Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
Subject to medical.

From the OS

Shelvey discussing move to Merseyside
Charlton have given Premier League side Liverpool permission to speak to 18-year-old midfielder Jonjo Shelvey about a transfer, the Addicks confirmed on Tuesday evening.

Liverpool will pay an initial £1.7m for the England youth international, with further potential payments depending on domestic and international appearances.

Shelvey travelled to Merseyside on Tuesday to agree personal terms and undergo a medical, the results of which won't be known until Wednesday.

As part of the potential transfer, the two clubs are also in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions.

Shelvey became Charlton's youngest debutant when he made his first-team bow against Barnsley at Oakwell in April 2008, aged just 16 years and 59 days. He is also the club's youngest FA Cup and league goalscorer.

The Romford-born attacker has made 48 appearances and scored eight times for the Addicks, including four goals in the current campaign.

Comments

• Options
    Good luck Jonjo, sad to see you go so early but it was always on the cards. Look forward to welcoming you back one day at the Valley.

Uncle - Don't you go buggering off anywhere now - You're one of us!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Was expecting at least an initial £2.5mil - £3mil. It is a drop in the ocean for Liverpool. Feel completely ripped off.

Of course I wish him the best of luck.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    £1.6m initially pretty disappointing considering what he'll hopefully be worth one day. Fantastic deal for Liverpool, no risk at all at that price. They'll be able to sell him for that even if he struggles.

And notice "the two clubs are also in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions." Just hope we don't lose any other decent prospects to Liverpool, as there are a few coming through. Maybe we'll get a decent player or two on loan, but that's never happened in these link ups before.

Personally I'll be looking out for how he does. Really hope he becomes as good as we thought he could and plays for England. There will be people that watch him for the first time and say he's nothing special, but given time and a bit of luck along the way I think he can really develop. Players like Gareth Barry and even Frank Lampard took a fair few years before they got to the level they are now, not every good player is fantastic in their early 20s.

Better players will benefit him for one thing. Now he can create chances for David N'Gog instead of Akpo Sodje...
  • Options
    hopefully the "talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions" will benefit us.
    when did shelvey become an "attacker" btw?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    £1.7m up front with add-ons for a player who played fewer than 50 games, scored just eight goals and didn't cost a penny. In my view, that's a great bit of work.

He's a super player with bags of potential. In our position, we can't *afford* potential. So well done for cashing in now. And all the very best of luck, Jonjo. I hope you'll go a long, long way. And I'm sure you will.
  • Options
    I think those expecting greater money were being wholly unrealistic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Was expecting at least an initial £2.5mil - £3mil. It is a drop in the ocean for Liverpool. Feel completely ripped off.

me too, totally underwhelmed by whoever the hell negotiated that, complete joke

good luck to Jonjo though, all the best
  • Options
    So we jumped for joy when he decided to sign for us and not do a Bostock - and then we wait 12 months and give him away.
    We didn't even wait to see if we were promoted!
    Deeply disappointing,

As for this "agreement" - if it means losing our best youngsters in exchange for getting their players fit on loan, then fcuk off.

This is really depressing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I think those expecting greater money were being wholly unrealistic.

probably so, but it's the hope that gets you

Compared with what Leeds got for Delph... is Jonjo a quarter of the player?
  • Options
    £1.7 million takes the **** at least we know why Parkinson hasn't been playing him now.

The joys of being a third division club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    F*** it.

Damn shame. Gutted in the same way as when i saw parker demolishing wigan at the weekend.

Good luck Jon Jo. Dont blame you. Cant get a game for inconsistent Charlton but good enough for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Either poor management for not seeing what they can or manager under orders from above to keep him warehoused. If that is the case and we are now forced to sell our most promising asset for a relatively paltry amount we must be in trouble.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    Compared with what Leeds got for Delph... is Jonjo a quarter of the player?

Villa overpaid for Delph, everyone can see that now, and learn from it.

A number of clubs were interested in Delph so it was pushed up by the bidding. From what i heard last summer, there wasn't really any real widespread interest in JonJo, bar a couple of measly bids from Chelsea. An unflattering 12 months later, i'd be suprised if that had changed.

Delph was one of the main players in the Leeds team last season, and was getting wide acclaim throughout football for his appearances. For one reason or another, JonJo hasn't this season.

Good luck JonJo, really hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]hopefully the "talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions" will benefit us.
    when did shelvey become an "attacker" btw?[/quote]

Lets hope its better than the Inter / Valencia / etc player exchange
  • Options
    And another thing, didn't we have a link with both Valencia and Inter Milan - we didn't get anything out of either of them.

£1.7 million for a player that when played at the start of the season had us top of the league and flying - can't believe how angry and fecked off I feel right now.

