Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    Probably good job we dont know the ins and outs.

The timing going into the play offs is hardly gonna be a lift for the supporters is it?
  • Options
    Can't say I'm that excited about the financial aspect if the deal, 1.7m seems distinctly on the low side, especially given he fits the home grown player system, unlike 90% of his new Liverpool teammates - I suppose we don't know what the add-ons are.
  • Options
    Jonjo, Jonjo you're a c*nt

Abuse him againt Leeds
  • Options
    so he didn't have a virus on saturday .....
    just the sort of news to give the team and supporters a right lift before the end of the season....grrrrreat
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Can't say I'm that excited about the financial aspect if the deal, 1.7m seems distinctly on the low side, especially given he fits the home grown player system, unlike 90% of his new Liverpool teammates - I suppose we don't know what the add-ons are.

Thing is if he is good enough to warrant add ons such as appearances for LIVERPOOL, England caps etc then surely he is either good enough to play for us? Or at least command a much higher fee.

Or we truly are up shit creek financially and are not being told. Its all well being asked to hand over thousands for 5 years season tickets etc but if we are in serious serious money trouble we should be told.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Jonjo, Jonjo you're a c*nt

Abuse him againt Leeds

64 posts in and the first idiot strikes
  • Options

Abuse him againt Leeds

Oh, FFS.
  • Options

Abuse him againt Leeds

Why? Stupid comment Nathan but I wouldn't expect anything else from you mate.
  • Options

Abuse him againt Leeds

Shut up you prick. Tell him that to his face and see what happens.
  • Options
    Good luck Jonjo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]McGinty wasnt in the same bracket at Shelvey. Yes he had some ineffective games for us like every 18 year old has. Im sure even Messi had a few off days when before football experts like Clive Tyldsley noticed him and started fidgeting in their Y fronts.

Anyone who saw him and his influence in games like orient away will surely see we have let a potentially great player go for what we probably paid Christianssen in wages.

Seriously are we gonna be playing in the SELKENT league all bringing our own boots before people will allow criticism of what is happening at our club without insisting we all keep blind faith and accept what is happening.
    I've said it seems a bit low, wasn't saying it was fine. It's fine criticizing the club, but in this case but we don't know the details, we don't know just how bad our financial situation might be etc.

It's not blind faith, we simply don't know the details yet, and maybe we never will. Just moaning about the board doesn't help, maybe it is genuinely the best deal we could have got and we desperately needed the money. Yes things could be that bad.
  • Options
    Well done admin for deleting the Nathan posts
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Yep - our board are shit at negotiating these deals.

Andy Gray (good fee received), Amdy Faye (got him out of here when we needed to), Bougherra (had to be sold and we got a sell on). The list goes on
    McGinty - good money considering 99% of Addicks still never heard of him

I know it might seem we've been shafted but we are in no position to play hardball, Liverpool know this and we just need to make the best of a pants situation. If that means getting some of the academy kids from Liverpool down here then that's something to look forward to.
    If it means we have a club to support in 6 months then that's a good thing.

You also don't know if Jonjo expressed a desire to depart.....you couldn't blame him

As I said previously - we don't know all the details and probably never will

Swisdom, I often find myself nodding in agreement with a lot of what you post on this board, so please don't take this the wrong way........... BUT, I don't believe there are too many of us that would defend the board on their transfer policy post Curbs. We have continually sold some of our best assets and have never been able to replace them with anything close to adequate in return.
  • Options
    I think it might be the latter, Rodney.

It is likely that we really have no choice how things go down from here.

I actually think that, if this is the case, keeping it quiet this long is a sterling effort. I can't see the point in advertising it!
  • Options
    I'll add my voice to many on here. This is inevitable, but still deeply disappointing...

I'm also having trouble understanding the timing of this, both for on-field reasons, and morale reasons. There must be a significant reason why this had to happen now, because otherwise the timing is just wrong.

Now, back to hoping for a result Saturday and in the playoffs! :-)
  • Options
    I accept Shelvey is off, in terms of both his stance and the stance of the club, what stinks is the timing and the fee, and dressing it up in wishy washy soundbites trying to soften the blow from a mediocre down payment
  • Options
    Who has got us in the financial situation if not the board ultimately Scoham?

Gone from being a model club in the black to being in obvious financial woe. That doesnt just happen overnight and its not just cos of relegation.

