Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views Charlton Athletic 2-0 Yeovil Town

Comments

• Options
    Did the job, some good moments, few too many mistakes at times, but we did what we needed to. Kept a clean sheet, scored first, got a second and from there we were mostly comfortable.

Bailey had a good game in the end, but I expect better from his passing, gave it away too much.

Pleased for Llera, had a good game and showed more intelligence and ability on the ball than Sodje usually does.

Jackson did a good job, seems a decent all round player.

Mooney did well, much better touch, vision and general awareness than Akpo. Of course he won't win many headers, he's not strong or brave, but on form he's a decent player at this level.

Great strike from Reid though it did go straight through the 'keeper. He did well, though if Sam made some of the poor decisions he did, and put in some of the poor balls he did, he'd be heavily criticized. He did have a good game, just a typical winger though really, he will make mistakes, but he'll make up for it with his pace, directness and hopefully, more goals and some assists.
  • Options
    I'm still gonna insist that whenever Burton has a good or half reasonable game (as he did today), then the whole side seems to play better.....can't tell you how important a player I think he is for us....so much goes through him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I'm still gonna insist that whenever Burton has a good or half reasonable game (as he did today), then the whole side seems to play better.....can't tell you how important a player I think he is for us....so much goes through him.

I'd go along with that. I think the same applied to Mooney too in that he was always trying to make himself available to receive the ball from the midfielders to the extent that maybe he came back too much into midfield.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I'm still gonna insist that whenever Burton has a good or half reasonable game (as he did today), then the whole side seems to play better.....can't tell you how important a player I think he is for us....so much goes through him.

Some very nice moves around him today. As you say, you can't put a passing move together yourself. Nearly all the midfield knew they would get a decent ball if they made a decent run.
  • Options
    Oggy was tired and emotional in the lib at 2.00 so gawd knows what he's like now.

And jimmy greaves is 70 today
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

Llera for me was second only to Elliot today and fully justified Parky's decision to leave Sam Sodje on the bench
    The main thing though was 3 points and with Norwich losing and Leeds drawing other results went with us. I hesitate to make a critical comment after a win but I feel we will need to up our game if we are to beat Brighton on Tuesday. They will be confident following their excellent result at Leeds.

I feel a lot happier than I did on Monday evening.

Got to agree with these points. My MOM was Llera, which is controversial....but in the olden days if a player lost his place, and then got a game, he tried to play well enough to keep himself in the team....which is what Llera did today, a pretty flawless performance combined with good interceptions and a second half goal saving tackle. Funny player Llera, on performances like today he looks class, but we all know how poor he can be...however he never hides, and seems to love to play...bit of a cult hero perhaps?
    I thought Tudor Jones was great after he got that wallop in the nadgers when after he recovered he had a good look in his shorts to check he had both of them left...good humour and good sense of humour.
  • Options
    Really important result. First half wasn't great but was happy that we came out in the second half and showed the sort of urgency that we've only showed when we've gone a goal down in recent months.

Formation looked a lot more fluid with some nice pass and move stuff at times. Much as I like Semedo it shows we dont always need him at home when we aren't playing a team of spoilers.

Well done to the lads, just goes to show that we are a far better side when we keep the ball on the deck.
  • Options
    So quiet on here.....!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Double post. Poxy phone!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]So quiet on here.....!

Everyone must be at NLA's birthday party
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First half was poor & we were lucky to go in 1 up - Elliott was excellent.

2nd half we were a different team and really passed it well. Overall we deserved it, but don't forget the contribution of Elliott.

Also I think Yeovil tried to play football & that suited us, because the game was always open & suited the likes of Reid.

Satisfied with that, lets do the same on Tuesday. COYR.
  • Options
    Elliot was great. Just as i was thinking, a bit gloomily, that we were no better than Yeovil Reid smacks in a screamer. Like many teams in this division Yeovil were poor in defence and better moving forward. They were more like a div 4 team in the second half. We really should have scored a few more goals. At least it was fun to see the ball being passed around, instead of the welly ball. Wish Jonjo had played in the second half but he wasn't even on the bench.
  • Options
    Oggy was in the Lib?

