Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views Charlton Athletic 2-0 Yeovil Town

124»

Comments

• Options
    First impression was Yeovil came to play their own game - and not intent on clogging us.
    A few times side they cut us open on the break with intelligent play, so big thanks to Robbie for staying big.

Some people say Yeovil were poor but I though they were quite a neat and tidy passing side - but they made the mistake of allowing us the room to play; and once in the lead our confidence began to flow back, we had that bit extra quality in the tank.

Crowd were very quiet .....we only sing when we winning.
  • Options
    Oggy was surprisingly sober when I saw him after the game, think that just means I was p*ssed!

Was glad that Llera got a chance in front of Sodje and thought he took it well. Thought Jackson looked superb, on that performance looked better than this league, god knows what he was doing in L2!

Great couple of tackles from Bailey that set up the goal and great save by Elliott to get Bailey out of jail a bit later.

Hope we can carry this into Tuesday, was thinking about missing it as I'm out most of the week but I'll definitely be there now.
  • Options
    As a few others have said, by the end it felt a bit like the early season feel good factor, with players wanting the ball to show what they could do. 2 orthodox wingers helped; even if it naturally left more gaps and could've cost us, it made us far more enjoyable to watch and suited the personnel we fielded. We might need a physically stroonger, less attck-minded side for certain games but for this type of home game it was nice to see us take it straight to the visitors again.

First goal will be crucial again on Tuesday to maintain confidence levels but if we can win with a bit of style it will make the Southen trip a lot more appetising. Bit worrying to learn Robbie has a slight groin strain - he was excellent, and thankfully doesn't seem to haul down everyone who breaks to face him one on one.
    Richardson too is clearly hampered by his but at least we have Solly or Semedo to stand in.

I understand people's concerns re. the early chances for Yeovil but would rather see chances at both ends and back us to take ours in a fixture like that. Confidence couldn't have been too high at the start but gradually seeped back until everyone wanted the ball and the passing movements began to flow. Great to see several options again for the man in possession rather than team-mates hiding in fear of making mistakes. As has been the case for a long time, we clearly prefer to play sides like that who have a go but let us play.

My biggest concern is still the lack of real potency at the front, regardless of the pairing but 6 more points by Saturday morning would put a very different complexion on our run-in.
  • Options
    It was an OK sort of performance. The pleasing aspect of the performance was that we improved as the game went on which hopefully is a sign the confidence is starting to come back.

Rob was MOM for the saves that kept us in it. Hope we can build on this now particularly as Leeds seem to be under pressure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StubleyAddick[/cite]Am i the only one who saw Burtons Premiership class dummy to set Bailey one-on-one with the keeper? I'm sorry but without burton today i don't think we would of won as easily.

i saw it too... i said to ian at the time quite selfless as if he could have just gone on himself, may be just maybe there might have been another goal. A lovely lay off tho.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]My biggest concern is still the lack of real potency at the front, regardless of the pairing but 6 more points by Saturday morning would put a very different complexion on our run-in.
    It's a worry but even more reason why we've got to keep clean sheets. We're still capable of scoring goals. I think getting the first goal is very important for us, really can change the way the team play.
  • Options
    Got to say i think the Ref had a blinder as well and let the game flow superbly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]Got to say i think the Ref had a blinder as well and let the game flow superbly.

Agree - probably the best ref we'd had at The Valley all season.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]Got to say i think the Ref had a blinder as well and let the game flow superbly.

Agree - probably the best ref we'd had at The Valley all season.

We all said this too as we were leaving the ground on Sat - What a breath of fresh air to have a ref that wasn't going to put up with the play acting or niggles throughout the match - It's like he was old school, plucked out of the 70/80's and dropped into 2010.

Reid - V Impressed on Sat - exactly the kind of player we have been after for a while
    Jackson - for someone who only turned up on thursday - fitted in perfectly and from my point of view, he had no nerves and is very confident on the ball

It was so nice to finally leave the Valley and feel like the old Charlton were back - who ever kiddnapped our team for the last 4 weeks will be hunted down and shot!! :o)
  • Options
    Still impressed, although watching highlights back shows we still need to cut some of these chances out at the back. Llera was much better than I expected though, solid perfomance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i thought the ref was poor missed 2 big pen claims for us and missed numerous fouls by our players and theirs, the yeovil directors and staff thought he was one of the worst they had seen this year
  • Options
    I thought the ref was one of the best this season.
  • Options
    Jesus Christ! Who'd be a referee?

The winners think you're the best they have seen all season and the losers think you're the worst!

On a different tack, I think the referee from the Rovers game deserves huge credit for having the balls to phone Parky and say sorry for not red carding the Basey tackle.

My view is that it was so early in the game that people could not believe the tackler had gone in that badly.

If it had happened further into the game then it might have been a red card, it was similar to a cricket umpire turning down a plumb LBW on the first ball of an innings.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i thought the ref was poor missed 2 big pen claims for us and missed numerous fouls by our players and theirs, the yeovil directors and staff thought he was one of the worst they had seen this year

Were these the penalty claims where it hit players on the back and everyone screamed handball?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'd just like to say how glad I am that Llera is getting praise from everyone on this site, because I really like this player.
    Yes, he made a few mistakes at the back this season but who hasn't in this team, particularly the other CB's: Sodje and Dailly.

Llera gives absolutely 100% and he plays his heart out for the team - never disappears like others, epitomised by his equaliser (with 9 men) against Swindon.

He trys to distribute the ball to attack from defence (doesn't always work) but when it comes off his 60 yard left to right passes are Gerrard-esque. He does far more right than wrong in my book.

Right now, I would rather have this type of passionate player in my team wearing our shirt. If he makes a mistake now and then guys and gals please don't make him the scapegoat again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Llera gives absolutely 100% and he plays his heart out for the team.

Fully agree with that.
  • Options
    I thought there was a foul before the first goal. Having said that the ref let a lot go on both sides, which as a spectator I'd rather see than the constant whistling you normally get.