Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your England Squad

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: agim[/cite]Why is everyone not considering Joe Cole?

Because he's played for Chelsea about 5 times this season.
  • overrated, overhyped, never close to fulfilling his potential, billy big b*llocks, injury prone, out of nick you tube player
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]dont know how anyone can say take Hargreaves, he has not played for donkeys!

He won't play professional football again.
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Lastly, I left out Frank Lampard. I'd rather see Gerard played in his natural position than being forced out of position to get Lampard in the team. For me, its all about balance. When Lampard and Gerard play together, it just doesnt work full stop.

Since when has Gerrard been a central midfielder? He rarely (if ever) plays there for Liverpool. We would get ripped to pieces if he played centre midfield. Interesting to see a majority leave Robert Green out - I too am surprised Fabio rates him above James, Hart and Robbo.

Thats very true about Gerrard actually. Put him with anyone upagainst the likes of Xavi and Innesta, he'd be torn to shreds. I need to have a rethink lol.
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Indeed. Even United fans are split on him. A lot of tottenham I knew were very happy with what they got for him (Palacios looks a better player!), but then a few others really rated him.

I just don't really think he is as talented as the media make out and that's without adding in his west ham connections!

Huddlestone is another. He should be a superb player, he looks to possess the size to dominate and outmuscle the midfield, but he rarely does. He shows glimpses of graceful and incisive passing, then reverts back to giving it away. He will hit a thunderous shot, but hit many wayward ones. He just looks a yard off the pace in all areas, needs to lose some timber & sharpen his brain!

I never really rated Carrick to be fair but you only appreciated him when he was missing. He was a massive lynchpin in the Martin Jol side and we struggled for long periods the season after he went to Man Utd. Still cant get over we got £18m for him though. That was madness. Qudos to Daniel Levy, he certainly seems to get decent transfer fees negotiated for our players when needed. However, would take the choice of Sgt Palacios all day over Carrick.

I tend to agree with you re: Huddlestone. Thats exactly what makes him so frustrating to watch. Lack of pace and lack of concentration. Give him time and space, what I think he will get at international level, he can tear teams apart with his passing ability. However, both him and Palacios are both as guilty as each other when getting their heads up and passing straight to an opponent no less than 10 yards away. However, would still pick him all day long before letting Frank Lampard anywhere near my squad.
  • Im going to do this as bored......

GK: Green, Hart, Kirkland = 3
    D: Johnson, ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Warnock, Lescott, Neville = 7
    M: Milner, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Walcott, Lennon(if unfit SWP), Young, Parker(assuming Hargreaves is not fit) = 8
    F: Rooney, Crouch, Bent, Defoe, Heskey

Probably in the order i picked them theres your starting 11 well sort of but well do that one nearer the time!
  • green, hart, james

def : johnson, neville, a cole, terry, ferdinand , jagielka, upson, wes brown,

mid - gerrard, lampard. barry, milner, wright phillips, walcott, adam johnson, carrick

strikers - rooney, bent, defoe, crouch, heskey
  • One too many players there, Ledge! Great shout on Jagielka though, much better than Upson.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]One too many players there, Ledge! Great shout on Jagielka though, much better than Upson.

You actually counted!!!! Coat......
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]One too many players there, Ledge! Great shout on Jagielka though, much better than Upson.

You actually counted!!!! Coat......

It just looked too good a squad... too good to be allowed in fact :)
  • edited April 2010
    Goalkeepers: Green, Hart
    Defenders: Ferdinand, Terry, Jagielka, A. Cole, G. Johnson, Neville, Baines, Dawson
    Midfielders: Gerrard, Barry, Milner, A. Johnson, Lampard, Carrick, SWP, J. Cole
    Strikers: Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Bent, Heskey

This is assuming that Cashley is fit and his brother Joe is also fit and playing well. If not should be replaced by Warnock and Walcott/Lennon/A. Young. Also fear Agbonlahor might get on the plane over Bent.

Very difficult decision with the attacking options.
  • There's 23 in Ledge's squad.

2+8+8+5.
  • Sponsored links:

• pointless anyone taking less than 3 keepers it won't (and can't) happen
  • edited April 2010
    Green, James, Almunia Kirkland (thanks for reminding me dan)

Ferdinand, Terry, Johnson, A Cole, Cahill, Jagiekla, Baines, Wanock

Gerrard, Barry, Young, SWP, J Cole, Lampard, Milner, Arteta

Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Bent
  • edited April 2010
    Almunia, seriously. Even if he gets English citizenship in time did you not watch the game last night. Made some good saves I grant but none that I could not see Green, Robbo, Hart or even Kirkland making. Then went and made a howler for their first. Also against Brum last week, could you imagine if he made an error like that for England. He'd get booed.

