their shindig and dont begrudge money spent on sport, however elitist it is(and it doesnt get more elitist than not having a single track for some of the sports in your own country does it!), OLYMPIC??? Nah thats all wrong.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]As I say, I am happy for the clique to have their shindig and dont begrudge money spent on sport, however elitist it is(and it doesnt get more elitist than not having a single track for some of the sports in your own country does it!), OLYMPIC??? Nah thats all wrong.
    (ahem). Have you seen the summer Olympics recently? Cos last time I checked, there weren't that many geezers wearing loincloths and sandals, who'd trained on dirt roads or in ponds winning gold medals...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]their shindig and dont begrudge money spent on sport, however elitist it is(and it doesnt get more elitist than not having

What are you talking about ? Yachting is the sport of the common man !!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You are not serious are you Leroy?
    Ethiopia, Kenya Zimbabwe, all in the UN lowest HDI (Human Development Index) grouping were all in the top half of the last medals table.
    Most of them beating Norway Switzerland and Denmark, all in the very top of development lists

Jamaica came 13th, Nigeria (the least developed country on the HDI list) beat Austria and South Africa - highly developed countries

i know which looks a more reasonable embodiment of the Olympic ideals