Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Boom[/cite]Sorry, not read through all the posts, but Unc do you realistically think JJ will actually get a game for the scousers? You look at Jack Hobbs who "the reds" snapped up from the imps in 2005 for a decent fee (for a 16 year old). He's now doing very well for the other LCFC, And Leicester - after a couple of years or so of joining "the reds". IfJJ ends up going out on loan to the likes of say Derby, as he moved on? What say your Mr Uncle?

Yes actually i do. And if he doesn't get injured i bet you it will be between 15 and 20 games at least

In their premiership 1st team?, no disrespect, but he's struggled to get in our league 1 first team!!, I admire your loyalty, but think this is a somewhat blinkered view. Don't get me wrong, I love him, hope he does well and would love to think your prediction will come true as I suspect that many appearances in his first season would see a nice little bonus coming our way.
  • Options
    Shame we couldn't get more, still we obviously need the money

Good Luck Jonjo, would like there to be a clause he can be loaned back to us for a season

Would also love him to still play a part in the remaining games although i doubt we will risk it :o(

Sad times, who next bailey???
  • Options
    My problem is that he's gone to ruddy Liverpool. I bloody hate Liverpool!

Thanks Jonjo, I'm going have to want the scousers to win now!

Good luck lad, great move for you. You were class on and off the pitch for Charlton and I'll always buy you a beer when I see you.

Oh, but can you bring your annoying uncle with you? ;-)
  • Options
    i think uncle is referring to booms comment "IfJJ ends up going out on loan to the likes of say Derby, as he moved on? What say your Mr Uncle?"

uncles response "Yes actually i do. And if he doesn't get injured i bet you it will be between 15 and 20 games at least"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Gutted good luck to the kid and well done to the club for selling a great player cheaply again and costing us promotion
    Selling Jonjo now will not be the reason we dont go up IF we don't go up.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2010
    People do realise Jonjo has probably had a say in this as well?

We're not in the same league as Liverpool anymore despite how many people still seem to live in that world - we can't compete. I understand people are angry because we have not seen as much of Jonjo as we wanted but in my hearts of hearts I really am not sure if we'd be better off now regardless if he played every game. Obviously something none of us will ever know.

We're skint.
    We need money.
    We sell a saleable asset.

I think thats what it boils down to.

Whether Parky plays him or not is and the reasons behind it are something we'll never know unless we get uncle really drunk.

We're a third tier club, we have third tier players, we have a great academy that produces players which keeps this club going. That's where we are. For now.

It may change, it may not. We'll see.
  • Options
    Gutted we wont be able to see the best of him in a Charlton shirt, The Premier league will suit his style of football so much more then this league 1 rubbish. Parky should have played him so much more. Hopefully he has a great career at Liverpool and at international level. I really think if we made the playoff final he would be the one to shine and get us promoted. Would be nice if we get promotion for Liverpool to loan him back to us. Good luck JJ you will be missed.
  • Options
    so Uncle will you still be bothering with charlton now? going to games, on here etc.
  • Options
    Good Luck Jon Jo for your sake and for the add ons.

Fee seems small but I can't imagine that we were in a great bargaining position. Still not happy with it even if it is needs must and that money keeps us going next year. accept yes, happy no.

Will believe the strategic set up when I see it.

As for Liverpool dislike them as a club and not sure that it is a good choice. Other than Mellor and Warnock who has come through their youth ranks in recent years?

Benitez doesn't play their kids and may well soon be off meaning that there is a new manager who may not fancy Jon Jo.

Still, how can you say to a player "don't go to one of the top clubs in Europe" (well they were once)
  • Options
    Good luck Jonjo.
    Look forward to seeing the golf swing celebration in front of the Kop instead of the Covered End.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Good Luck Jon Jo for your sake and for the add ons.

Fee seems small but I can't imagine that we were in a great bargaining position. Still not happy with it even if it is needs must and that money keeps us going next year. accept yes, happy no.

Will believe the strategic set up when I see it.

As for Liverpool dislike them as a club and not sure that it is a good choice. Other than Mellor and Warnock who has come through their youth ranks in recent years?

Benitez doesn't play their kids and may well soon be off meaning that there is a new manager who may not fancy Jon Jo.

Still, how can you say to a player "don't go to one of the top clubs in Europe" (well they were once)

i noticed in the shelvey valuation thread you mentioned a "reliable source" pricing shelvey at 15million henry? you wont be getting that source to value any of your possessions will you?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Boom[/cite]Sorry, not read through all the posts, but Unc do you realistically think JJ will actually get a game for the scousers? You look at Jack Hobbs who "the reds" snapped up from the imps in 2005 for a decent fee (for a 16 year old). He's now doing very well for the other LCFC, And Leicester - after a couple of years or so of joining "the reds". IfJJ ends up going out on loan to the likes of say Derby, as he moved on? What say your Mr Uncle?