I feel as bad now as I did when we sold Scott Parker.
  • Options
    so how much did the Goonershit pay for Walcot ? £8 million or Spurs for Bale or Villa for the Leeds guy?------- £5 million or Moan Utd for Smalling ?---- £10million

we get £1.75 for Jon jo --------------- yep im totaly unrealistic !! its crap--- sh+t--- shrapnel---- loose change----- Garrads lawyers got more. Even double that would be cheap.

lucky if we get £200K to spend next year.
  • Options
    and what about the PLAYOFFS!!!!! ?????????
  • Options
    I'm pleased for the boy. This could also keep us affloat.He did the right thing by us unlike the likes of Defoe

Does this mean he won't be in the play offs or can he give us a decent send off there ?

There would be a lot of Liverpool youngsters who could be good loanees for them especially if we get in the CCC.
  • Options
    Do we even get him for remainder of the season or is that the last we've seen of him?
  • Options
    Pisstake fee, Parky's either lied or bottled his comments when he said that he would want more than £8mil, it should be a £5mil deal at the very least. Should of held them to ransom, I know we need the money but should we go up this summer I doubt our finances will look at all as bleak, could of waited until then at least, I'm sure if we refused this offer they would have come back with a better one or Chelsea could of jumped in, fee is a total joke!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I think those expecting greater money were being wholly unrealistic.[/quote]

Why? Wasn't it confirmed that Chelsea offered £3.5mil?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/aug/04/chelsea-jonjo-shelvey-charlton-youth
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]Pisstake fee, Parky's either lied or bottled his comments when he said that he would want more than £8mil, it should be a £5mil deal at the very least. Should of held them to ransom, I know we need the money but should we go up this summer I doubt our finances will look at all as bleak, could of waited until then at least, I'm sure if we refused this offer they would have come back with a better one or Chelsea could of jumped in, fee is a total joke!
    As I told you earlier, Parky won't have had anything to do with any fee, and we're in no position to hold anyone for ransom
  • Options
    Have been thinking the reason he wasn't playing was not just down to Parkinson. We'll probably never know though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Uncle - Don't you go buggering off anywhere now - You're one of us!

Seconded, Hands off Uncle, Rafa he's not for sale at any price!!!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]Pisstake fee, Parky's either lied or bottled his comments when he said that he would want more than £8mil, it should be a £5mil deal at the very least. Should of held them to ransom, I know we need the money but should we go up this summer I doubt our finances will look at all as bleak, could of waited until then at least, I'm sure if we refused this offer they would have come back with a better one or Chelsea could of jumped in, fee is a total joke![/quote]
    As I told you earlier, Parky won't have had anything to do with any fee, and we're in no position to hold anyone for ransom[/quote]

We're not exactly in Palarse's shoes where we face going bust tomorrow tho, as I said could of waited till the summer and if Liverpool wanted him that bad I'm sure they would have made a second bid.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]Pisstake fee, Parky's either lied or bottled his comments when he said that he would want more than £8mil, it should be a £5mil deal at the very least. Should of held them to ransom, I know we need the money but should we go up this summer I doubt our finances will look at all as bleak, could of waited until then at least, I'm sure if we refused this offer they would have come back with a better one or Chelsea could of jumped in, fee is a total joke!

When did Parky ever mention those figures...not saying he didn't but I certainly never heard of it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]
    As I told you earlier, Parky won't have had anything to do with any fee, and we're in no position to hold anyone for ransom
    He probably only would have signed for Liverpool or West Ham, can't assume we could just wait for Chelsea/Man City whoever to offer more and sell him to them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Have been thinking the reason he wasn't playing was not just down to Parkinson. We'll probably never know though.

Precisely. Parky doesnt want to upset anyone upstairs with his job never having being 100% secure since the off and so no doubt will take the wrap for it.

Really unsettling if that is the state of our finances. Cant think of another player in our squad that would go for more than that and he was the jewel in the crown when it came to potential and potential transfer fee.

Takoever soon please cos we havent stabilised at all on this evidence.
  • Options
    What a shame. I know £3M was unrealistic, but this fee feels distinctly underwhelming.

What I'm left with above all, is the feeling that we had one of the best talents in years and then underused him to the point where we betrayed his act of good faith in signing the contract last year. I can't say I'm surprised that he's off - I hope that he doesn't resent the club due to what happened; I wouldn't blame him if he did.

So farewell Jonjo, I hope to see you in an England shirt one day. Thanks for being decent about everything and the best of British luck to ya.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Victor Moses went to Wigan for £2.5mil plus ad ons, and they were keeled over in a position where they had to accept ANYTHING

says it all really
  • Options
    yes i mean watching Jon Jo playing at Old Trafford or Yoevil in the rain ? cant see Uncle leaving here really -------- can you ?