Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]I wish him all the best, he didn't do a Bostock/Defoe on us and we've got some money.

the key for me, whatever Jonjo is getting out of it and in dosh and a footballing stage he's getting plenty, he's made sure we'll get our bit... modern day Rob Lee!

sorry mate cant quote from the other page. Dont know the full details yet but was just told that its nearer 5 mil than 1.7. I believe that is just the initial transfer fee not sure about add on's. This being the case then the lad's not done to bad for charlton at all and hopefully some will go to transfers

Burton-4England what a plum of the highest order you are
  • Options
    Don't let him get too big for his boots unc... can you promise us he'll keep his nova? ;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Good luck to the lad.Said for ages that Shelvey needs nurturing sooner rather than later.Just not sure if Benitez is the man to do it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Just not sure if Benitez is the man to do it.

he probably won't be...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Godd luck to the lad.Said for ages that Shelvey needs nurturing sooner rather than later.Just not sure if Benitez is the man to do it.

yeah but isn't super Hugh MacAuley there reserve team manager ?
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    Is Liverpool his preferred club? Training with Steven Gerrard and learning to link with Torres is going to be awesome experience for him! Ha ha :D
    Cheers and good luck Jonjo!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Semedo-4-Scotland[/cite]

Hahahaha

Racon for North Korea?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Exiled are you completely insane . Aint at the level of tier 3 football yet one of the biggest clubs in the country have just bought him for nigh on £5 million yes that right £5 million. I cant understand some people on here

Why insane? As I've said he's had good moments and bad ones in this league. Liverpool are buying his potential, which we all agree is at a high level, but it's his current ability that dictates whether he plays for us at the moment - if he was worth £5m pound for his current ability he'd be in our team.

If he reaches his full potential, he could be worth £20m as the finished article - that's why Liverpool are paying £5m (which I presume is what you're being told is the maximum value of the deal). to them he's an investment because they feel they can add value. Like buying a house which needs doing work as opposed to a shiny new build (although Jonjo is fairly newly built and does have quite a shiny head! ;-0 )

Well saying you have never seen him have a good game (how many have you actually seen) and not up to tier 3 of english football (someone at liverpool disagrees) 6 assists and 4 goals in 20 games say's that he must have had some kind of impact even if you and parky failed to see it
  • Options
    Best of luck Jonjo. I know you're only 18 but was really hoping you'd have a Lee Bowyer type first (full) season and set alight the 3rd rate division. You didn't!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: stevietwells[/cite]Best of luck Jonjo. I know you're only 18 but was really hoping you'd have a Lee Bowyer type first (full) season and set alight the 3rd rate division. You didn't!!!

through no fault of his own. He wasn't played nearly enough and when he did he did more than okay and 6 assists and 4 goals in twenty games says it all really.
  • Options
    Some of you live in cloud cuckoo land

Gerrard ain't getting no younger and Jonjo is a similar sort of player and I can't think of a better player than Gerrard to learn from for his style of play

AFKA is right, there is no money sloshing around for premiership clubs to take potshots on youngsters like SKY would have you believe, and if the deal is uncle says it is then we have done very well.

Phil Parkinson has acted pretty responsibly now all things considered, as narked as I was he wasn't in the team it was obviously for a sensible reason

Hope he gets a chance there though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I am assuming that the 5m quoted by Uncle is if every clause is reached ie x appearances, x England appearances, x goals. If so the only figure that matters at the moment is 1.7m as everything else is a maybe.

No large thats not the case the near 5m is not with the add on's
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I am assuming that the 5m quoted by Uncle is if every clause is reached ie x appearances, x England appearances, x goals. If so the only figure that matters at the moment is 1.7m as everything else is a maybe.

No large thats not the case the near 5m is not with the add on's

really? how comes we are reporting the £1.7mil figure then...i'm confused
  • Options
    Interesting Unc.
  • Options
    Suprised its liverpool, with all the potential change at that club coming up soon, but still - all the best to him, really hope he has a fine career at the top level.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Phil Parkinson has acted pretty responsibly now all things considered, as narked as I was he wasn't in the team it was obviously for a sensible reason

and you know that how ? None of us know why he wasn't played more. It is just as likely because Parky didn't rate him, didn't think him good enough or didn't know how or where to play him. On the other hand he MAY have been told not to play him but from comments from those close to Jonjo that seems very unlikley.
  • Options
    I just hope that this isn't just Liverpool's way of increasing their English quota and that he does get the opportunity to play on our greatest stage (and not used as sparingly as Parky has in recent months).