Yes actually i do. And if he doesn't get injured i bet you it will be between 15 and 20 games at least

In their premiership 1st team?, no disrespect, but he's struggled to get in our league 1 first team!!, I admire your loyalty, but think this is a somewhat blinkered view. Don't get me wrong, I love him, hope he does well and would love to think your prediction will come true as I suspect that many appearances in his first season would see a nice little bonus coming our way.

With all due respect he didn't struggle in our first team he just didn't have players around him with the same vision. If in talks yesterday they said he would play at least 15 1st eam games next season i'm not sure anyone on here can really say he wont
  • Options
    Congratulations to Jon Jo on getting his dream move, shame this thread has de-generated into a slag the club off thread when NONE of you actually know the full terms of the deal. (Neither do I by the way!)

Ah well, look forward to seeing Jonjo playing in Europe next season on TV, make us all proud of you fella.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    at the end of the day i feel he has underachieved since being given the opportunity although he will most likely blossom around better players and go onto be an england player but then people said the same about parker but it never happened for him. also the clubs existing financial problems are more important than one player exactly the same as when robert lee was sold, we should be grateful we had a player that has solved a short term problem.

i just hope we can benefit from the "link up" and get liverpools better youth team players on loan. it could transpire to be a great bit of business long term
  • Options
    surely holding this deal under water till after the play offs would have been more beneficial to all
    we could have gotten insurance in case jonjo got injured
    a small premium to pay for a greater prize that is promotion
    we might do it without him
    but i can only think having him available for selection to start or more than likely to come off the bench in these most cruial of play offs would have been better for all concerned
    big match experience for jonjo and a potential matchwinner for us
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]With all due respect he didn't struggle in our first team he just didn't have players around him with the same vision.
    This is a very pertinent point.

It often looked like Jonjo, when playing, got utterly frustrated with players around him. Maybe he is just too good for where we are now, to a detriment of the team.

He'd tried to be clever and we just dont have clever players. Its a shame, and seems a ridiculous reason but maybe not that wide off of the mark.
  • Options
    Good Luck to the Lad I've enjoyed watching him play and hope he goes on to great things.

I'm more alienated with this club than I have ever been at the moment I have no interest in going saturday.

I understand the finacial problems at the club but the timing of this ultimately stinks. A few weeks ago R.Murray told us buy your tickets for Norwich and Leeds were in this together going for promotion. Surely this could have waited a for seasons end before coming out.

What message does this send to ourselves, fellow promotion chasers and the playing staff.

Unc hope he scores a cup final winner for them one day always had a soft spot for both merseyside clubs
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Congratulations to Jon Jo on getting his dream move, shame this thread has de-generated into a slag the club off thread when NONE of you actually know the full terms of the deal. (Neither do I by the way!)

Ah well, look forward to seeing Jonjo playing in Europe next season on TV, make us all proud of you fella.[/quote]

I have no problem with the deal even if it's the 1.7m quoted, my main concern is the timing could have been better
  • Options
    Sorry I haven't read through every post, but can anyone explain how this deal can be concluded outside the transfer window? Would love him to be involved in the playoffs, but can't see it happening now.

Hopefully this link-up with Liverpool can work; I know nothing ever came of the Inter/Valencia links, but Swindon have had some success with Premiership loanees this season.

Don't think I'll see a 16 year old dominate a game as he did against Coventry in the 4-1 win for a long time. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Boom[/cite]Sorry, not read through all the posts, but Unc do you realistically think JJ will actually get a game for the scousers? You look at Jack Hobbs who "the reds" snapped up from the imps in 2005 for a decent fee (for a 16 year old). He's now doing very well for the other LCFC, And Leicester - after a couple of years or so of joining "the reds". IfJJ ends up going out on loan to the likes of say Derby, as he moved on? What say your Mr Uncle?

