Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    do you reckon his virus will show up in the medical?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]do you reckon his virus will show up in the medical?

lol
  • Options
    If everyone goes back 12 months and think we could have got less. By hook or crook, the board or parky convinced him to stay. I always thought it would be just a year, especially when we went down. We need all to accept where we are as a club, these things will continue. Yes, it hurts a hell of a lot but let's stick together and support the club like we know we can

Good luck jonjo
  • Options
    Gotta first of all say good luck Jonjo. I'm one of Parky's biggest fans here but in this case, I really don't understand why he hasn't played more. The fans moaning about 4-4-1-1 being too defensive didn't help but he should have kept it regardless, we haven't given our most talented player enough playing time in my opinion. If he really did turn down Chelsea for more playing time here, no one can have any complaints.

1.7m is a bit disappointing mind as Parky mentioned that he was worth as much as Delph last season though...
  • Options
    [cite] Scoham [/cite]As said we don't know any more details or what the clauses are, or just how much better we could have done, or why it's happening in April. If we find out some of that, then it can be judged a bit more fairly.

I would like to think that Mr. Murray will release a statement. We deserve that surely
  • Options
    Goodbye and good luck to Jonjo. Thanks for all the memories, mate - not in the first team where you were hardly given a chance but in the U16s, U18s and reserves. You're a diamond and Liverpool are lucky to have you.
  • Options
    I don't understand the timing of this and just gutted didn't see enough of him.

Good luck JJ
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks everyone for all the lovely messages i'll make sure i get him to read them...I'm also gutted he never played more or got to stay for the play offs but see ya Saturday

Oh and better add Good luck Jonjo I think you'll do fantastic there and become the star i know you are .
  • Options
    Just read something from someone who claims he knows one of Jonjo's mates (he plays for Leyton Orient). Apparently it was pretty much all sorted back in January and that other clubs were interested (chelsea offered double wages and they'd buy him a house) but his heart was set on Liverpool by then.

Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham are disappointed apparently

Probably all ballcocks but thought I'd give it an airing anyway
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Thanks everyone for all the lovely messages i'll make sure i get him to read them...I'm also gutted he never played more or got to stay for the play offs but see ya Saturday

all the best... as for the not staying for the play offs phrase that confirms our fears really, we'll never see him in a CAFC shirt again... you'd think 2009-10 is already over.

Good luck in the future Jonjo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck jonjo thanks for signing new contract last season.1.7 MILLION Charlton must need the money.That can be the only reason for the transfer of the player now.See you again in pre-season friendly.
  • Options
    We shouldn't be talking about add-ons; we should be demanding a larger up-front fee. Whatever financial clauses there are, we do know that we won't be getting any decent players from Liverpool in return.
    Firstly, nothing ever comes from these so called partnerships
    Secondly, if Liverpool have any decent youngsters to loan out, why do they need ours in the first place?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Just read something from someone who claims he knows one of Jonjo's mates (he plays for Leyton Orient). Apparently it was pretty much all sorted back in January and that other clubs were interested (chelsea offered double wages and they'd buy him a house) but his heart was set on Liverpool by then.

Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham are disappointed apparently

Probably all ballcocks but thought I'd give it an airing anyway
    Maybe, but it would explain an awful lot. Just shows how desperate we are for money at the moment. It may very well stave off the a word for a while longer.
  • Options
    Charlton always get shafted when it comes to transfer fees. Darren Bent was the one exception and even then we ended up accepting less by factoring the debt to fund the excesses of Dowie and / or Pardew.

Gutted that Jonjo has been a virtual leper for so long and thus we have seen so little of him but he has quality and will go on to have an excellent career at the top level.

I wish him all the best.
  • Options
    "Shelvey to Liverpool" is the headline for USA's ESPN Soccernet website
  • Options
    i wont say how i feel i will let the dust settle and the boy move off

good luck jon you know what me and nljr thought of you your a good lad from good stock and i know you will do well

pp you disapoint me again
  • Options
    The Club has obviously reconciled itself to third division football next season despite all the rubbish on the OS.
  • Options
    Very disapointing if not unexpected news.

I take the timing of this news alongside the early st renewal date as meaning the shit is about to hit the fan or has narrowly avoided doing so. Lets hope its the latter.

As for Jonjo, I hope he's a massive success up there.it's been a joy to watch him develop and he's always handled himself impecably, I'm just gutted we didn't get to see more of him before he went.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: (1984)[/cite] I hope he's a massive success up there.it's been a joy to watch him develop and he's always handled himself impecably, I'm just gutted we didn't get to see more of him before he went.

1984 sums it up for me.
    Good luck Jonjo.
  • Options
    The extra year was signed, in my opinion, as a thank you from jonjo for us giving him a chance. He was always going to ho regardless of game time. Come on guys, it's to Liverpool not boro or forest. This is massive fir the lad. Can't blame parky, just the decision making of the board prior to jonjo's emergence.

Good luck once again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Firstly- good lcuk to Jonjo- hope you go on to do well at Liverpool and maybe even for England. Great potential and genuinely gutted we did not see the best of you on a more regular basis.

However is this is a sign that the board are desperate for money as I am surprised this did not happen till the end of the season when we would have had more time to negotiate and get a better price.

Such a shame that the money we get will only go towards repairing the mess that we are in thanks to similar amounts of money being spent on pony players.

Liverpool must be laughing- we spent 2million on their worst player, they have spent less than that on perhaps our best!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]The extra year was signed, in my opinion, as a thank you from jonjo for us giving him a chance. He was always going to ho regardless of game time. Come on guys, it's to Liverpool not boro or forest. This is massive fir the lad. Can't blame parky, just the decision making of the board prior to jonjo's emergence.

Good luck once again.

Thinking about it if this deal has been brewing for some time then Parky was probably under orders not to play Jonjo too much in case he got injured.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The usual perfect timing from the board.

Liverpool have mugged us off big time. Just to think, we were comfortably beating them a few years back.

Good luck Jonjo, hope it goes well for you.
  • Options
    Good luck Jonjo
    So much for the board being fans of the club with its best intrests at heart???
  • Options
    he has to move on to develop cos in recent years we have been a graveyard for footballers career development
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Liverpool must be laughing- we spent 2million on their worst player, they have spent less than that on perhaps our best!

Fantastic analogy on what has happened to our club since 2005.
  • Options
    Typical Charlton... We always lose every asset we have, and this time we haven't even seen the best of this one... Sadly with our current set up, this would have still happened even if we were still in the Premier league.
    The fee is a joke... I believe he'll be worth loads more in the future, and no doubt we won't truly benefit.
    Sean McGinty, now this... It just makes a mockery of Valley Gold.
  • Options
    Truth is we are a third division club with a board who need to sell the club. Promotion looks unlikely and therefore cuts are enevitable. 1.7 million was probabley just to much money for the club to turn down. I think the potential player development exchanges is inovative and hope it proves fruitful. Good luck Jonjo.
  • Options
    As I suspected, Shelvey has been "warehoused" since January to keep this deal safe, I think we can all see that now.

This 1.7 million might not be as much as we wanted but it will keep up afloat - for now.
  • Options
    Good luck Jonjo and well done the club for getting that amount, even if he will probably be worth a damn site more in the next few years.

Maybe some of the Parky bashers might come back to planet earth now.

Bad timing for us (fans) but good for the club, if we got the bid after choking in the play offs it might have been half that amount.