The irony of us getting top dollar for Scotty Parker shouldn't be lost since, as beneficial as it was for us financially, it effectively stalled his career. He was always going to be at the back of the queue at Chelsea and would have been better off going to somewhere like Aston Villa where he would have been a first choice and in the shop window when it came to International honours. Jonjo's situation is different because he is younger but, more to the point, less experienced but the sentiment remains the same.

Anyway good luck Jonjo, go prove us right and fulfill that undoubted potential.
  • Options
    really? how comes we are reporting the £1.7mil figure then...i'm confused

Charlton will get £1.7M and his agent £3.3M :o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]I wish him all the best, he didn't do a Bostock/Defoe on us and we've got some money.

the key for me, whatever Jonjo is getting out of it and in dosh and a footballing stage he's getting plenty, he's made sure we'll get our bit... modern day Rob Lee!

sorry mate cant quote from the other page. Dont know the full details yet but was just told that its nearer 5 mil than 1.7. I believe that is just the initial transfer fee not sure about add on's. This being the case then the lad's not done to bad for charlton at all and hopefully some will go to transfers

Burton-4England what a plum of the highest order you are
    If really is closer to £5m that's a pretty good deal.

Don't think I've said good luck yet, it's a great opportunity for him and I'm sure he'll give it his best just like he did for us.

Have always enjoyed watching him play, knew we had a promising player when I first saw a bit of him in the Victory Shield on TV, but especially after seeing the Sheff Utd FA Youth Cup game. Actually around 3 years ago I first saw his name, was mentioned on the OS when he made his u18 debut at 15, while the first team were getting relegated from the Prem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to the fella. In their own way Liverpool are almost as skint as we are and it might be good for the 'English Game', whatever that is, if clubs like Liverpool start taking a punt on useful UK youngsters rather than overrated Europeans.

Liverpool are one of the world's great clubs and his family should be very proud of him.
  • Options
    Dont know why they are saying 1.7M .

Large your right he wasn't told not to play him it was nothing to do with this transfer it was to do with his choice
  • Options
    Well saying you have never seen him have a good game (how many have you actually seen) and not up to tier 3 of english football (someone at liverpool disagrees) 6 assists and 4 goals in 20 games say's that he must have had some kind of impact even if you and parky failed to see it

Uncle, please re-read what I said

Not seen him have a really good game this season. - No assertion he's done nothing good or not had good games ever.

"Not at that level yet that would demand the really high fees." - No mention of Tier 3 there, just an opinion that he's not been been able to boss many games or nail down a regular spot in the side and I acknowledge that's perfectly reasonable for an 18 year old.

He's not as important to our immediate future (playing wise) as Dailly, Bailey, Semedo or Burton but if he progresses well, he'll go on to be much better than any of them. All I was saying is that we've probably reached the point, partly because Jonjo hasn't managed to become a key player for us yet, that getting money for him is more important than having him as a playing option.

I see lots of good in Jonjo as a player. Hopefully Liverpool will be able to further build on his strengths and improve his weaknesses. If they can he'll be a very good player and I wish him well.

Anyway, we'll be buying him back as soon as the takeover goes through, which I gather should be happening any day now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BrentfordAddick[/cite]Good luck to the fella. In their own way Liverpool are almost as skint as we are and it might be good for the 'English Game', whatever that is, if clubs like Liverpool start taking a punt on useful UK youngsters rather than overrated Europeans.

Liverpool are one of the world's great clubs and his family should be very proud of him.

nice sentiments, with which i agree wholeheartedly
  • Options
    Best of luck to Jonjo. Don't blame him one bit for anything that's happened and can only wish him the very best for the rest of his career. Hopefully we'll be able to welcome him and the Liverpool team back to the Valley one day.

I don't understand why the OS would keep the £5m figure quiet
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]I don't understand why the OS would keep the £5m figure quiet

It only says an "initial" £1.7M, so maybe more in a month, 3 months .............. they'll tell us soon enough.
  • Options
    Exiled here is what you put and you'll clearly see the mention of tier 3.

Fee is maybe a little disappointing, but as I've said, he's failed to really impose himself on tier 3 of English football - that would suggest he's not at that level yet that would demand the really high fees
  • Options
    Assuming the deal is anything like what’s being speculated then the board are to be congratulated. We ain’t Premier League no-more, 3rd division clubs have got no bargaining power or influence! I wonder what people thing we’ll get for Bailey or Sam if we don’t get promoted. Bet it won’t top £1m each or £1.5m the pair!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stevietwells[/cite]Assuming the deal is anything like what’s being speculated then the board are to be congratulated. We ain’t Premier League no-more, 3rd division clubs have got no bargaining power or influence! I wonder what people thing we’ll get for Bailey or Sam if we don’t get promoted. Bet it won’t top £1m each or £1.5m the pair!

BOGOF
  • Options
    I really, really hope Uncle's info is accurate.