With all due respect he didn't struggle in our first team he just didn't have players around him with the same vision. If in talks yesterday they said he would play at least 15 1st eam games next season i'm not sure anyone on here can really say he wont

That's a fair point, his best performances for us were when he was playing alongside another technically gifted, cultured, pass and move midfielder in ZZ.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t think he has underachieved, Jon Jo is a creative player, and was never able to create anything in this up and atom league. Whenever he was on the ball you always felt he could create something out of nothing, sadly he never got the chance as the ball was always flying over his head. I think Parkinson used him all wrong this season, he dropped him completely when he had a bad game, and brought him back in when we was struggling, that must have fcuked his confidence right up, A lot of the fans didn't help either getting on his back against Carlisle after missing a couple of chances but what most of them failed to realise we created shed loads of chances in that game with him in the team, So what does Parkinson do the next game Drop him, well done Parky. As long as he gets first team football at Liverpool within the next couple of years he will become a top player.
  • Options
    FROM THE LIVERPOOL ECHO

A scorer of seven goals in 42 appearances for the Addicks, Shelvey is set to undergo a medical at Melwood and, once everything goes through, he will join the Reds at the end of May.

Does this mean he stays for the play offs?
  • Options
    timing sucks.....
  • Options
    This is just so typical of Charlton. I was privileged to see Jonjo play, only four times, but he scored twice against Swindon and Wycombe.
    To me he was a class above, a cross between a young Hoddle and Gerrard. Had he been played more, I have no doubt that some of those costly 1-1 draws would have instead been wins. I have read through all the posts, and my conclusion, rightly or wrongly, is that Jonjo has become disillusioned with the lack of action and has decided to activate a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave if the right offer came in. Can't say I blame him at all. I blame Parky for not playing him and the board for backing a man, who, although he is doing his best, is just not good enough.
    1.7 million is a joke, but 5 million would be about right. Anyway good luck Jonjo and please don't ever forget which club gave you your chance.
  • Options
    I am so glad he is signing for Liverpool Football Club. JJ's abilities will be nurtured properly there, alongside Gerrard as his role model. JJ must be in dream land, good luck to him.

And, so, so glad he has snubbed Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, and the like. Thanks JJ you probably didn't do that for us but it feels like it anyway!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nickaspanner[/cite]I don’t think he has underachieved, Jon Jo is a creative player, and was never able to create anything in this up and atom league. Whenever he was on the ball you always felt he could create something out of nothing, sadly he never got the chance as the ball was always flying over his head. I think Parkinson used him all wrong this season, he dropped him completely when he had a bad game, and brought him back in when we was struggling, that must have fcuked his confidence right up, A lot of the fans didn't help either getting on his back against Carlisle after missing a couple of chances but what most of them failed to realise we created shed loads of chances in that game with him in the team, So what does Parkinson do the next game Drop him, well done Parky. As long as he gets first team football at Liverpool within the next couple of years he will become a top player.

your right what you say about him being dropped and having balls fly over his head and its also right to say that he looked a better player alongside ZZ, but great players still stand out in average teams and he hasnt because he isnt a great player yet . i think based on the fact we are talking about potential we got a good deal and with the link up and short term financial fix it was a good deal. the timing sucks a little but according to the gossip he wont join Liverpool until the end of May so maybe he will play on until the end of the season, and maybe just maybe with his dream move sealed we will see the best of him.
  • Options
    About the timing, he was linked with them in the media a few days ago, perhaps it was better the club admitted it rather than try to hide it. It would have probably come out eventually anyway.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Gutted good luck to the kid and well done to the club for selling a great player cheaply again and costing us promotion
    Selling Jonjo now will not be the reason we dont go up IF we don't go up.

Surely you dont believe that the transfer was done and dusted over the weekend and concluded Monday,they were no doubt made an enquire last year when we were flying, then put a bid in, i would then suggent that club said no as we had have a chance of promotion but if we dont get automatic promotion you can have first refusal at the said agreed fee, the club then stop playing Shelvey, IMHO this has cost us promotion where he hasnt figured in certain in which we could have won if Shelvey was playing, the club were scared to lose the money should JonJo fail a fitness test.
    Also the player development, is this the same sort of development in which we had with Inter Milan, the club should have waited until the summer, there will be alot of players moving around, Rodwell is tipped to go to Arsenal, Milner to Man U, and i could wuite easily have seen both Everton and Villa making a move for Shelvey. These are also clubs in which would have developed the player rather than sitting in the stiffs as Parker did at Chelsea. Bad business for the club both short and long term and not the ideal move for Shelvey as i think in walks of life it has to be a progression in your work life, the jump may just be a bit to big to soon, however thats just my opinion
  • Options
    im sure this all explains the distractions which have affected his performances and why he has been kept out of the team more often than not but then again everyone has been saying this for months, its no surprise. parky has probably been told to keep quiet about it and had his hands tied. none of us really know what goes on behind the scenes do we?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]and i could wuite easily have seen both Everton and Villa making a move for Shelvey.
    We know Liverpool was where he wanted to go though. Maybe the club knew they were the only club seriously interested?