Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]No offence NSS but what do you hope to achieve by posting that? Looks like your stirring if you don't back it up.

my sentiments exactly

if you know something why not just say it rather than leaving it open ended. There's more than enough conjecture on here - why not give us something concrete

Because i asked him not to thats why
  • Options
    fair enough, respect your wishes and those of your family but these things are probably better left unmentioned
  • Options
    Well I'm baffled and my powers of deduction have been exhausted so I'll leave it at that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]fair enough, respect your wishes and those of your family but these things are probably better left unmentioned

what he said.
  • Options
    Very foolish to say you know something but not reveal what it is. Just don't post. Can only serve to cast a cloud of suspicion over the man who is trying to get us out of this league. What's the point in that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: (1984)[/cite]Well I'm baffled and my powers of deduction have been exhausted so I'll leave it at that.

haha one guess... you could never have driven the mystery machine!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just seen this, quite surprised tbh - didn't think anything would happen until after the play-offs.

If I'm honest, I'm not that disappointed. The kid's clearly got potential but he's a long way off the finished article (which is not a criticism, he's only 18 after all). I'd have liked to see him play more, there were times he might have made a difference, but I haven't seen him have a really good game for us this season. Realistically he was always going to be sold before he started to produce the goods properly consistently. If we were still Championship we might have been able to hang onto him for longer but once Liverpool came calling was there ever going to be much the club could do? Fee is maybe a little disappointing, but as I've said, he's failed to really impose himself on tier 3 of English football - that would suggest he's not at that level yet that would demand the really high fees. Lets hope we've negotiated well on the 'added extras'.

Shame we didn't do this in January and buy Barnard.
  • Options
    LMFAO, HE AINT TRYING HARD ENOUGH
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    i think you said that 3 minutes ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]but I haven't seen him have a really good game for us this season

Orient away
    Wycombe away

two MoM performances there
  • Options
    thank you that man
  • Options
    Exiled are you completely insane . Aint at the level of tier 3 football yet one of the biggest clubs in the country have just bought him for nigh on £5 million yes that right £5 million. I cant understand some people on here
  • Options
    Fact is, if JJ was played in the right position regularly over the last 4 months, we'd have a few more points.

It remains a mystery.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]y have just bought him for nigh on £5 million yes that right £5 million

Oh hello.
  • Options
    and that is a fact good night everyone
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Exiled are you completely insane . Aint at the level of tier 3 football yet one of the biggest clubs in the country have just bought him for nigh on £5 million yes that right £5 million. I cant understand some people on here

eh eh eh... this can't be the Essex arithmetic letting us down again

come on unc spill the beans with this one! Is the nearly £5mil involving any attainable objectives? Ie. no 1,000 appearances / 500 goals / 200 caps?
  • Options
    if it is a case of the board revealing the deal before the play offs, because if we didnt go up we'd get even less for him, then they bottled it big time.
  • Options
    If we can get the £1.7million for him then that's brilliant business, league one was too physical for him and if we don't go up then I can't see him doing any better with us next season.

All I can say is good luck to him.
  • Options
    Burton is Jamaican.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Burton_4_England[/cite]

Don't let 59 Jamaica caps stand in your way fella!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Burton is Jamaican.

damn the statistical hold-up!
  • Options
    5 mill is a bit more like it, though still not enough compared with delph ect.

why 5 mill now though uncle?
  • Options
    are we including wages ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]but I haven't seen him have a really good game for us this season

Orient away
    Wycombe away

two MoM performances there

Wasn't at either ISaw, so can't comment. I'm sure if you're telling me he played well then he did. Don't get me wrong - I'm disappointed in that I'd rather keep him and I wish him all the best, he didn't do a Bostock/Defoe on us and we've got some money. I guess I've just always accepted he'd be gone before we got to see the best of him, so seeing him go isn't a shock and I don't feel let down by anyone.

There have definitely been times when he should have been more involved and he's had good games or at least good moments in games, but as you'd expect from an 18 year old (and many older pros) he's had some poor games too and because of that I don't subscribe to the opinion that not playing him is why we've not done better. At this precise moment I don't feel he's a massive loss to the team (still a loss, just not a huge one). He's a massive loss to a potential future team, but with our league position and financial state a Charlton team containing a 22-24 year old Jonjo at the peak of his powers was always a bit of a pipe dream.

Like I say, I don't think anyone has let us down, Jonjo signed a deal and made sure we could negotiate a fee, Parky, I believe, had good footballing reasons for not playing him more although I know lots of us would have played him more, and the Board have to recoup some money and are having to do it when English football is broke and we're in a very weak bargaining position.

It's a bit shit, but that's life sometimes.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]I wish him all the best, he didn't do a Bostock/Defoe on us and we've got some money.

the key for me, whatever Jonjo is getting out of it and in dosh and a footballing stage he's getting plenty, he's made sure we'll get our bit
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Burton_4_England[/cite]

Don't let 59 Jamaica caps stand in your way fella!
    lol!

I don't think I said it before but all the best Jonjo.
  • Options
    Good luck Jonjo. The board needed to do what they needed to do. He hasn't played as well as we all hoped this season. We need the money to survive. We sold Robert Lee to get back to The Valley, sometimes these things need to be done. The sell on clauses could be good and we may get some of Liverpools youngsters but at least we will carry on.

Let's get behind the team and show some support rather thasn constant Parky and The Board bashing. I'm sure that they would rather have not sold him but when the needs must then that is what has to happen.
  • Options
    I am assuming that the 5m quoted by Uncle is if every clause is reached ie x appearances, x England appearances, x goals. If so the only figure that matters at the moment is 1.7m as everything else is a maybe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Exiled are you completely insane . Aint at the level of tier 3 football yet one of the biggest clubs in the country have just bought him for nigh on £5 million yes that right £5 million. I cant understand some people on here

Why insane? As I've said he's had good moments and bad ones in this league. Liverpool are buying his potential, which we all agree is at a high level, but it's his current ability that dictates whether he plays for us at the moment - if he was worth £5m pound for his current ability he'd be in our team.

If he reaches his full potential, he could be worth £20m as the finished article - that's why Liverpool are paying £5m (which I presume is what you're being told is the maximum value of the deal). to them he's an investment because they feel they can add value. Like buying a house which needs doing work as opposed to a shiny new build (although Jonjo is fairly newly built and does have quite a shiny head! ;-0 )