Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Save 6 Music!

Comments

• Options
    first song when i turned on this afternoon - the who's 'teenage wasteland' - class

sign here (sorry, can't get link to insert today)

http://www.petition.fm/petitions/6musicasiannet/1000/
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bigster, perhaps you can copy and paste your email, or a version of, so that others who may not have the time etc can use it as a template... Just an idea.
  • Options
    Right i tuned in first 2 hours was good some weird tunes but pretty good, last hour no not for me got bored with it TBH

i am now tuned into the BBC Asian bit of Bangra beats not too sad quite uplifting tBF
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NLA, I recommend listening in the evening. Lamacq, then Riley then Coe (who this week is replaced by Gary Crowley, who I like too) - I especially recommend Gideon Coe, who is my favourite DJ. Also, if you fancy getting in the mood to go out on a Saturday, I recommed the funk and soul show with Craig Charles - it's great and really sets you up for a night on the town...

Looky - this is what I sent to the review people at srconsultation@bbc.co.uk...it is my personal opinion, so you will want to edit it and cut out the waffle! I thought a tone of polite concern was the best approach...

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to object in the strongest possible terms to the proposal to close 6 Music which is a shining light of quality in a sea of dross which appears to have grown exponentially since the advent of digital media. That it is proposed that it be axed while BBC3 is to survive speaks volumes of the extent to which the ethos of the BBC has been devalued or simply ignored. If we, as customers want tacky, populist rubbish, we can get it anywhere. What we cannot get anywhere is quality entertainment which 6 Music, like the BBC's wildlife output and BBC 4, provide to a grateful British public.

6 Music is what the BBC is for...intelligent and entertaining; and it also fills a niche which is not addressed by any other radio station. It actually makes me feel proud to be able to pay a licence fee because it provides what a commercial radio station cannot. If it is abolished then I will simply feel abandoned by the BBC as the vast majority of its content does not appeal to me. Please prevent this proposal from becoming a reality.

Many thanks etc.

Tell your friends!

Also, join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=info&gid=278123313911#!/group.php?v=wall&gid=278123313911

Now over 120,000 members - there was only approaching 100k last night...
  • Options
    Have to agree with BDL, having worked on the same stations I am in total agreement, playlisting at the commercial stations is killing radio, its all the same wherever you tune your radio, at least we had control over what was played, sadly that is very rare, there is nothing more soul destroying than playing the same old crap day in day out, i have done it and hated it with a passion, BBC 6 is not my cup of tea, but it is important, where else will new bands get airplay? not at the likes of Capital etc, BBC 6 serves a purpose, its similar in spirit to what John Peel did, nobody doubts his huge influence on music over the past 40 years. The readers of the Daily Mail have a lot to answer for, and this decision is purely the BBC pandering to a possible change of government. As for changing the format of Radio 2 to more speech, that would be a huge error, right now it has the balance right in its daytime programming, having said that can we lose Jeremy Vine?
  • Options
    Never heard of it so let the axe fall...
  • Options
    I dont listen to the radio, but just curious as to what type of music they play on this 6 music?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite] I especially recommend Gideon Coe, who is my favourite DJ.

I'm sure he used to be on Charlton Live back in the day, the sunday night show with Mark Mansfield. There can't be too many Gideon Coe's about, so it has to be him. Anyone else remember him?
  • Options
    Dont think Gideon Coe was on Charlton Live, he is a Spurs Fan, although he did do some work for Clubcall back in the day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Dont think Gideon Coe was on Charlton Live, he is a Spurs Fan, although he did do some work for Clubcall back in the day.

I'm sure he used to be on there at some point, they used to go round all the clubs like Gravesend, Erith, Welling etc chatting to someone from the club about their result the day before and then Coe used to do a piece later in the show. Convinced it was him but maybe i'm wrong. The show might not have even been called charlton live back then as they were covering other local clubs, even Millwall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CommentAuthorValleyGary CommentTime21 minutes ago quote# 38
    I dont listen to the radio, but just curious as to what type of music they play on this 6 music?
    Think you just got ignored VG
  • Options
    Did not intend to ignore VG was trying to work out how to describe as its an eclectic mix!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ken, just seen the from cover of Ariel. Nice shade of [size=20]Black[/size]
    yep black is my favourite colour..... and seemed to fit the mood at the bbc these days!
    Listerning to the DG now, the essence seems to be yess 6 music great station, yes bbc blast great job,etc etc.