Edit: Good choice to change to Kirkland, he will not go due to injury worries and as far as I know he has a very strict training programme so 2 games a week is not always possible. However like Ledley King, this is a loss as Kirkland is one of the top three English keepers and if 100% fit is more reliable than Green or James. Am sure there are some arsenal fans out there who would rather Kirkland than Almunia in their team
  • [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]There's 23 in Ledge's squad.

2+8+8+5.

3 keepers, not 2
  • 1. Green
    2. Hart
    3. James
    4. Richards
    5. Johnson
    6. Terry
    7. Ferdinand
    8. Lescott
    9. Dawson
    10. A. Cole
    11. Lennon
    12. Walcott
    13. Lampard
    14. Barry
    15. Carrick
    16. Gerrard
    17. J. Cole
    18. Milner
    19. Rooney
    20. Crouch
    21. Defoe
    22. Heskey
    23. Bent
  • S_E_7 - Re: Carlos Cuellar: How does he qualify for England? He has to have been resident here for five years, surely?
  • edited April 2010
    From a relative.
    Would anyone want a foreigner in the team or not ?
  • Can't understand why so many are picking James for their squad. I wouldn't trust the bloke to come and do a job for us let alone England. The occasional blinder but never a tournament player.
  • edited April 2010
    Bournemouth addick - "can't understand why so many are picking James for their squad. I wouldn't trust the bloke to come and do a job for us let alone England. The occasional blinder but never a tournament player".

Name 3 keepers who are better ???
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: S_E_7[/cite]Bournemouth addick - "can't understand why so many are picking James for their squad. I wouldn't trust the bloke to come and do a job for us let alone England. The occasional blinder but never a tournament player".

Name 3 keepers who are better ???[/quote]

I would have him as my thrid choice keeper, so he probably wouldnt even play a game.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: S_E_7[/cite]Bournemouth addick - "can't understand why so many are picking James for their squad. I wouldn't trust the bloke to come and do a job for us let alone England. The occasional blinder but never a tournament player".

Name 3 keepers who are better ???

Me, my mum and next doors dog?

No seriously I know what you're saying but if he's only going as cover for I'd go for Green, Robinson and Hart (if for the experiecne alone). James is and always has been a liability.
  • edited April 2010
    English keepers that are better than James:

Robinson (has the experience aswell)
    Green
    Hart
    Kirkland
    Carson
    Foster

As I said above, James has been awful for the last 2 seasons. Has gone back to the Calamity James and it seems as though many of Pompeys goals are his fault. Against Chelsea for example last week, at least two of the goals he should have done better with.
  • [cite]Posted By: S_E_7[/cite]From a relative.
    Really? You have that on authority, do you? As far as I know, Cuellar's parents and grandparents are all Spanish. WHich 'relative' are you talking about? (Unless FIFA have changed the rules so that your in-laws count...)
  • Got from another forum , didnt think he was eligible either but someone said he qualified through a relative so theymust be wrong
  • I think the biggest concern is the keeper situation - we haven't had a 'world class' keeper for the past 20 years, at best ours are 'European standard' (punch it as far as you can!). The best shot stopper is Robinson, but he lacks height and therefore not very confident with crosses.
    As most have mentioned, if he keeps injury free Jagielka is a must for the squad (Shawcross as back-up). Johnson at fullback is a no no as far as I'm concerned, he's a liablity (+ he had a mare tonight).
    Providing Lampard gets time on the ball he's OK, but lately he's been getting caught too easily - against the better teams, I think our centre midfield could get shown up at the finals.
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]There's 23 in Ledge's squad.

2+8+8+5.

3 keepers, not 2

Just realised after looking closer, the lack of a category name fooled me. :(
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]S_E_7 - Re: Carlos Cuellar: How does he qualify for England? He has to have been resident here for five years, surely?

He wouldn't be eligible unless there is some kind of long lost family member we know not of. This is a interesting one though, if you play 5 years in Scotland, get British citizenship, can you then play for England?
  • On foreigners playing for England, I'd have Arteta in the squad any day!
  • I'm sure you'll all be delighted to learn that Aaron Lennon came through his first full training session without reaction yesterday. Good news for England I'm sure you'll agree.
  • GK - Hart, James, Foster(3)
    Defenders - Johnson, Brown, Terry, Ferdinand, Jagielka, Shawcross, A.Cole, Warnock(8)
    Midfielders, Lennon, A.Johnson, Lampard, Carrick, Gerrard, Huddlestone, J.Cole, Downing(8)
    Strikers - Rooney, Crouch, Bent, Defoe(4)