Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

1161718192022»

Comments

• Options
    alltogether now

We all follow the Charlton on to Victory
  • Options
    Steve, my club Liverpool have just signed Jonjo Shelvey, how good is he and how good can he be? Is he the heir to Steven Gerrard?
    Gareth Aherne, Ireland

Is Shelvey the heir to Steven Gerrard? No. I've seen him three or four times this season and I'm not convinced he is that good, although I'm very rarely convinced by players who are that young.

He's only just turned 18 so I'm certainly not going to write him off but, at this stage, I think he is a million miles away from someone of Gerrard's class.

Shelvey turned down a move to Chelsea this time last year and I can't help thinking he should have done the same again this time around. He's not going to get a game in Liverpool's first team next season and, with moves like this, the best thing to do would be to loan him straight back to the Addicks so he gets games.

I'd rather play in Aldershot's first team than in Liverpool's reserves and that's not just because of what you learn from playing competitive senior football; you just don't feel part of the club unless you're playing regularly.

So, I'm not sure the move is the best thing for Shelvey. We've seen it happen countless times before where a player moves to a bigger club and gets lost, and the size of his fee won't mean anything because £1.7m is a drop in the water for the likes of Liverpool.

still can't work out how to do links, but the above is Steve Claridge's view on Shelvey's transfer from his BBC column
  • Options
    Dear Steve, he wasn't getting games at Charlton. Please learn more about football.

Love Chunes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Dear Steve, he wasn't getting games at Charlton. Please learn more about football.

Love Chunes

LOL, kinda what I was thinking !
  • Options
    If he was good enough Claridge would have been offered a chance to play for Liverpool.

I wonder what his decision would have been then....

Incidentally Uncle - has Jonjo been given any assurances about Rafa, Torres and Gerrard for next season? I think everyone has heard that Stevie G is possibly heading to Real Madrid in the summer to link up with Mourinho and I wondered if he had any news on that score?
    Cheers
  • Options
    Uncle,

I'm fascinated by the wording that Liverpool may have used in Jonjo's contract regarding this guarantee that "he will make 15 first team appearances next season."

You have seen it. I have not.

But do Liverpool really pick their teams so far in advance? Or is the statement more of an expectation on their part rather than a guarantee?

Either way, I'm sure you have picked up on the fact that all of us wish Jonjo every success, despite mixed views as to how it might all pan out.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Liverpool play a lot of games in various cups and in Europe. League cup, FA cup they don't always play their first choice side.

Not sure when the home grown rule comes in but if Shelvey was bought partly, and I say only partly, because he is English and so helps fulfil their quota then maybe he will get plenty of games next season or at least places on the bench.

Good for us if there are fees paid after each appearance or after so many appearances.

Whether we rate him or not (I do even if I don't think we was as good as Bowyer at the same age but was better than Parker - Scott didn't kick on until going to Norwich aged 20) we should all want to see one of our ex players do well as it is a boost to the academy and should earn us more money.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]still can't work out how to do links, but the above is Steve Claridge's view on Shelvey's transfer from his BBC column
    I thought I had read something on here before about Claridge's opinion on Shelvey. I've said before, Shelvey is not one the "wonderkids" like Rooney who is already a very good player, he's still got a lot to learn and can improve in most areas. There was something about Claridge saying Shelvey was overrated, but no one ever hyped him up as England or even Premier League quality at 16/17, just that he had a lot of potential.

When compared to other midfielders like Parker, Milner etc, he's got plenty of time being only 18. As said Parker was a much better player at 20/21, Milner is an important player for Villa at 24.