I got so close to meeting the great man : (
  • Options
    Great result, good performance. The main thing for me (other than the 3 points) was that everyone played well enough to justify their place in the team. That coupled with no yellows and/or injuries, should mean that we can go into Tuesday's game with a settled side.
  • Options
    Just realised both goals came from loanees.

That messes with a few popular prejudices (including mine!)

Mind you, it's a good quiz question. Despite what seems like endless numbers of loanees over recent seasons (particularly under Pardew and Parky 2008-9 version, when we regulary played up to five of them), have two ever scored in the same match before?
  • Options
    Great performance overall. Only thing that frustrated was Rob's long clearances in the 2nd half - every one went to Yeovil. And Llera's underpants lacked style.
  • Options
    Agree with most on here, Elliot *MOM* could have been an embarrasing result if not for the heroics of Robbie, but a much better all round performance than last mondays fiasco.
    So onto Tuesday now with the same result hopefully, only dissapointment of the day was the late Leeds equaliser, do the refs carry on playing till Leeds equalise, seems to happen very frequently.
  • Options
    Thank god for that!
  • Options
    Still letting the oppo have too many chances, give chances like that away when we play Saints and Norwich we will be in trouble.

Looked better going forward though, created more than recent games.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Though we played ok in the first half our central midfield was badly misfiring both offensively and defensively. Thought Yeovil played through us too easily and neither bailey or racon knew who's job it was to break forward to support the forwards so they both sat too deep. The second half was obviously much better and it was refreshing to see us attacking both flanks at pace which really stretched their defence. Jackson has really showed up how much we've been hamstrung by playing such a slow full back, Baseys injury is a major blessing for the team. Loved the way our attcking players all wanted to get on the ball towards the end and seemed to enjoy the game, been a while. Agree with mid life that Yeovils style definitely played into our hands and i still worry whether we can handle a more physical team but this was a very positive performance by the team and a good reply to his critics from Parky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Elliot got MOM in the lounges after the game
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Elliot got MOM in the LOUNGES after the game

You've changed........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Oggy was in the Lib?

I got so close to meeting the great man : (

Oggy left me at the final whistle to go and find his Dad, if I hadnt taken the car I dread to think where we'd be now ; )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leaburn4england[/cite] And Llera's underpants lacked style.

Were they as grey as Jamie O'Hara's? He doesn't use Daz
  • Options
    Easy win today. Llera MOM. Reid had a good day. Not convinced by Bailey or Richardson today - could do better.

Well done Parky for leaving Sodje out for Llera.

Our pitch is awful!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    Our pitch is awful!

Some people just have to find SOMETHING to moan about!
    ;o)
  • Options
    Good win in the end after a bit of a wobbly start. Lets build on it in midweek.
  • Options
    Looks like the confidence returned after we got our second goal and we started playing some really good football. If we had got a third I think we would have gone on and got 4 or 5. Really need to follow this up with a good performance on Tuesday - we've got out of our rot, and we don't won't to get straight back in to it again.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What the hell was Patrick Kisnorbo doing going over to Adam Virgo after his tackle in the Leeds game today, holding him in a bear hug and then appearing to strike out at him? Total pr***, shouldn't have been on the pitch to set up their customary 90th minute equaliser
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]Still letting the oppo have too many chances, give chances like that away when we play Saints and Norwich we will be in trouble.

Looked better going forward though, created more than recent games.
    True, but the first win and clean sheet in a while was never going to be a brilliant all round performance. Something to build on and gives us hope again.

Did seem to be a much more open game, right decision to drop Semedo.

I did notice a lot of play went down the left in the end, made it hard for Sam to get involved.