Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    Not sure we could realistically expect much more for a player who - for whatever reason - has not held down a place in a League One team.

We always knew that signing the professional contract was only delaying the inevitable, and to go to a club like Liverpool must be a dream come true.

Good luck to him - really hope he gets a chance with them to show what he can do and fulfil his potential (and that we then get some decent money in further payments on the back of it).
  • Options
    good luck jon jo. Hope you go on to great things an ill frame that picture of me handing you your man of the match award on my 40th. There were 20 of us an mainly non charlton supporting but they all voted for you that day as they saw your talent especially when i told them you were only sixteen. Congrats. Shame we didnt see more of you this season for reasons i dont know why. Good luck lad. An ps i am right in the head cheeky fecker.
  • Options
    We don't know the in's and outs of the deal so suggest we get off Parky and the Board's backs just now.

Who's to say we aren't getting a few excellent youngsters as part of any deal.
    Who's to say we aren't getting a large sell-on clause

We just don't know.

The inevitable has happened and we all knew it was one of two clubs that would turn his head - I for one have the utmost respect for Jonjo over this whole deal.
    He signed a new deal to guarantee us a decent fee. He has not bitched or moaned all season despite not being regularly in the first team. You can see how much he loves to play the game and he is going to play alongside one of his idols in Stevie G.

Good luck Jonjo - and thanks for what you've done for the club.

You will always get a grand reception when you come back to the Valley and I hope you get all manner of silverware
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]Pisstake fee, Parky's either lied or bottled his comments when he said that he would want more than £8mil, it should be a £5mil deal at the very least. Should of held them to ransom, I know we need the money but should we go up this summer I doubt our finances will look at all as bleak, could of waited until then at least, I'm sure if we refused this offer they would have come back with a better one or Chelsea could of jumped in, fee is a total joke!
    As I told you earlier, Parky won't have had anything to do with any fee, and we're in no position to hold anyone for ransom
    He probably only would have signed for Liverpool or West Ham, can't assume we could just wait for Chelsea/Man City whoever to offer more and sell him to them.

I'm not sure I believe in fairytales like that in today's game. An agent wouldn't let it happen for a start.
  • Options
    Shame about Shelvey leaving but inevitable.

None of the fee will go back into rebuilding the side. In fact we will have spent it covering operating costs by the time the next season begins.

Liverpool held all the cards on this one. Our financial situation is plain to see. We had to sell but at least we are financially covered for a couple of months.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Who's to say we aren't getting a few excellent youngsters as part of any deal.

We just don't know.

When have we ever done a turn out of club affiliations, sell-on clauses, appearance fees etc? It's just the way it's always been.

CAFC once again getting f***** up the a***, exactly how it feels
  • Options
    Well said Swisdom.

He also signed not just one contract, but the extension, which could have only pushed the fee up.
  • Options
    Where's Seth Plum? How many years salary will that cover? ;-)
  • Options
    £1.7m - feels like we've been mugged. chances are parky, or whoever is manager come the summer, wont get a penny of it to use on new players. on the plus side at least we've get some decent liverpool youngsters on loan next season - maybe including shelvey.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]We don't know the in's and outs of the deal so suggest we get off Parky and the Board's backs just now.

We just don't know.

Cos history tells that we always get shafted in these sort of deals. Sorry but i really have lost faith in the board since Curbishley left and this seems desperate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not happy but if it means that we don't end up in the utter shit like some clubs then so be it. At least we get a lot more than we would have done had Jonjo did what Bostock did. I'm very dubious about this link with Liverpool but maybe we'll get a few decent loans off them. Reality sometimes sucks but we are where we are!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    As part of the potential transfer, the two clubs are also in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions."

Cue picture of Keith Peacock holding Liverpool scarf aloft at Anfield.

£1.7 shows what a mess we are in.

For me as Im a fan of Jonjo, one of the most poor fees for such a talented player.

We paid that for that talentless berk McLeod!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]We don't know the in's and outs of the deal so suggest we get off Parky and the Board's backs just now.

Trust me, we won't - we won't see anyone decent, we've been shafted.
  • Options
    Aye good luck lad. 4 goals and 6 assists in 19 games obviously not creative enough for Parky.

At least there are some that can recognise those match winning moments you're able to produce.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Cos history tells that we always get shafted in these sort of deals. Sorry but i really have lost faith in the board since Curbishley left and this seems desperate.
    Didn't do badly with McGinty to Man Utd last summer, nearly £500k on a player that had only a few appearances for the u18s, plus clauses.

