Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Save 6 Music!

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
Well, as some of you may know, there is a rumour going around that 6 Music (along with the BBC Asian Network) is to be axed. The best music radio station in the world which is very dear to all real music lovers. This has started a shytestorm on Facebook, Twitter (which it has broken due to people registering to support the campaign) and various other sites as the campaign mobilises to save one of the true beacons of quality left in the BBC.

Contrast this with BBC 3 (the crappy digital station) which now is almost completely irrelevant and has lots of competitors that do the job much better; and produces a non-stop torrent of absolute shyte (just check out some of the crap they transmit these days). Axing this wart on Auntie's arse could save more than enough to pay for 6 music and maintain the BBC's website which is also under threat (and generally pretty good too). Add in facts such as this from an industry expert 'To give you an example of the scale of just the BBC's new media gravy train, a year ago the Corporation advertised the replacement of one "social media executive" position with five social media executives at the same pay grade - almost £60,000 a year a piece. Before expenses.' and the wrongness of this step could not be more apparent.

I don't give a monkey's about the BBCAN as it always seemed a clumsy attempt at trying to pigeonhole a whole demographic and their listening habits (think of the diversity within the Asian community) powered by the previously trendy identity politics of the time. But 6 Music is pure quality (with no similar competitors anywhere) and if you haven't listened to it before and like proper music, you will love it.

So, music lovers, unite and fight for your right to hear decent music!

Comments

• Literally the only thing I ever listen to it. If this went I don't know what I'd do when it comes to working, its become the background music to my life.
  • Would be an absolute disgrace to get rid of 6 music, I know a couple of different bands who have both had their first UK airplay through this station and many bands coming out now owe a lot to the chance they got through this station. As you say there is so much other crap on the beeb they can get rid of but I really cannot see (if the rumours are true) that they are even considering axing one of their more popular radio stations. Stop paying "celebrity" DJs on radio 1 and spend the money more wisely
  • Apparently, and I'm not certain of this fact but it's not improbable.

Moyle's is paid £6.3m while 6Music cost £6m to run a year! It's absurd, Radio1 is a station that is mimicked by Kiss, Capital, Absolute & XFM, there is absolutely nothing like 6Music out there.
  • Radio 2 is not under threat is it?
  • edited March 2010
    Glad you feel so passionate about 6 music bigstemarra......
    Seems to fly in the face of the Chairmas comment that the BBC should not be chasing ratings, but produce programmes of quality.

I appreciate that 6 music is not for everyone, but it is a unique quality music station that is one of the best things on the bbc.

Strange times at the bbc, one of the reasons I am leaving in April....... well full time anyway.
  • Gutted - the only resaon I bought a DAB radio
  • The earliest it will get the Spanish is late 2011 so plenty of time to get saved.
  • Im bit confused 6 music? what frequenzy is that, never heard of it

i listen to radio one- Chris Moyles/Ferbe Cotton(at work) & Kiss any other time
  • I work at the BBC and just seen it confirmed that 6 music and the asian network are being shut.

We've all been called to a meeting later to hear more details.
  • Absolute disgrace, I want a refund on my licence fee!
  • Sponsored links:

• I have just cancelled the direct debit for my TV licence - if they want my money to keep making strictly come dancing and other celebrity based shyte they can stick it up their collective *rses. No 6 music - no licence fee. I will happily reinstate it if they change their minds, but to kill the one thing I love above all others is just too much to bear.

Hopefully the committee will see sense.
  • edited March 2010
    I agree, 6 Music is actually a decent and sadly undervalued station, I quite enjoy BBC 7 as well (suppose that will get the chop too) For a corporation that was trumpeting that it would not be chasing ratings they then go and mimic much of the dirge that Itv output- Strictly come dancing and other such celebrity based shite of which Bigstemarra speaks.
    Look at the unadulterated shite on BBC 3 for example most of whats on there even C5 would be embarrased to show, if cuts have to be made how about there?
    On a different tangent regarding the BBC charge -A brave government will eventually force them to make money via means other than the licence which looks more and more absurd with the passing of time imho. I know the Beeb has it's fans and some people have no problem with the licence fee, I just think that now what with the masses of choice we have it's time for them to explore different means of finacing themselves- subscription perhaps. To even consider getting rid of such a station is appalling.
  • what or where is 6 music and if it is so good why dont people listen to it

is it because people dont know where it is
  • DAB radio, online or on cable,satellite and freeview.
  • Ken, just seen the from cover of Ariel. Nice shade of Black
  • BDLBDL
    edited March 2010
    Used to work for a commercial station and have to say it irked us how the stations got free advertising on Auntie. The sort of stuff it would have cost us millions to achieve.

However the BBC has a duty to provide services to the entire community of this country. Could you imagine the uproar north of the border if they said ok, we're going to close BBC Alba? So just to please the Tories and a bunch of neo-nazi Daily Mail readers (a paper that obviously has a policy of not letting the truth get in the way of a good story) the Trust decide to cave in and return to it's little hole.

