Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southend vs. Charlton - Preview, Poll, Teams, Doom-mongering

WSSWSS
edited February 2010 in General Charlton
Oh I do like to be beside the seaside; oh I do like to be beside the seaaaa…..

What seems like an endless and painful torture tolled out to us by Messrs Parky and his team of not so merry men – we venture down to Southend on Friday night to sample the dinky doughnuts and fish and chips while getting served up a dollop of football on the pitch.

After getting taught a lesson of perfect counter-attacking football last Tuesday by another seaside team we need to get back to our roots (hall) and get a win under our belts or it really will be a case of nervously looking over our shoulders at those in 7th/8th place.

Disillusioned, past-caring, boring, fed-up are just some of the words that people are describing Charlton and their performances at the moment and we really need to see a chink of light to get fans back on side and confidence flowing throughout the team. Will it come? I’m not too sure.

We have ‘played’ 3 games in 6 days on some heavy pitches and I really think certain positions in the team need freshening up for Friday. With Burton seemingly out of the game, the decision is whether to go 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. I’m tempted to go 4-5-1 giving Semedo back his place and then allowing Bailey and Racon Shelvey supporting, here we go, Akpo up front.

Although I rate Reid, I think his lack of match fitness is showing in the second half of games (as is Sam’s) and I think we should give Wagstaff a run out at the expense of one of the wingers. Hopefully Richardson will make it but I am comfortable at Solly filling in at right back.

Big away following, a classic away day, but a typical Charlton performance I’m afraid.

0-0.

Off you go…

Comments

• Options
    1-1, Southend to equalise in last minutes :-(

My Team would be:

Elliot
    Richardson-Sodje-Llera-Jackson
    Sam- Bailey-Shelvey-Reid
    ---Mooney-Mckenzie---

Would have to go 442, as i think without Burton none of our strikers are good enough to play 451. This team would do some damage, but the key would be shelvey & bailey both sitting when required
  • Options
    More rain is forecast over the next 36 hours - if the game is on then obviously whoever deals with the conditions best will win. Southend are dreadul at the moment but I have no faith in us to make the most of it. 1-0 Southend.
  • Options
    Got tickets for this, not looking forward to going one bit.

I think we'll lose 1-0 and it'll be a terrible game.

Don't think it really matters who we put out, nothing seems to be working
  • Options
    Jesus Christ. Oggy - get on here now!
  • Options
    -elliott-
    richardson - llera - dailly - semedo
    wagstaff - bailey - spring - jackson
    -shelvey-
    -mackenzie-

still gonna lose though.
  • Options
    I have seen nothing from recent form to suggest we will get anything from a crap Southend team therefore I predict Southend 2 Charlton 0, and a seriously teadious game full of tactical errors from Parky.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited February 2010
    Mckenzie a start, Shelvey back, Bailey back in position with Semedo slotting in.

Dailly & Llera at the back.

0-1
  • Options
    Loads of rain in Southend this week and more forecast. Fields are flooded near where I live (Benfleet about 6 miles away). Does anyone know if the game is in doubt at all?
  • Options
    2-1 to us.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To lose would mean we have taken just 15 pts from our last 13 games and even the play-offs really will start to slip from our grasp. I just can't acccept that - and presumably nor can the chairman, as he said promotion is ''imperative''.

So sticking my neck out and without a huge amount of conviction, I'm going for a 0-1 to us, Bailey to score against his old club.

I'd bring in Wagstaff and Shelvey to freshen it up and introduce some youthful hunger.

After lots of games that were almost 'must wins' but not quite, I think this one really is. Another failure on Friday night and I fear the season will fall apart iretrievably. If we can pull out if off, that will be two wins in a week; we can then try to forget Tuesday night's horrorr show and live to fight another day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2010
    generally i would say that a team on level points with the relegation zone and especially one that hasn't won in 2010 or the last 8 realistically are the sort that even with me in charge,even i could get us to beat them,they are that bad.added in that our away form (resultwise) is excellent and with a decent away support down there.nothing less than the win should be expected.

unfortunately at the moment though,it's parky still in charge and we look really crap.