We've made money here and there through sell on fees and clauses. Just because we don't here about them doesn't mean we never put them into the deals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Cos history tells that we always get shafted in these sort of deals. Sorry but i really have lost faith in the board since Curbishley left and this seems desperate.
    Didn't do badly with McGinty to Man Utd last summer, nearly £500k on a player that had only a few appearances for the u18s, plus clauses.

We've made money here and there through sell on fees and clauses. Just because we don't here about them doesn't mean we never put them into the deals.

How did we get £500k plus clauses for the almost unheard of McGinty who had never played yet only treble that for Shelvey who's been hyped to high heaven and played 50 times? I'm puzzled.
  • Options
    I'm a little bemused, why did this deal have to be done now. Couldn't it wait till 1st June? Did we need the money that soon? Were we scared Jonjo would be injured in the play offs? It does not make sense to me.
  • Options
    No idea about the ins and outs of the deal - but at least he might get appreciated up at Anfield. Good luck to him - we need that cash.
  • Options

McGinty wasnt in the same bracket at Shelvey. Yes he had some ineffective games for us like every 18 year old has. Im sure even Messi had a few off days when before football experts like Clive Tyldsley noticed him and started fidgeting in their Y fronts.

Anyone who saw him and his influence in games like orient away will surely see we have let a potentially great player go for what we probably paid Christianssen in wages.

Seriously are we gonna be playing in the SELKENT league all bringing our own boots before people will allow criticism of what is happening at our club without insisting we all keep blind faith and accept what is happening.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]

How did we get £500k plus clauses for the almost unheard of McGinty who had never played yet only treble that for Shelvey who's been hyped to high heaven and played 50 times? I'm puzzled.
    I thought/hoped we'd get a bit more, maybe £2.5m, was never going to much more than though while we were a League One club and he was in and out of the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I'm a little bemused, why did this deal have to be done now. Couldn't it wait till 1st June? Did we need the money that soon? Were we scared Jonjo would be injured in the play offs? It does not make sense to me.

My sentiments exactly, even if there was a deal in place why couldn't it stay behind the scenes? What kind of atmosphere in the dressing room or in the fansbase do we have now with potentially five games remaining when the fire sale has begun?
  • Options
    Well really this is all Steven Gerrard's fault....
  • Options
    As a side note I wonder if season ticket sales would have been affected if fans knew this deal was going through? Not me but maybe some see this as the last straw.
  • Options
    This also gives me a very bad feeling that we are now in the 'utterly desperate' bracket. We could be in for a very difficult next few months......
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Can't help but feel concerned about the timing of this transfer. My gut feel is that the " strategic partnership" may be more beneficial in appeasing the fans and providing us with some crumb of hope during the summer, than anything that will benefit us long term. Good luck to Jonjo, wherever he plays his football next season and I hope it works out well for him at Liverpool in the long run.
  • Options
    Yep - our board are shit at negotiating these deals.

Andy Gray (good fee received), Amdy Faye (got him out of here when we needed to), Bougherra (had to be sold and we got a sell on). The list goes on
    McGinty - good money considering 99% of Addicks still never heard of him

I know it might seem we've been shafted but we are in no position to play hardball, Liverpool know this and we just need to make the best of a pants situation. If that means getting some of the academy kids from Liverpool down here then that's something to look forward to.
    If it means we have a club to support in 6 months then that's a good thing.

You also don't know if Jonjo expressed a desire to depart.....you couldn't blame him

As I said previously - we don't know all the details and probably never will
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]This also gives me a very bad feeling that we are now in the 'utterly desperate' bracket. We could be in for a very difficult next few months......

also "a come and get them cut price" signal to our rivals too. If we are accepting that for a player whos no where near his peak what sort of silly offers are going to be made over the summer for the others.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]As a side note I wonder if season ticket sales would have been affected if fans knew this deal was going through? Not me but maybe some see this as the last straw.

Probably why they took my money about 2 months ago!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]As a side note I wonder if season ticket sales would have been affected if fans knew this deal was going through? Not me but maybe some see this as the last straw.

Probably why they took my money about 2 months ago!

Yeah, I'm already paying for next season's ticket now!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Seriously are we gonna be playing in the SELKENT league all bringing our own boots before people will allow criticism of what is happening at our club without insisting we all keep blind faith and accept what is happening.

look count yourselves lucky we have a club

let's all laugh at palace/newcastle/spurs/millwall /whoever ....