Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Save 6 Music!

13»

Comments

• Options
    I was hearing rumours about this last week, and it was heavily leaked leaked in this mornings Guardian Media...... Alway's seemd a bizzare and awkward move by the bbc, I really felt this was a PR ' kite flying move' to galvanise people to get public support. In many ways 6 music was the blueprint for what the bbc should be doing,not trying to compete in the mass, pop market, but trying to maintain new music,by unestablished musicians, and not the mainstream. i.e. John Peel. In fact they should have got John involved in this, before his death. He would have been perfect as the station controller, or artistic director.

Having worked at the bbc, this went down like a cup of 'cold sick' I can tell you!. Most people would have preffered closing Radio 1 IMO, it would have had more of a financial effect, and left the market for the so called free market. Good to see the station carrying on.
  • Options
    Fantastic news.

...and well said Ken!

If it was a galvanising move, then it certainly worked. 6 Music now has a vastly increased listener base and it motivated lots of people to consider what the British media landscape would look like without the BBC providing a different, more cerebral approach to those that want it.

So, if you want to know what the alternative is...switch over to ITV for a bit and listen to your local commercial radio station. Either should be sufficiently terrifying to have you reaching for the TV licence direct debit form!

Long live the BBC - despite its faults, it shits all over any of the alternatives. Sometimes we don't realise how lucky we are in this country.