2-1 southend.
  • Options
    southend have already drawn at home with swindon, millwall and leeds this season so another stern test in what is proving to be a real tough league
    a point will be most welcome to stop the rot and give our promotion push another boost
    in all honesty it doesn't matter who he puts out cos collectively we're pony and the worse charlton side i've seen in my 33 years of following them but i still fancy us to make the play-offs (probably cos the thought of not making them is unthinkable)
    COYR
  • Options
    it should also be pointed out that they scored against norwich on tuesday
  • Options
    1-1. We will obviously conceed at least one but hopefully Bailey will be allowed a more attacking role and will equalise for us against his old 'mates'!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]it should also be pointed out that they scored against norwich on tuesday

and were leading or drawing against norwich for all but injury time... so not to be taken lightly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]it should also be pointed out that they scored against norwich on tuesday

More worringly, they scored first and Norwich came back - something that has been beyond us of late...

That's why I've gone for a 0-1 to us. We have to keep a clean sheet because if they do score first, we're doomed!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]

and were leading or drawing against norwich for all but injury time... so not to be taken lightly

As were we ;-)
  • Options
    1-0 Southend

They are half decent at home, gave us a good game at home and are due a bit of luck after the other night which proves they aren't playing too badly.

Mooney and Akpo up front is destined to be the worst forward line I have seen in all my years of following the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Mooney and Akpo up front is destined to be the worst forward line I have seen in all my years of following the club.

agreed
  • Options
    This has got to be the most depressing/pessimistic pre match poll on here ever! lol so hopefully they prove us wrong when we least expect it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]lol so hopefully they prove us wrong when we least expect it?

they did on tuesday............ charlton win 71 votes draw 10 votes brighton win 8 votes ;-(
  • Options
    4-4-2

GK: Elliot
    RB: Richardson
    CB: Dailly
    CB: Llera
    LB: Jackson
    RM: Bailey
    CM: Semedo
    CM: Racon
    LM: Reid
    ST: Sodje
    ST: Mooney

Would like to see Spring start instead of Racon but couldnt see it happening.

Would like to see Bailey on the right of midfield doing a Graham Stuart kind of job instead of playing on the left.

Stick Shelvey back on the bench aswell.
  • Options
    After we lose this game, Parkinson will use the usual crappy excuses about so many games in a week and the players looking jaded etc etc.
  • Options
    Southend are hovering dangerously on the edge of the relegation zone so will be up for it. Will we to the same degree?

2-1 Southend
  • Options
    4-4-2

Elliot

Richardson
    Llera
    Dailly
    Jackson

Wagstaff
    Semedo
    Racon
    Bailey

Mckenzie
    Mooney
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Screamer[/cite]After we lose this game, Parkinson will use the usual crappy excuses about so many games in a week and the players looking jaded etc etc.

More credible than arguing that we might have had a chance v Bristol Rovers if we'd been playing against ten men and the ref (who had already allowed over 100 mins in the game) had given us a bit longer to get the equaliser!!!

Thought that was the closest Parky has come to a Pardew moment. Any manager is always going to look for excuses when a mic is thrust in his face straight after losing , but I'd say he's usually quite dignified in defeat. Unfortunately, it's started happening a bit more regularly than it did in the first half of the season and so his dignity is inevitably being taxed a bit more!
  • Options
    4-1 win to Charlton. Shelvey 2 on the eve of his birthday and Bailey 2 against his old team
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]4-1 win to Charlton. Shelvey 2 on the eve of his birthday and Bailey 2 against his old team

That'll do it :-)
  • Options
    i hate going against my team but i feel we havent got enough about us anymore so im going for southend to do us 2-1 hope im wrong.
  • Options
    Southend mate who went to Norwich said they played really well.

However, i'm going for as near to a comfortable away win as we are ever likely to get in Charlton terms.