He never get anywhere near Gerrard's level, but Parker and Milner both made their England debuts when they were about 23 (had to look that up). Five years is a long time and a lot of football, don't see why Shelvey can't at least be a good Premier League player in that time.
  • Options
    I think that some of you are underestimating the lad's ability.
  • Options
    "He's far and away the best footballer in the squad" to quote on of this year's first-teamers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On a Side note Uncle has he been invite to the play off legs/Final if we did get there I would like to have the opportunity to thank him for the part he has played this year
  • Options
    By saying he's not a "wonderkid" I just meant he's not ready to play for England at 18/19, like Rooney was. Obviously very talented, was our best all round player when it came to attacking.
  • Options
    Claridge hasn't got a clue about anything except for artificial hairgrowth and Millwall
  • Options
    Wasn't surprised at all when he picked Millwall as the team he thought would win the play-offs on the Football League Show.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I think that some of you are underestimating the lad's ability.

and others are probably overestimating it. The reality is somewhere in between, but he has an outstanding opportunity now to prove how good he actually is as he will hopefully be given a chance to play against the best. The truth is that Jonjo has had some very good games in a Charlton shirt, but on other occasions has looked ordinary in a league 1 team. Some will argue that he hasn't played in his best position, others that he is still young and will improve and become consistent etc. but for me he hasn't shone in enough games for me to be convinced that he'll be able to consistently up his performances with the best. I remember a similar aged Micahel Carrick playing in what is now the Championship with Swindon Town and week in week out he was being mentioned as the stand out player in their games. This was very much the case when we went there and scraped a 2-1 win in a match where he dominated the midfield. Jonjo hasn't yet reached that sort of level of consistency or been the stand out in enough matches and until he does, he will be viewed as inconsistently as his game, by those who analyse his overall performance.
  • Options
    When i spoke to Jonjo after the Leeds game he said he will be at the playoffs.

The day i listen to Steve claridge on who or what makes a good footballer is the day that i stop going he was an ok 2nd tier footballer but no where near in the league of Kenny Dalglish and i know what Kenny thinks about Jonjo.

No one has said he is the finished article but he was the best gifted and nutural footballer that our club had or in somes opinion from within have had in the last 20 years.

Current squad members and ex players that have been in and around our club since JonJo emerged have told me that,

And it really pees me off that we have been denied watching him grow into the player that most in football believe he will
  • Options
    good post No.1...
  • Options
    I have it on good authority that Jonjo didn't just attend, he paid for his ticket.

Now, I don't know about you; but when I was 18 I did precious little that I didn't absolutely have to and I wasn't a millionaire footballer moving to one of the biggest clubs in the world, so I'd probably not have bothered showing up for a party that I had helped to arrange, if I was being made to pay for the priv. . But that's not our Jonjo. He showed up to support his mates. Just like he showed up at the PoTY dinner when he didn't have to and signed autograph after autograph and posed for pictures patiently. Just like he showed up to the U18s game against Chelsea on a freezing cold evening. And not a bit of this has been trumpeted. He could easily have had a pop at Parkinson - having had a multi million pound move to a top club, plenty tabloids would have been interested in hearing him unload on the manager that didn't play him regularly in League One - but he wouldn't do that, and upset our push for the line

Dunno whether he'll learn from Gerrard or not (hopefully not the glassing and diving), but I think he could certainly teach a few of his new colleagues - and indeed the rest of us - a thing or two about quiet class.

*Salutes Jonjo*
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I have it on good authority that Jonjo didn't just attend, he paid for his ticket.

Now, I don't know about you; but when I was 18 I did precious little that I didn't absolutely have to and I wasn't a millionaire footballer moving to one of the biggest clubs in the world, so I'd probably not have bothered showing up for a party that I had helped to arrange, if I was being made to pay for the priv. . But that's not our Jonjo. He showed up to support his mates. Just like he showed up at the PoTY dinner when he didn't have to and signed autograph after autograph and posed for pictures patiently. Just like he showed up to the U18s game against Chelsea on a freezing cold evening. And not a bit of this has been trumpeted. He could easily have had a pop at Parkinson - having had a multi million pound move to a top club, plenty tabloids would have been interested in hearing him unload on the manager that didn't play him regularly in League One - but he wouldn't do that, and upset our push for the line

Dunno whether he'll learn from Gerrard or not (hopefully not the glassing and diving), but I think he could certainly teach a few of his new colleagues - and indeed the rest of us - a thing or two about quiet class.

*Salutes Jonjo*

Very nicely put.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Saw Jonjo last night in the car park after the game. He was proudly showing off his brand new black Audi A5 convertible. Lovely car.

We followed him out of the car park & I was glad to see that he indicated correctly before taking the turns. LOL. Good luck Jonjo, and watch out for those scouse folk nicking your hub caps!!