So good and great but they are gonna close. Simple solution DG close Radio 1......and 1 extra,(Only came about becaus'e of the pop pirates, emap can do a national pop station network or Murdoch,) bbc 3 etc, and sell lonely planet as we do not do a travel programme!. Then the 'critics' can have there pound or so of 'flesh, or cash as it is..... and the bbc can appeal to niche audiences

Gideon Coe.... photographed him last summer, at 6 extra works with Viv Stanshall's son of Bonzo dog fame, did not realise he was a Charlton fan!, God there must be almost half a dozen at the bbc now on this site! as well.......
  • Options
    Ken Gideon is a Spurs fan!
  • Options
    While I feel for the likes of Big S, who is losing a service that he clearly loves, this Facebook protest stuff is shit, plain and simple. If the 120,000 people who signed up to this could be arsed to listen to 6 Music once in a while, none of this would have happened. None of it. I appreciate that we don't want a situation where the BBC becomes a purely mainstream broadcaster pandering to the majority (who are often idiots). However, the demise of 6 Music is not because it's not getting the same listenership as Radio One. When the BBC set it up, they were quite aware that it was a niche channel. What has lead to this decision, clearly, is that it isn't pulling in the listeners, even while considering it isn't a mass channel. I quite like it, but I don't listen to it much, so I'm not going to whine about it finishing. The many millions of Wimbledon fans who decry the loss of their local (league) football club, may wish to take notice.

Summary: use it or lose it. Don't wait for it to be too late, then sign up to a facebook group crying about it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    CommentAuthorValleyGary CommentTime21 minutes ago quote# 38
    Think you just got ignored VG

lol im used to it mate.
  • Options
    Actually Ken, that's a great Idea - Close R1 and 1extra - let Fart and all the other "that was, this is" clones do the pop sh*t. Make Six R1's rightful replacement
  • Options
    How do they know how many people listen to a radio station anyway?

Do they survey 1000 people and then multiply the results by 60,000?

Just curious....as they have no way of knowing what I am listening to on my DAB radio!

..and I agree with Ken's suggestion too.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited March 2010
    It's done by RAJAR. People are issued with diaries and asked to keep a track of what they listen to and at what time.

Actually it's pretty flawed and not really accurate (in my opinion). Our mate Kelvin, for once, had a decent idea. There is new technology available that the person wears like a watch. It's able to pick up the signal of the station you are listening to. McKenzie argued that his station's actual listenership (talkSh*te) wasn't being properly reflected by the diary system.

Internet Radio is obviously easier to keep track of. I went to Virgin, now Absolute's HQ a couple of years back in Golden Square and they have a huge display telling them how many people are listening on the web at any given moment.

I would also imagine that the next quarters results will see a huge leap in listeners for 6 music.
  • Options
    Would this watch be able to detect if I'm looking at Babestation?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Would this watch be able to detect if I'm looking at Babestation?

No but the wife/partner/er' indoors might if you forget to change channels before you turn off the box.
  • Options
    An amateur's error. I've got the God Channel on the blue button. I've convinced her the mess on the couch is the face of the Virgin Mary.
  • Options
    Can you check what someone has watched on their Sky Box? my son has a box in his room and if he is anything like me at 14 I would quite like to know what he is watching, purely for parental control reasons you understand......
  • Options
    Probably videos of Danny Mills so he can stand up and shout abuse
  • Options
    No trust me given a choice of abusing Danny Mills or Babestation I knwo which one he would prefer! Especiallly since ont eh way home form a game recently in the car Kevin Sweeney told us exactly what channels had freeview the times, and how much he enjoyed Essex Girls 40+ channel!
  • Options
    A shame to lose R6, hopefully they'll take the better programmes/DJs etc and stick them on R1 and reduce all the playlist shit they pump out on R1. If the BBC is going to downsize in favour of quality over quantity (fair enough) then R6 is exactly what they should be trying to promote, the commercial radio stations can play all that over-produced, over-hyped Simon Cowell paid for crap.
  • Options
    i am going to listen to it again allday at work last chance for me 6 music as i am on the road all week next week and have no DAB in me lorry
  • Options
    6 Music has been saved, thank god for that, helps me get through the day.
  • Options
    good news, they must've have saved a packet on jonathan ross' salary to be able to keep it going