If BBC 6 goes then it is pretty much the end of radio in this country. Commercial radio is run by idiots who have no idea what happens in real life because an opinion poll tells them that people want to listen to George Michael, Elton John and Tina Turner in strict rotation. 6 music is pretty diverse, I listen occasionally on-line and it's not to everyones taste. That is exactly the point! And that is what the BBC are missing. I fear for this country if the "moral" majority or whatever they call themselves these days get their way.

Talking of crawling into a hole - I wish Kelvin McKenzie would! @hole.
  • You can join the Facebook protest group at
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=278123313911

It already has nearly 92,000 members! Bloody hell!

But people are saying that its more important to protest to the BBC Trust:
    srconsultation@bbc.co.uk

Michael Grade would never have done this.
  • Oh come on!
    Why should the BBC pander to 600.000 listeners (less in the case of Asian network) in a population of 6 .6 million plus?
    Stick a couple of slots on Radio 2 - lets face it how many of 6 supporters listen to ALL of its output
    Give the licence payers the money back that the BBC save or invest it in original material for the majority of us forced to pay the licence fee.
    why TF would the BBC pander to the arses in the Daily Mail. Non sequitor of the year. Shurely?
    6 is a luxury we cant afford and dont need. End of radio? What??
    Why not campaign for a BBC cuntry and Wetern station?
    The majority of licence fee payers must account for the majority of outpus - its called a democracy

Imagine the impact if they ran commecials on Radio 1
    End of commercial music stations in the UK
  • Have to say that as a wind up merchant Floyd is good.

Obvious and rather laboured writing style but waits until a few people say they like something and then pounces like a slightly overweight panther.
  • Who let you off the naughty step Henry?
    I will aspire to your cynical writing style as soon as I can. Any guidance oh great one>
    Waiting or finding time in the day to log on and check the posts? Clearly you know best, or you could check the Who's online timings?

As well as improving my style to meet your required standards, perhaps I should find a personal trainer to avoid weight centred jibes?

As you can be the obi wan knobe of wind ups, I bask in the glow of your sniping greatness
  • Sponsored links:

• By your logic, Floyd there should only be music as made by Simon Cowell (oh, and Westlife) in the charts and X-Factor and Strictly Come Dancing on the TV. They are the most 'popular' things, after all. It is precisely due to this fact that people like me need 6 Music to keep sane. There has to be something for people who actually like music and don't view it as incidental wallpaper that doesn't actually need to be any good.

I have e-mailed the BBC trust. Apparently now their website is broken due to the volume of complaints. And yes, if more people had digital radios (which they are, bit by bit) then the listenership would increase. All I can say, NLA, is that when people I know have discovered it, they have become massive fans pretty quickly - this is down to the diversity of the music as well as the great DJ's that can be found therein.

Plus, I very much agree with you BDL. My cousin works in commercial radio and it is an unremitting musical black hole run by double glazing salesman/marketing types who give not a flying fig about what they actually broadcast. That's what happens when you bring advertising into the equation!
  • [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Who let you off the naughty step Henry?
    I will aspire to your cynical writing style as soon as I can. Any guidance oh great one>
    Waiting or finding time in the day to log on and check the posts? Clearly you know best, or you could check the Who's online timings?

As well as improving my style to meet your required standards, perhaps I should find a personal trainer to avoid weight centred jibes?

As you can be the obi wan knobe of wind ups, I bask in the glow of your sniping greatness

I take it back.

Your wind ups are quite poor actually.

LLLBH
  • I thank you
    And rest assured tonight Henry, I learn from each and every one of your winding-up posts.
    I see you as my special mentor
    And BTW, spending millions on a station listened to by less than 1% of the population remains a great idea.
    In your world anyway, and yes, you have succesasfully educated me with your persuasive argument.
  • Right i am in the office all day DAB to hand i love my music very varied tastes dont like 1 genre so

here goes i am going tolisten to 6 music all day before i make a judgement may i suggest the rest of you who have not listened to it do the same and then the debate will be worth while
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Right i am in the office all day DAB to hand i love my music very varied tastes dont like 1 genre so

here goes i am going tolisten to 6 music all day before i make a judgement may i suggest the rest of you who have not listened to it do the same and then the debate will be worth while

Good idea.

Just got in up on the 'puter.

Tempted to listen to History of Trojan but will stick with today's show.
  • liking the music, hating the DJs
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]liking the music, hating the DJs

agreed
  • The shows I listen to on 6 Music

Tom Robinson Introducing
    Guy Garveys Finest Hour
    Jarvis Cocker
    Stuart Maconies Freakzone

Never listen live, always on listen again through iplayer
  • there is some weird stuff on there but so far it is quite good
  • Was listening to news today and it costs £6m pa to fund 6 music which has an average weekly listeners of 600k.

Additionally they say the Asian Network cost £9.5 m a year to fund and only gets a relatively paltry 350k a week.

They also said that the BBC pay £2k a week in taxi fares to get hansen and shearer to and from the beeb from their homes oop norf.