*cue pardew/dowie rants*

If we were (as some of us are) shareholders and saw a business being managed in a way whereby our assets were being sold as if we are in administration surely we'd pipe up then.
  • Options
    Babel on loan for us?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I would like to know if the £1.7mil is enough to pull us through as well though or if we will have to keep on selling in the summer pending promotion.

What if somebody like Doncaster or Scunthorpe come in for Bailey or Semedo in the summer at say £500k? Would we be able to turn it down? I think probably not.
  • Options
    I accept Shelvey is off, in terms of both his stance and the stance of the club, what stinks is the timing and the fee, and dressing it up in wishy washy soundbites trying to soften the blow from a mediocre down payment

Exactly the point.

He was always going to move, but we have been shafted on the timing and the fee.

Looks like the board don't think we will win the playoffs then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Honestly? Neither do I!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Who has got us in the financial situation if not the board ultimately Scoham?

Gone from being a model club in the black to being in obvious financial woe. That doesnt just happen overnight and its not just cos of relegation.

*cue pardew/dowie rants*

If we were (as some of us are) shareholders and saw a business being managed in a way whereby our assets were being sold as if we are in administration surely we'd pipe up then.
    Yes of course a lot of it is down to the board. They've also stopped it getting a lot worse. Pardew and Dowie's signings didn't help either though did they? Two relegations makes a huge difference as well. Anyway not worth getting into that, it's all been discussed many times before.

When people defend the board, others say "are we supposed to just accept it and be quiet?". It's made out as if moaning on here about the board will get the message across and it'll change something.

As said we don't know any more details or what the clauses are, or just how much better we could have done, or why it's happening in April. If we find out some of that, then it can be judged a bit more fairly.
  • Options
    Lets be honest. Liverpool are paying for potential - nothing more. There is no guarantee that he will be good enough to ever get anywhere near their first team - hence the (hopefully) loaded add-on's.
    Jonjo has not been in the shop window for quite some while now which, to me, suggests that it was probably the plan of the club to offer up their 'prize asset' at the end of the season.

Like others have stated, the timing concerns me though - both in possible reasons financially and in the message it puts out for the run in.

If (and it's a big if) we get to see some of the Liverpool prospects as part of the deal then it could be interesting - I would think that some of their prospects dropping down a league or two should show a difference in class similar to that expected of our lads at Welling for example.

Anyways....good luck Jonjo!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Honestly? Neither do I!

Would we even have the money to keep us in Championship now. Cant imagine it if we cant afford to keep our best players.
  • Options
    Wish him all the best for the future and hope he becomes a star. Just a shame we got such a crap deal
  • Options
    Gutted... ta la jonjo my son, dont slag us off eh... see you sooner rather than later for a nice welcome home for ya ;-)

Up The Addicks!!!
  • Options
    For everybody moaning about the fee - remember that Jonjo was in no way obliged to sign a deal with us last year. He did, but as was said at the time that deal may well have had a ceiling release clause. I rather suspect that it did. It feels like we've been shafted, but if he walked last year then we would probably have ended up with even less. I don't really blame the board or player. He's earned us a few quid and (if I'm right) they agreed to a deal that was necessary to keep him for a year. I am rather miffed at the timing of this (surely could have been announced in one month's time) and that he's not been utilised enough. Up against the better teams we've not had that X Factor to break through sturdy defences. That's what Jonjo can bring - and the playoffs would have been a great stage to sign off. The timing here could be yet another expensive error.
  • Options
    Anyone else having horrible visions of what will happen if we go 1-0 down on Saturday? :-D

I can almost hear the abuse now.
  • Options
    Apparently there's going to be some sort of deal between the clubs, which means we could become a sort of feeder club to them. Lovely!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]For everybody moaning about the fee - remember that Jonjo was in no way obliged to sign a deal with us last year. He did, but as was said at the time that deal may well have had a ceiling release clause. I rather suspect that it did. It feels like we've been shafted, but if he walked last year then we would probably have ended up with even less. I don't really blame the board or player. He's earned us a few quid and (if I'm right) they agreed to a deal that was necessary to keep him for a year. I am rather miffed at the timing of this (surely could have been announced in one month's time) and that he's not been utilised enough. Up against the better teams we've not had that X Factor to break through sturdy defences. That's what Jonjo can bring - and the playoffs would have been a great stage to sign off. The timing here could be yet another expensive error.

Makes sense.